PDA

View Full Version : creating Flayed or singed edges.

SilverCollie
10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm looking at creating my own Kamina cape from Gurren Lagaan.

This is an good example of what i'm aiming for: http://images.cosplay.com/photos/14/1423180.jpg

I'm inquiring what the best way to achieve they pattern at the very bottom of the cloak where you have the yellow flame. If it just a flat yellow stripe I know that all I would need to do was cut out the right size piece, hem it slightly to prevent fraying, then sew it on. However im not sure how you would put that complex shape on without cutting out the exact piece you would need with excess at the edges that could be folded in to hem to prevent fraying. thiers also the problem of preventing th fabric coming apart where you have ho

I'm new to Swing and this will be my first attempt at creating anything outside of pattern designs, and I have only worked with linen(which falls apart like mad) and poly-cotton so I'm still not 100% what the best what the best way to prevent the end of fabric fraying is, which is the cause of my problems. So any advice would be appreciated

benihime
10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
well, one way to go about it is to actually burn the fabric. just be sure to put it out when it gets too high up..

or you can rip it or just cut it out so it looks rip and then slightly hold a lighter close to the fabric

VickyBunnyAngel
10-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Burn that fabric! cotton singes like paper, so you can practice controlling the way it burns with paper first. If it's a cotton/poly blend, it's not going to fray like mad on you(or fray at all). Reason being is that the polyester will burn like melted plastic and basically seal the edges. Even 100% cotton doesn't fray that much when you burn it. Get a sample and test it out.

Although to get the browned/dirty edges, stain your fabric with tea rather than trying to brown it over a flame.