PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of health....

Cryllia
10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
So I'm looking to loose 100 lbs - I need to desperately. Unfortunately for me I have a lot of health problems that prohibit me from doing a lot of your standard exercises (such as push-ups, jogging, most high-impact things). Right now I'm walking, but I suspect that will only get me so far. Any thoughts or help?

distantarray
10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
So I'm looking to loose 100 lbs - I need to desperately. Unfortunately for me I have a lot of health problems that prohibit me from doing a lot of your standard exercises (such as push-ups, jogging, most high-impact things). Right now I'm walking, but I suspect that will only get me so far. Any thoughts or help?

listing your health problems would be nice to start so we can help avoid some problems and listing bad advice.

Like we can say you can eat spinich which is very healthy for most, but if you have a problem like hypo-thyroidism spinich and seaweed can actually be bad for you, and help you gain weight.

Generally though first I'd start taking vitamins (life force by source naturals is good and cheap) and a good glucosamine + msm support in liquid form would be a good idea to start.

Then try doing things like push ups but in a higher angle, if on the ground is too hard, try doing push ups with your hands on top of a chair or table leaning on, or if that's bad try against the wall.

http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/895.jpg

Doing things like squats are always good but remember take baby steps but don't go so light that your heart rate doesn't go up. If your heart rate is too high and you start getting too out of breath it's not recommended. Stay at a pace where your heart rate is elevated and maintain it. You don't need to run on the treadmill to get a great workout.

if you can't do a pull up they you can grab something to pull you up in an angle, like a perfect pull up machine which you can just buy straps and connect it to any sturdy pole around the house.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3535635_f260.jpg

Personally in my opinion don't even worry about diet at first and just keep with exercise and the willpower will start to come in as you get stronger and healthier through exercise alone. Eventually you'll love working out and then you'll cut down as your confidence builds.

bkyoung
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
now, if you can only walk, stick with that. go one step at a time. no need to build muscle rite now. Just go out and walk for as long as you feel comfortable doing then the next day try to walk a little furter, then further, and so on. adventually youll find your health problems becoming less of a problem, then you can power walk. do that for a while the start briskly jogging and so on. you requested a way to loose 100 lbs with only being able to walk. there it is, this with a good nutrition will get you shedding weight like no tommorow. I suggest buying a book on the atkins diet and a few atkins recipe books. On the atkins i lost 60 lbs in a little over 5 months.

aaachiaki
10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
If you know how to swim (in general, not necessarily "really well") and have access to a pool swimming can be a great workout. It's high in cardio which is good for fat burning. It has some natural resistance by the nature of the water. And, it's low impact. You don't have to hit the pool and swim a marathon, even just wading and walking laps in the shallow end is good and it'll mix things up a bit. You may find you can do a bit more than what you previously thought as a result of being lighter in the water so you may be able to push yourself (not too much but a healthy amount) a bit harder than by just walking and get a better workout.

Another thing you can do to workout your core would be to get one of the large exercise balls. I think you can get them for like 20.00 at WalMart? Just sitting on the ball instead of the couch when you watch TV will work your abdominal muscles. If you feel good and want to do a bit more stay seated and just bounce up and down with your legs (not jumping, just little movements, pushing your feet against the floor and then easing up to move up and down while sitting on the ball), or you can rock side to side. It's kind of fun to bounce up and down too, because it doesn't feel like you're working out, just like you're a little kid rocking around and being silly. This will work your abdominal a bit more directly without being too intense or having to do straight crunches. Plus, it can be an investment too. Because as you loose weight and want to increase your workout a ball like this can be used for extended crunches, and so on.

To compound on what distantarray was saying about strength training methods that are "non-traditional" resistance bands are another great investment for strength-training. You can throw them over a door and kneel or sit on the floor to get a back workout:

https://www.physique.co.uk/large_catalogue_images/bodylastics1.jpg

You can then take the same band and use it to do curls:

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/29_2008/res.jpg

If you buy a band with less resistance you can loop it under your foot later on to increase the resistance. Again another fairly cheap investment that you could use awhile for your workout needs. Plus you can get very light resistance from the bands so it wouldn't be too much of a strain, whatever is right for you. And, you can take them with you when you travel because you aren't really using anything "special" that you need to hook up or that's really heavy and bulky to carry like a dumbbell.

