PDA

View Full Version : Sad moments in anime

aeva
10-17-2002, 07:20 PM
As I sat and watched 3x3 Eyes for the Bob-knows-how-many-ith time, I still managed to shed some tears. I was just wondering if I'm the only one that still gets emotional at the end of certain animes, regardless of the amount of times I've watched it.

I swear, I always cry at the end of movies. XD

Gravitation. Ugh. It just break out crying every time.
3x3 Eyes - Legend of the Divine Demon. Such.. good ending.
X The Movie - Every time Karen dies, I become hysterical. She's so cool... ;_______________;

And I will admit to gettin' all misty every time I watch the Pokémon movies. XD I'm so pitiful. ::hides under a rock::

Babbit_Chan
10-17-2002, 07:43 PM
The end of Idolo was pushing me to tears at the Metreon - it was soooo saaad T-T So was Grave of the Fireflies ;_;

Tenshi
10-17-2002, 08:00 PM
No movie, book, show, WHATEVER on this earth is as sad as Grave of the Fireflies. I just bawl throughout the entire thing. I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it now ;_;.

The end of Sailormoon S always gets to me. Not those two pointless episodes that are the technical end. No, I'm talking about the episode before that, where Sailormoon comes back out with baby Hotaru. She looks so sad.

One of the last episodes of Tenchi Universe also had me sobbing -- the one where it looked like Ryoko died.

Nietsche
10-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Fushigi Yuugi..the TV series....man did the reunion thing with Tatara and Suzuno was a real tearfilled moment..even to my cold heart...

Karisu-sama
10-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Tenshi
No movie, book, show, WHATEVER on this earth is as sad as Grave of the Fireflies. I just bawl throughout the entire thing. I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it now ;_;.

Totally. ;_;

And for some reason, much as I am not really a Pokemon fan, Pikachu's attempts to revive Ash the end of the first movie still makes me so sad. POOOOOR Pikachu!!! ;_; Maybe that's weird, but I just like Pikachu. Too kawaii.

Sami
10-17-2002, 08:39 PM
I think I may be a cold hearted human being, because Grave of the Fireflies elicited next to no emotion in me at all. -_-; Everyone said it was SO SAD and I just found it.. sort of.. meh. ._.;

However, watching Fushigi Yuugi for the first time made me cry a lot! Especially the end!! Uwaaa sadness.

Chosuke
10-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Nuriko ._.

I would have to say though,that I have never been truly upset by anime character deaths.

But one book I read, Burning brightly,by Mercedes Lackey made me bawl for about a good two hours. At the beginning of the book I didn't think I would like the main character.Turn's out I had gotten so attached to him when the book was over I felt all weird and alone ^^;; maybe i'm just a dork but i'm a sucker for strong pieces of writing.

Anybpdy else ever read this?

p.s Lavan and Kalira's relationship was the first Male female one I ever supported ^^;;

aeva
10-17-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
I would have to say though,that I have never been truly upset by anime character deaths.

GEE GOLLY GOODNESS YESH.

***Spoiler Alert! For spoiler-concious people and nervous animals, do not scroll down!***

In Record of Lodoss War: Cronicles of the Heroic Knight, I go INSANE crying whenever Orson dies. It's not just that he dies, its HOW he dies, and Shiris's reaction. Orson has to be one of my favorite characters in the show, and Shiris is my favorite anime chick of all time. The combination... and everything.... WAAAAH! ;___________________; I can't take it. It may just be an anime, but DAMN, the characters are so well delevoped that you feel you know them.... having emotions reflecting that is only natural.

Jibrille
10-17-2002, 09:26 PM
The first time i watched the end of the utena series i was just about in tears.

an lets see....

*sniffle* WOLFWOOD! *runs off crying*

Karisu-sama
10-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
Nuriko ._.
But one book I read, Burning brightly,by Mercedes Lackey made me bawl for about a good two hours.
Anybpdy else ever read this?

Ooooh, no; I've read a bunch of Misty Lackey's stuff, but not the Herald books... Must go look this one up...

Himemiya
10-17-2002, 09:35 PM
The utena movie makes me cry ;_;
And in SMS when luna cries... ah it just gets to me every time ;_;

Umi
10-17-2002, 09:35 PM
Yeah Nuriko is a definate sad moment for me too. Also the end of Cowboy Bebop and the last Rurouni Kenshin OAV T_T Wah...

I've never seen Grave of the Fireflies mostly cause my boyfriend watched it before and said it was the saddest thing ever and I probably wouldn't be able to take it (I get quite emotional..)

