PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I'm to fat to cosplay anything.

Soku
10-13-2010, 12:31 AM
This is more of a rant to a recent frustration I'm having. I have many cosplay ideas that I would really love to do, but then all of a sudden I get this thought in my head that I'm to fat to cosplay those characters, so I try and find a another one, rinse and repeat. This is driving me insane, I've gone on a strict diet ( not for cosplaying) so I can lose weight, and even though it is working, Gahhh why can't I just be happy!

I'm not looking for comments or anything, just wondering if anyone else feels or has felt the same way, and what you did to get over it =)

Lento*
10-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Um... *raises hand* Ditto? lol. It's stupid commercialization where everyone has to be toothpick size to feel good. I hate it >.< I myself started dieting and exercising this month (and yes, cosplaying is my motivation, I am guilty). I don't want to be Nicole Richie size, I just want to be... healthy. And I don't feel healthy, which bothers me. I think if I felt healthy I would be happy with how I looked in costumes, even if I wasn't a size -2 like the characters.

tsuoi_kaze
10-13-2010, 01:26 AM
I feel the same constantly, don't worry. >.<

And it sucks, because my friends will encourage me to cosplay *insert awesome characters that I'd really really like to do here* for various reasons, but I know I can't. Because the character always shows too much leg/open midriff/low cut back/etc.

Yukikittie
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM
It is really hard to find the courage to cosplay as a character who's like thin as stick when you're plus sized. But honestly there are some cosplays where I prefer the person to be chunky or curvy.
Like for anyone who dresses in lolita, I find the plus sized loli's to be the cutest!!
You aren't as big as you're making yourself though...I think you're average sized, so worry not!
To get over it...I don't know what I do...sure I get my fears and worries that people will make fun of me for being plus sized, but overall I take fun>judgement any day. So that's probably it. :)

Kasinator
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
cosplay is rated E for everyone. Despite my dedicated fitness lifestyle, Cosplay to me was more about acting the part. not necessarily looking the part. i mean no matter how hard anyone tries, they cant be a pikachu, but ca they try to dress like one and act the part? You bet! :D

InkyDoo
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I felt the same way and I actually stopped cosplaying because I had gained weight. I recently went back to a convention and realized that I can cosplay anybody I want, it just depends on myself and my level of comfort. I was stopping myself.

I agree with many that I too have found some plus sized cosplay is better than the skinnys out there doing it and some do it better.

I'm staying on track as far as dieting and exercising but I don't plan on stopping cosplay. It makes very happy and proud that I made something well and can work it. If I lose weight along the way then I can just pick different characters I feel comfortable doing.

If it helps I always post a post it note that says something I like on the mirror. Despite have Lilo legs (my friends call them that) I think they're sexy. I think you might be having to fight your mental self esteem and build it up. Post something or notice something that you like about yourself not just your hair or eyes but anything just think positive. Just saying my arms look really nice or sexy helps then saying Oh they look fat.

I've also joined a group that posts post it notes in public places that say positive things. I've noticed people cheer up a lot when you compliment them. I always tell the sandwich guy he always looks good in green and he did, later I ran into him at a bar and he was wearing a green shirt. I think positive thinking helps or I could just be a loony but its helps me.

SourCherryTwist
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
being of german descent, I have a very stocky, curvy, body. I used to hate it, but once I realised curves actually look GOOD, and help accentuate some cosplays :)

aaachiaki
10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Cosplay was part of my primary motivators to loose weight. So I've totally been there. In fact I remember one moment where I was trying on old costumes and I tried to put on one of the first costumes I'd made (nothing fancy, just Launch from DB) and I realized the shorts no longer fit me. And it wasn't like, they looked bad on me, or I had a muffin top, they legitimately no longer fit me. I couldn't even button them while sucking in. And that was a costume which I had felt slightly overweight in three years ago (at that point) when I wore it.

I'd been in kind of a denial stage about my gaining weight for awhile and my cosplay choices had really suffered from it... to not really cosplaying at all anymore at that point. I thought of all the characters I wanted to cosplay and then I imagined my fat ass in the costumes and I realized I wouldn't let myself do them in the shape I was in.

Really how I got over that feeling was just to buckle down and drop the weight. Not only do I look better, but I feel better and I am healthier. I set realistic goals for myself (and realized I could never really have Nami's figure because who could?) worked hard and then felt better when I got there.

Oniigiri_Basket
10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I think a lot of people feel too large to cosplay, especially if they compare themselves to Japanese cosplayers, who are usually very petite. Anime characters are infamous for being extremely thin and have unrealistic body proportions, so it's hard for anyone to meet up to those standards.
I know how hard it is to feel insecure about your appearance, but if you take a look around a convention, there are actually quite a lot of people that aren't what's typically depicted and and accepted as "thin" by society today. Do they keep it from letting them have fun doing what they love? Nope.
So just remember that nobody is "perfect" in every way, and we are all unique!

CherryBambina
10-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Hello Soku! Its nice that i found your post because i feel like this actually! I recently made a new thread called "Girl cosplay for newbie!" if im not mistaken. Im new with anime and cosplay, so i have never made one yet but there is this local activity like a competition for cosplayers and i was planning on doing a cosplay ot at least dress-up as something to see how things go and in the future do more. I was searching the internet for easy cosplays to make and i always find some thin girl suggestions and im not so thin. So i decided to make a new thread because i didnt think there would be some other girls with this problem. Now i feel better knowing that im not the only one. Im going to start a diet because its not only to look good but to feel good.

I havent received any suggestion yet but someone posted that i should have put some pictures of me so i did it and now im waiting for suggestions. I think the same as most of the people that have answered this post, i dont think the person have to be completely thin as the real character because you can LOOK like her but dont know how to ACT like her. i would like to meet a character so well that i can even act like her. So yeah, it doesnt matter if physically we dont look like them because we are from different countries and we have different bodys and everything.

Well Soku, i dont think i can tell you yet how i got over it because that feeling still gets back at me sometimes. But i can tell you that if you feel good the way you look and your healthy, then it doesnt matter. You can cosplay anything you want! Hope we all make more cosplays and we can share them in this forum!

zssfanxxx
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I have the same feeling hunni..I have to exercise and eat well everyday to be fit for my future Black butler cosplays next year! So I gotta look my best right? XD (of course I do!!!) Anyways.. Maybe going on the treadmill an hour a day would help you? Even dancing will help you!:D

saiyamanmasenko
10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I havewhat is essentially a beer gut, but I still cosplay. I know your feelings. I think (and from the responses it is pretty apparent) that we all feel too big to cosplay from time to time. I'm trying to work on my diet and exercise more, but I know from experience having friends who are supportive of you as a person. And besides, cosplay is for FUN. Just enjoy yourself first. Appearance comes later.

Chirudesu
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I live this everyday even in normal clothes!

I am by no means round, curvy, luscious, chunky, oh no. I'm much much bigger than that. I get that ashamed to cosplay feeling from all angles, I'm really tall and dark-skinned too, so that's an even bigger a damper on my costume ideas.
But I do agree, it's very hard to find a costume that you like and looks good on you, but they're out there! Bigger people can cosplay too, it's just a costume in the end, nobody can ever be a replica of a character because there's always SOMETHING they can't fix about themselves.
The key for fuller cosplayers is that you should find something that fits your body type. Suits, long dresses, chibi characters, gijinkas, etc. Those work great! May not be what you want for now, but when you're thinner, you can do the fun stuff right?

kiratsukai
10-13-2010, 05:41 PM
A thread aimed at overweight cosplayers was moved to the "fitness" forum in spite of requesting no advice or discussion of weight loss...

*facepalm*

Message to fat people: Want to be comfortable with yourself? The only way is not to be fat.

BerryBunny
10-13-2010, 05:41 PM
From looking at your pictures you are not fat and DEFINITELY capable of cosplaying as anything you want to! So hush! On the other hand, cosplay is a good reason to start losing weight, not only to look good but it's important for your health!

