PDA

View Full Version : How to get a toned stomach..

Cloudsofsand
10-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I want to tone my stomach more because a few of the character I do require belly shirts. I am not over-weight or fat at all. I am more on the average-skinner side (123 pounds, 5'4) But I am just curious if anyone has any GOOD ideas that actually WORK on getting a toned tummy that doesn't require a gym membership or equipment?

zssfanxxx
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe try doing jogging or some crunches.
I should try jogging too ._.

kikikitty1423
10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Personally, sucking it in(your stomach muscles) a bit helps as well. ^_^; When you do that along with standing up straight, your muscles get used to it pretty quickly, and soon it will do it naturally.

But like zssfanxxx said, crunches and jogging are good. If you live near a beach, I suggest running in the sand. Also, basic stretches work wonders when you do them often enough. In the past few months, I myself stretch more and more often(due to being in Color Guard at my school), and for me at least, its worked.

Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I apologize.

Rjr3412
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
There a a few different reasons that can prevent someone from having a "toned" stomach or visible abs.

Luckily none of them require a gym membership to fix.

Body Fat - Regardless of how many crunches you do as long as you have any body fat covering up your abs they will not be visible, toned or otherwise. To deal with this, a slight reduction in calories and some cardio can work wonders.

Water Retention - If you are bloated, or retaining water, it is going to soften your entire body, even when you have low body fat. Most likely this is either from not drinking enough water, too much salt in your diet, or for some females there can be other reasons.

Muscle Development - Everyone has abs. If you did not than you would have a whole ton of different issues. They are there, visible or not. If you do things like crunches, leg extensions and various other ab exercises you can grow and strength the abdominal muscles making them more easily visible and apparent.

Genetics - While every has abs, all abs are created differently. You'll hear talk of how some people have six packs and some have eight, while others only have four. Genetics determines what shape your abs will display at low body fat. Just because one may appear slightly more aesthetically pleasing in shape does not mean that you don't have an excellently toned stomach.

Basically, if what you stated is correct, that you have rather low body fat, than a bit of running/cardio and some ab exercises will do wonders.

Try to go for a jog 3-4 times a week for at least twenty minutes. If your heart rate isn't up and you aren't sweating than you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.
Try to add some ab exercises 2-3 times a week, no more, slightly less is okay. Ensure that you get both upper and lower abs. Basically crunch type movements hit the upper abs, leg extensions cover lower abs. There are a myriad of other choices as well, but that takes care of your basics. If you aren't sure how to do one of these then google will come in handy.

Good luck!

Edit - Kiki has a great point. Most people really don't know how to hold themselves properly. Proper posture and some slight tension with your stomach can work wonders. Keeping your back straight or even slightly arched, and a slight flex/tension while standing in your abs can make it look far far better.

distantarray
10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Genetics - While every has abs, all abs are created differently. You'll hear talk of how some people have six packs and some have eight, while others only have four. Genetics determines what shape your abs will display at low body fat. Just because one may appear slightly more aesthetically pleasing in shape does not mean that you don't have an excellently toned stomach.

everything sounds great but everyone has a 6pack the lower region makes up a 8pack everyone has them as well, but it's just depending on the body fat % to make them really pop out, you'll usually have to do weighted crunches etc which most people never do to get them to show.

It's also good to note that the mid-section DOES NOT recover faster than rest of the body which is a widely spread myth. The mid section is the only area where most people do not do weighted and do light sets. If you do 500 crunches 500 sit ups and 500 leg raises that's great but unless you use added resistance the muscles will quickly and easily plateau making your abs feel like they recover faster than others. Most people get too fixated on numbers causing them to not get sore as easily. If you've ever truly killed abs you'll know it takes just as long to recover if not more.

It's like doing benchpress with same weight, same rep you will plateau quickly and won't be sore from the same routine cause your body quickly adapts.

