PDA

View Full Version : Ani-Magic Masquerade 2003

Rey-Rey
10-06-2003, 07:48 PM
As I mentioned in Tristen Citrine's thread, it was our second time doing the Masquerade.

I'd like to hear feedback from all of you. That is the only way we can make it better.

Personally, I thought it turned out great. But we can't stop there. We are always looking to improve to bring out the best show for the fans because they deserve that much.

Gripes? Suggestions? Criticisms? Compliments? Fan mail? Women that want to offer their services to Rey-Rey? Dog food? Cat food? Line 'em up all over here! =D

sincerely,
Ani-Magic Cosplay Under The Stars Co-MC,
Rey-Rey

Woof. >=D

Sagara-san
10-06-2003, 10:55 PM
I was the one that started the whole chanting thing. TEE HEE!

SAC-RI-FICE! SAC-RI-FICE!, SACRIFICE REY-REY! SACRIFICE REY-REY!, LET VASH STRIP! LET VASH STRIP!

Crazy Bunta
10-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Go Rey Rey!!! You all did incredible. I thought it was awesome that you included the Black Mages in the intermissions. Which reminds me, I never got my chips back. Actually, after having them down Black mage's pants you can keep them. LOL.

Most memorable moment was Jessie running out on stage after his skit and yelling, "I'm a man!!!!". Hahahaha

That and them allowing Krispy mike, nate, cosplay.mom and the others to do the Matrix skit as a special performance. That was just hilarious!

Tygo
10-06-2003, 11:07 PM
I'm not very versed in the ways of masquerades,but I had a BLAST competing in it. I'm just sad I missed this Matrix skit everyone was talking about. I guess I was so excited that I didn't pay attention.

Crazy Bunta
10-06-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm not very versed in the ways of masquerades,but I had a BLAST competing in it. I'm just sad I missed this Matrix skit everyone was talking about. I guess I was so excited that I didn't pay attention.

Don't worry, about 5 of us got it on video. I'll send out a link to the video as soon as I get it rendered, (I got 8 hours of footage to sirt through).

Lightning Count
10-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Rey-Rey! I was in the masquerade :wave: I was incredibly frustrated because I couldn't see ANYTHING from the line I was in. For some reason I don't know the masq started late and my legs got sore from all of the standing :blubber: ....... I was DYING to see the skits and stuff ;o(
I wonder if anything can be done next year about it...? :walkoff:

cactusmomma
10-06-2003, 11:49 PM
i was too short to see the matrix gig :x but singing the men in tights song with the guys in line was just as fun XD

Freya
10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
I say thoroughly check the sound long before time of masquerade. I felt really bad for the Sera Myu group who went up only to go back down, granted they did get to go at the end.

Claire
10-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Rey-Rey! I was in the masquerade :wave: I was incredibly frustrated because I couldn't see ANYTHING from the line I was in. For some reason I don't know the masq started late and my legs got sore from all of the standing :blubber: ....... I was DYING to see the skits and stuff ;o(
I wonder if anything can be done next year about it...? :walkoff:

It's common knowledge that if you are in the masquerade, you don't get to see the masquerade - unless someone tapes it for you! *lol* I think we actually lucked out this year, and had several people tape it. I'm not sure, but I think a video will be available right here on Cosplay.com! Anyway - I don't see how your legs got sore, that was a SHORT masquerade, and you only had to check in an hour early. O_O Most cons have you there almost all day. There's really nothing that can be done about that short of hauling chairs out for people to sit on, and that's just too much of a hassle for the staff and hotel.

I say thoroughly check the sound long before time of masquerade. I felt really bad for the Sera Myu group who went up only to go back down, granted they did get to go at the end.

The incident with the Sera Myu group was an error on both ends. Their group had two individual tracks of audio, and they only said "track one" on their application form. Because they do not pop in the CD and play it - they rip the track and put it in their computer and play it from that - there was literaly no second track to play for them during the masquerade. To their credit, the Sound Guys (yes, in caps, they rocked hardcore) got a bit frantic and dove for the CD stack when they realized there was a second track. Unfortunately, it would have taken several minutes to get that set up to play, and we just told them to take a bow and head offstage. So, that was their bad - but there was just no way for them to know that they needed to mention the second track. It was their first time in a masquerade, after all. That bit of info is something that will definatley make it on the sign up sheets for next year.

However, we DID go find them very shortly afterwords and arrange for them to go on again and finish. Tristen and all of us on her staff feel we have a responsibility to the cosplayers who participate, and to the audience, to Make Everyone Happy, and we tried our best. I don't know if they would have had a chance to go on again at another con.

Mandy Mitchell
10-07-2003, 01:02 AM
I know one thing. Rey-Rey is hot!

Lightning Count
10-07-2003, 01:16 AM
We got to have a seat in a room when we were in AX....and we had water too. We could watch the whole masq from that room.
I know, I know.......it's not fair to compare AX to AM, I'm just saying.........................

Claire
10-07-2003, 01:20 AM
We got to have a seat in a room when we were in AX....and we had water too. We could watch the whole masq from that room.
I know, I know.......it's not fair to compare AX to AM, I'm just saying.........................

You're right, it's not fair to compare AX to AM. But like I said, you were there for under two hours. If it's such a problem, bring a chair and a water bottle next year, and have a friend tape the show.

Sorry to be so defensive - I worked my ASS off at the con for the masquerade.

ai no hoshi
10-07-2003, 02:58 AM
the sound guys were so cool! they were the ones who remixed our sugar song so we could actually dance to it! (we were the first sugar group)

and i liked how everything prety much ran smoothly!

positivespace
10-07-2003, 03:03 AM
I thought the masquerade went really well and I loved the Black Mages that were running around on stage. The only downside I had was the young girl running around screaming for all of us to get in line... I seriously felt like grabbing both of her shoulders to let her know not to stress out so much and that at the rate she was going she was going to have gray hairs at 19. ;D

She ended up being more amusing after a while... but maybe next time someone can let her know in advance not to freak out so much? Too much stress is bad for you. ;D

But, besides that (and that was a VERY VERY small matter)... you guys did a great job!!

Usagi Mylene
10-07-2003, 03:20 AM
The only downside I had was the young girl running around screaming for all of us to get in line... I seriously felt like grabbing both of her shoulders to let her know not to stress out so much and that at the rate she was going she was going to have gray hairs at 19. ;D

!

Oh my god!! Thank god my group wasn't the only one that thought she was a little too crazy!!

but yeah, that little girl needed to calm down. Can someone please tell her stress is not good!!

Otherwise, it was pretty good. I enjoyed myself and had lots of fun. It was my first masquerade. =) And the hosts were great!!

Crazy Bunta
10-07-2003, 03:29 AM
OK Finally found and rendered the Matrix special presentation. As Jarod will tell you, this is not a masquerade skit, it was a special show before the masquerade. I believe Jim put together the sccript and everyone came up with the actual presentation and dance fights.

Anyhow, on with the show...

http://www.cosplaymedia.com/matrix/

K_Valentine
10-07-2003, 03:47 AM
Bloody cool, you have it. Though I usually am too embarrassed to watch myself on movies *^^*

I think the rents will flip about this so I might as well enjoy this.

Kira_Yamato
10-07-2003, 04:48 AM
The only downside I had was the young girl running around screaming for all of us to get in line... I seriously felt like grabbing both of her shoulders to let her know not to stress out so much and that at the rate she was going she was going to have gray hairs at 19. ;D

OMG! YES! She was driving us crazy! It was like she had gone mad with the tiny amount of power she had.

Taisou
10-07-2003, 05:08 AM
OK Finally found and rendered the Matrix special presentation. As Jarod will tell you, this is not a masquerade skit, it was a special show before the masquerade. I believe Jim put together the sccript and everyone came up with the actual presentation and dance fights.

Anyhow, on with the show...

http://www.cosplaymedia.com/matrix/

geez thank you.
Finally i get to see how whacky we were

Crazy Bunta
10-07-2003, 05:23 AM
geez thank you.
Finally i get to see how whacky we were

N/P, That's what I was there for, just to catch all the wackiness on film. LOL

More vids will come as I get them rendered.

JadePrince
10-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I had a blast in the masquerade (was Naruto from the huge Naruto dance/walk-on thingie). It's only the second time I've participated in a Masquerade and it was far less nerve-wracking than Fanime's Masquerade was. Felt a bit more casual and friendly.