Here's a good site with other resistance band workouts (some may not be for you but it shows what you can do with bands): http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/resistance-band-exercises.html

And another website: http://www.resistancebands.com/women.html

As distantarray said anymore information on your heath complications, your living situation, things you have available to you, ect... will help a lot to make things more custom to help you

Snippy
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
now, if you can only walk, stick with that. go one step at a time. no need to build muscle rite now. Just go out and walk for as long as you feel comfortable doing then the next day try to walk a little furter, then further, and so on. adventually youll find your health problems becoming less of a problem, then you can power walk. do that for a while the start briskly jogging and so on. you requested a way to loose 100 lbs with only being able to walk. there it is, this with a good nutrition will get you shedding weight like no tommorow. I suggest buying a book on the atkins diet and a few atkins recipe books. On the atkins i lost 60 lbs in a little over 5 months.

I have to agree with bkyoung here, not discounting the advice of the other posters. If all you're looking for is weight loss, then cardio(vascular) exercise is what you should be concentrating on, and yes walking is included. You should seek personal advice, considering we all have bodies which respond differently to the same routines, to prevent health risks from exerting yourself too much at your present state. However, get committed to being healthier, dropping weight and being happy in the process.

Baby steps at first; walk around the neighborhood, take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator, ditch the soda, sweets, and all of that unhealthy stuff. Your body won't respond to your goals if it isn't fueled properly.

After you feel you are making progress, you can start jogging around and move into anaerobic exercise. You can definitely do it, but know that it will take a while to get there. :D

someonewhodied
10-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Here is how i've lost a bit weight. It is somewhat torturous but quicker than most methods.
1. For a few days, eat more than usual to speed up your metabolism
2. Eat a LOT less for a while. Your body will still have quickened metabolism but not enough food to use for energy...so well...fat gets burned.
3. Throw in a 5-20 minute jog AND around 25 sit-ups each day (you likely won't have the energy to do more if you do this right) and after a week or two, you will have lost a good 2-8 pounds.

(every 2500 calories you are short of each ~week is a pound lost for an average human IIRC)

Don't try it if you do not fall into one or more of the following categories:
1. Desperate
2. Emo
3. Self Destructive
4. Inhuman and likes to torture self.
5. Don't Mind Discomfort.

hope this helps >=D

Uberwekkness
10-14-2010, 01:13 AM
That is a terrible idea.

someonewhodied
10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I know its a terrible idea. It works though. And it wasn't suggested before...so I did the honors.

aaachiaki
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
It's not genuine weight loss though by starving yourself, you'll just gain it back.

Plus, you can't super charge your metabolism by eating more for only a few days and then eating less. That just confuses your metabolism and sends you into starvation mode.

Furthermore, if you have health problems starving yourself in any way could deny your body things it needs to stay healthy.

And Finally, you can loose weight by eating a fair amount of things so long as you eat the right kinds and exercise with it.

Uberwekkness
10-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah, there's that whole thing where you starve yourself, and afterward your body hang onto any food it gets for dear life. I'm pretty sure you gain weight faster and it's harder to lose it again after doing something like that.

ShaolinWolf
10-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I've lost a ton of weight before and this is the best I advice I can give you:

1. drop all the bad food like sodas, fast food, candy, fatty meats, cheeses, etc. Make vegetables, lean meats, fruits, whole wheat bread, etc the staple of your diet.

2. keep on walking, try to walk faster the more you get used to it. if you're at school or at work, etc, any kind of building, try to take the stairs instead of the elevator.

3. stop eating when you watch TV, or on the computer. Only eat when you're doing nothing else, and chew slowly. that way you get filled easier and you won't feel so hungry afterward.

