PDA

View Full Version : TV show " Castle "

thewolfelord
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow was that an excellent steampunk club or what ??

Mehdia
10-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I LOVE Castle, and last week when I saw the preview I was all "OMG! They are going to have steampunk in the show!" It actually showed up later in the episode than I expected, but overall I didn't think it was a terrible portrayal. It was a bit campier in a few aspects, but it didn't belittle the lifestyle like it could have. There were aspects that I loved, especially the way Castle described what steampunk is (and the fact that he knew something about it before the investigation took a turn into steampunk). And then, being a fan of Firefly, it was so great to see Nathan Fillion in the steampunk garb later in the episode since his character from Firefly was pretty much a steampunk cowboy in a way.

Did I think it was perfect portrayal, no. But was it better than what others probably would have done, yes.

ZiggyB
10-12-2010, 05:01 PM
If you look closely a few cosplayers were extras in the steampunk club scene.

Mangochutney
10-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Most of the extras were cosplayers/costumers, not pros. There was a casting call for the local steampunk community to come out and show the colors. And they did!

EmmiKristiina
10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Oh that episode rocked! I was already all giddy about the Delorean and Sherlock Holmes ( whom they just briefly mentioned) and when they knocked on that club door and I realized what was going on I squeaked ( no other word for it) so loud that my boyfriend woke up from his nap :rofl: But hey, anything that cool really deserved a good squeak :D

And yes, Castle is amazing. Heck Nathan Fillion is amazing !

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w56/EmmiKristiina/castle-steam9-thumb-572xauto-240441.jpg :love::p

Mehdia
10-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Oh that episode rocked! I was already all giddy about the Delorean and Sherlock Holmes ( whom they just briefly mentioned) and when they knocked on that club door and I realized what was going on I squeaked ( no other word for it) so loud that my boyfriend woke up from his nap :rofl: But hey, anything that cool really deserved a good squeak :D

And yes, Castle is amazing. Heck Nathan Fillion is amazing !

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w56/EmmiKristiina/castle-steam9-thumb-572xauto-240441.jpg :love::p

I was the same way, squealing when I saw all the steampunk stuff! And funnily enough, the next day, my brother and I were out driving to our older brother's apartment, and we passed a freakin' Delorean! I was totally geeking out over having seen all the cool stuff on Castle and then the next day seeing a Delorean for the first time in person!

And yes, both Castle and Nathan Fillion are amazing. And that picture of him in steampunk is so cool! I want that thing on his arm!

carladawn
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
OMG that episode was epic. I want to go to a club like that sooooooooo badly? Do those things actually exist. And yes, Nathan is amazing. :D

girlinthestars
10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
It was amazing! Even though I haven't ever done steampunk (I've always admired it) I loved that they incorperated it into Castle. It's my favorite show I this brought it up a notch

mattblasi
10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I also loved that they incorporated it but not entirely surprised they did. I also enjoyed the halloween episode they did (i think last season but could be wrong) when they did the Serenity/Fire Fly drop in.

But then I think anyone who likes Steampunk is probably sad FireFly didn't stick around more :(

I'm so happy Castle is still going...

Ironhill
10-16-2010, 12:38 PM
OMG that episode was epic. I want to go to a club like that sooooooooo badly? Do those things actually exist. And yes, Nathan is amazing. :D

Yes, the clubs do exist one way or another. Once a month in Philly the steampunk community takes over the Doubletree Hotel's ballroom and turns it into Dorian's Parlor, a steampunk club with vendors, contests and more. I'm sure other areas do the same thing, you just have to find them.

paper cosplay
10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
two thing
first who wished Nathan would of done the brown coat and 6 gun again. Halloween last year great cold opener this year I hop hes captain hammer for Halloween
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

second After it aired I went out to eat with my patents and mom start asking me about the episode and if that was what my mystery group dose.
http://www.hmabadger.com
so it was cool that it gave my mom a better understanding of what I do.

ps. steampunk got a much better treatment then the furry got from CSI

EmmiKristiina
10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
ps. steampunk got a much better treatment then the furry got from CSI

Thankfully! That furry episode was.... really really nasty:eeek:

Skeff
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, the clubs do exist one way or another. Once a month in Philly the steampunk community takes over the Doubletree Hotel's ballroom and turns it into Dorian's Parlor, a steampunk club with vendors, contests and more. I'm sure other areas do the same thing, you just have to find them.

I would kill to have an organized group to do this with in my area. Sadly, as of right now, its just me. One of my friends is getting into it and he seems pretty interested, but hasnít done a lot with it yet, he is starting though :)

I should try to look more around NC for some more people.

Mehdia
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I would kill to have an organized group to do this with in my area. Sadly, as of right now, its just me. One of my friends is getting into it and he seems pretty interested, but hasnít done a lot with it yet, he is starting though :)

I should try to look more around NC for some more people.

I'm the same way. I have a few friends around here into steampunk, but for the most part, we are it in the Memphis area. We got some crazy looks when we were out last weekend in steampunk, even though we kept getting told we looked nice.

carladawn
10-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh man, thanks for the answer to my question! I really need to find one! Anyone hear of anything like this in California??!

Mangochutney
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM
In California? Ye gods, you've got the grand dame of steampunk clubs in your back yard--provided your back yard contains Los Angeles, but you get me. Examine, if you will, The Edison (http://www.edisondowntown.com/).

paper cosplay
10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
my group turns a local club into a minor version of that for at least one night a year. we turn the inferno in Madison WI into the Steam Century's Dark Carnival. a steam punk Carnival with games, musical guest, side show acts, steam punk fashion show.

carladawn
10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
In California? Ye gods, you've got the grand dame of steampunk clubs in your back yard--provided your back yard contains Los Angeles, but you get me. Examine, if you will, The Edison (http://www.edisondowntown.com/).
Aww I'm in nor cal unfortunately!!

Tristes
10-23-2010, 01:28 AM
I absolutely love Firefly, and steampunk is really cool too. I was just really sad that they didn't incorporate it more into the plot line, that was sad... But it was good.

Kell-chan
10-23-2010, 02:13 AM
I really did appreciate this episode...not *entirely* a steampunk myself yet (costume is not quite done), but I appreciated the treatment of steampunk cosplayers. Years ago I was a CSI junkie - I've grown out of it, but I remember the furry episode in question. Not exactly flattering or true to the general cosplayer. It's really nice to see a perspective more accurate to the average steampunk - too bad I'm about 3000 miles away from auditioning for a position in the show. ^_^

astrya02
10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I still have yet to see that episode of Castle! It's recorded, and I'll probably end up watching it today or tomorrow...

But when I heard they were going to have steampunk in it, I freaked out. I think I actually out-geeked myself when I started explaining to my mum what it was. She thought it was pretty cool. I'm doing a steampunk costume for Halloween this year (it's not all that great, but it's only my first attempt!)

Gahhh Nathan Fillion looks so good in steampunk!!

Darkdreamyr
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM

My backyard would only include LA if it was 800 miles long, and/or I wanted to live in one of the centers of hell. ^^

/showing her NorCal bias

::whistles:: ^^