MercuryLampe
10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I get really self-concious myself, when haters and mean people say, "Oh, Americans and fat people can't cosplay." That is so untrue, and just plain stupid. ANYONE can cosplay, no matter how big you are! I told myself this, so I'm not afraid to cosplay anymore! ^___^ Half the people who say that you can't cosplay because of your weight, they have worse costumes. Your cosplays are lovely, please always try things you want to cosplay, don't worry about your size, or anything like that. If you truly love to cosplay, then go for it! :D
I wish you the best of luck, and good luck with your diet as well! (^________^)/

MercuryLampe
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I get really self-concious myself, when haters and mean people say, "Oh, Americans and fat people can't cosplay." That is so untrue, and just plain stupid. ANYONE can cosplay, no matter how big you are! I told myself this, so I'm not afraid to cosplay anymore! ^___^ Half the people who say that you can't cosplay because of your weight, they have worse costumes. Your cosplays are lovely, please always try things you want to cosplay, don't worry about your size, or anything like that. If you truly love to cosplay, then go for it! :D
I wish you the best of luck, and good luck with your diet as well! (^________^)/

(By the way, you are soooo not fat! :O You're really pretty! ^___^)

Soku
10-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, it's nice to be able to talk to people about this kind of stuff, without feeling totally stupid. =)

I should stop trying to comparing myself to other people, because I'm not going to get anywhere if I do that.

I guess I should also plan my next shopping trip to the fabric store ;)

Ghai
10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh I know the feeling. I know I'm not exactly fat, more so flabby, but the outfits I want to do require physique. Such being a 300 Spartan or Monkey from Enslaved. I could honestly do them well enough thanks to the bulk I have, however it comes down to a matter of comfort. As I am I simply wouldn't be comfortable in the outfits I want to do, thus I have others =D. I would put the mental comfort first, then maybe worry bout what others would think.

saiyamanmasenko
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
A thread aimed at overweight cosplayers was moved to the "fitness" forum in spite of requesting no advice or discussion of weight loss...

*facepalm*

Message to fat people: Want to be comfortable with yourself? The only way is not to be fat.
Wow. Harsh.

(By the way, you are soooo not fat! :O You're really pretty! ^___^) I am so glad to know there are people who will post things like this, MercuryLampe.

PunkRockPanic
10-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Wow. Harsh.

I believe she meant thats what it felt like coscom was saying by moving the thread to here ^^;

someonewhodied
10-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Easy solution:
If you are only fat in the torso, you can fix that in a few weeks merely by doing around 50-200 sit-ups a day.

if you are overweight in general, the easiest solution is to skip breakfast and go on daily mile-long jogs.

People only get overweight because they are too lazy to donate 8-10 minutes of their time each day to exercise. And you even get those 8-10 minutes back by not wasting time on breakfast.

Crydda
10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Easy solution:
If you are only fat in the torso, you can fix that in a few weeks merely by doing around 50-200 sit-ups a day.

if you are overweight in general, the easiest solution is to skip breakfast and go on daily mile-long jogs.

People only get overweight because they are too lazy to donate 8-10 minutes of their time each day to exercise. And you even get those 8-10 minutes back by not wasting time on breakfast.

Eating breakfast is essential to losing weight, believe it or not.

Well, skipping any meal in general is bad.
When you starve yourself, your body starts storing fat.
That's why most people suggest eating 5-6 times a day in smaller portions.

I've actually experienced this myself.
I noticed when I started picking up the habit of eating breakfast, my average weight was lower than when I skipped Breakfast and lunch [I wasn't real fond of school food at the time...].
Plus, skipping breakfast and going on mile long jogs?
Yeah not something you'll EVER get me into, personally...

Snippy
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM

I noticed when I started picking up the habit of eating breakfast, my average weight was lower than when I skipped Breakfast and lunch [I wasn't real fond of school food at the time...].

^^ Correct. Starving yourself is just as, if not more, harmful to you than gorging on twinkies for breakfast lunch and dinner. Well, maybe not quite as bad but you know what I mean. :P

someonewhodied
10-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Really? I lost a good 8lbs in a month when I started doing this and I am at 4.7 Body Fat Percentage.
Also, a mile long jog isn't that much. Take your iPod with you and listen to some fast paced music (I use quick video game themes as they loop perfectly) and it is really easy. I manage 5-7 minute miles easily...
Its torture, but it works.
But now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I started doing what I do...

FireCamel
10-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Don't feel bad, OP! I'm borderline underweight and STILL not as pencil-skinny as anime girls! And that's okay. They are drawn, stylized cartoon/comic characters and it's impossible to look like them in real life. And don't feel bad about being "too big" to cosplay. Nobody's too big to wear costumes! Your diet will pay off and you'll become more healthy and more confident with your body. Just remember that your ultimate goal should be to achieve your target weight, not to look like anime girls.

Oh, and whoever said to skip breakfast, that is a BAD IDEA, don't do it! Breakfast is what jumpstarts your body and gives it the energy to burn more calories during the day. Skipping breakfast will cause your body to store more fat.

Oniigiri_Basket
10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Easy solution:

Okay, that's bad advice. Eating breakfast is actually beneficial in losing weight. Don't skip it, unless you feel like making things harder on yourself.

And no, people do not only get overweight because they're "too lazy" to exercise a couple minutes a day. There can be emotional issues behind it, genetic issues, disabilities, and the list goes on.

Think about something before you say it, please.

tsuoi_kaze
10-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Easy solution:

1) No such thing as targeting fat loss.
2) As others have said, skipping breakfast is BAD. I only do it because my stomach can't handle food that early in the morning so I feel sick if I eat then, but I'm also fat and have a horribly difficult time even losing the tiniest bit of weight because of it. Eat breakfast. Period.
3) There are a ton of factors that play in to being overweight, not just laziness. I know swimmers who don't even have skinny/athletic looking/perfect bodies, yet they practice every day in what is easily the most physically demanding sport. You'd be surprised how little a role simple laziness plays. I'd also like to know where you're getting that 8-10 minutes a day without changing anything else in your diet/exercise routine is going to be enough to actually get results, because most people do about that much without realizing just doing everyday tasks.

I have a feeling you're one of those people who has always been skinny without trying. Not to bash people who are like that (I sure as hell wish I were), but the vast majority of people who give the kind of advice you do and believe that overweight automatically equals lazy are.

Oniigiri_Basket
10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
1) No such thing as targeting fat loss.
2) As others have said, skipping breakfast is BAD. I only do it because my stomach can't handle food that early in the morning so I feel sick if I eat then, but I'm also fat and have a horribly difficult time even losing the tiniest bit of weight because of it. Eat breakfast. Period.
3) There are a ton of factors that play in to being overweight, not just laziness. I know swimmers who don't even have skinny/athletic looking/perfect bodies, yet they practice every day in what is easily the most physically demanding sport. You'd be surprised how little a role simple laziness plays. I'd also like to know where you're getting that 8-10 minutes a day without changing anything else in your diet/exercise routine is going to be enough to actually get results, because most people do about that much without realizing just doing everyday tasks.

I have a feeling you're one of those people who has always been skinny without trying. Not to bash people who are like that (I sure as hell wish I were), but the vast majority of people who give the kind of advice you do and believe that overweight automatically equals lazy are.

This.

kittiesXXrawr
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I Feel Like This All The Time. . It Even Gets So Bad When I Leave The House That I Have A Mental Breakdown And Cry My Eyes Out. . But The Worst Part Is That I've Been Dieting And Exercisin And I Live In A 3 Floor House And I Run Up And Down 2 Flights Of Stairs Ever Day To Do Laundry [[ 9 Ppl Live Here ]] But Its A Pain. . And I Smoke And My Lungs Are Bad From The Beginin. . But Girl I Kno Your Pain. . And I Kno You Can Do Anythin You Want When You Set Your Mind To It. . If You Wanna Cosplay The Skinny Ones Then Do It. . No One Is Stoppin You But Yourself. . Jus Put Your Mind To It And Good Luck:sunny:

Kasinator
10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Ummm for some reason everyone is putting up all sorts of wacky weight loss tips here. all the real and effective ones are in our handy thread directory folks :P

and anyone can still pm me for help too :D

kuramasan
10-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Really? I lost a good 8lbs in a month when I started doing this and I am at 4.7 Body Fat Percentage.
Also, a mile long jog isn't that much. Take your iPod with you and listen to some fast paced music (I use quick video game themes as they loop perfectly) and it is really easy. I manage 5-7 minute miles easily...
Its torture, but it works.
But now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I started doing what I do...

wow. I can loose 7 pounds in a month if I walk for about an hour a day. (my metabolism IS slow though. Not just like 'I think it's slow', it really doesn't process glucose normally.)
Maybe I should jog...... That's such a bad idea though! I always hurt myself when I try and do that stuff if the surface isn't completely flat. -_- I am the uber clutz. I can't even run on a tread mill because it's just too dangerous for me. Walking is safe.
I just stand there and for no apparent reason I fall over. D;
Also Aren't you never supposed to be under 8% body fat as a woman? (though I just decided to google and check and it says 10% is lowest healthy. but only for athletes. regular women should have 14%. The other site I found is saying towards the 15% for teens.) Even Gackt is 5% body fat and that guy is majorly ripped and stone hard. That's really not good actually...
Have you been to a doctor recently?

