PDA

View Full Version : Adding Patterns to Malon's Outfit

Sylis
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm helping my wife with her Malon costume, and I am just looking for some advice when it comes to adding the blue designs to the sleeves of Malon's shirt and the bottom of Malon's skirt. I thought I read that someone painted the designs on, or would sewing be easier? Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

SakuraxTsubasa
10-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Hand painting it would probably be the easiest and least time consuming, probably. If you applique it, it'll probably take forever, and same with embroidering. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.)

TR Rose
10-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I used Tulip Soft fabric paint on the sleeves. The designs were too complicated for me to use fabric for those.

For the skirt, I'm using strips of fabric to make the block designs and the row of trim.

Sylis
10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of just cutting out a stencil and using that for the sleeves of the shirt with the fabric paint. As for the skirt, I was originally going to suggest using the blue ribbon that she had found at the store, but then when loading up Ocarina of Time and looking at Malon, I noticed the same design at the bottom of the skirt is at the top of it as well. The Skirt we found at a thrift store, and that we are going to dye, has an elastic part for the waist, so sewing fabric into it wouldn't work. We might just be painting it on everything.

The next part I am concerned with is what I consider is a leather apron. What do you think it is and what would be the best material to use for it?

Mystic~
10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Hmm, I don't really think leather would be a good choice for the apron. It costs an awful lot too, and would be a lot more work than using fabric since you would have to tool and stain the designs. I'd go with a nice cotton fabric, and then either appliqueing the designs on and satin stitching them down, or painting them on.

Sylis
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
My wife might have found a leather skirt on craigslist for cheap that we could always cut up and turn it into the apron, then for the designs we could always use a burning pen and actually burn them into the leather. That is if the skirt would work and the price is right, it could be a cheap thing. This weekend I am being given the task of making the Bowser pendant out of clay, hopefully my carving skills are decent enough.

Sylis
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok, so we have decided to use either a 100% cotton or a full suede fabric for the Malon Apron, I think that will be simple enough. I do have a question about the Bowser broach, I am not sure how to attach it to scarf. At first I was thinking it was just a loop or ring in the back, the two ends of the scarf would go through it and then tie them. Or would I use a pin?