PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers Help!

SKNeko
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Ah well, it's been a long time since I've been in this forum. But I'm still trudging along trying to get some weight off. I just recently moved back from Korea and while I was out there I lost twenty-two pounds and two pant sizes. But now that I'm back I gained fifteen pounds. And the math is kinda horrible: 10 mos in Korea= -22 pounds 3 mos in America=+15 pounds....

Either way, I've gotten into the gym, just last week, and I began Zumba and a dance class that burns about 750 calories, three days a week. This week, however, I've been told that I potentially have Rheumatoid arthritis and I have to stay off my knees (as they've swollen up on me quite a bit) I started weight watchers to try to get my eating under control since I can't exercise as much...but I absolutely hate it. Now I love to eat, testament being my current weight, I love food, I love cooking, and I love eating. Which is why I thought weight watchers would work, because I could still eat the foods that I wanted, only smaller portions. But it would seem that in order to really lose weight it's best to avoid certain foods all together. And eat things like fat free cheese. (If there's no fat what's the point in it being cheese?) For what it's worth I understand that I'm most likely looking at things the wrong way, but I feel even hungrier by the end of the day. In fact, I've gained four pounds from last week. It's a bit disheartening.

So what I really need is some help staying motivated. I really began to love exercising, but I have to stay off my knees. So I have to control my food instead. Or is there another way? It's all a bit frustrating.

I'm hoping to lose sixty pounds by July 1st Anime Expo and I have three cosplays that I'm trying to lose weight for. Son Goku -from Saiyuki, Cloud-really? Do you have to ask? And Lenalee-D. Gray Man

Erm...help!

Current Weight: 196
Goal: 135
Edit: Picture posted!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Shrenee/002.jpg

FYDave
10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Ah well, it's been a long time since I've been in this forum. But I'm still trudging along trying to get some weight off. I just recently moved back from Korea and while I was out there I lost twenty-two pounds and two pant sizes. But now that I'm back I gained fifteen pounds. And the math is kinda horrible: 10 mos in Korea= -22 pounds 3 mos in America=+15 pounds....

Either way, I've gotten into the gym, just last week, and I began Zumba and a dance class that burns about 750 calories, three days a week. This week, however, I've been told that I potentially have Rheumatoid arthritis and I have to stay off my knees (as they've swollen up on me quite a bit) I started weight watchers to try to get my eating under control since I can't exercise as much...but I absolutely hate it. Now I love to eat, testament being my current weight, I love food, I love cooking, and I love eating. Which is why I thought weight watchers would work, because I could still eat the foods that I wanted, only smaller portions. But it would seem that in order to really lose weight it's best to avoid certain foods all together. And eat things like fat free cheese. (If there's no fat what's the point in it being cheese?) For what it's worth I understand that I'm most likely looking at things the wrong way, but I feel even hungrier by the end of the day. In fact, I've gained four pounds from last week. It's a bit disheartening.

So what I really need is some help staying motivated. I really began to love exercising, but I have to stay off my knees. So I have to control my food instead. Or is there another way? It's all a bit frustrating.

I'm hoping to lose sixty pounds by July 1st Anime Expo and I have three cosplays that I'm trying to lose weight for. Son Goku -from Saiyuki, Cloud-really? Do you have to ask? And Lenalee-D. Gray Man

Erm...help!

Current Weight: 196
Goal: 135
(I'll post a picture when I have one)

Well before we really get in to number crunching, which I'd be happy to help with if you'd like, my immediate suggestion is that you could continue to do cardio with lower impact exercises such as a stationary bicycle or an elliptical machine. Of course, I also don't know the extent of your Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Watching what you eat is a big part of seeing results for a very large portion of those who exercise and seek to stay fit and aesthetically pleasing at the same time.

While the time frame that you have to lose that amount of weight certainly seems reasonable the thing you need to keep in mind is that if you do continue to exercise during this period it's quite likely that you'll notice an increase in muscle mass.

Muscle weighs more than fat and with keeping that in mind you might notice that you don't move towards your target weight quite as quickly as you'd like.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though you might not hit your target weight due to the increase in muscle mass regardless of the fat loss, you're going to appear slimmer than if you weight the same amount but that weight was comprised of more fat content.

If you have more questions or want some help, feel free to shoot me a PM. :bigtu:

JadeKat
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I can't say much as to the arthritis, but I really like Weight Watchers. It helps to do it with someone, though. If you don't have a friends to do it with you (I do it with my mom), sign up and go to the meetings - it helps to have someone else holding you accountable. Experiment a little - my friend substituted almost all of the ingredients in carrot cake (14 points) and got it down to 6 points, 5 of which are the icing. I'm a vegetarian, so I eat a lot of veggie burgers (1-2 points each) with some condiments (0-1 pt) on a sandwich thin (1pt) and it's pretty filling. You have to really try to get your veggies in!!