BlueNami
10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
"..I'm to fat to cosplay those characters.." Are you kidding?! You're not fat by any means! You be crazy, woman!

Keep in mind, the characters we're all trying to cosplay are from japan, where everyone is about the size of a lamp pole. Being that thin would be nice, but I mean, who wants to be that thin? Sure, you have absolutely no curves whatsoever, and you're so bony it's almost painful to hug you.. oh.. wait.. lost my train of thought.

The point is, you're not fat. I looked at your profile, and saw you rockin' some cosplay. And as Kasinator said, nobody will absolutely look the part of the cosplay they're wearing. The point is to express yourself, have fun, take the role of one of your favorite characters and enjoy it. There's too much room for judgement in the world these days, so just turn the other cheek. Because honestly, I admire people who actually have some meat on their bones. Stressing about your appearance in a friendly cosplaying community is silly, there isn't anyone superior to the other, just a group of equals looking to have fun. :D

Soku
10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
"..I'm to fat to cosplay those characters.." Are you kidding?! You're not fat by any means! You be crazy, woman!

Keep in mind, the characters we're all trying to cosplay are from japan, where everyone is about the size of a lamp pole. Being that thin would be nice, but I mean, who wants to be that thin? Sure, you have absolutely no curves whatsoever, and you're so bony it's almost painful to hug you.. oh.. wait.. lost my train of thought.

The point is, you're not fat. I looked at your profile, and saw you rockin' some cosplay. And as Kasinator said, nobody will absolutely look the part of the cosplay they're wearing. The point is to express yourself, have fun, take the role of one of your favorite characters and enjoy it. There's too much room for judgement in the world these days, so just turn the other cheek. Because honestly, I admire people who actually have some meat on their bones. Stressing about your appearance in a friendly cosplaying community is silly, there isn't anyone superior to the other, just a group of equals looking to have fun. :D

Hey, thanks! =^^= I've gotten more determined than ever to feel better about myself, nothing wrong with getting more fit!

HomeDepot
11-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I know how you feel, once you start thinking of yourself as fat or unattractive it becomes a hard cycle to break. I lost twenty pounds years ago and I've kept it off, but I still look at myself on some days and think i'm too pudgy to be wearing (insert clothing article here). I know I have to believe that I am worthy and remember how I feel about myself on the self-confident days. So give yourself some love because it is the only way that you will always know you're beautiful no matter what the scale says.

Loplod
11-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I know how you feel, once you start thinking of yourself as fat or unattractive it becomes a hard cycle to break. I lost twenty pounds years ago and I've kept it off, but I still look at myself on some days and think i'm too pudgy to be wearing (insert clothing article here). I know I have to believe that I am worthy and remember how I feel about myself on the self-confident days. So give yourself some love because it is the only way that you will always know you're beautiful no matter what the scale says.

This is a great mindset, When you look in the mirror. Don't see how fat you are. See your potential.

Look the the mirror, Flex some muscles, See that they exists and work on them (For bulking, Not so much for cutting) And every time you see a change or someone asks you "Hey, did you slim down recently?" you will feel amazing.

Positive mindset = Positive results! :bigtu:

blacknekohinata
11-07-2010, 04:02 AM
I've felt this way but I just keep telling myself to just be happy I have the opportunity to cosplay and go to conventions. I hate being fat while cosplaying but I don't let it stand in my way. I just keep reminding myself that once I do loose weight the cosplay will fit better and look better but shouldn't let it stand in my way now. (sorry worded weird...5am....)

melted_snow_cap
11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I love that someone made this thread!! I haven't had the courage to cosplay in years because though I am a girl I am 6 feet tall and have broad shoulders and felt that if I made a costume it had to be someone big but now I realize that it's ok if I dress up as someone petite because it's about me having fun. I'm really happy to know that other people feel like this too
^.^

blacknekohinata
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

*facepalm*

Wow...you are really mean and kind of a bully. I'd rather be fat any day than have a personality that makes me think it is okay to be mean to other people.

And to all of you overweight cosplayers out there....be anyone you want to be. We are supposed to have fun with this. How can we have fun if we beat ourselves up for not being perfect? Life is too short!

Rosemary_red
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
It's hard to be bigger because you always have less opinions on clothing yourself and sometimes its not our fault. By no matter how great the odds, people still have willpower and with enough of it you can get to anything you set your mind to(=

x0xLindseyLovex
11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Wow...you are really mean and kind of a bully. I'd rather be fat any day than have a personality that makes me think it is okay to be mean to other people.

And to all of you overweight cosplayers out there....be anyone you want to be. We are supposed to have fun with this. How can we have fun if we beat ourselves up for not being perfect? Life is too short!

I think that post was moreso about the fact that the thread was redirected because of its posting majority even though the thread was never about weight loss, so the message to fat people was not her own, but the perceived message brought on by the forum change...or at least thats what I got from it XD

Loplod
11-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Heck, I'm ok with that sort of attitude, It was people like that who made me realize I did need to be healthy, and that excuses are just excuses to excuse yourself from something.

Sure it may sound a little harsh, But sometimes its the truth and is just what people need to get off their butts and go the extra mile to a fitter and better lifestyle

kirameki
11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I think that post was moreso about the fact that the thread was redirected because of its posting majority even though the thread was never about weight loss, so the message to fat people was not her own, but the perceived message brought on by the forum change...or at least thats what I got from it XD

That's how i read it as well.

kalasnacks
11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I completely understand! D: It sucks not feeling as if you've got the body/confidence to cosplay certain characters. Boy wouldn't I give to be able to show my midriff! D:

MewHinata
11-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I'd say keep on cosplaying if it makes you happy. For me, I don't care if a person doesn't even resemble the character they are cosplaying. As long as you tried you worked hard on it and you like it, that's the only thing that matters.

Magesticbrat01
11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
What I would like to know is why doesn't anyone make an anime/manga that doesn't include all skinny girls?? Why not make one that has bigger women in them? or black women?

However on the other hand there are people to cosplay as for those that are bigger. Some are Osono from Kiki's delivery service, Ursela from The Little Mermaid/kingdom hearts, The Fairy God Mother from Cinderella/kingdom hearts... and check this thread out http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/anime-manga-comics/are-there-any-fat-anime-characters/t.59659319/

My heart and mind go out to this thread beings as I feel the same way. I am however trying to lose weight beings as it is unhealthy for me to be the weight I am for reasons such as high blood pressure, diabetes, hard of breathing, and lack of energy. I don't have all of these yet, but I don't want them so I am making a costume that is motivating me to lose some weight. I congratulate all of you for being able to cosplay though those in anime/manga are unrealistically skinny.