4. drink lots of water. lots. don't kill yourself with it, but always try to have a water bottle with you.

and the most important one

5. be realistic. you won't lose this weight fast. it's a long process, and you won't see any immediate returns right off the bat. the most constant failure i see with people trying to lose weight is that they're always looking at themselves in the mirror or getting on the scale the first few days, and give up when they don't look like completely different people. they kill themselves for a few days and then just throw in the towel. just remember This is a slow, long process that takes months, and people around you will begin to notice before you do.

grotesk_faery
10-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Try not to drink anything even remotely cold when you eat because the cold numbs the nerve endings in your stomach and your body is unable to tell when you are full.

drakeprimeone
10-17-2010, 03:28 AM
If high impact is detrimental I would suggest two things exercise wise...
1. Swimming
2. any type of biking, cycling, spin classes

either one is easy on the joints and can burn calories very nicely

You should also consult a nutritionist for an appropriate eating diet

distantarray
10-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Here is how i've lost a bit weight. It is somewhat torturous but quicker than most methods.

You'll only speed up your metabolism if you eat more often in smaller sizes. It's like a train engine if you fill it with too much coal the fire will become smaller, and if you don't stick in enough the fire will never burn at optimum potential. The key is to NEVER feel full, but NEVER feel hungry. it doesn't matter how many meals just try to stay at a happy medium.

2. Eat a LOT less for a while. Your body will still have quickened metabolism but not enough food to use for energy...so well...fat gets burned.

You'll lose weight but not generally fat, especially if you incoporate exercise into the mix you'll end up burning MUSCLE. As the body knows what to break down for the most effeicent sources of energy. which is muscle. When people generally try to lose weight body prefers fat cause people generally have too much fat and not enough muscle to burn, but starving yourself will result in being sick and even possible death in the long run if diet doesn't meet the requirements of a healthy training program. Too strict of diets and too strict of exercise will push the bodies into crazy craving binges so the chances are you'll fail, but it's cause you needed to fail from a terrible program. Get on a good one and cheating won't be much of an issue.

3. Throw in a 5-20 minute jog AND around 25 sit-ups each day (you likely won't have the energy to do more if you do this right) and after a week or two, you will have lost a good 2-8 pounds.

(every 2500 calories you are short of each ~week is a pound lost for an average human IIRC)

light exercise is good, it's good to know that it's best to start off light so you don't kill yourself for the next few days being stuck in bed all sore. but start off light and keep things going, but 2,500 calories = not 1 pound of fat. It's 3,500 calories =)

1. Desperate
2. Emo
3. Self Destructive

hope this helps >=D

the chances are people who need to lose 100+ pounds are most highly suspectible into any one of the categories -_-;

Often they feel desperate because they feel nothing's worked with soo many idiotic plans and gadgets out there, then they get emotional cause they feel that why me? or self destructive by getting in a rut and eating even more, and tortures themselves by becoming emotional and doing nothing but eating and being stuck indoors ashamed to go out because of discontent they feel from people looking at them. :p

Generally people are told so many terrible and WRONG things in the ideas of weight loss, mainly because the industry makes more money off frustrating people and never teaching them the true way to lose weight and staying healthy.

Since bad advice makes more money than good advice cause when you practice things like over training you'll HAVE to resort to using more supplements to help your body keep up with the pace, and stupid gimmicks like shake weight will get people's money and destroy their hopes. but then if anyone falls for it they deserve to get hit. If something came out that really worked a machine or anything that could get people to lose weight and look great with 5-10 minutes a day no one would be fat or lazy.

Eat right and workout. Especially as a girl lift heavy weights above 20 pounds is FINE. most people men or women have this misconception that if they lift a few weights they'll get HUGE. If you don't believe just sit at GNC and watch how many people say that when they buy a tub of protein. "I don't want to get too big...."

Lifting heavy weights and following it up with sometypes of cardio is great, and if you lose weight while weight lifting you'll have a lot less loose skin to worry about. Although I say this and don't have scientific study to show for it, having a friend going from 450 pounds to 190 pounds of pure lean muscle mass without ANY loose skin on his body is proof enough for me.

grotesk_faery
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM

1. Desperate
2. Emo
3. Self Destructive

hope this helps >=D

We're trying to help her, not kill her >:(