Rjr3412
10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=distantarray;3658730]everything sounds great but everyone has a 6pack the lower region makes up a 8pack everyone has them as well, but it's just depending on the body fat % to make them really pop out, you'll usually have to do weighted crunches etc which most people never do to get them to show.
QUOTE]

Lol, take a look at Olympia competitors. All in fantastic shape, all lift heavy, all at extremely low body fat/. Virtually all with differently shaped abdominal muscles.

distantarray
10-06-2010, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=distantarray;3658730]everything sounds great but everyone has a 6pack the lower region makes up a 8pack everyone has them as well, but it's just depending on the body fat % to make them really pop out, you'll usually have to do weighted crunches etc which most people never do to get them to show.
QUOTE]

Lol, take a look at Olympia competitors. All in fantastic shape, all lift heavy, all at extremely low body fat/. Virtually all with differently shaped abdominal muscles.

different shapes but they all have a 8pack :P

http://www.ifbbpro.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2007/results/olympia2007_mro.jpg

besides maybe ronnie coleman's big fat gut :P

Ghai
10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!
haha, sorry I saw Ronnie Coleman and it came out XD

crossrage
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
its all about eating healthy also,

try to eat more greens and fruits, and healthier types of meat. Ex) instead of beef try chicken or turkey

to get abs, it doesn't happen over night. Eat bananas because that'll help with the sore muscles and cramping. Drink WATER!!!!! NO SODA!!

jogging and doing crunches or bicycles (if u know what that is) helps along with V-ups and planks. hold the planks for atleast a min at first. do sets of 3 or 4 you may think its not that bad but i'd give it atleast up to 20 seconds until u can feel the burn/tighting of your abs. DONT FORGET TO STRETCH OUT YOUR STOMACH AFTER!!! you will feel extremly sore. Don't let this discourage you. also crunches, i'm not a really big fan of em because i dont feel them working but if you want, what you can do is toe touches.

lay on the floor and lift both your legs up vertically. then what you can do from there is that with both hands try to touch your toes in the air and do that for at least 20 times or more with sets of 3 or 4.

dont forget to stretch and drink water!!!

bkyoung
10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Rjr3412;3658787]

different shapes but they all have a 8pack :P

http://www.ifbbpro.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2007/results/olympia2007_mro.jpg

besides maybe ronnie coleman's big fat gut :P

i want lee priest's abs. he's what i aspire to look like some day.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/bianconero8/lee-2.jpg

adina201
10-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Do exercise for 35 to 40 minutes on a regular basis without fail. To get a tone stomach, concentrate on working out the abdominal muscles and also to build a healthy diet to help rid of excess abdominal fat that covers the abdominal muscles.

distantarray
10-20-2010, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=distantarray;3659015]

i want lee priest's abs. he's what i aspire to look like some day.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/bianconero8/lee-2.jpg

you 5'2 as well? o_O

http://www.europasports.com/flextime/images/shows/jackson.jpg

Dexter Jackson's abs ftw he's called the blade for a reason!

atlantisan
10-21-2010, 11:36 PM
So, if I want to get a flat stomach, basically I should just do cardio & drink lots of water? Like jogging/running for 20-30 min a couple times per week? Also posture, like sitting/standing up straight? I'm not fat by any means, but I do have a bloated tummy.

PhDPepper
10-22-2010, 12:18 AM
So, if I want to get a flat stomach, basically I should just do cardio & drink lots of water? Like jogging/running for 20-30 min a couple times per week? Also posture, like sitting/standing up straight? I'm not fat by any means, but I do have a bloated tummy.

tummy is a lot of bodyfat%, and its a tricky area to flatten, but yeah, for the most part its really just dropping your body fat down till your body doesn't store fat their anymore. Basically using slightly more calories then your taking in, so you'll need to use the stored fat up as energy. Building up some support muscles helps too, because it does what you mentioned of straightening up your posture. Making the assumption you don't want body builder abs, lol.

atlantisan
10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
@_@ That science. Nah, I don't want toned abs, just a flat stomach. I get it though, thanks!

32spartan11
10-24-2010, 02:13 AM
To tone your mid section you have to drop body fat percentage. To do that gotta use more calories daily than you intake.

Weight training is a great way to burn calories and tone, normally better than cardio. Mainly because cardio burns calories while your doing it and only then. while weight training will keep your metabolism going for up to 48hrs burning calories over time as well. Also the more muscle you have the more calories your body uses just to do basic functions so you'll burn more calories through out the day and look/feel better.

A great way to speed up your metabolism and burn some fat is to simply spread out your calories. If you normally eat 2000 a day in 3 meals, spread that out to six or seven small meals. This will speed up your metabolism and help lower your body fat if you eat right. Spread out your meals and drop down 300 cals and you'll lose a healthy amount quickly.

Probably the best thing to burn fat (workout wise) and get abs quick is to do sprints, ab routines and some compound exercise weight training. T

things that are just as important as a good workout is nutrition and rest. If your not getting enough sleep your body will release stress hormones which lead to storing more fat. Plus getting enough sleeps lets your body repair and heal from workouts.