Bloodredrose7
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I know how you feel darling-I'm 5"10 and a whopping 240 lbs. Tough shit for this one :P but I still try. At my annual convention this past year,I was Esther Blanchett and I had never felt more confident or accomplished in a cosplay. (Hand sewn over 4 months)
I'm not comfortable with my body in the least,but I look out for characters who will suit me anyway. With a newly acquired boyfriend and his help I'm also on my way to losing weight, slowly but surely. I certainly hope you'll be able to come to terms with your weight-cuz seriously, damn you a sexy chick ;D-because everyone needs to feel like a star in their cosplay!:bigtu:

Kuassari
11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I really know what you feel, especially when I lost all the weight, and than got them back.
I hate myself. really hate myself. I'm fat and not pretty.
and I really know what you feel, it's really depressing to feel like that, and even more when you don't wanna cosplay anymore because of this.
I can't do half of my fav characters because I don't have the body...

and if you want advice, from someone that did it and lost all the weight she needed (although I got the back), just do sports all the time.
sure diet is important and eat healthy things, but I gain back the weight because I stoped working...
and don't stop believing, really, because with the right effort, you can do whatever you want ^___^

Soku
11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I really know what you feel, especially when I lost all the weight, and than got them back.
I hate myself. really hate myself. I'm fat and not pretty.

That right there is bull honey! Regardless of not being the perfect weight you an me want to be, there no reason to hate yourself!

Plus I think you look fantastic in your Fon Master Ion cosplay, you don't look big or anything >=

Kuassari
11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
because that costume is really big XD
and you look great yourself, and you're pretty. you can change your body size, but beauty you can't (and I'm not talking about plastic surgery XD) and I'm sure many would be happy to look like you :)
just believe in yourself, and more important when you do diet is the sports, more than the food.
^_^

justinedemine
12-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi,
I think many people feel very important to play cos, especially if they are on the coast Japanese team, who are usually very small. animated characters are known to be extremely thin proportions and unrealistic, which makes it difficult for any person to comply with these standards.

Attorney_at_LOL
12-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I feel like this a lot, too, but then I realize that I'm more comfortable at the weight I am than I would be if I were so light the wind could knock me over : ) Don't worry about what people think, after all, haters gonna hate and such. Do what you want!

risamori
12-03-2010, 01:32 AM
As a point of curiosity: what do we think about people whose body shape just doesn't line up with the cosplay?

My body weight is steady and has been for years, pretty much in spite of changes in exercise and diet (okay, I vary within a 10 pound range, but when I'm 6' that's actually not that much). However, my body is naturally big--I have huge hips, basically. It's not that I'm really overweight; the fat just all goes there and refuses to leave.

The end result is that I have the wrong body shape for most cosplays, which want either thin people or big boobs. (Especially since I tend to cosplay men, which usually means thin people, and def. not curvy hips.) So far I've been ignoring this in favor of doing characters I love, since that's my reason for cosplaying, and I personally intend to keep doing that--but I'd be interested to hear what other people think on cosplaying characters that you really can't get the right shape for.

saiyamanmasenko
12-03-2010, 04:40 AM
risamori~I have pretty much never been the right shape for characters that I cosplayed. My belly sticks out further than it really should and as such keeps me from looking like most anime characters. However, I simply tell myself that I am cosplaying to have fun, so I cosplay characters I enjoy. No biggie. It is called cosPLAY for a reason. Have fun with it and enjoy yourself.

Magesticbrat01
12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
As a point of curiosity: what do we think about people whose body shape just doesn't line up with the cosplay?

My body weight is steady and has been for years, pretty much in spite of changes in exercise and diet (okay, I vary within a 10 pound range, but when I'm 6' that's actually not that much). However, my body is naturally big--I have huge hips, basically. It's not that I'm really overweight; the fat just all goes there and refuses to leave.

The end result is that I have the wrong body shape for most cosplays, which want either thin people or big boobs. (Especially since I tend to cosplay men, which usually means thin people, and def. not curvy hips.) So far I've been ignoring this in favor of doing characters I love, since that's my reason for cosplaying, and I personally intend to keep doing that--but I'd be interested to hear what other people think on cosplaying characters that you really can't get the right shape for.

The only thing that bugs me is when someone (not just cosplay) has body parts that stick out and giggle like muffin top or the bottom of a butt. When it sticks out and is just WRONG! I have no problem with people doing the cosplay, but please for your sake and mine, make it to fit your body type, and not something to squeeze into!!! i.e. http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bad_cosplay_2.jpg (granted I know this is a guy, but still wrong!)

risamori
12-05-2010, 12:02 AM
i.e. http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bad_cosplay_2.jpg (granted I know this is a guy, but still wrong!)

I actually don't think he looks bad--he's got an air of confidence that makes it work. (Plus, it's not exactly nice to use a picture of a random stranger as an example of your opinion of fail...>.> I'll shut up now.) But seriously? So he doesn't have rock hard abs. I'm honestly not sure how those straps would stay up if they weren't tight, and he looks like he's having fun--why begrudge him that? ^^

PolishPu
12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
What I would like to know is why doesn't anyone make an anime/manga that doesn't include all skinny girls?? Why not make one that has bigger women in them? or black women?

There are a couple. Take Real Drive. The girls in that show are adorable and chubby:
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/character.php?id=11109
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/character.php?id=11107
Opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEA7IbQdyQ

I'd provide more characters but I'm on the computer at work right now. I can provide more later if anyone wants them?

As for black people, there are plenty and I have a BIG list of what I want to do. x3

Magesticbrat01
01-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I actually don't think he looks bad--he's got an air of confidence that makes it work. (Plus, it's not exactly nice to use a picture of a random stranger as an example of your opinion of fail...>.> I'll shut up now.) But seriously? So he doesn't have rock hard abs. I'm honestly not sure how those straps would stay up if they weren't tight, and he looks like he's having fun--why begrudge him that? ^^

I was using that picture as an example, not to put him specifically down. I was more using it to show lack of fitting clothes, that things would look better if they were the correct size. Again, wasn't posting the pic to specifically put down the guy-I actually have no problem with cross dressing. I'm sorry to offend you.

tabbykat
01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
This is more of a rant to a recent frustration I'm having. I have many cosplay ideas that I would really love to do, but then all of a sudden I get this thought in my head that I'm to fat to cosplay those characters, so I try and find a another one, rinse and repeat.

Sadly I know the feeling :( The worse thing is that I'm BOTH short AND stocky :(

I really love the character I'm currently cosplaying... but my size, height and body type only really hit me when I started seeing pictures of myself in the outfit :(

This sorta made me go on some kind of get-fit program.... I can't do diets and I have tried them, but I never lost any weight. I'm currently trying to do the sensible thing, learning good eating habits, staying away from foods that put on unnecessarily pounds... and of course, doing workouts and taking up some physical activities that I enjoy.

I thought at first that it might work.... But I didn't really lose the pounds....or get that much skinnier... :P

Well, I did however manage to slowly reduce the curvature of my tummy, increase upper body strength and general agility.... now I can do things I have never been able to do before.. and I'm sometimes amazed how far I can stretch or tumble....

but... I'm still considered a pretty stocky.. even fat person in my country.... (my country is full of gals who are stick-thin)..... :( I was recently told that I don't really look much like the character I cosplay, thanks to my general body-type....:(

However, I counter it by saying.... I can actually do some of the stuff that my cosplay character does.... can you??? :D

HomeDepot
01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
@Tabbycat
"I counter it by saying.... I can actually do some of the stuff that my cosplay character does.... can you???"

I love this response. You are brilliant.

PhantomFoxx
01-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I feel like this on a daily basis XD;; I have TONS of cosplays I want to do. And honestly. I look at them and I think, "Oh hey, I can pull that off!" and then I look at the details and realize, "oh maybe that skirt is too short..." or "sleeveless? I can't pull that off..." or even "God why does that costume have to show her stomach!?" and it's an incredibly frustrating process!

And sometimes, I'll wear a cosplay, and I'll feel sexy, or I'll feel pretty, but then I look at myself in a mirror or a photo while in that cosplay and then I notice how incredibly unattractive I am! And it's really disheartening. And it's frustrating to pull out an old cosplay (That I felt fat in when I was wearing the cosplay) and realize that it no longer even fits!!

Diets and exercises are frustrating at times too and it's hard to stick with them, especially since I'm the kind of person who wants instant pay off (Which, with any HEALTHY diet/exercise) doesn't happen xD Plus most of the time, they're just work and not fun. Or diets cut out all the yummy stuff in favor of things I don't really like, or are way strict.

Also, most people say cosplay is just about having fun (and yes, that is something I agree with) but even with that, a good percentage of people out there who I've seen look at cosplayers who maybe aren't the perfect weight for their cosplay and then make fun of them. And after seeing that, it makes me nervous to try something maybe that's a little out of my limits.