My only complaint is the same complaint I seem to have with every masquerade I've been to. While our group got up there for fun, with little preparation, and even less talent, not expecting a prize for it, it is still a little frustrating to watch numerous groups recieve multiple prizes. It might be nice to spread the winning out a little, so more participants get recognized for their efforts. The Sera Myu group did great, but giving them either the best newbie award or the best up and coming group award -one or the other- would have quite adequately acknowledged their efforts without giving both.

Also, I've heard a lot of people were dissappointed with the awards you gave out that singled out particular members of a group, considering the amount of effort the groups as a whole put into their skits.

Just a few things to consider, but all in all a fun event. Thanks for the hard work!

Usagi Mylene
10-07-2003, 12:47 PM
I heard that there was a "nice rack" award.

Is that true?

I was behind the "stage" the whole time so I couldn't hear some of the awards.

The Sera Myu group was good. i enjoyed their little numbers. I got to met them afterwards and they are so sweet.

Claire
10-07-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm just going to continue to feild these masquerade questions/gripes because the two coordinators don't have time to bounce around on the board and see all of them.

...is still a little frustrating to watch numerous groups recieve multiple prizes. It might be nice to spread the winning out a little, so more participants get recognized for their efforts. The Sera Myu group did great, but giving them either the best newbie award or the best up and coming group award -one or the other- would have quite adequately acknowledged their efforts without giving both.

The Sera Myu group won Best Up and Coming Craftsmanship, and also Best in Show. Only a handfull of the entrants showed up at craftsmanship judging, so choices were limited. I'm pretty sure they were already chosen to win this award as soon as craftsmanship judging was over earlier in the day. After seeing their preformance, the judges apparently thought that they were the best choice to win Best in Show. Ani-magic is a small con, and so doesn't have as many awards as bigger cons like AX that you might be used to - I think they have two Best in Shows - one for craftsmanship and one in general. AM does not - the masquerades just aren't big enough to warrant that.

Just a helpfull hint: Judges, even when given general awards not related to craftsmanship, see the people who show up for craftsmanship judging as the more dedicated cosplayers, and therefore tend to take them more seriously. This is not a rule, and it's definately not true in all cases, but it's something I've noticed at the cons I've been to over the years.

Also, I've heard a lot of people were dissappointed with the awards you gave out that singled out particular members of a group, considering the amount of effort the groups as a whole put into their skits.

Yeah, and that was expressed rather loudly to us directly after the masquerade ended. It's not the masquerade staff's fault who the judges give their awards to - the funniest award (or whatever) can be debatable at it's fairness, but the individual judges awards can not. Because they are personal judges' awards, they can go to anyone and anything the judge deems worthy, wether that's one person, a whole group, or no one at all. *shrugs*

Claire
10-07-2003, 01:09 PM
I heard that there was a "nice rack" award.

Is that true?

I was behind the "stage" the whole time so I couldn't hear some of the awards.

Yep! Prairie's judge award was the Awsome Rack Award. ^^; It went to the (male) Rinoa from the FF8 skit.

Just because the Rinoa was presented individually with an award does not, in any way, mean that the skit as a whole wasn't good, or that no one else deserved an award. I think the skit ROCKED, and I know the rest of the audidence did, too. EVERYONE this year was just awsome, and it was no wonder the judges took quite a while picking the winners.

It's sad that not everyone can get an award - but if they did, it wouldn't be a competition. You just gotta go, have fun, and not be sad if you don't win! It's just a CON, after all. ^_^;;

And you know, if competition isn't your thing - there's always the Revue Show. ^____^

Usagi Mylene
10-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Yep! Prairie's judge award was the Awsome Rack Award. ^^; It went to the (male) Rinoa from the FF8 skit.

It's sad that not everyone can get an award - but if they did, it wouldn't be a competition. You just gotta go, have fun, and not be sad if you don't win! It's just a CON, after all. ^_^;;

And you know, if competition isn't your thing - there's always the Revue Show. ^____^

I'm not saying anything wrong. Please don't take it like that. I just couldn't hear some of the awards. I couldn't hear some of the judges. I just wanted to know.

I'm happy with my little ribbion. BUT I didn't do the Masquerade to win a award or anything. I did it to help out a friend. Also, AM was my first con so I thought it would be cool to be in it. ^.^

If I really wanted to win a award and be in a competition, It wouldn't be for a con masquerade. I love being in my first one and I'm hoping to be in more and do it all for the heck of it. ^.^

UsakoMinako
10-07-2003, 05:29 PM
The Sera Myu group did great, but giving them either the best newbie award or the best up and coming group award -one or the other- would have quite adequately acknowledged their efforts without giving both.

I do not agree with multiple awards most of the time
The first ribbon was best up and coming- for sewing the costumes-which was a seperate judging for craftmanship at 5pm in another room and the other award was from the masq

TristenCitrine
10-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Thank you for fielding some of the questions, Claire. It's much appreciated.

The staff member in question- it was her first time at a con, let alone helping to run a masquerade. Helping to keep the line in check is quite a big job, indeed! She worked very hard, and yes she seemed a little stressed. I did not know she was unkindly to anyone, so I will address that with her personally. She is human and has to grow like everyone else :).

As for not getting to watch the masquerade while lining up for the masquerade- I can't offer a lot of help here. Ani-Magic does not have the equipment for a green room, and everyone was welcome to hang out and watch after they went up on stage. Unfortunately, most often you must make the decision to either be in the show or watch the show. There was a green room in 2002 (the Vision room) during the masquerade where everyone could sit and get water. However, the cosplayers at the feedback session overwhelmingly wanted to mill about the backstage area instead, so it (the green room) did not return this year. I'm hoping a compromise can be reached for 2004.

I leave the award giving up to the judges, because they are there in the front and see it all. From what I heard during the judging, they did go through each and every skit and debated things. They were away for quite a while, yes, and a lot of that was because it was hard deciding. I did not want to put a lot of conditions on the judges (as in if multiple awards were allowed), as they knew what they were doing.

Sometimes there are multiple awards, sometimes there are not. Again, this is up to the judges. The Seramyu group won an award for craftsmanship because the judges were impressed. Same for performance.

The Final Fantasy Gals won two as well, one of which was Keith's judges award. The Sephy in dreds also got a judges award from Sue Ulu and a performance one. Again, its all up to the judges and what impresses them.

Yes, a couple groups got multiple awards, but no one group or individual won everything.

For Ani-Magic's size and the masquerade having a total of 28 (29 originally, one dropping out) entrants, there were a total of 15 awards given. This means there were enough prizes for more than half of the groups to walk away a winner. Accounting for the three double prizes I recall, that makes it only just less than half of the total entries getting an award of some sort.

I'm sorry if anyone finds issue with multiple awards, but I saw no fault in the judging and found it to be quite fair.

Everyone who was in the masquerade should feel proud of the job they did and I hope to see you all back next year!

Tris-chan
10-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Well, heh, this is one of the leaders of the Myu group (hi y'all!) and I wanted to say tons and tons of thanks to both the sound guys and the masq coordinators for helping us out in our jam. It was partially my fault as the two-track thing was EXTREMELY last minute (we literally finished the CD at 1:50 and ran downstairs) and I was amazed at how accomodating you were. You guys rule, we love you, and thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
As for the multiple awards thing...we honestly weren't expecting even ONE, let alone two (let alone best in show!) I guess they judges just liked us...I personally think that multiple awards are okay, so long as there isn't one sweeping winner that gets, like, five. ^_^ But sometimes people are equally good at doing two different things, and if they're the best, they should get rewarded for it *shrugs*
And thank you to the person who called us sweet *^_^* For our first time, we were totally overwhelmed by everything, and all the support that those of you in line gave us was indespensible. Hugs and cookies to all of you!

Kira_Yamato
10-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm just glad to have been in the Masquerade. I also got a huge amount of positive feedback on our skit from the fans, although we didn't win anything. But the lack of a win only serves to make me want to improve, and work on doing a better routine, and better costumes, for next time!

Kinovas
10-07-2003, 11:53 PM
It was fun. I got to help out in the filler period when we were
waiting for the judges to get back. That was a blast.

Taisou
10-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I had just as much fun watching the Masquerade as I did participating in it.
Personally I think things went well for the conditions they were in. I am extremely thankful for AM allowing Jim and I to be the special presentation in the Masquerade. Though I was rather shocked because I didn't know we were going to be a part of it till 10 mins before it started. But all in all, everyone did a great job, and I hope to see such excitement with the next con I go to.