Mei Lan Chang
10-17-2002, 09:48 PM
I am always, always sad when I watch Jin Roh. I know that it's not a romance story and all....but don't you just wish it could work out sometimes?

The tradgic ending is a great part of what makes it so great though. It is not a story about a man and a woman, but really about wolf and a human metaphically speaking.

*sniff* But I still grapple with my cheesy love issues.

Koumori
10-17-2002, 11:01 PM
One word: Nuriko.

Oh, and the Kenshin OVA. Yeah.

Celine
10-17-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
One word: Nuriko.

I agree completely. ;_;

I also found Please Save My Earth to be quite depressing... I'm not the type to really ever be moved to tears, but that was one sad show.

Studmaster
10-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Grave of the Fireflies depressed me to all hell when I first saw it, and I was a little bit suicidal back a year ago.

Kidou Senshi Gundam depressed me when Kai's lover died trying to save White Base. Not to metion Lalah's Death.

Another one of my favorite emotional moments was at the end of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust at Lelah's Funeral.

Ukayoru no Chou
10-18-2002, 12:41 AM
I cant help ut get a sad feeling when anything like a good book series or show ends.. v_v; I might cry..but the only thing as of officallness right now is the Cowboy Bebop ending.. ;______;
If you were online with me when I first saw it , you would have had to suffer through much of rantings of me crying and etc..

meh..>>

Eurobeat King
10-18-2002, 03:02 AM
Grave of the Fireflies was sad, and it was partly sad in another Studio Ghibli film, (you may not think so) but I found the middle part of "My Neighbor Totoro" sad because there was the feeling that the little girls' mother would die. ;_; When Satsuki cries, and then Mei gets lost (to go to her mom) the feeling of the film switches from happy & magical to sadness & tension.. (The music also adds to it..) But, of course, the ending makes everything better. :D

Foxwolfe
10-18-2002, 05:31 AM
Cant say that Ive ever cried when watching an anime, although I did get teary eyed when Ricky got shot in Boyz in the Hood (I know not anime but its the only example I could come up with).

But wait, Im a guy, so who cares.

Karisu-sama
10-18-2002, 05:46 AM
Fox, get thee back to the AX board. You have no soul. ;)

Whatchoodoin' here? Too bored/board?? Yer not a cosplayer anyways, unless Frozen tricks you into that Deedlit costume by next AX.... ;)

Demented Otaku
10-18-2002, 02:54 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Spike Spiegels death at the end of Bebop... it was so dramatic, the doves flying above him and definitely the song "Blue", it just stuck in my head. I just felt so sad because the end made me understand the entire anime... also Wolfwoods scene in the church shook a tear out of me.

Chosuke
10-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Karisu-sama!!!!!!! *_*
Finally someone who has read a lackey novel!
You HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE to read Burning brightly!
it's not a trilogy like owlsight,flight and such ..just a single book..but its sooo good!

Karasu
10-18-2002, 05:37 PM
A couple people have already said it, but . . . . .Nuriko!!!!! Oh, that sucked.

*Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*ponders* In Sailor Stars, when Usagi finds out that Mamoru died. Or when The Starlights' Princess was killed in front of them. Both of those tugged at my heart strings!!! :blubber:

Galaxia
10-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Demented Otaku
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Spike Spiegels death at the end of Bebop... it was so dramatic, the doves flying above him and definitely the song "Blue", it just stuck in my head. I just felt so sad because the end made me understand the entire anime...

I totally agree.

WHOA - Just seconds after I posted this, "Blue" started playing on my Winamp playlist. Freaky!

Babbit_Chan
10-18-2002, 11:00 PM
OMG how could I forget Metropolis?! Metropolis was said for me as well ;_;

dizzylizzy
10-18-2002, 11:32 PM
i agree on nuriko....... that was the first time an anime actually got me to really cry.. i mean, all out wail! :::sniffle:::

aeva
10-19-2002, 07:21 AM
*Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*ponders* In Sailor Stars, when Usagi finds out that Mamoru died. Or when The Starlights' Princess was killed in front of them. Both of those tugged at my heart strings!!!

***Spoiler warning!***

Yesh, that was a teary moment.... but I was more upset when Uranus and Neptune died. They were my favorite, and it was jsut so sad when all they wanted was to hold hands for the last time.... My hands were so moist from trying to wipe away the tears. They were my favorites in the show, and the way the dies.. ::sniffles:: I was watchign it over my friend's house, and she was so concnerned, thing something was actually wrong with ME. ^^;;;; "Jenna.... it's so... sad! ::wails;: Uranus!! ;.;"

Spaztik
10-19-2002, 11:38 AM
I guess im just a sucker for angst. Angst is nummy.