For the exercise - talk to you doctor or try visiting your local Curves (if you have one). My mom and I also do that. They work with you so that if there are certain machines you can't do because of your knees, you can still work your arms. There are some rickety little old ladies busting it out in there, so I think you might be able to work around your disadvantage. Just a thought. ^_^

BEST OF LUCK!

SKNeko
10-08-2010, 01:25 AM
I can't say much as to the arthritis, but I really like Weight Watchers. It helps to do it with someone, though. If you don't have a friends to do it with you (I do it with my mom), sign up and go to the meetings - it helps to have someone else holding you accountable. Experiment a little - my friend substituted almost all of the ingredients in carrot cake (14 points) and got it down to 6 points, 5 of which are the icing. I'm a vegetarian, so I eat a lot of veggie burgers (1-2 points each) with some condiments (0-1 pt) on a sandwich thin (1pt) and it's pretty filling. You have to really try to get your veggies in!!

For the exercise - talk to you doctor or try visiting your local Curves (if you have one). My mom and I also do that. They work with you so that if there are certain machines you can't do because of your knees, you can still work your arms. There are some rickety little old ladies busting it out in there, so I think you might be able to work around your disadvantage. Just a thought. ^_^

BEST OF LUCK!

Aside from the fact that it works for you and that's why you are a vegetarian, how is it being a vegetarian? I've been considering cutting out meats twice a week, but I'm a definite carnivore...I've always wondered how its done.

InkyDoo
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm currently back on weight watchers. I lost 40 pounds before and got off the program and gained that weight and then some back on but I really like and understand their point system. I would recommend going to the group meetings. I don't have time so I use the website and watch their videos and tutorials. They have some exercises that are more focused on the upper body if you want to check those out and if you need a buddy to help I'm more than happy to help another cosplayer out with weight loss and support.

Since I've been on weight watchers I've noticed I'm more aware of my stomach (Is it really full or hungry), drink a lot more water and I look at everything as points vs. calories which I find much easier to do then calculate calories (4 points vs. 250 calories) and I don't feel like I'm counting calories. The fact the program makes you keep track of everything helps. I ate healthy yesterday and still had enough points to enjoy a alcoholic beverage.

I've been wondering if there should a motivation thread for those looking to lose weight but I've been hesitate because technically the losing weight and cosplay thread already does that but Its so lengthy that I feel like it doesn't really help because the thread is full of many questions varying from building muscle, toning to weight loss. I think it would be nice to start a thread where it only focused on weight loss or I guess a little weight watcher cosplay support group.

If you need WW help or support you can PM if you want. I'm pretty familiar with the program and the website. It takes some getting use to but If you stay on it, it works.

zssfanxxx
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Try some jogging and dancing hunn.
But if you can't jog..just take long walks everyday.
Trust me..it helped me alot!:D

Tonksie
10-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I've been a member of Weight Watchers off and on for about 15 years. About two years ago, I became a lifetime member. I went from 204 lbs to 158 (I'm 5'9).

The thing about Weight Watchers, is that you can technically eat what you want, but at the same time, you have to eat less, so if all you're eating is unhealthy foods, you will be hungry, because you're not eating all that much in order to stay in your points range. The trick is to figure out a mix of the two, where you're eating healthy stuff the majority of the time, but still allow yourself the special treats so you don't feel deprived and binge. The program is really about teaching real life eating habits and common sense, which I love. I'd never be able to do one of those no-carb diets or whatever. Seems to me like you can't eat that way forever, so you'll gain the weight back as soon as you start eating normally again.
In regards to the "But it would seem that in order to really lose weight it's best to avoid certain foods all together" Which I'm glad to tell you is completely not true. I'm a dessert freak. I love to eat brownies, cookies, cupcakes, etc. and I've never bought a block of fat free cheese in my life. It's all about moderation. Did I need to have a whole box of oreos in 3 days? Probably not, I could've done with 1-2 per day.

I found what really helped me with hunger issues was to start out with a pretty healthy, really fiberful breakfast. I usually eat Fiber One cereal (the original brand), with banana or strawberrys or something chipped up into it. Fiber One is freaking amazing. It's got like 15 grams of fiber in a 1/2 cup, and only 60 calories (it works out to ~0 points, but I usually have a full cup, so 1). It's super filling, and surprisingly tasty. Drink a TON of water though, or it will wreck you the first week, lol. I always found that if you start out with a good breakfast, a) it will help motivate you to eat better the rest of the day, and b) I eat less overall throughout the day.