Shannako
10-08-2003, 02:57 AM
Hiya! This is the Selphie from the AM skit with the Man-Rinoa.
I was personally kinda bummed that J was singled out for a award out of our group but then he declared it was a group win and gave it to our Irvine, the man who wrote the skit and mixed it. It was supriseing, but it also generated warm fuzzies.

It's my suggestion that the future judges of any AM skit would not single out a person from a group. It's a kinda downer for everybody else who put in the practice time and sewing their costumes.

XD In case anybody was wondering, Rinoa is a size 34b.

Claire
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
It's my suggestion that the future judges of any AM skit would not single out a person from a group. It's a kinda downer for everybody else who put in the practice time and sewing their costumes.

As has been said REPEATEDLY: The award Jesse won was a JUDGES AWARD, meaning it was picked based on NO criteria other than something the individual judge thought was deserving of their particular award. Prairie, before the masquerade even began (I know because I was there and she told us all), decided that her judges award title would be the Awsome Rack award, and mentioned she really hoped she'd be able to give it to a guy. Lo and behold, here comes a MALE RINOA. I doubt there was any question who was getting her judge award. It's NOT a big deal, judges awards are usually small, silly things - we've answered this question probably ten times by now, and you guys are still angsting about it. I mean, what can we do? Call Prairie up and yell at her for giving her award out? No. As a judge she reserved the right to give that to whoever she wanted. If she wanted to scream "SCREW YOU ALL, MY AWARD IS TOO PERFECT FOR ANY OF YOU!" and rip it up and throw it in the pool, she could have. Should we give you guys a full award? No! You guys were awsome, and we all loved your skit, but changing the judging results because you're sore losers is totally unfair. You probably DESERVED a big award, but there were SO many good entrees this year it was apparently REALLY hard to choose winners - about HALF the entrees got an award, and it's just MIND BOGGLING to see people from a group who won something complaining. I'd think there'd be more people whining about NOT winning anything. Yeah, Jesse was singled out, but you guys should take that as a compliment that something from your skit stood out enough to be noticed like that, not be bitter that ALL of you didn't win. I mean, it's just one little ribbon, so maybe the judges felt like it would be kinda lame to give that to a group of people.

Okay, I am so DONE with this topic. ~_~ I've tried to be all nice and professional but you all just don't seem to want to get over it.

Ginny
10-08-2003, 12:40 PM
I didn't hear anyone complaining about Aimee's judges award and she only gave hers to 2 people out of a GIANT skit. If I wanted, I could have given my award to, like, my own ass if I wanted.

You guys from that FF skit are just making yourselves look bad to everyone by complaining that someone in your group got a judges award and you didn't. Be happy for him, not sorry for yourself. People are just going to remember you as "the ff skit that whined like girls with skinned knees cause they didn't win a big award in a cosplay"

Hello, it's a cosplay, this is a hobby. If you're going to complain about not winning, then DON'T COMPETE!

Also, I noted "and sewing their costumes". If you wanted to be judged on your costumes, you should have come to craftsmanship judging. There were a lot of entrants with nice costumes that we never got to judge because they didn't come to the craftsmanship judging.

I think I speak for all the people at AM when I tell you that you're all getting really annoying to all of us and if you could, please act more adult about this.

Jubei-chan
10-08-2003, 12:40 PM
::Basking in glory of my "Participant" Ribbon:: At least my mom won't get mad at me for coming back form the masquerade empty handed! Oh you glorious Ribbon of orange shiney-ness and golden letters! May you be my only friend in life! And that’s all I need. … and this remote control, and these batteries … and that’s all I need!

So here is to all those Participants out there! Hold those Ribbons high! Do not hang your heads, but lift those Mighty Orange Ribbons to the sky and embrace your Participation. For if we did not participate then the masquerade would have been shorter, and the partying would have started sooner … @_@ … partying starting sooner??? Forget This!!! Why do the Masquerade when I can just PARTY!!!???!!! ::Does a Little Party Jig::

Ok, I'm done now!

But in all seriousness, I had a great time! Everyone was spectacular! So much congrats to all!

P.S. Meow!!! The Cats Rule!!!

Lilli
10-08-2003, 01:01 PM
XD <- at the thought of an award to G-chan's rear end, and also Claire's and G-chan's comments for people to grow up and get over it.

Heheheee :3

Rey-Rey
10-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Damn it! Where's my BEST OF SHOW award? >= (

Woof. >=D Kitty Litter. >=D

Usagi Mylene
10-08-2003, 01:44 PM
::Basking in glory of my "Participant" Ribbon:: At least my mom won't get mad at me for coming back form the masquerade empty handed! Oh you glorious Ribbon of orange shiney-ness and golden letters! May you be my only friend in life! And thatís all I need. Ö and this remote control, and these batteries Ö and thatís all I need!

P.S. Meow!!! The Cats Rule!!!

*Raises her "Participant" Ribbon*

Time to party!!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee........ They may of handed out a nice rack award and uhh..... some other award but I got me a nice orange and gold "Participant" Ribbon. Wu-hoo!!! I feel so loved. I mean getting this is just soooo cool. I did it all for fun not wanting to get anything out of it but some good laughs and hanging out.

*hugs her ribbon*

Do other cons even give you a ribbon just for being in it?!

I think everyone did a great job. *Meow*

And yes the Cats rule!! *Meow* I got no love for the dogs. ;) *Woof*

Rey-Rey
10-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I got my award. "Most Handsome MC". >=D

FlameSniperRei
10-08-2003, 02:36 PM
I got my award. "Most Handsome MC". >=D

*hands Rey-Rey the MOST BAKA AWARD* :bigtu:
ther ye go. ^o^

Claire
10-08-2003, 06:08 PM
G-chan's ass definately deserves an award. Mau mau mau.

And everyone with an ORANGE participant ribbon rocks, because I was giving the orang ones out. ^_____^ Yay!

Rey-Rey is such a HOT MC!

Rey-Rey
10-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I think my @$$ should win an award. >=D

FlameSniperRei
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
*hands Rey Rey the ASS award* XD roflol j/p dude

positivespace
10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Rey-Rey, you're more than welcome to share my girls' and mine Budonkadonk Judge's Award. LOL

Rey-Rey
10-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi! I have a big butt! From now on, I will not be known as Rey-Rey! I will be known as SweetCheeks!

TristenCitrine
10-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Speaking of the participation ribbons-
I'm so happy everyone liked them! They came in a variety of autumn colors like orange, gold, red, etc. I was tempted to make them ALL orange, but you know :)

I still have a few ribbons left which means not everyone picked theirs up. If you participated in the masquerade and did not win one of the awards and would like one, please let me know so I can send you one.

Also, anyone on a group who won who did not get a prize (because you can't exactly split a trophy), please make sure you get your ribbon as well. These are like the participation ribbons only they denote "winner" as well. Again, I wound up with more than a few extra, so that leads me to believe not everyone who needed one got theirs.

I know things got hectic there at the end, so I have no problems mailing them out! Just let me know and I will get them your way!

Since the feedback has been great, I will definitely push for the ribbons and trophies again, minna!

Usagi Mylene
10-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Yes, ribbons are fun. Thanks for the ribbon!!

Can they be a different color next year? How about having a theme going?

^.^

TristenCitrine
10-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Yes, ribbons are fun. Thanks for the ribbon!!

Can they be a different color next year? How about having a theme going?

^.^

We could go with a set color, however, the ribbons this year were in several colors of the autumn season.

Jubei-chan
10-08-2003, 11:53 PM
We could go with a set color, however, the ribbons this year were in several colors of the autumn season.

I think Stripper Vash should get an honorary 'nude' colored ribbon. Hehehehe ^_^

Tetsugyu
10-09-2003, 02:10 AM
I must say it was a total treat to wip my Experts of Cosplay group buddies (The White Chris Tucker - Issei and Daisaku who are now The Ambigously Otaku Duo into action, grabing CrispyMike and Cosplay.mom along the way, and thrusting them back into being in the Masqurade!

Jim has been tinkering with that skit idea for so many years and being the Comedian you all know me to be, I could NOT let them get away with not doing it!

My favorite part was always...Give me the Pre-registration Codes to Otakon! *dies laughing*

I also have to thank CrispyMike and Cosplay.mom/AWESOME for being last minute add-ons.

I feel very proud to say that my two best friends in all the world (The Agent Smith & the Morpheus) had the best skit at Ani-Magic!

Michi
10-09-2003, 02:32 AM
I only saw most of the end of the masquerade and left before awards.. and I saw about just as much last year and the year before. I've always liked the way the Ani-Magic masquerade is run. It fits in with the friendly atmosphere of the con. ^_^ I also liked the fact that backstage wasn't blocked off (I could visit my friends after and before their skit) and there's no tickets or lineup and you just sorta.. show up. I hope the location will be just as nice next year. ;_; Good job everyone!