SPOILERS

Wolfwood's scene at the church, Vash shooting Legato, Guld's sacrifice at the end of Macross Plus, the end of 3x3 eyes; Legend of the Divine Demon, Shinji killing Kaworu, pretty much all of End of Eva... oh theres so much i cry over. I even go so far as to think a few certain anime are not as good when they contain little angst.

:bigcry: :D

Mara
10-19-2002, 03:14 PM
I agree with Please Save My Earth, it always makes tears run down my face. *SPOILER!!!!*
Especially the end episode when Lazlo and Kyaa die, and Rin/Shion breaks down... that always makes me cry. :( And then you see how Mokuren saved Rin's life when he fell... so awesome! *blows nose*

And in Fushigi Yuugi, when Tamahome's family.... *sniff* The way Hikaru Midorikawa starts crying... wow. He's an incredible actor. When I hear him cry like that, it makes ME start crying.

Lightning Count
10-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Sad moments in Anime? Anytime an Anime is dubbed into english is a sad moment for me. ((((shudder)))))

KaineMaxwell
10-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Ending of Cowboy Beop and the end of Digimon Tamers (season 3 ) all i can think of offhand now.

(Seen the end of Tamers raw and the dubbing- the orginal had alot more emotion involved especially with the background song, but the dub version was still sad.)

Mei Lan Chang
10-19-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Lightning Count
Sad moments in Anime? Anytime an Anime is dubbed into english is a sad moment for me. ((((shudder)))))

Hahahah..hey! You are spoiling the tear jerking mood in here! ^__^

JoeBoeing
10-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Like 20 scenes of Fushigi Yuugi. Poor Mitsukake... so noble.

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Returns OVA vol. 2 with Ayako

The whole thing to Grave of the Fireflies ( I cried for a good 5 hours after that)

The Last Unicorn when Lear faces the Red Bull

Nurse Angel Ririka (to many moments to name especially the end)

D.N.A. ^2 (A couple moments)

Sorcerer Hunters ( What happenens to Marron, Choclate, Tira and Gato near the end).

And many more.

FRom,
Joe Boeing

Babbit_Chan
10-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
Hahahah..hey! You are spoiling the tear jerking mood in here! ^__^

WAHAHAHAHAHA! :thumbsup:

camipoop
10-20-2002, 02:13 AM

Ayaka
10-20-2002, 02:25 AM
I'm not easy, I should say that. (And by "easy", I JUST MEAN that movies have got to work to get me emotional, lol.)

But Grave of the Fireflies . . . duh-am. Though I have heard from a few people that Barefoot Gen is more depressing. A few other things have gotten me close to crying or gotten a bit out of me (Metropolis, Jin-roh, the Escaflowne movie) . . . but I still can't watch the end of Bebop with anyone. I can barely watch it at all. I can't even listen to Blue or See You Space Cowboy! A lot of it has to do with the context of when I saw that last ep, I guess (I watched it last September. Enough said.) . . . but geez, I'm embarrassed by it, but if you sit with me watching that I'm just gonna be sobbing. I hate crying in front of other people but I don't think I could help it. I guess I should animate the little storyboard I did last week that was, I admit it, inspired by the end of Bebop . . . it went over well with folks, too. lol so why not, I'll make a Bebop fan film.

*SpaceCowb0y*
10-20-2002, 01:16 PM
The times i get emotional is after watching the Tenchi universe series... especially the scene when ryoko gets injured badly....And also as soon as they played that Sakura song in the end of the series :)

SleepingKirby
10-20-2002, 04:34 PM
For me, it's when "Call me, Call me" and "Blue" starts playinging Cowboy Bebop. Ed's departure, when Faye finally finds her past and Spike's Departure. I don't think I've seen any other anime that got to me that much.

" Why won't you, ease my mind. Reasons, for me to find you. Ease my mind. What can I do, to get me to you?"

" Everything is clearer now. Life is just a dream, you know, that's never ending... I'm ascending."

Galaxia
10-20-2002, 07:01 PM
To add on to what I was saying before - the ending of Cowboy Bebop really got to me because it was such a shock. Add that and the end theme for the episode, "Blue" made it an all-out sob fest for me. I had really gotten into the show too.

