PDA

View Full Version : "Woman Doctor's Diet for Teenage Girls"

Jia Jem
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
"Flossing has become a national pastime and, if you have to put something in your mouth, it's a great alternative to eating. Flossing is moving a waxed thread in and out between your teeth to stimulate your gums. You can floss 3 to 4 minutes daily. Spread it into four one-minute sessions if you are doing it in place of eating."

"Actually, in females, obesity is more of a life-spoiling disease than a life-threatening disease..."

"The Mirror Game. Every time you feel like eating, look in the mirror first. If that doesn't stop you, take off a few clothes. If that doesn't stop you, strip down to nothing. Do you like what you see? No thigh bulge, no big butt... then stop your diet! But, if you don't like what you see, keep dieting. If you must eat that piece of cake, eat it in front of the mirror and watch yourself swallow every bite."

Excerpts from Barbara Edelstein M.D.'s "The Woman Doctor's Diet for Teen-Age Girls", a best seller. In 1980.

I found this book at the thrift store for $1, and it has since become a constant source of amusement and horror for me and my friends when we're bored. I laugh and cry at the same time, and wonder how many children of the 80's she traumatized into a lifetime of poor self esteem and misinformation. It reminds us all to take even what is considered "expert" advice with a grain of salt, and use your head when making decisions. Don't believe everything you read!

Now I'm off to buy dental floss!

Kasinator
10-11-2010, 10:33 PM
ಠ_ಠ Wow. Just wow.

hollowchrist
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Lolololololol. I'm right there with you on the floss. Except my gums bleed. D:

HEYOashley
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM
@-@ that is absolutely terrifying. And I don't know about you...but eating cake while naked sounds pretty awesome...

xSYN
10-12-2010, 01:22 AM
hahaha, i want that book. XD

Ailovelove
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Wooow, for a second, I thought I was on some 'pro-ana' community on Livejournal.
Gonna go floss and eat cake in front of a mirror ~

Chirudesu
10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Is it bad that I wanna read that? D:
*looks through my drawers for floss*
That reminds me of the anorexic tip websites, not cool.

Jia Jem
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
@-@ that is absolutely terrifying. And I don't know about you...but eating cake while naked sounds pretty awesome...

I'm imagining some poor teenager eating cake naked in her room and her mom or dad busts in... how exactly would you explain that? AWKWARD.

Okay guys, I've been keeping up on my flossing and I've lost .001 pounds, the approximate weight of the food stuck between my teeth! :cool:

distantarray
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
ಠ_ಠ Wow. Just wow.

this

kiratsukai
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
This may inspire a naked cake-party.

But you can only have a piece of cake if you enjoy the nudity.

distantarray
10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
This may inspire a naked cake-party.

But you can only have a piece of cake if you enjoy the nudity.

this could be fun...

The Hag
10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
O.k. - it has NOTHING to do with weight loss, but you should still floss your teeth! For overall health, dental hygiene is nearly as important as exercise and good nutrition. But you only need to do it once a day.

(@Jia Jem - I agree, one doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.)

tsuoi_kaze
10-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Naked cake party.....that sounds a lot more interesting than it should.

And where can I find a copy of this book? XD It's horrifying and hilarious at the same time.

HEYOashley
10-19-2010, 02:18 AM
We need to thank the writer for inspiring the naked cake party. What a wonder! And lets not stop there, cookies, and red velvet cupcakes too :P

SamuriSmurfX
10-19-2010, 03:22 AM
I knew there was a reason I came in here...

We're having naked time!!!

...I luv naked time.

kiratsukai
10-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Photo challenge: Put your favorite character to the mirror-test!

Your photo must involve a mirror, tasteful/humorous nudity and some sort of cake. Don't forget your censored dots (or artfully placed dollops of frosting)!

Jia Jem
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Here I am, a moderator of Cosplay.com, somehow inadvertently encouraging nudity-fun-times, censored pictures (?!), vanity, and cake-eating.

hollowchrist
10-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I ate one of those Little Debbie Halloween Party Cakes naked the other day in front of the mirror. Made that cake look sexy. xD Or was the cake making me look sexy...? Hmm, questions....

Demmly-Pop
10-21-2010, 09:56 PM

I second that. xD

tsuoi_kaze
10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Photo challenge: Put your favorite character to the mirror-test!

Your photo must involve a mirror, tasteful/humorous nudity and some sort of cake. Don't forget your censored dots (or artfully placed dollops of frosting)!

You know, I can actually see this leading so some really awesome hilarious photos.

Chocolahime
10-21-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm going to be "girl cheating on her diet" for halloween. Anyone know where I can get peach coloured leotard?