Usagi Mylene
10-09-2003, 02:33 AM

Really? All the ones I saw were orange. Or did it depend on the award you won?

But which either I like the idea and I'm hoping you guys will do it again next year.

Crazy Bunta
10-09-2003, 02:45 AM
I must say it was a total treat to wip my Experts of Cosplay group buddies (The White Chris Tucker - Issei and Daisaku who are now The Ambigously Otaku Duo into action, grabing CrispyMike and Cosplay.mom along the way, and thrusting them back into being in the Masqurade!

Jim has been tinkering with that skit idea for so many years and being the Comedian you all know me to be, I could NOT let them get away with not doing it!

My favorite part was always...Give me the Pre-registration Codes to Otakon! *dies laughing*

I also have to thank CrispyMike and Cosplay.mom/AWESOME for being last minute add-ons.

I feel very proud to say that my two best friends in all the world (The Agent Smith & the Morpheus) had the best skit at Ani-Magic!

It was pure cosplay goodness! I'm so glad that Jim, Nate, Mike, Tom and cosplay.mom were able to get up there and do that. It was such a nice thing that almost didn't happen and it got the crowd into a good hype! I think G-Chan had posted something about laughing so hard she almost had an asthma attack. LOL

I still have the video up for all those that missed it.

Ginny
10-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I think G-Chan had posted something about laughing so hard she almost had an asthma attack. LOL

Not almost, I did! ^____^

Rey-Rey
10-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, there really wasn't much feedback on to how to improve the show... but we really do appreciate all the comments and compliments! Yes, we are coming back again next year to do it (unless something disastrous really happens) and we can't wait to host it for a third year in a row. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for everything you've said. But, of course, we couldn't have done it all without...

*Tristen Citrine
*HoneyChan
*Nessa
*Claire
*The Judges (G-Chan, Aimee, etc.)
*Rob Miles, Revell Walker
*The Sound Guys
*Jean
*The Neko Twins
*The Black Mages
*Adella, Alaria, and Lord Masamune
*Others who helped out... I forget at the moment
*The Masquerade Participants
*All the other cosplayers
*All the fans

But thank you, thank you, thank you so much for all your support. ^__^ v

darrylhw
10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Just dropping in and saying some big thank yous. I only come to Ani-Magic for the cosplayers and this is so my stress-free con. My only plan was to relax at this con. Mission accomplished. I spent the entire day poolside, lounging in my Hibiki from Vandread costume. Life is good.

Tristen: Thanks for allowing me to enter the Masquerade so late. I wasn't planning on it, but I found an uber-cute Paiway cosplayer and I had to do a skit...cosplay skits is an uncurable psychological disease for me. :)

Rey-Rey: I love you man. I normally don't say that to guys, but I love you. I still won't forgive you for making me sing, but I love you. Nice dive into the pool by the way. Question, ever wonder what would happen if Neko got "sacrificed"? *Laughs manically!* I wonder if anybody got a picture of me looking all sad while holding up the Rey-Rey is HOT sign.

Jean: Thanks for saving my butt on stage when I realized that "Hey, I can't pronounce Japanese names, what chance do I have singing Japanese songs?" I love talking to a girl who has so many anime character voices stuck in her body.

Judges: Thank you for the awarding me and my cosplay partner for the day the best couple award. I WON A BEST COUPLE award...with a girl...anybody check the FAA to see if pigs were reported flying? I had such a great time this con that the award was icing on the cake.

Wayne (Tsunku) & USA Musume: Girls, I love you all. Thanks for taking all the pictures with me. Wayne, sometimes I wonder...How do I kill you and get away with it, but any man who can associate himself with 8 or more beautiful cosplay girls at every con...well...you just have to respect that. I'm still going to pay you back for that "nisu bodee bodee" dance you made me do...and lets not forget the Yugi furry starfish you made me wear at AX

Neko Twins: Don't kill me. I swear it was Rey-Rey's idea to throw Kie out as swag for the audience... I keep saying...let's throw both of you girls to the throngs of fanboys. Don't kill me. Great seeing you both. Got to convince you girls to date me...or do a skit with me next year...whichever seems more appealing to you. :) Don't kill me.

My Paiway: To the lovely lady that was kind enough to share her stage time with me, thank you for allowing me to join your skit. I hope you can live down the fact that you have an best couple award which features me as your significant other. I have already framed the pictures and am in the course of convincing my friends that we were married in a secret cosplay ceremony in Lancaster and that you haven't moved in because you are going to school somewhere far far away. Just kidding.

To all the people I met and hung out with, YOU MY PEEPS! I hope to see you all soon. I'll see about organizing a trip to Little Tokyo some weekend and introduce you to Curry House if you don't know already. With that I go back into my lonely world of medical imaging research.

Darryl "I had six people recognize my Hibiki costume" Hwang

waynekaa
10-09-2003, 09:14 PM
I got more in store for you Darryl.
Heh. heh. heh.
YGOMG, Episode II.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Taisou
10-09-2003, 11:15 PM

When you told me that I freaked out!
I am so sorry that happened, but, I still hope you were
able to get some enjoyment out of it ^^;;

Tetsugyu
10-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey G-chan, is it safe to say that Nathan is the first Black man to have left you breathless?

Take that as you like, folks. ;)

Hey Darryl! It was good seeing you again amigo! Wholey sh*t! You remembered my name! That was way kool! And you even said you saw that pic on the EOC site of my Giant Robo Collection! YOU DESERVE MY FRIENDSHIP! And maybe a Neko-twin too...ya know to add a little somethin' somethin'

Peace out Boo. And you have yourself a- Happy Kwanza.

Maryssa
10-10-2003, 01:03 AM
i wub claire and char!

Ashe
10-10-2003, 01:37 AM
You're right, it's not fair to compare AX to AM. But like I said, you were there for under two hours. If it's such a problem, bring a chair and a water bottle next year, and have a friend tape the show.

Sorry to be so defensive - I worked my ASS off at the con for the masquerade.

This was also a thread for comments, gripes and suggestions on the Masq. With the change of venue next year it might be possible to make improvements in that area- which I assume is what the feedback forum is about.

Claire
10-10-2003, 01:50 AM
This was also a thread for comments, gripes and suggestions on the Masq. With the change of venue next year it might be possible to make improvements in that area- which I assume is what the feedback forum is about.

That particular issue - about not having chairs or being able to watch the masquerade - is just really annoying, because last year, everyone in the masq pitched a fit and demanded they be stationed behind the pool while waiting to preform, and not in a room. So we comply, and people still have complaints. Uhm, okay.

Ashe
10-10-2003, 01:52 AM
The only complaint I had with the Masq was that I couldn't understand a lot of what was said through the mikes. I don't know if thats the sort of thing that's even possible to fix given the outdoor setup, but a lot of the speakers were difficult to parse.
Other than that, I thought the time and flow of the Masq was great.

UmiGoddess
10-10-2003, 03:14 AM
As has been said REPEATEDLY: The award Jesse won was a JUDGES AWARD, meaning it was picked based on NO criteria other than something the individual judge thought was deserving of their particular award. Prairie, before the masquerade even began (I know because I was there and she told us all)
Okay, I am so DONE with this topic. ~_~ I've tried to be all nice and professional but you all just don't seem to want to get over it.

Hey Everybody!
Sorry to drag this back out again, since I know ppl were talking about this a *while* ago, but I never *ever* post due to super craptastically slooow internet connection and lack of time--but I was abusing the internet at work and saw the masq thread so wanted to post to say how much fun I had, etc! =D
But as I was reading through, I came across talk about the "whackest rack award" and so I just wanted to put in my 2 cents!

No offense at all or anything to Claire and G to what you both have replied to the group's Selphie on this matter. I respect you both undoubtedly! =) You make totally good points and I understand where you're coming from!

But I did want to put in a word in Selphie's defense. It is true that there is nothing that can be done about it now, so there is no use in bemoaning something that can't be changed-- but I didn't really get the impression that she was complaining or asking for more recognition. In fact, I commend her for bringing this up at the risk of *sounding* like all she cared about was winning! I don't get that impression from her by what she said at all. It probably would have been a lot easier to not say anything at the risk of being taken the wrong way, which I think that some people may have. This is why I wanted to say something, because even though I do not know this person, I feel that she's been misinterpreted and somewhat wrongly accused.