The end of Session 24 was really sad too - Spike & Jet eating the eggs all alone on the Bebop - they look so lonely :(

XxNANA_AYUxX
10-20-2002, 07:17 PM
the ending of Evangelion.....

Shinji- "Asuka?.... *gasp*
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

god i luv that scream

SleepingKirby
10-20-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Galaxia
To add on to what I was saying before - the ending of Cowboy Bebop really got to me because it was such a shock. Add that and the end theme for the episode, "Blue" made it an all-out sob fest for me. I had really gotten into the show too.

The end of Session 24 was really sad too - Spike & Jet eating the eggs all alone on the Bebop - they look so lonely :(

I don't know, I didn't get the feeling of loneliness. I got the feeling of respect. Spike and Jet never really openly considered Ed or Faye as part of their group, nor did they openly acknowledge them as a part of their life. I saw them eating Faye, Ed and Ein's share of eggs as sort of their own way of saying farewell, and thanks for them memories in a "see you, space cowboy." sort of way. (Yeah, I know, it was "See You, Space Cowgirl. Someplace, Somewhere!") But then, I could be reading too much into it.

Meiotika
10-21-2002, 01:28 AM
One video game scenes comes to mind.

(Warning: Spoilers Aplenty!)

From Xenogears. When Ramsus finds out that Miang has manipulating him. He kills his lover, then he weeps over her dead body.

KaineMaxwell
10-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Another sad moment was when Neflyte died in Molly's arms in SM...

Tea-chan
10-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Eh. I doubt any of you have seen it... but..

Kanon

The anime based off of a very depressing game. 13 episodes long, and it made me cry 9 or 10 times. Several points I was just about sobbing.

I just feel bad for my best guy friend who was sitting next to me throughout the whole thing. Ahh. The joys of being a shoujo anime freak.

The end of Utena made me cry. Hell, the endings of most animes make me cry. ;_; I get all sad.

Love Hina Again made me cry, because I'm a freak, and it reminded me about how effing lonely I was. Yeah.

Let's see.

Bebop.

Uh. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, despite it not being an anime, made me sob. I was on the phone with my boyfriend when I finished it, too. I feel bad for my male friends, because they're always the ones who catch me when I'm crying. I'm a bitch to console, too. :D

Ranma Saotome
10-21-2002, 03:59 PM
This one goes back to the old aniem fans like me...

The death of Optimus Prime. When I first saw it and when I saw it again last year I cried. the second time I was on my lunchbreak at work watching. People thought I was nuts. Come on, as a kid, you looked up to Prime. You never thought once he would die.

Anyone here who says that they didn't cry is still in denial. :(

Karasu
10-21-2002, 05:41 PM
Quoted by: aeva
***Spoiler warning!***

Yesh, that was a teary moment.... but I was more upset when Uranus and Neptune died. They were my favorite, and it was jsut so sad when all they wanted was to hold hands for the last time.... My hands were so moist from trying to wipe away the tears. They were my favorites in the show, and the way the dies.. ::sniffles:: I was watchign it over my friend's house, and she was so concnerned, thing something was actually wrong with ME. ^^;;;; "Jenna.... it's so... sad! ::wails;: Uranus!! ;.;"

:blubber: I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sniffle*

aeva
10-21-2002, 06:39 PM
I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sniffle*

::glomps and wails and sniffles:: It... was so SAD! ::bawls::

KaineMaxwell
10-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Geez, you're making me want to see the Stars series more and more now...

John Booty
10-22-2002, 01:46 PM
Okay, it's not anime and... but the scene in Final Fantasy 3 (US) when Cyan sees his family leaving on the Ghost Train in the forest is seriously the saddest thing I've ever seen.

On a related note... least grief-inducing death ever: AERIS (apologies to the Cosplay.com Aeris!!)

Ranma Saotome
10-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
On a related note... least grief-inducing death ever: AERIS (apologies to the Cosplay.com Aeris!!)

I dunno, I felt a tear watching that cut scene... I know a bunch of fanboys cried over that.

residue
10-22-2002, 04:01 PM
umm, i cried when vegeta killed himself in the bu fight.
i cried, when Shirley died in vandread,
i cried at the end of vandread.(more happy tears than anything)
Grave of the fireflies made me cry.

wow, i cry alot dont i?

Umi
10-22-2002, 11:44 PM
Oh my .... totally. Aries' death was the only time I cried over a video game T.T nooooo!

Karasu
10-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Original quote by: KaineMaxwell
Geez, you're making me want to see the Stars series more and more now...

You should see the Stars series!!!! It's the best! *glomps the VHS fromthe internet*