PDA

View Full Version : Historical Roman Garb

kawaiiXnoXjutsu
10-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Hello everyone! I'm helping my friend with her roman garb and I come to an issue.

Were going to make a tunic, also known as a chiton. This website here give a pretty good explanation of it: http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing2.html

It seems extremely simple (I mean it's 2 rectangles sewn together), but I'm worried about how to keep the sleeves from fraying. I was simply going to do a basic hem, but I'm worried that because the sleeves kind of gape open, you would be able to see the hem and it would look weird. But at the same time, I don't want to fully line it because that would be historically inaccurate.

I thought about just running a zigzag stick along the sides of the fabric and being done with it, but I really want this to look nice because my friend needs it to run for a State Junior Classical League position (which is kind of like running for county commissioner, only with high schoolers and Latin).

So any ideas? (Honestly I feel kind of stupid asking a question about sewing a giant rectangle, but apparently I have to overcomplicated everything that should be simple >.<)

LadyEvanescent
10-10-2010, 11:14 PM
I think a simple edge stitch would work. It's a row of stitching on the very edge of the fabric, normally 1/8" or less.

alpha_helix
10-11-2010, 12:43 AM
When I made mine, I left the selvedges intact for the side seams and did a narrow rolled hem for the top and bottom. Of course, it may not work if your fabric has a really obvious selvedge (I was lucky, mine was only noticeable if you looked for it), but if it'll work I think it would look better and probably be more period correct than finishing a raw edge.