The reason why this thread struck me is because I myself noticed this situation during the masquerade and it was honestly one of the only things that I was unhappy with! (pretty amazing huh? goes to show how fun the masq was this year!)

I understand that it is up to the judges to give their awards to whoever they see fit, (e.g. G's butt..hee hee) So it is understandable that the Rinoa of the group could be singled out--but I think the reason why the rest of the group may have felt badly was not because of the fact that the award didn't include them all (although that is part of the reason, and a valid one at that), but in the way that it went down onstage.

I think part of this problem could be solved by better communication. The way I saw it go down was that the group was backstage where it is often hard to hear, when the award was announced. They heard their group Number and that they had won a judges' award! (yey exciting! right?) So they ran up onstage all of them very happy and excited..I could see this clearly from the audience. Obviously, they had not heard that the award was only going to one of their members...this was a communication problem that could be worth looking into so that this is less likely to happen at future masqs. So the *whole* group comes up onstage clearly happy to be recognized--but instead of the recognition they thought they were going to get they were treated fairly rudely by Prairie, who herself must have been wondering what they were all doing up there or something in order to have had the reaction to them that she did. No disrespect to Prairie either, as I enjoyed meeting her at the con, but she did come across rather brusque and abrupt to the "mistaken winners" and I could visibly see the confusion and disappointment on their faces. I felt really bad for them all while I was sitting watching this because it was clear to me the miscommunication that had happened, and I felt bad that these ppl had run up onstage with high hopes and been pretty much shot down in front of everyone. =( No one should have to go through that.

So Selphie, I'm glad you brought this up because it brings to mind a couple of things that are worthy of recognizing if improvements are to be made for the future! =D

One is that a middle man of some sort to help communicate between the stage and backstage would be really helpful to prevent miscommunications such as these in the future when it comes to results in judging. This sort of thing happens all the time..groups backstage usually can't hear very well and only get the message that their number was called, so they run up there having no idea what they've even won! (or who has won, in this case)

A second point to look at is, even though they are judges and can theoretically do whatever they want, it is probably a good idea to debrief them a bit. I have no idea if this was done this year or not, it very well could have been. And I realize in some cases it could be considered insulting or it could not even make a difference..but it still can't really hurt. A few helpful suggestions to the judges will most likely be welcome. Among these suggestions would be to take care in the manner in which judges treat and address the contestants, winners and non-winners alike.

The last point I'd like to mention is just that in general singling out one member of a group usually makes the rest of the group feel pretty bad...especially when it is for something that could have easily been a group effort! (funny plot idea, etc) When it's for crafstmanship that's more understandable because you can easily separate the members by the specific costumes each is wearing, but when it comes to skit stuff it's hard to tell who deserves credit. This is just my opinion that I felt I'd share. I don't think Selphie was trying to complain about not getting an award but only to share how it made her feel, in order to help better the masquerade experience for others in the future. She is proof that singling ppl out in that manner makes other members feel bad. I have found this to be so in many cases...so I think those are reasons enough to say that singling members out should be avoided. I know that every case is going to be different and it's not something you can easily put rules on but it's just something to keep in mind! A suggestion really.

Anyway, sorry this turned into a huge long monologue. =P But I just couldn't watch poor Selphie suffer *twice*, first at the masq judging and now again! lol They all seem like nice ppl to me!
The skit totally rocked by the way! =D

As did many ppl's! Great job everyone!

AM Chair
10-10-2003, 07:10 AM
As soon as things get all shiney and glittery, the politics comes out. Look, folks, Ani-Magic's masq is a FUN experience. We are NOT going to worry about who won what and how many times. But singling out people in a group is a new one on me. Should rethink that for next year. Everyone got something at this event, even if you participated. We are committed to the FUN of the Masq, not the awards, which I complement Tristen for being able to find at such a great price. The judges makes the decisions and that's the way it goes. Debriefing them makes little sense beacuse we'll have new ones' next year. Don't come here expecting Comic Con or World Con class judging. We came to relax and have fun, remember?

Tristen, Lisa, Claire and the others did a fine, nay excellent job with the masq this year, and it's a good bet they'll be back running it next year. And we have that young un on Valium now, so she'll be fine for next year's line control :)

As with any process there's aways room for improvement, just don't get carried by the awards process like you do at the other cons. You're not there for the trophies, you're there for each other. The shiney stuff is just a bonus. Umigodess's comments do have merit, and perhaps we should be a bit more mindful of presenting an individual award to person in a group. Makes the others jealous too probably. But I'm glad you all had a wonderful time, and thanks for the feedback, it's really always welcome.

TristenCitrine
10-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Yes, with the pool not being the main focus of the stage area next year a lot of problems, especially the chair ones, will be solved. From my understanding, we will still be outdoors, but we will have MUCH more space.

I expect any sound issues to be better at the new venue as well. Depending on where you were in relation to the speakers, I'm aware it could be hard to hear. The sound guys did an EXCELLENT job, however it is understandable the speakers were pointed to be best heard by the audience area. Add in a lot of other noise, and yes, I can understand if anything seemed garbled.

The judges were debriefed in which awards they had to give out and what was included in each award (save for the dealers' donations). I assure you they went through every single entry, talked about it and made their decisions then. Because they cared to go through every entry, it took them a while, resulting the rush after returning to stage.

Every judge got to present their own award because it was theirs and given for their own reasons. Judges awards are fun, just a little something extra for you guys and a chance for each judge to talk about what they personally really enjoyed in the Masquerade.

I appreciate the comments and feedback and, again, I will do my best to fix the issues from this year. At this point, we cannot do anything about the awards aside from mailing ribbons to anyone who did not get one after the show. I assure everyone, your Ani-Magic Masquerade staff will continue to work their hardest to bring you a better show each and every year!

Ginny
10-10-2003, 11:56 AM
But I just couldn't watch poor Selphie suffer *twice*, first at the masq judging and now again!

Yes, there is so much suffering due to a judges cosplay award. O____o

It wasn't even my award, and it's just getting me very peeved that people can't act like adults about this.

I had such a wonderful time at the con, and to think people are upset over a shiney ribbon just spoils the whole thing. I went home saying nothing but nice things about the con and it's attendees. It makes me feel horrible that there are people out there upset over this.

I've been going to cons over here on the east coast since '98, and there have always been judges awards like that. They're given to idividuals more often than groups. I've been the recipiant of a few. And no one in my group at the time was upset about it. It's simply baffeling to me that this is an issue.

I think that the Masq and the con were run wonderfully and I hope I can return next year.

PawTeeGal
10-10-2003, 12:05 PM
i guess for me would just be few days.
Line up sheet a head of time, along with some description of what is being setup. so both contestants and crew would be able to to varify and fix anything that might have been miscommunicated.
a line would look something like this:
#23 Joe Blow's Group, Duration : 2.3sec, skitname, track(s), special requirements(pauses, lights, what nots), etc etc
#24 blah blah

Psudo green room/area(?) .
side monitor, chairs. even just one big tarp on the floor. 4" heels gets owie after a while.

Since people do wonder about in the back, maybe a "now serving" LED number sign?

PawTee

TristenCitrine
10-10-2003, 01:27 PM
i guess for me would just be few days.
Line up sheet a head of time, along with some description of what is being setup. so both contestants and crew would be able to to varify and fix anything that might have been miscommunicated.
a line would look something like this:
#23 Joe Blow's Group, Duration : 2.3sec, skitname, track(s), special requirements(pauses, lights, what nots), etc etc
#24 blah blah "
PawTee

we did use line up sheets somewhat like this for the sound guys. (they had spots for CD track info, special needs, etc) Because of the nature of the AM masquerade and our desire to keep it on the casual side, lining things up more than the day before would mean making pre-registration a requirement. I like the idea of being able to sign up for the masquerade at the con itself. I realize some bigger cons like to do pre-reg and some pre-reg only, but personally, I don't think it suits the style of the AM masquerade.

Remember, not everyone in cosplay or who attends the con comes to cosplay.com or any other message boards. If some fans show up at the con in their costumes and thing, "hey, I wanna be in the show!", having sign up at the con make that possible for them and that's a good thing.

The sound guys are human and yes, sometimes things do not go off perfectly. With the Seramyu group who unfortunately had a snafu, we did our best to fix the problem in the most effective manner and I think there was a happy ending where that was concerned :)

"Psudo green room/area(?) .
side monitor, chairs. even just one big tarp on the floor. 4" heels gets owie after a while. "

PawTee

The tarp is a good idea, definitely. I will also push for a green room next year since people want it. I will state, though, you cannot have a green room AND be able to hang out backstage. Its not possible with it being an outside venue. When I have a chance to go see the new facilities, maybe a compromise can be worked out.