It also doesn't help that I'm in a cosplay group full of other girls who are very thin and pretty xD;;

Wow long post is long XD;

Magesticbrat01
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I feel like this on a daily basis XD;; I have TONS of cosplays I want to do. And honestly. I look at them and I think, "Oh hey, I can pull that off!" and then I look at the details and realize, "oh maybe that skirt is too short..." or "sleeveless? I can't pull that off..." or even "God why does that costume have to show her stomach!?" and it's an incredibly frustrating process!

And sometimes, I'll wear a cosplay, and I'll feel sexy, or I'll feel pretty, but then I look at myself in a mirror or a photo while in that cosplay and then I notice how incredibly unattractive I am! And it's really disheartening. And it's frustrating to pull out an old cosplay (That I felt fat in when I was wearing the cosplay) and realize that it no longer even fits!!

Diets and exercises are frustrating at times too and it's hard to stick with them, especially since I'm the kind of person who wants instant pay off (Which, with any HEALTHY diet/exercise) doesn't happen xD Plus most of the time, they're just work and not fun. Or diets cut out all the yummy stuff in favor of things I don't really like, or are way strict.

Also, most people say cosplay is just about having fun (and yes, that is something I agree with) but even with that, a good percentage of people out there who I've seen look at cosplayers who maybe aren't the perfect weight for their cosplay and then make fun of them. And after seeing that, it makes me nervous to try something maybe that's a little out of my limits.

It also doesn't help that I'm in a cosplay group full of other girls who are very thin and pretty xD;;

I know how you feel! I am really nervous with the costume I am doing because the skirt is shorter in front than in back and I have stretch marks on my legs. Not to mention that my thighs are really big that if I don't wear spandex shorts under my skirts they will rub and chafe. :( (Wow, I can't believe I actually shared that...). Anyways well I'm going to do my best and pull this thing off to make it work for my body type, and if I so happen to lose weight on the way, Yay Me! I found a protein shake that is a meal replacement shake and I have heard nothing but great reviews about it. It's called lean shake, and it is really good. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2174906 Another one is by Optimum Nutrition.

I hate when I am one of the only girls around who isn't a size 5 or 8, and it makes me feel really self cautious. But I'm not going to let something like that ruin my day. :D

elfhybrid
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Now I haven't dared cosplaying yet..
Mainly because I'm shy, and I weigh a lot. 146kilos. (approx 300 in american measurethings)
I have seen a LOT of fat-bashing during the years I've been into this (I'm 26 now) and during my years of being bullied..and I don't really want to expose myself to that again.

Now; I really want to cosplay,but I need to find a big chara. So I defo know that feeling..

BraveKnight
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
If you're comfortable with who you are then don't let the bully bashers get to you. If you want to change your image though there are plenty of great people on this site with loads of information who can be very supportive of your goals! I didn't want to cosplay because I had been idolizing these characters I've come to love and wanted to dress like them AND do them justice. There are several talented people on this site who don't fit the build of their character though and still enjoy this great hobby. That is just my two cents anyway. =)

Magesticbrat01
12-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Now I haven't dared cosplaying yet..
Mainly because I'm shy, and I weigh a lot. 146kilos. (approx 300 in american measurethings)
I have seen a LOT of fat-bashing during the years I've been into this (I'm 26 now) and during my years of being bullied..and I don't really want to expose myself to that again.

Now; I really want to cosplay,but I need to find a big chara. So I defo know that feeling..

Big characters I have seen that are fun:
Osono from kiki's delivery service http://www.nausicaa.net/~lgreenf/osono.jpg

Ursula from the little mermaid http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/4/45/Ursula_KH.jpg

See this thread http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82227:bigtu:

CorporatePuppet
04-02-2012, 02:58 AM
I weigh 70 kg , am 5'5'' and have a muffin top, and I still cosplay cos it makes me happy. I don't care what other people think because most of the people who diss bigger cosplayer's wouldn't even have the balls to cosplay in the first place. cosplaying takes ball!

also there is nothing wrong with cosplaying if your not 'Anime' correct. for example I went to a con as chii and that costume showed my arms and it was the first time i'd ever showed my arms cos i don't personally like showing my arms cos there like flabby and stuff. I got lots of pictures and compliments. there was also a another chii (freya) cosplayer there and she was heeeepppzzz skinny. I took a picture with her and stuff. A number of people said that they prefered mine cosplay outfit over her's. and I'm thinking ''but she's skinny and I'm fat, how does that work?''. Anyway to hear a comment like that made my day.

so I reckon that anyone can cosplay as whoever they want. and no one has the right to say otherwise. and besides your cosplays look AWESOME! I particularly like the Syaoran cosplay :L

-(little rant)-
there is so much negativity about bigger cosplayers,like damn.why doesn't anyone say good things about bigger cosplayers on websites, it's all bad stuff like ''why did they even try'' or ''such a fail'' or '' too fat for that'' Gwrd! i h8 it! D:< it's like they slagg cosplayer's off to get a giggle out of them, they don't consider on how that cosplayer would feel or focus on the costume or anything!!! Geeezzz!

Over9000images
04-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Hey Phantom, first off, just have fun, and accept who you are. Like you said, you don't "feel" sexy. Well, there's the only problem! Feel sexy and voila! Stop worrying about what anyone else thinks and just go have fun for yourself!

Cosplay isn't called "everyone else decides whether my cosplay is valid or not" otherwise sailor bubba would have never come to exist. I'm sure he loved it.

Worry about what makes you happy for your cosplays. Hell, mix it up with some really wierd combos, maybe a female lupin, or any of the characters from death note. I'm sure you could find some thing that's both fun for you, and makes you proud of the costume you made.

Good luck! (not that you'll need it or anything, because you're clearly a badass by posting it here) :D

P.S. People who matter won't mind, and the people who mind won't matter ;P.

Over9000images
04-02-2012, 06:13 AM
-(little rant)-
there is so much negativity about bigger cosplayers,like damn.why doesn't anyone say good things about bigger cosplayers on websites, it's all bad stuff like ''why did they even try'' or ''such a fail'' or '' too fat for that'' Gwrd! i h8 it! D:< it's like they slagg cosplayer's off to get a giggle out of them, they don't consider on how that cosplayer would feel or focus on the costume or anything!!! Geeezzz!

Well... it's not like they could even make a halfway decent cosplay as yours when they see it, so of course the only thing they can relate to for not feeling like a terrible human being is tearing other people down.

That is the fallacy of a weak psyche, unfortunately :/.

Over9000images
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
This is more of a rant to a recent frustration I'm having. I have many cosplay ideas that I would really love to do, but then all of a sudden I get this thought in my head that I'm to fat to cosplay those characters, so I try and find a another one, rinse and repeat. This is driving me insane, I've gone on a strict diet ( not for cosplaying) so I can lose weight, and even though it is working, Gahhh why can't I just be happy!

I'm not looking for comments or anything, just wondering if anyone else feels or has felt the same way, and what you did to get over it =)

I meant to reply to your post first, but I failed. Bleh, early morning posts ftl.

1. Cosplay is about *YOUR* enjoyment.

2. If you like that character, cosplay as them, and make it look badass, end of story.

Personally, I think it's way more badass if you are percieved by other people as overweight, but you don't give a flying fartacus and cosplay whoever you like anyway. It's so much better than people who just do it because it's easier for them. Heck I've met deathly skinny people cosplaying larger characers, I really don't think it should have such an incredible stigma attached to it.

Go do it Soku. And own it.

I feel like the fattest person around (sometimes- depends how many cheetos I ate the night before :P). Just care less what others think of your body, and cosplay for your own enjoyment, then everyone wins. Those who matter won't mind and those that mind won't matter, eh? :D

MisakiPhantom84
04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Um... *raises hand* Ditto? lol. It's stupid commercialization where everyone has to be toothpick size to feel good. I hate it >.< I myself started dieting and exercising this month (and yes, cosplaying is my motivation, I am guilty). I don't want to be Nicole Richie size, I just want to be... healthy. And I don't feel healthy, which bothers me. I think if I felt healthy I would be happy with how I looked in costumes, even if I wasn't a size -2 like the characters.

