PDA

View Full Version : Good stand up ab workouts?

Chocolahime
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Typical story, got a skimpy cosplay planned but don't quite have the body. I'm skinny enough that if I just put some work into it it would be done but I don't have the motivation... Mostly because I hate to get down on the floor and do crunches.
What are some stand up ab workouts? Things I can use my weights for or combine with a leg/booty exercise?
I hope this hasn't been asked, I did a search but it brought up a ton of unrelated posts. Sorry in advance.

distantarray
10-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Typical story, got a skimpy cosplay planned but don't quite have the body. I'm skinny enough that if I just put some work into it it would be done but I don't have the motivation... Mostly because I hate to get down on the floor and do crunches.
What are some stand up ab workouts? Things I can use my weights for or combine with a leg/booty exercise?
I hope this hasn't been asked, I did a search but it brought up a ton of unrelated posts. Sorry in advance.

if there's anything you can grab on to hold you can do leg raises, but honestly even if your saying your skinny enough there's still room to go if your not happy with your abs. doing abs can help a little but more relies on diet and cardio over doing ab workouts in getting them to show.

you should also get a swiss ball so you don't have to go down on the floor to do ab crunches which would be a great way to going down :p

Chocolahime
10-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I think my diet is pretty good, bit of junk food and treats but I don't eat too much too often. I think I might be retaining water though, does one get rid of that just through drinking more water or is there something else?
It's going to be snowing soon so my main source of cardio will be gone T_T I will invest in a jump rope.

distantarray
10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I think my diet is pretty good, bit of junk food and treats but I don't eat too much too often. I think I might be retaining water though, does one get rid of that just through drinking more water or is there something else?
It's going to be snowing soon so my main source of cardio will be gone T_T I will invest in a jump rope.

a lot of people think they're skinny enough but have more room to go, I thought few people I've helped in the past didn't have much to lose, but lost a lot more than I ever expected. One girl that already had a flat tummy lost 20 pounds while gaining muscle o_O that was a shocker for me.

Depending on genetics our bodies store fats in different places, I guess for her body mainly stored her fat quite evenly though her body, cause she looks amazing now.

Snippy
10-13-2010, 09:43 PM
What I do to compliment the crunches is this:

Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and turn your torso to the left without turning your hips, straining your abs (especially your obliques, the side ab muscles) with every turn. Alternate after 10 or so.

Chirudesu
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Look up Jennifer Galardi. She did an AM 10-minute standing abs routine, and it works gooood. I saw it on demand, and I love it!
luckily someone recorded the video. Have fun~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfTvsucsp0&feature=related

PhDPepper
10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Just to let you know i personally haven't done an Ab focused workout in over a month now, and my abs look something like in this cosplay. Link (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2632797/)

I'm not sure exactly what your goal is with the Abs workouts but, the purpose of exercising a muscle is to make it bigger, so if you want your waist area bigger, i'd recommend a Swiss ball like DistantArray mentioned since the unstable swiss ball really works out all the abs muscles, which are basically a set of stabilizing muscles. if you do twisting motions, that will target a little more of the obliques, and will give what some people refer to as the Adonis Belt.

I guess my big point is, abs already exist, its just water weight plus where fat is stored that determine how much of it shows. If you want larger muscles though, work them out.

Kasinator
10-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I would suggest looking into what are called synergistic core exercises. it basically means working two or more body parts at once including your core. This one is one of my favorites. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5AzZ0HrgA&fmt=34) I do them with ankle weights. fity of em! :D
Just to let you know i personally haven't done an Ab focused workout in over a month now, and my abs look something like in this cosplay. Link

I'm not sure exactly what your goal is with the Abs workouts but, the purpose of exercising a muscle is to make it bigger, so if you want your waist area bigger, i'd recommend a Swiss ball like DistantArray mentioned since the unstable swiss ball really works out all the abs muscles, which are basically a set of stabilizing muscles. if you do twisting motions, that will target a little more of the obliques, and will give what some people refer to as the Adonis Belt.

I guess my big point is, abs already exist, its just water weight plus where fat is stored that determine how much of it shows. If you want larger muscles though, work them out.

This can't be stressed more. Abs are like any other muscle. The real trick is getting enough cardio in to show them. for the people that want bigger abs, they work on them with low rep, high intensity, once or week or even longer. For people who want something more slender, they do high rep ab workouts several times a week. but it should not be done every day. otherwise your body does not get its needed recovery time.