"Since people do wonder about in the back, maybe a "now serving" LED number sign?"

PawTee

That's a good idea, yes. However, with there being less than 30 groups, that may be looked upon as an unneeded expense. Same thing for having a monitor in the green room. I'd love to do these things, but Ani-Magic is still growing, remember :)

Claire
10-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Yes, there is so much suffering due to a judges cosplay award. O____o

It wasn't even my award, and it's just getting me very peeved that people can't act like adults about this.

I had such a wonderful time at the con, and to think people are upset over a shiney ribbon just spoils the whole thing. I went home saying nothing but nice things about the con and it's attendees. It makes me feel horrible that there are people out there upset over this.

I've been going to cons over here on the east coast since '98, and there have always been judges awards like that. They're given to idividuals more often than groups. I've been the recipiant of a few. And no one in my group at the time was upset about it. It's simply baffeling to me that this is an issue.

I think that the Masq and the con were run wonderfully and I hope I can return next year.

Word.

Seriously, no one is suffering over a freaking judges awards. You did not suffer. You ran up on stage, were told you were not Rinoa, and then watched Rinoa get a fruity dog show ribbon. Big. Freaking. Deal. Be happy your skit was funny. Smile. It's COSPLAY, for heaven's sake. It's noooooooot that big of a deal. Judges are not going to stop giving their judges awards to whoever they want just because of one skit whining over not getting a bigger award.

UmiGoddess
10-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Word.

Seriously, no one is suffering over a freaking judges awards. You did not suffer. You ran up on stage, were told you were not Rinoa, and then watched Rinoa get a fruity dog show ribbon. Big. Freaking. Deal. Be happy your skit was funny. Smile. It's COSPLAY, for heaven's sake. It's noooooooot that big of a deal. Judges are not going to stop giving their judges awards to whoever they want just because of one skit whining over not getting a bigger award.

Sorry, *suffer* probably wasn't the best word choice. =P I have a tendency to overexaggerate my words...But anyway, the only reason why I brought this up is because I don't think that this girl's imput should be dismissed and regarded as simply another whining cosplayer who didn't win something.
I didn't think she was complaining or whining about it at all in her post, but bringing up her only gripe with the masq. But she got responses that talked about being immature and told he to "get over it". Which I think is unfair...so i just waned to try to shed some light on the situation, so that ppl might be able to understand better where she's I thought she was comin' from.
The whole awards thing really *isn't* a big deal--it is for fun and that's what's important. I'll be one of the first to always argue that point. It seems to always really irritate ppl, when someone does have a complaint like "I didn't win waaa waa" I know it bugs me. So that's really why I wanted to say something on this girl's behalf because she was getting accused of such and I don't think she deserves it.
**Tiffany

Claire
10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
We understand what she's saying, trust me on that one. However, because we've explained the situation, repeatedly, in great detail, and they're still not happy, and still stressing the "It's not fair!" issue, the way it comes off to us on staff and a whoooooole lot of onlookers is that you guys are whining over not getting an award.

We've apologized, and we've explained, and we've said we'll adress the issue for next year. What else do you want us to do? Honestly, TELL US, because we can't figure out what will make you happy.

BlueJeans07
10-10-2003, 06:53 PM
All this aside, what did you think about the MCing? Was it too slow, too fast, too weird, etc etc etc? Or would you like to see more shows done this way? =D

The MCs wanna wanna know so we can make the show better fer YOU! =D

Daitenshi
10-10-2003, 07:45 PM
The Matrix skit should have won Best of Show. Screw the non-competition thing >=D Mwa!

Seriously though, the masquerade was fun and thankfully short. Only 28 entries.... *fans self*. The MCs did a great job, and I loved the little bits between skits. It's refreshing to see people continue to have fun on-stage... rather than sit through the MC bashing whoever just went ^^; Not enough people are funny enough to pull that off.

FlameSniperRei
10-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Tiffy is my heroine. :)

Anyway, do ya'll need help next year for the masq? If I have time and am not that busy I may be able to assist.

A J
10-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I loved the little intermission clips. The black mages cracked me up. And it was some of the best emceeing (and this includes the kitty girls) that I've seen to date. Great job!

And the masq ran very very smoothly. I was very impressed so congrats to everyone who made it possible!

I think I should point out that at most cons, you give up your entire saturday to the masquerade and you're usually very lucky if you get to see it at all. I've heard in previous years at AX and Fanime that you were just put in a backroom and couldn't see or hear anything, so this is much much better than that.

-AJ

Raya
10-10-2003, 09:16 PM
DOOOOOOODDDD

Chill out G and Claire... no one is complaining. People are simply stating their opinions. This is a DISCUSSION AND SUGGESTION thread after all. Just take a breath and let them talk- no one is attacking you. You all did a good job with your explanations and awards and the points have all been made abundantly clear.

TristenCitrine
10-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Tiffy is my heroine. :)

Anyway, do ya'll need help next year for the masq? If I have time and am not that busy I may be able to assist.

If you'd like to help us out and be a a part of the masquerade team, please just send me an email and we'll talk about it. :)

Yes, lets try to stay calm here, as Raya reminded us, this is a feedback forum. While everyone, G and Claire included, have good, valid points, we cannot change the results of this show, only learn from them. I very much like the constructive feedback because it helps Ani-Magic grow and become better.

and we all want it to become better, right?

Rey-Rey
10-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I like steak. It's good with soy sauce. =D

Ginny
10-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Did you know telling people who are already calm to stay calm makes them not calm? :P

I think I'm just very confused with what's so wrong. I am but a lowly east coaster, I know not what is wrong! *cries a river*

*bites Rey-Rey*

aimee
10-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Taisou, you were SO FUNNY!! Those eye rolls! ^_^

Kira_Yamato, just because you didnt win something doesnt mean you guys didn't do a great job! ^_^

as to the "nice rack" award, I think this has been dealt with ad nauseum, seriously. However, one more point. Let's think here. Did the WHOLE group have a nice rack? Was the joke that the whole group had a nice rack? No, a big joke of your skit was that RINOA was a man, and thus, no boobs, and thus the funny-ness of the "nice rack" award given to him.
That being said, from where I was (onstage) I couldn't see the whole skit group coming on stage, I'm sorry if they were dissappointed, if that's how it went down, I see how that could be embarrassing and dissappointing, especially if you can't even hear the award you won.

In another thread, I already appologized to this group. As our intent, was never to hurt anyone's feelings or to offend anyone.
That being said, I still don't see anything wrong to giving a funny award for someone with "the best rack" to the one who did have the best rack.
if in the future though, I ever judge again, and and those in charge would prefer awards to go to whole groups only, I have no problem with that.

PRAISES:
as to the Myu group, as one of the judges, we were impressed that two girls constructed ALL the costumes, it was their first masq, their creative finding of things for the gems on some of the costumes, their thoughtful choice of color, the overall great craftsmanship (lovely seams, nice fit, etc.)
But really so many of the groups who did or DIDNT do craftsmanship judging were really excellent. Both of the Sugar groups were lovely and well made, the Dynasty Warriors obviously were lovely (they had snaps fitting things so that their costumes had perfect fit and sillouette! And this was their first masq too!) and also, I mean, the awesome costumes of the FFX2 girls didnt come to craftsmanship judging nor did the beautiful gothic wedding group, and their costumes were absolutely gorgeous!
I don't understand that at all. Some people were obviously sortof "walkons" where the costumes mattered most, but they didn't come to craftsmanship. moo! I would have liked to see more craftsmanship people judged! so many good people!

The megaman group was totally awesome... (and totally adorable... ) I was so so so impressed by them. All the fabric stretching and the great sillouettes they had (which I always prefer in Mecha or Robot costumes.. to have good proportions, etc, comparable to the character, and the Megaman group really had that. )

I'm sure there were lots of others too. We had a really hard time giving out awards actually, we were "torn" about quite a few awards to the point where we were still debating them after leaving, there were enough "close calls" to each other if that makes since... so really there was no way we could have chosen the "absolute" winner. I for one had a horrible time casting my vote for best in show, since there were so many good groups. I honestly wasn't sure about a lot of awards.

This masq is supposed to be fun, and people are getting bent out of shape about funny awards. I mean many of the "double" winners won some of the judges awards (which most of us chose as humourous awards like "nice rack" or the "badonkadonk award", etc.) I don't see how someone could be offended by someone winning a judges award like that and then additionally winning something serious.