I also tried to break up my points into 5 smaller meals per day. I found that doing this made me feel like I got to eat all the time, and was never really hungry. I'd have my fiber one around 8am, then a snack (maybe a piece of fruit or a 100 calorie pack) around 10am, then a small lunch around 12:30 (like a lean cuisine, or a sandwich), then a snack around 3 (fruit/pretzels/ 100 calorie popcorn is amazing for volume eaters like me), and dinner around 6. Try to stock up on 0 point veggies that you like (for me, it was broccoli and carrots).

Drink LOTS of water. It really helps flush out salt and stuff. I actually hate drinking water, so if you do too, find a way that helps you drink it easier. For some people, it's a straw, for me, I find drinking out of a bottle I can squeeze helps me drink more.

Write down EVERYTHING you eat, even if you go waaaay over the points values. I once had a day where I had 56 points. But, in knowing that, the next several days I took care to eat a little under my points values, and put the 35 weekly points towards that 56 point day and ended up only gaining about 1/2 lb for the week. It really helps to keep track of it, and also give you kind of a mental check about what works and what doesn't.

If you like to cook, try to figure out healthier ways you can get to the same dish, i.e. instead of using massive amounts of butter in your mashed potatoes, use chicken broth (it's actually pretty delicious). Lemon can be a good subsitute for butter when steaming vegetables. A lot of the recipes in the weight watcher cookbooks are surprisingly delicious.

One more note about Weight Watchers- it's NOT a drop weight insanely fast program. They encourage losing weight at a slower rate because you're less likely to bounce back up again. Some weeks, you will gain weight, regardless of how well you do on program. You could be holding onto fluids, gaining muscle, etc. (btw, the saying "muscle weighs more than fat is incorrect. 1 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle both weigh 1 lb. Muscle is more dense than fat, so 1 lb of muscle will be smaller in volume than 1 lb of fat, which means that you will look leaner while at the same weight if it is muscle instead of fat. Sorry, I'm an engineer, we have weird pet peeves like this). If you have a week that you go up in weight for no apparent reason, keep on eating well and doing your thing, and usually you'll lose it and more in the next few weeks.

In regards to the exercise, I have bad knees and ankles, and I find that water aerobics and swimming are AWESOME workouts that puts very little impact on your joints.

This has been a very long rambling post, but it's very difficult to put 12 years of lessons learned the hard way into a coherent thought. Hope it helps! Don't give up! It took me a long time to figure out that if I had just stuck with it the first time, I wouldn't have had to go through so many life experiences unhappy with my weight.

Edit: Oh! And one more thing- Sometimes you can put on weight but still lose inches, so take all your measurements when you start, and then re-measure once per month (not during times that you know you'll be bloated). It can be soooo encouraging to see those numbers drop and know what you're doing is working.

Good luck!

JadeKat
10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Aside from the fact that it works for you and that's why you are a vegetarian, how is it being a vegetarian? I've been considering cutting out meats twice a week, but I'm a definite carnivore...I've always wondered how its done.

I really like it. You don't have to be as fastidious as me (I check ingredients to make sure there's not 'chicken stock' or whatever in things), but just not eating a hamburger or something like that twice a week is easily done. If you're not sure about it, experiment a lot. Try Morningstar (or was it Gardenburger?) brand 'Grillers' veggie burgers. They're quite like a hamburger (as I remember), so I don't care for them, but you might like them. Even the flavor and texture are close. or try a veggie burger at Burger King (not if you're on Weight Watchers because with the bun and mayo and all, it's 7 points!). They use the same brand, but a different style patty. I've been a vegetarian for almost five years now, and I don't miss meat at all (never liked it much in the first place). ^_^

SKNeko
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey, thanks everyone! Honestly I'm going to be putting a lot of this advice to practice. I got a little frustrated because I've never actually physically and mentally tried to lose weight before ( alittle here and there but never with any focus) and so changing habits is a hard thing to do. Still I'm going to try my best to keep going, and hearing all this advice has really motivated me. So I'll be posting my progress in order to keep myself motivated.

@ Inkydoo, I would definitely participate in a weight loss focused thread. I think it would be helpful.

@ zssfanxxx, in about two weeks I'll beable to get back on my knees. In Korea I was able to jog a mile three times a week, but since I got back I've only been able to jog half a mile twice a week. When I get back out there I'm going to work myself back up.

@ Tonksie, no, no ramble on. I shall soak up great knowledge! Honestly I want a life change more than just a physical change. Obviously I've got a health issue now, and of course I really want to slim down to look nice. But I really just want food to stop controlling me. And to cosplay. That would be great...

@ JadeKat, I think I'll give it a try. I keep hearing veggie burgers are good, so I'll see what they're like once or twice.

So, I've posted my pic in the first post. This is me at 196 pounds, and I'll post progress along the way just to keep me motivated. And my first cosplay (that I put major effort into) will be at my cosplay party at the end of the month, so I'll put up pictures of that.