Same here.. I'm starting a diet this Friday and doing my research now.. but and yes.. my parents have been bugging me for a long time that I needa loose weight, but I could never find the motivation.. lol but cosplaying is the motivation I got recently... but I really would like to start cosplaying and Im not letting the 191 lbs get in the way >=D

fancyboy
04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
for losing weight, i have no idea. buy i want to say no matter fat or thin, you should happy everyday. there are many people (friends and relatives) care for you, they love you and want you happy

Tamouri
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
It's a day to day thing with me. Sometimes I have my "fat days" where I feel like a cow and spend my afternoon glaring balefully at my overly fleshy bits, but sometimes I feel like a fucking rock star and I walk around my house half naked. As of late, I've just been getting more and more comfortable with myself and the fat days have only been happening during that time of the month. I pretty much fell in love with myself and am slowly accepting that I'm not perfect, but what I have is pretty damn close, in my book! :D

Rurouni-Idoru
04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Might I direct anyone who is feeling this way to Chubby Cosplay (http://chubbycosplay.tumblr.com/)? Every cosplayer on this website is 100% completely amazing, and none of them are anime-skinny. It's really inspiring, no matter what your size is.

Neelh
04-11-2012, 02:54 AM
I feel fat sometimes. Especially recently.

I usually have a tiny waist, but I'm starting to see flab on it.

I blame Easter.

And the Vocaloid dances don't tire me out anymore.

Lithium Flower
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I never look at an animated character and judge their bodies as being realistically obtainable-as the vast majority of the time it simply isn't. If my goal was to actually have the body proportions of the character I want to cosplay I wouldn't have ribs.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x106/Quistis-Langley/One%20Piece/Nami%20Costume/Nami%20Manga/nnn.jpg

Seriously, it would be impossible for me to have internal organs. The artist draw's almost all of his women in the same insanely curved style:
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12800000/Vivi-one-piece-12882875-1024-768.jpg

The difference between them, and us is we are real people with functioning digestive systems and rib cages and everything! For us to look at a two dimensional image and strive to become that is unhealthy both mentally and physically. It's the same thing when you open a magazine and see every single person photoshopped into a sad farce of a human being, that isn't reality and it's no more true to the human form then those pictures up there.

MLHawke
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Personally, I think it's way more badass if you are percieved by other people as overweight, but you don't give a flying fartacus and cosplay whoever you like anyway. It's so much better than people who just do it because it's easier for them.

:wave:

I want to thank you for posting this. This has totally given me the courage to go with the next cosplay I wanted to do, but didn't think I could pull off because of my weight.

Do I plan to try to lose weight between now and then? Absolutely, but now I think it would be way awesome just to go for it.

OtakuMusician
04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm actually hosting a panel at the Spokane convention "KuroNekoCon" in August based on cosplaying for bigger people. Instead of diet and exercise, it'll talk about certain fashion's that can slim you and different characters to try out, do's and don'ts, etc. You should come check it out!

Lithium Flower
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm actually hosting a panel at the Spokane convention "KuroNekoCon" in August based on cosplaying for bigger people. Instead of diet and exercise, it'll talk about certain fashion's that can slim you and different characters to try out, do's and don'ts, etc. You should come check it out!

What about for fat people who don't want to look slimmer? Or are fine the way they are and have no desire to be told that they shouldn't cosplay particular characters? It is completely possible to be fat and have no desire to be skinny or to look 'slim'. Nor should anyone be in a place to tell someone they have "do's" or "don'ts" because of their weight.

I would be much more interested and pleasantly surprised if you described a panel that was reaching out to overweight cosplayers and giving them the support and encouragement they deserve as beautiful people.

OtakuMusician
04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
What about for fat people who don't want to look slimmer? Or are fine the way they are and have no desire to be told that they shouldn't cosplay particular characters? It is completely possible to be fat and have no desire to be skinny or to look 'slim'. Nor should anyone be in a place to tell someone they have "do's" or "don'ts" because of their weight.

I would be much more interested and pleasantly surprised if you described a panel that was reaching out to overweight cosplayers and giving them the support and encouragement they deserve as beautiful people.

I never said I was going to tell them that they shouldn't cosplay particular characters. Nor did I say that I was going to base this panel completely on those who would like to cosplay characters who flatter their weight. I was giving off some examples as to what I'm going to talk about, for those who WOULD like to look slim for future cosplays, because be honest, they're out there.

I can't tell folks to lose weight; being a 260lb person, I think it'd be a rather hypocritical move. As said before, I was merely giving examples of what I was going to talk about. I haven't finished my timed outline, yet.

The_Killer_Hare
04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't have a 6-pack, I have a keg and I think that's better. I'm of viking stock, my body is tall, stocky, muscular and I would look weird as hell if I dropped to say 240 pounds. Some people would say I look ugly, but that's because they're blind. I'm a big, studly man, hairy as a bear and just as stubborn. I love the ladies that are a bit overweight and muscley because I know they're not going to shatter when I pat them on the shoulder.

Ladies, remember, you ARE beautiful. So says the Killer Hare, and if someone insults you, they don't know their arse from their elbow. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Sushicatt
04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Aw, I can totally understand your feelings, even when I'm not FAT, I feel that I'm not skinny nor pretty enough to cosplay, I feel like I'll ruin any existing character if I cosplay it XD also I have kinda tanned skin and this just makes it worst, since most characters are pale ;___;

I wish one day I can get over it, but it's quite hard :(

GelaMin
04-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I always feel this way! Especially because all of my friends are skinny. That is why I am losing weight. To be healthy and feel better about myself! You are not alone though! But always remember, cosplay is about the love of the character that you are cosplaying, don't think that is the most important reason to lose weight, even though it is a perk! Also remember that Marilyn Monroe was one of the most beautiful women in the world and she was like a size 12 I think. Don't get toothpick thin, curves are beautiful. All bodies are built different so you might be at your healthy weight and still be curvy and that is ok! And if you are happy at a bigger size than that is awesome! As long as you are happy! No one should be told they are too fat to cosplay anything! :heart:

kirameki
04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm a little tall and a little overweight for my height and I have so many body issues now that I never had when I was skinny. It's so frustrating. Even on days I think I look nice I'll see a picture of my thick arms or large thighs and just get depressed. It doesn't help that most of my friends are small and petite so when we do lolita or cosplay together I feel even bigger. :rolleyes:

I'm working hard to get over this self consciousness and trying my best to get healthy. Cosplay has definitely helped me out. I always feel surprised and flattered when people ask for my picture. I have even decided to cosplay a cute petite character and to hell what anyone else thinks. :)

Miruku-no-Aisu
04-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't really care about what other people think. It's more like... I'm worried that I'd ruin the character I love so much... ;_;

DiaStar791
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm with you on that one. I'm a plus size girl and there really aren't that many cosplays that can accommodate a bigger girl. I'm afraid that the character that i look up to will be ruined in my eyes. But i'm learning to get over that. I just recently cosplayed as Hatsune Miku from Vocaloid. I have honestly got to say, acting like a skinny singer made me feel like one!!! :cool:

But i've always had a hard time losing weight because my body doesn't take in the nutrients like its supposed to. Does anyone have any advice?

SRHtheHedgehog
05-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I did a Devil Zukin from DDR cosplay a few months back (not up on the site; too lazy to post it lol), and her midriff is exposed. I still don't really have the midriff for something like that, and I most certainly didn't when I did the cosplay. It was honestly just a peek, which is the only reason I decided to do it anyway, but it was still scary to have that little pudge be the thing to peek out of it. Once I got the cosplay on and wore it around the convention, however, there were a large number of people that ended up taking my picture. DDR isn't very popular, so I asked most of them if they recognized me. Only about three out of the 20 or so actually recognized my character. That means they loved my cosplay enough that they wanted my picture, regardless of my figure or even character recognition. It's all about the costume fitting properly and the skill of the cosplayer, I've come to conclude. Although those wings were pretty great, so that might have been it. xD

aspiekid0101
05-18-2012, 06:41 AM
I feel the exact same way right now. Even though I've lost a stone and a half, spent the last 8 months exercising and eating better food (I'm even doing WeightWatchers with my parents now, though eating the right stuff has always been hard for me because I'm hypoglycemic), my body looks alright, apart from my grotesquely large thighs (got this horrible feeling that people are gonna call me "Thor, God of Thunder Thighs" next week). My mum keeps telling me I shouldn't worry about it too much and I'll look fine, but it's just one of those things that bums me out constantly.