We weren't told that winning one award disqualified someone from winning and additional award, so we ATTEMPTED to be as fair as possible and choose, well who we thought was best, or at least ONE of the best choices. Often times we had like 2 or 3 people who we debated about strongly for certain awards, and any one of those 3 would, in my mind, have been a great choice. So I kinda feel bad that we only had to choose one for some of them.

other than the flack for judging, I had a fabulous time at Ani-Magic, everyone was so friendly and cool! I'll definitely be back next year.

I hope that people can get through this and remember all the fun time the con was! I was so impressed by the fun laid back atmosphere of this con! I really really enjoyed it.

Usagi Mylene
10-10-2003, 11:17 PM
I would love it if the Black Mages will come back next year. I love them!!

Maybe the MC can come up with something in advance while the judges are off deabting. I know for awhile you guys looked like you were having a hard time figuring out what to do next. but please no more strippers.

And I love the intermissions. Even thought I spent most of the time back stages, from what I was able to catch, it was funny. I think you guys should keep those in mind.

Maybe it was just me, but can we work on the sound? I couldn't hear some of the awards and if they were for the craftmanship or for the skits.

I would say more but since AM is moving to a new location, I don't know how or where the masquerade set up will be so I can't offer more ideas.

but can we please lay off the single award. Everyone has made their point. Can we move on and give other thoughts and ideas for next year. 2003 is over. Time to think for 2004. Besides, I think Rinoa should of gotten the nice rack award!! ;)

I must say, The Sera Myu grop kick butt!! And those oh so shiny costumes. ^.^ I want a costume like that!! They deserve the awards they got.

And random of topic: G-Chan, you icon rocks!! All that green-ness ^.^

aimee
10-11-2003, 12:16 AM
the funny thing is, most of us craftsmanship judges werent very familiar with Myu at all, actually! Char had a panel the next day, and we go to see videos of the Sera Myu groups (and other similar ones) which made the group from the night before all the more cool! :)

positivespace
10-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Aimee... we (the FFX-2 girls) didn't go to craftsmanship judging 'cause if any of you had tried to check out my costume (Paine) up close... I probably would've fell apart (literally). ;D

The Myu group... 2 girls did all that?! WOOOOWWW...super saucy props to them!

aimee
10-11-2003, 12:47 AM
positivespace- well it looked badass on stage! (and I wasn't that far away!) ^_^ heeee! oh well!

Tris-chan
10-11-2003, 01:10 AM
*Inserts a "You like us! You really like us!" speech here*
^_^

~Tris-chan
Co-leader of Goddess Academy Cosplay

PS- G-chan, Spike kicks butt. It's completely awesome that you have a line from the musical episode, and for that reason, I love you ^_^

Claire
10-11-2003, 02:17 AM
DOOOOOOODDDD

Chill out G and Claire... no one is complaining. People are simply stating their opinions. This is a DISCUSSION AND SUGGESTION thread after all. Just take a breath and let them talk- no one is attacking you. You all did a good job with your explanations and awards and the points have all been made abundantly clear.

I am entirely calm - did it seem like I was freaking out? I apologize if it did, because I'm not. *shrugs* I'm just trying to make what I'm saying clearer by getting to the point in my posts.

People WERE complaining, actually, and it's painfully obvious that the points we've been making AREN'T clean, because people keep bringing them up and questioning them again and again.

Yuna
10-11-2003, 02:45 AM
OKay people. Let's all CHILL OUT.

Tiffy, Ashley, Claire and G, lets let it die.

First off, if there's any ass awards, it's going to me damn it.

More to the point, as a masquerade staff member who took just as much crap as Claire did, SHUT UP ABOUT FREAKING CHAIRS. You guys FAIL to realize that the whole Akiyume club thing REALLY set the masquerade back and we had enough chair drama coming out of our ears. Like Claire said, if you want to watch the Masquerade, DON'T be in it. Common sense here.

Secondly, if a group is sour cause they didn't get an award, let them bitch and moan all they want because it only makes them look bad. Some people don't know how to be good sports about things and it really comes out at masquerades. Any Judges award is MEANINGLESS. He got a freaking ribbon. That's it. Let it freaking die. Let this motivate you to do better next year.

On a final note, if the whole FF group award thing is brought up again, by anyone, I will close this thread, This is NOT a thread to bitch about judgeing, this is a thread to discuss the masquerade. If you have a problem with how the judges judged, then deal with it else where.

SporkNinja
10-11-2003, 02:51 AM
The Myu group... 2 girls did all that?! WOOOOWWW...super saucy props to them!

Thank you very much!
>giggles< Gotta love props, especially supser saucy ones.. Mm.. Sauce.

Ahem. but I did wanna put in my two cents... I am a little slow when it comes to checking forums (actually, I had to be poked by Tris-chan to even know stuff was being posted about us here.... =^^;=), so I am apologizing ahead of time if anyone feels like I'm beating a dead horse.

First off, I think all of the Masq crew did a fabulous job! Quite honestly, I got to see first hand how effectively you guys worked as a team to help a cosplay group out, and it was greatly appreciated! It encourages me so much to want to continue participating in Masquerades (and maybe even help in one, some year!), Sure it would haev been nice to get chairs, but heck, after about 10 minutes I plopped my arse down on the cement and was happy as a clam.

As for awards... Honestly, I didn't expect to win anything... I think I must have been the most pessimistic about awards than the rest of the girls in our group... but, really... Even if we had won nothing, I could proudly walk away from that masquerade with my head held high withjust one thought: We (the group) got to perform our dance skit, the crowd liked it, and we had fun. that's what Cosplay is about to me: Fun. It's getting to be your favorite character for a day (or many days depending on how often the costume is worn), and getting to play with other cosplayers... that's what I love so much. It's like year-round halloween!...only with brighter colors.. >laughs< And, before anyone would even think it, (I would hope no oen would, but better safe than sorry) No, it's not because the group I was with won something. I've been cosplaying since 1996. Why? Because I think it's a fun thing that I can throw my creative passion into. This is the first time I did something competitive with my cosplay, and I am still blown away by the results... It's much more than I ever expected, and even if we hadn't won... stepping off that stage after our skit (NOT after the awards), was probably the best feeling I've experienced in a long time. The energy of the crowd was overwhelming.

Actually, I'm really excited because a friend of a friend taped the whole show, and I'll get to see it soon (I hope). I mean, the few bits and pieces I caught of some of the acts (the pre-masq Matrix, and the Megaman Couple) were really awesome! I'm really quite excited to see what the show looked like from the audiences' perspective...

Oh, btw Am I supposed to email Tristen directly about getting extra ribbons for all the girls in our group? I'd love for everyone to have something to proudly display (and Orange ribbons no less! how FUN!)

I guess that's all my change... prolly way more than two cents, but I'm a tipper! >laughs<

Just, one last, I think all the AM staff did a great job.. I really have no complaints about this year's con... I'm sorry you guys have had to deal with such a negative response about the awards, and how things were run.. I think it went great. I had a great time. And after about a dozen cons, I can say that this one was one of the funnest I've been too.. you guys definitely strive to make it a cosplayer's con.

Crazy Bunta
10-11-2003, 03:06 AM
Masquerade rocked and I am so glad I didn't miss it. There's my 2 cents.

:)

Oops I forgot to add another quick masquerade video clip...
http://www.cosplaymedia.com/imaman.wmv

Cherry
10-11-2003, 04:21 AM
DOOOOOOODDDD

Thank you, Raya.

No offense toward anyone. Is see everyone's point of view, but Claire, you seriously need to not jump people like that. I've read this entire thread, and you've been a LITTLE too quick to snap at everyone that tries to talk. "You got up on stage and told you were not Rinoa blah blah blah big deal". Excuse me. It takes a lot for some people to get on stage, and to SOME PEOPLE it means a lot to them.

G-Chan I think had some of the best points.

It's really hard to get up there and judge. Anything you do, something will be wrong. I know. I judged cosplay for a few minor Texas conventions. :( It's heart breaking! You want to give EVERYONE a prize by the end of it!

We can't expect to tell people that it's no big deal, because there is no wrong or right in cosplay. I don't personally take it to heart, but some people can, and do, and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

I personally enjoyed the masquerade. Didn't win anything, didn't WANT to win anything, but got a good laugh from all the X-People.

I didn't care. I had Ashley to run around with when the Masquearde got out of control when the judges were making their decisions. *Snicker*.

