PDA

View Full Version : Personifications/Humanizations

Seismogenic
10-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Since I was little, I've had a tendency to make up OCs that are personified/humanized things. I know a lot of people do this for animal characters (or things like Pokemon), but I'm talking about actual things, as in geological features or days of the year or manmade structures. For the most part, I just draw these characters, but the extent of my costume-making experience has been bringing some of these humanizations to life. (This Halloween is no exception!)

I was wondering, does anyone else have OCs that are personified/anthropomorphized/humanized/whatever objects or concepts? How did you go about designing a humanoid character that clearly represents the object in question? And how did you go about translating that design from concept to costume?

I'm partly curious because I just wonder if anyone else out there has characters like this, but I'd certainly also appreciate tips on making believable/recognizable structure-, concept-, or object-people.

sephygoth
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
I thought about it long ago, then decided to stack it on something else.
Concept of cold is interesting, how would you dress as winter? I had my character for it, yet at a con called Arisia, someone else had hers as well. We stunned each other with our talents and eventually kept in touch, she even mailed me components I never thought I'd use.... until I did

So in making a character for fall, or summer....what would you do? analyze the components. You need association with references, put yourself in that concept, and you can probably dress like it.

glitter bomb
10-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I think it's a wonderful talent to be able to look at inanimate objects or concepts and envision human characters for them. That's not something many people can do, so I say keep at it. :)

As far as how that idea translates to a costume, I think that's just a matter of personal taste. For example, one person may choose to anthropomorphicize a building as the iconic Metropolis character, while another may create something that looks more like a Transformer, while another may have something totally abstract. Myself, I keep digital and print scrapbooks of all kinds of reference, anything that inspires me. And I don't judge or limit where inspiration comes from -- it could be a piece of garbage, an animal at a zoo, a film about who-knows-what, a fashion show, a random drawing, anything. All of that eventually distills itself into my own personal visual style.

Personally, when I create a costume I don't worry about "will people know exactly what this is?" I've found it doesn't matter if some of the people understand the conceptual source, and the others just think it looks like a cool/pretty/intriguing costume. As long as (a) I'm happy with it and (b) others seem to enjoy it, I really don't care. Plus, I like the sort of Rorshach test effect, where people will project their idea of the final product. It's fun and engaging.

If it's important that viewers "get it" then I study the item to personify and note what the iconic or defining elements are. For example Winter = Ice or Fire = oranges & reds. And then I sketch out ways to incorporate or build on those elements.

Amanita
12-22-2010, 03:43 AM
I do this to buildings all the time, and have been ever since I was a kid! I'll have to post links to some sketches later.

Amanita
01-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Here's my DeviantArt gallery, with a few of my personifications. Some of them are heavily anthropomorphized, while others look more human. I've still got some more that I need to scan and/or upload.
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/gallery/

Stormraven24
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
A few years ago in high school I dressed up as a cheetah/human hybrid for Halloween. Got up at 3AM to paint all those spots on and get the nails glued on and the contacts in. Does that count? :3

SvK
01-11-2011, 08:46 PM
At Dragon*Con I've seen people dressed as candy, the seven deadly sins, and the periodic table of elements.

Braithcakes
03-19-2011, 10:32 AM
my friend is making a gown in his fasion piece that are themed for the pyramids, there's even a pyramid headpiece for it.