Cosplayer5Ever
07-20-2012, 08:59 PM
What diet are you on >.< ? I feel the same way so id like to give a diet that WORKS a try ^^

Katieasaur
07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
I have been a big girl since elementary school, I'm almost 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs, and while I find it annoying as hell being fat, I embrace it still. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to be thin, but I destroyed myself during high school over the fact I was a small chick. Best thing I ever did was get on stage in a bra and booty shorts, and tell the world idgaf what they think. I'm going to do what makes me happy, and if being 6ft tall, 200lb Ciel Phantomhive is what does that, then I am sure as hell going to do it. Don't care what the 'others' think, do what make YOU feel good.

Tsukasa Hiiragi
07-27-2012, 01:05 AM
I feel the same way, I'm 5"10 and 200lbs and I'm doing myself to shed some excess weight so far, it seems a very slow process.

Drazhar
07-27-2012, 01:10 AM
I remember feeling I was too fat... then I realized "Screw that! I'm having fun in costume"

and I found cosplays that hid my bulk to some extent. Lots of blacks and robes and the like.

Now I'm bustin myself to slim down.

Fish-and-Chips-Yum
07-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I do avoid certain costumes because I'm obese (not to mention I'm short, so it's like a double whammy >.>). Right now I'm on a diet and am exercising daily, but not because of cosplay. Honestly, if being overweight didn't come with health risks, I would not give a damn. I still would avoid certain characters, but I wouldn't try to lose weight. I'm on a diet for my health, not for other people to accept me. It makes me sad when people who aren't even that overweight go on diets and feverishly exercise just because they want to cosplay a character without being made fun of.

Rangiku12
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I feel this way sometimes since I will be big forever but I just think to my self that I am not cosplaying for anyone's favor..I am doing it to show my love for the anime/video game I love so much. Sometimes I have no fear! I want to do a Jade from Mortal Kombat cosplay but I clearly dont have the right size stomach and hips to do so but I dont care I love her so i will wear her outfit for her..no one else..for the love.

choxie-chan
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Same here. I didn't have confidence of doing cosplay back in high school because not only I didn't know how to do so but also of my weight and body type. I wasn't physically active almost at all. Until this year since lots of things came out since college, I began to change my eating habits and physical activity, so I started going to the gym in January this year especially taking a swimming class at college. I have lost almost 10 lbs :O (which surprised me) and have noticed changes, so I've awarded myself with buying cosplay.

Speaking of which, I still do feel fat to cosplay certain characters that I have like Reimu, Sakuya, and Remilia.

You're all beautiful in every shape guys! <3

amanokawa_osa
08-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Well, actually I'm dieting for purpose :D There are many characters i want to cosplay. For now, i limit the characters I can cosplay to chibi char only because they're pretty chubby and it's fit my image. As long as we can find the right character, we still can cosplay I guess. I do understand the feeling of being ashamed to ourselves due to our weight. But while we do something about it (by training, exercising, etc) we still have a chance to cosplay a certain character that the slim cosplayer can't do :D.

Mintpuff
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
I feel this way sometimes since I will be big forever but I just think to my self that I am not cosplaying for anyone's favor..I am doing it to show my love for the anime/video game I love so much. Sometimes I have no fear! I want to do a Jade from Mortal Kombat cosplay but I clearly dont have the right size stomach and hips to do so but I dont care I love her so i will wear her outfit for her..no one else..for the love.

Are you me? I'd love to do a cosplay of one of the ladies form Mortal Kombat and Jade is my favorite, she's so gorgeous. Sadly, I'm covered in stretch marks and I'm not slim enough to believe I could pull it off. I just have no self confidence at all, plus I'm probably too young for it. But, I'm sure you would rock her costume! :)

Cosplaying definitely isn't for anyone else, it's for you, I love how you think. It's so optimistic.

I think I might cosplay Frost or Ashrah as my MK girl next year.. leaning towards Frost, though. Gotta love her outfit. :P

ktcaines
08-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Are you me? I'd love to do a cosplay of one of the ladies form Mortal Kombat and Jade is my favorite, she's so gorgeous. Sadly, I'm covered in stretch marks and I'm not slim enough to believe I could pull it off. I just have no self confidence at all, plus I'm probably too young for it. But, I'm sure you would rock her costume! :)

Cosplaying definitely isn't for anyone else, it's for you, I love how you think. It's so optimistic.

I think I might cosplay Frost or Ashrah as my MK girl next year.. leaning towards Frost, though. Gotta love her outfit. :P

I've always wanted to dress up as Sonya in her vs. DC universe outfit, or Maleena. But I can't pull off showing the waist line :(

I'm even having second thoughts about the costume I'm making for a con later this month. I have to wear a body suit for Storms white outfit and I think I should wait til I lose some more weight. I've at least started working out again. We'll see what happens.

UchinaaSoba
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I can relate to you in the sense of being unhealthy. In my life I've never weighed any more than 125lbs, and my friends and family always joke around saying when I turn sideways I disappear (it gets old). It's sad to say, but I need to gain weight. Also need to exercise to build muscle. Yeah, there are cosplays I can do because I'm "thin", but there are a few I'd like to have more weight and build for (to be honest, I really don't know how to gain properly). No one wants to be at either end of the spectrum, really. We want to be healthy, which is good. :)

I really dislike it when people at cons say someone is too "heavy" to cosplay as a character. As long as they're trying and having fun, that's what counts.

Rangiku12
08-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I've always wanted to dress up as Sonya in her vs. DC universe outfit, or Maleena. But I can't pull off showing the waist line :(

I'm even having second thoughts about the costume I'm making for a con later this month. I have to wear a body suit for Storms white outfit and I think I should wait til I lose some more weight. I've at least started working out again. We'll see what happens.If Me being 230+lbs can find the courage to plan a MK Jade costume or even a Bunnysuit. I know you two can pull off Frost and Sonya! ^__^ I'm pushing the fear back and I ain't letting no one stop it since the only one who can is myself.

ktcaines
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
If Me being 230+lbs can find the courage to plan a MK Jade costume or even a Bunnysuit. I know you two can pull off Frost and Sonya! ^__^ I'm pushing the fear back and I ain't letting no one stop it since the only one who can is myself.

I admire you for being able to do that. Gaining that confidence to feel comfortable in those outfits is something I'm trying to work on. Its hard to change your way of thinking.

~Shana~
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I have no confidence at all! >.< I'm very short (5 feet tall) And I should be like 30 pounds less than I am now. I've lost 7 pounds this summer so far but I feel like I couldn't pull off my Scarlet Rain or Silica cosplay. I want to have more confidence and cosplay them no matter what size I am.
I also have a weird neck it's much fatter than it should be because of hereditary it like attached to my chin! D:

Mintpuff
08-06-2012, 07:53 PM
If Me being 230+lbs can find the courage to plan a MK Jade costume or even a Bunnysuit. I know you two can pull off Frost and Sonya! ^__^ I'm pushing the fear back and I ain't letting no one stop it since the only one who can is myself.

That's beautiful and inspiring. :) I'm sure you're absolutely rock the costume!

And thank you! I think I will try a cosplay of Frost next year. :)

ladysuki1289
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
This might sound a little risque but....

A great way to get in shape AND gain a MASSIVE amount of confidence... Is to take a pole dancing for fitness class. Now, I'm not saying go and be a stripper, but these classes create major upper body strenght (you have to support your ENTIRE body with just your arms), they tone your arms and legs (think of all the twists and turns) and the best thing is, ITS FUN! And ANYONE can do it. I'm actually going to start taking classes in September and the studio I'm going to also teaches Burlesque, this cardio mix of dancing and ballet called Ballet Barre and lots of other stuff.

Ladies, these classes will help you not only feel good physically(you'll be working out and stuff), they also make you feel good confidence-wise.