Anyway. I'm sorry if anyone didn't have a good time at the cosplay this year. <3. It's okay. You all did amazingly. The costumes this year rocked. Whether someone from your own group won or not, you still deserve just as much praise as the rest of them.

::Steps off soap box:: X_X; I probably won't check back on this thread. I refuse to fight on these boards.

Raya
10-11-2003, 04:30 AM
*______* You're my hero Cherry!!

Cherry
10-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Sankuu!!!!!!! Xd

Usagi Mylene
10-11-2003, 04:34 AM
:bigtu:

Very well said!!

PawTeeGal
10-11-2003, 04:58 AM
I must reflect what both Tris-chan, and Spork Ninja said. However in addtional to what was already said. This has been a wondeful masquerade experince personally for me in many ways. The crew, and judges did an awsome job. The audiences were great. Also, because of all that had happen. I can safely say for everyone in our group that all have gotten alot closer than we have ever had before. Stick together when things even when thing things arent going well.

oh yes, I've just imported to video from my friend, Hiroki's DV cam. I'm working hard to make some dvd's of it as soon as I could. However it does not containt the entire masquerade. some parts of it is missing but most of it is there. That's be'cause I sort of summoned him out of the crowd shortly after our first apparance.. Kind of needed a shoulder to cry on at that moment.

Again, thank you's and hugs to the everyone.

Pawtee

Rey-Rey
10-11-2003, 05:13 AM
As far as STALLING was concerned...

We did have plans. That's why the Black Mages were brought to stall. But they used up all their material in the BEGINNING of the MASQUERADE. And then we also had Rob Miles to help us stall. And then we also had the POOL to help us stall. And then we had some prizes to give away. But we did NOT think that they would take 45 minutes to decide their results. So we apologize if we seemed a bit... shaky at that and, trust me, we will work more on that.

As far as Vash The Stripper is concerned, I had no part in that whatsoever. I didn't allow him on stage and I sure as hell won't let him on stage ever again if he pulls off something like that. Stripping can be funny and sexy but only to an extent.

We just didn't think the judges would take so long to decide. Next year, we're going to come up with a one-hour PROGRAM if we have to.

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was looking for all along. ^__^

Lisa Honeychan
10-11-2003, 05:51 AM
I have remained silent about this whole debate since it started. I see both sides clearly, and appreicate that Tiffy-chan made her post- it seemed to the best thing explaining the other members of the group feelings, hopefully things will calm now.

We ALL worked very hard to make the 2003 AM masquerade a fun sucess. The crew, the sound guys, the cosplayers ALL put their hearts into putting on a great event, and for the mostpart, we all suceeded.

Now, I have a question for you all..-IF- for 2004, the AM masquerade had it posted for everyone to see that a person CAN, (or can't) be singled out for a judge's award, aside from their group..Would that make a difference to people?? It's something we will definately be debating about on staff for the next few months.

Everyone did a great job this year, and I hope to see you back in 2004!!!

Lisa Honeychan

LionBoogy
10-11-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't have any gripes about the Masquerade, because well, after you've been to like over 60 of them, they all kinda go the same. hehe I saw ALL my friends and *hugs* to G-chan, Char, Lisa, Prairie, Revell da MAN, Rob Miles, DJ Socket, DJ MOD, Tiffy, Wayne, and everyone else I know. Times like that really make me come back and do what I do. :)

So yeah, been with AM since the beginning, always the first of the batch to pay pre-reg, and donated a lot of time, money, stuff for panels to see AM prosper! yay! Which brings me to my point and makes me wonder sometimes...

1. Stop repeatedly telling me I'm gonna get a press pass 'cause I never got one and from where I ended up standing (waaayyy in the trees with an awesome view of the podium), I felt kinda snubbed... I almost just kinda went back to my room which I never do. ;_; *sadness*

2. That's it! I had an awesome time and the Matrix boogy-down pre-show really kicked ass. hehe
- Lionel

AM Chair
10-11-2003, 09:19 AM
1. Stop repeatedly telling me I'm gonna get a press pass 'cause I never got one and from where I ended up standing (waaayyy in the trees with an awesome view of the podium), I felt kinda snubbed... I almost just kinda went back to my room which I never do. ;_; *sadness*

2. That's it! I had an awesome time and the Matrix boogy-down pre-show really kicked ass. hehe
- Lionel

Hey Lionel, sorry about that, you know how much we love you for the support you've given us over the years. What happened was that John, our fabulous Publicity coordinator did have a badge set aside for you but another group managed to snag more than their share of press badges from an unknowing ops crew. John also pulled a 36 hour day from thursday through saturday making badges after his computer crashed. So his memory might have been shot to get you another one, as well as the fact that I sent him to bed at 11:30 am.
We value the coverage that LNN gives us each year, and you could have come right up front like Obsessed with Anime and Cosplay.com did, and next year you can do that, press badge or no. Thanks agin for your continued support and great photos and I hope you enjoyed the dinner.

LionBoogy
10-11-2003, 09:27 AM
yay! Thanks, Revell. I stick to whatever process that each con staff delivers because that is what I value the most (being a staffer myself) and I don't like to bend or break any rules. You absolutely did the right thing to send John to sleep. So that pretty much settles that. :)

OK, on to the next.. con.. thing... haha

- Lionel

SporkNinja
10-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Now, I have a question for you all..-IF- for 2004, the AM masquerade had it posted for everyone to see that a person CAN, (or can't) be singled out for a judge's award, aside from their group..Would that make a difference to people?? It's something we will definately be debating about on staff for the next few months.

Honestly, I don't think it should have to be posted somehwere. After all, if a judge gave their JUDGES award to a single individual, it's not really the control of the Masq or AM staff. A judge should be able to give out their personal award how ever they chose... besides, it would be a bit ODD if "Best Rack" went to a whole group, wouldn't it? Personally, the rest of the members in the group should be happy if one of their members got an award, not flame about it, because they are ultimately going to make the individual feel bad about winning it (and NO one should feel bad about winning something!), and cause a huge debacle like what we've seen here. I think a Judge should be able to give out their award as they see fit... Maybe the awards which are decided by all the judges (ie craftsmanship, cutest couple, etc) should be given to a group, but really, if it's an award like "Bravest cosplayer" (just making something up) the judges should be free to look at the individuals of the group, not just single entry walk ones, or whatever. So, it really shouldn't matter if it was posted up or not.

Remember, the Masquerade is just an extra event to cosplay fun. There weren't ALWAYS costume contests at Conventions... some of us freaks dressed up for the hell of it before Masqs were a big thing. Take it lightly, and don't bite the hands of those who worked hard to make them happen! If there is feedback, positive and especially negative, it should be given constructively so that they can make next year's show even better.

Now, I gotta pack up my soap box and go cut a wig.

Claire
10-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Cherry, WHY are you singling me out? Like I said in response to Raya, people are NOT understanding what I've been telling them, so I'm trying to make it clearer by getting to the point in my posts. This is not the only thread in which this same exact discussion has come up, and it's probably the fourth of fifth time that the other coordinators and myself have had to adress this specific group, and they still weren't getting it. No one's come back to keep questioning it after I started being very frank about it, so obviously that was what they needed.

We don't HAVE to come in here and explain why things went the way we did in the masquerade - we could all just plain ignore you. I could have replied once and just let that die, but I came back and clarified the situation again and again so that maybe, people would understand. I asked for suggestions as to what could make them happy, and all I get are people yelling at me to "calm down." Maybe YOU should calm down, since you're obviously so frazzled out about the whole thing.

FlameSniperRei
10-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Although I did not see the masquerade (due to rehearsals) The Myu costumes were awesome especially for their 1st masquerade competition. From one Myu group to another, great job!! ^o^

Rey-Rey
10-11-2003, 02:27 PM
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs. =D

K_Valentine
10-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Should there be another Matrix skit for next AM? Or should we try for something else?

Cherry
10-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Always try to be original. >:P

FlameSniperRei
10-11-2003, 02:56 PM
*agrees w/ cherry*

K_Valentine
10-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Hopefully we can whip something up by then. Eh, we got time. I just don't want to dance so much (never was my strong point).

Yuna
10-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Cherry, Raya, did you both NOT read my post? I told you all to drop it, and I ment it. I'm closeing this thread because you all are obviously too self righteous to let it go, even after being warned to. If there are ANY more threads in which this subject it brought up, they will be close the the member who brought it up will be warned.

THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT AM'03 AWARDS, IT WAS ABOUT THE MASQUERADE AND DISCCUSION ABOUT IT.