PDA

View Full Version : toph coustum

earthbender12
10-11-2010, 10:01 PM
i really love the last airbender and toph is my favorite character in the series and i wanted to make a toph fire nation cosplay costume but im not sure how to so if yall can help me i would really appreciate it
just like the pattern and instructions and fabric to use THANKS !!! :)

EasilyAmewsed
10-11-2010, 11:17 PM
reference pictures always help ;)

Narnian
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I made Toph's Fire Nation costume out of four different pieces: the red under thing, the over the shoulder thing, the wrist covers, and the misshaped obi/belt. I made the red under thing from McCalls pattern 6083 (http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6083-products-10894.php?page_id=96). Since it's one piece it is a bit of a hassle. I would recommend making it in two pieces, a rectangular tub top and lose shorts.

The over the shoulder thing was long strips of fabric sewn together in this order: dark red, gold, dark red. It comes to my knees in the front and to my mid-thigh in the back. It's the easiest piece to make.

For the wrist covers, I cut strips of dark red and gold fabric that were as long as my hand circumference at the widest part and three inches wide. From there I cut two triangles out of the same red fabric I used for the red under thing. I also cut two long 1 1/2 inch wide strips of dark red fabric. I sewed the dark red and gold strips together the same as the over the shoulder thing (dark red, gold, dark red). Then I sewed the straight side of a red triangle to one side of dark red, gold, dark red band. Finally, I sewed the long 1 1/2 inch wide dark red strip along the pointed side of the red triangle. I repeated the same steps for the second wrist cover.

The misshaped obi/belt in the pictures is being redone so I'll tell you what the new obi/belt is like. It is a 15 inch long x 45 inch long rectangle that is wrapped and draped to look right. I just played around with the rectangle till it looked like Toph's obi/belt.

The wig is just a long black wig that is twisted into a simple bun. I have to remake it to get the giant bun, but I won't be doing that till the end of the year at least. I know of some great tutorials for how to make Toph's wig though.

I hope that helps. If any part of what I said doesn't make sense, just let me know and I will explain it better. It's hard to illustrate what I'm talking about without using pictures, but I'm planning on making a tutorial for the over the shoulder thing soon.