Between that and DDR, I plan on getting super toned and even more lovely (hehe) by New Years.

Also, always remember, the best way to lose weight is NOT by starving yourself or cutting your calories, it's by exersicing enough to balance out how much your eating. You HAVE to eat, when you cut out foods, you're body starts storing more and you won't lose anything. I'm 5'2" at 150 lbs and I was down to 140 but I was ALWAYS hungry, so I decided to stop cutting my calories. Since then, I've gained the 10 lbs back, but I don't feel as hungry anymore and I'm just waiting to move before I start the new regimine.

And always remember, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! If you want to change, do it for YOU and no one else!! ....And that's the end of my infomercial, lol, ^__^

UchinaaSoba
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
This might sound a little risque but....

A great way to get in shape AND gain a MASSIVE amount of confidence... Is to take a pole dancing for fitness class. Now, I'm not saying go and be a stripper, but these classes create major upper body strenght (you have to support your ENTIRE body with just your arms), they tone your arms and legs (think of all the twists and turns) and the best thing is, ITS FUN! And ANYONE can do it. I'm actually going to start taking classes in September and the studio I'm going to also teaches Burlesque, this cardio mix of dancing and ballet called Ballet Barre and lots of other stuff.

Ladies, these classes will help you not only feel good physically(you'll be working out and stuff), they also make you feel good confidence-wise.

I have heard many a good things about those classes (as you stated). Sadly, I don't believe there are any where I live. ^.^'

KellyAlucard230
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
It's not right to talk down about yourself Soku! I mean everyone has rights to do such but it only makes you feel crummier, I know it made me. I feel like i'm also to fat to cosplay anything really, but I think if its a loose costume like say, a large jacket, or sort of a big outfit over all no one will even notice! I weight 140 lbs and the fat is mostly at my lower stomach which my mom calls. "Baby fat." I kind of laugh when she says that but anyway. I hope you feel better about yourself in the future!

spiritualizes
08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Ah, well, it's hard to not feel this way sometimes - I'm pretty comfortable with my body but it doesn't mean I'm satisfied, I'm dieting and starting my workout regime so I can lose weight in this next year for cosplay, and in general as well.

I think, it's about choosing which cosplays you want to do and slowly becoming more comfortable with your body so that you don't feel hindered by any expectation to be "super-skinny" for a costume, it's more about staying healthy and confident while having fun cosplaying!

San the Red Fox
08-18-2012, 01:33 AM
i've felt the same way, I really have. But not that long ago i answered my own question as to why i treat myself so badly. And everyone's answer to that question can vary. Not only that, but also what triggered that thought into your own subconscious. For me, it was due to constant ridicule since childhood. From abusive adults, fellow students bullying you, to EVEN family treating you harshly.
The only reason why I don't treat myself so bad anymore is because someone very dear to me constantly reminds me that I don't look as bad as I originally thought. So the questions to ask yourself are: "How high is my self-esteem?", "What moment in time made me feel this way about myself?","Was I bullied?"

Smochi
08-18-2012, 02:17 AM
I feel like this ALL the time. Anime isn't very forgiving to bigger people, and sometimes I just sit down and cry after finishing a cosplay because I put all of this work into a garment only to have it look bad because of the person wearing it.

But rarely do I let people know that. I go to the con and fake a smile, and guess what? People are surprisingly nice! I get few jokes but then again we all do. When I think back about when I'm happiest, it's when I'm at cons. In my cosplay! So I try to remember that when making future stuff. I'm trying to lose weight, but I ought not let it control my happiness in the meantime.

RukiaBunnyPyon
08-18-2012, 02:49 AM
I know exactly how you feel. Aside from being overweight I am either always on crutches or in a wheelchair so exercising isn't much of a help. I am super self conscious when I try to cosplay or even when ordering cosplay...I have yet to have anyone make fun of me (to my face) because of my weight or crutches and generally people at cons are pretty nice to me. I have found, though, despite it all if you can find a character you properly connect with as well as what clothes/costume designs accent your curves then it actually can boost your confidence.

At the last con I went to in July I cosplayed Edward Elric (I am 5 foot tall) and it was actually quite a hit because alot of people joked with me about my automail not working and that was why I was on crutches. You just have to find the right characters, I promise.

Melancholy Wish
10-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not even fat and I still feel this way.

sayaka magica
11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Listen, I have even worse problems.
I'm dark-skinned, a muslim girl w/ parents who are against anime, and I have very limited choices for who I can cosplay.
Like Miyuki Takara (Lucky Star) and Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica).
Don't let your weight get in the way of your cosplay!
You're the lucky one. ;)

peacelovepandas
11-25-2013, 04:31 PM
I see all kinda of people discouraged from cosplay because of their weight, and it makes me feel bad, because I've been 5'3" and 110 pounds all my life, so I never really had the problem of being overweight. I always had the "You're not as pretty as ______" or "You wouldn't look good cosplaying _______". But I see it in the same light as cosplaying with glasse, which is something i do- You don't need to be stick figure thin to cosplay who you want. Anime characters are almost always patetically thin, but you don't have to be to look downright awesome. Same as you can cosplay characters that don't normally wear glasses, with glasses- and still look awesome. So fit like your body shape discourage you an unless it is threatening your health, don't try to chane who you are, because some divine being made you that way with a purpose in mind :3

peacelovepandas
11-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Listen, I have even worse problems.
I'm dark-skinned, a muslim girl w/ parents who are against anime, and I have very limited choices for who I can cosplay.
Like Miyuki Takara (Lucky Star) and Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica).
Don't let your weight get in the way of your cosplay!
You're the lucky one. ;)

I'm a Native American Christian girl who got all but disowned from her family for cosplaying, so you and I are in the same boat. But weight, religion and skin color should all be put aside because none of that matters- in the end, we are all just nerds in costume. It's a shame that television is trying to make it so much more than that...

sayaka magica
11-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Aww! :( Then I guess you're right. Are you Kyouko Sakura in your forum avatar?

Nova417
11-29-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm overweight, according to my doctor. I weight about 167.0lbs (since I just weighed myself twenty minutes ago). However, in my defense, I'm not sure my doctor really files in my total muscle mass. I mean.. I've been walking at least two to six miles a day, for the past four or five years. So, I have no fat whatsoever on my thighs or calves. Muscle weighs more than fat, right? I'm pretty sure it does.. But sue me if I'm incorrect.

Relating back to this post, I have to admit I'm usually okko with my weight and overall appearance. Until I get to the actual convention. Then I usually see other people cosplaying my character, and I get self-conscious. Usually I just hide behind KAITO and wait until they leave so I can assure myself that I'm fine.

I mean, I get compliments a lot. (This is all based on when I'm cosplaying my main character Kagamine Len) People say, "Oh, you're absolutely adorable!" or "Hey! Can I get a picture with you Nova?". So, I think my whole issue with myself is me. I put myself down way too much, and unless people are lying to me, I'm a pretty attractive person-

I'm sure we all just feel this way because it's normal.. Just like jealousy, right?

RebelGrrl
12-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I am medically obese, but over the last few years I've started to get a better view of myself and my body. I still don't love how I look all the time, but I've gotten better and cosplay has been a part of that, along with playing roller derby.

When I'm in costume I'm not thinking as much about how I look, how people can see my bare arms, I just have fun.

Not always perfect, unfortunately. I recently discarded cosplaying as the Scarlet Witch because of how certain parts of it clung to my legs and hips.

I do have to choose carefully and sometimes, yeah, it seems like there's no character I like that can be done well in my size, but I still want to try.

Kingin
12-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Man guess I'm not alone with my self confidence Olin my body. For me I'm 6'1"ish and weigh like 215 to 220 pounds. Most to all my friends near me are lean or workout tons and have big muscle. I have muscle but its hard a hell to get slimmer. I have wide body broad shoulders and such. A friend told me I should cosplay as cloud and I was like if only I was leaner n muscler
I hate society saying ya gotta be this thin to be attractive its wrong. But hey least I know I'm not alone right.

BlindJustice
12-28-2013, 04:40 AM
get it outta your head! you can do anything. you don't need a diet or a cosplay that fits your body type, you just need to be creative and have FUUuuuUUUUuuUUUUUn!