PDA

View Full Version : Allen Walker coat 1 HELP

Tsuki Kurosaki
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
*if this is the wrong area feel free to delete*
ok so i am working on an allen cosplay that i would like to finish before Halloween but that might not happen but other wise, i have about a 30$ budget and as i said in the title i want the first one, i have the matrix pattern that i've seen most people use but i was wondering about what type of material and like how to do the white detailing and also adding the hood O.o help would be apriciated :D thanks

tsuoi_kaze
10-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Material: Twill. For serious. Mid to heavy weight is best. But bring coupons because if you're on a tight budget you'll need it.

White detailing: I fully admit to cheating and using pre-made bias tape for all kinds of costume details and Allen's first uniform was no exception. I also recommend buying about half a yard of white twill for the sleeve cuffs and upper back panel-->(which I suppose is optional since it really only shows up in the manga and even then it's not always apparent....I think it looks better).
I used matte vinyl for the shoulder pieces because I was torn between using plain fabric and making it like armor. But with your budget and limited time (I had to order the stuff online) I wouldn't recommend it. Just buying a bit more of the white twill I suggested above would be just fine. You'll probably want to stitch them on BEFORE attaching the sleeves so you get a cleaner look.

Hood:
I just traced over an old jacket, and left enough room for seam allowance to make the hood itself. As for attaching it to the coat I cut the area where the collar would normally be attached to fit the length of my hood and sewed it on. *shrugs*

Tsuki Kurosaki
10-15-2010, 09:47 PM
thanks so very much!

euterpe42
10-16-2010, 08:15 AM
What I used for my Kanda uniform 1 coat trim (on the shoulders and wrists) that worked very well was nylon. It ends up looking very sharp and crisp, but I got it at $7 a yard, which, depending on your budget, might be too expensive.

A warning for working on first uniform coats with a budget--buttons are very expensive! Even if you don't get accurate replicas of the coat buttons, big silver buttons are not cheap.

tsuoi_kaze
10-16-2010, 04:33 PM
A warning for working on first uniform coats with a budget--buttons are very expensive! Even if you don't get accurate replicas of the coat buttons, big silver buttons are not cheap.

This is true. I had to commission my buttons for first uniform and back then I was getting a steal at $3 per button because the official ones were $15 for a set of two. I'm working on Crown Clown second uniform now and only needed one button. I found the official set of two now goes for $4-$5 plus shipping. Which is a lot better than it was a few years ago, and perfectly alright for me because I only needed one. But for Allen's first coat you need seven buttons (plus five round metal bits that aren't the decorative buttons for the shoulders, sleeve cuffs, and back). Which means you'll still spend upwards of $20 if you don't make them yourself or find some cheap non-accurate large silver buttons.

EDIT:
I used something similar to this for the non-button metal pieces:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3260&PRODID=prd2996
Just take out the piece that sticks out (where you would normally sew it on like a button, and snap them together through the fabric.

If you can find large enough ones you may be able to use them as the actual buttons as well. Though to be honest you can just get any buttons that are the right size and have some kind of decorative texture and a can of silver spray paint :D