PDA

View Full Version : Rimmell Lasting Finish 25h foundation review

fechan
10-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Over the years I must've tried dozens of different foundations, here is a review of the latest pharmacy brand I tried.

Name of Product: Rimmell London Lasting Finish 25H Foundation
Where Purchased: Well.ca (online pharmacy)

Product Description: A medium coverage long-lasting liquid foundation available in 11 shades.

Pros:
- Long-lasting. I didn't try 25 hours but I wear it for 16 hours regularly and it does not slide from my face at all. I even took a nap with it and it didn't come off on the sheets.
- Moisturising. I have very sensitive skin therefore I often have rashes and eczema on my face. The foundation did not make it worse or dry up my skin.
- Acne prone skin safe. It did not make me break out despite being moisturising and not being oil-free.
- Yellow shades. This is great for people with yellower skintones who have a hard time finding matching shades with other foundations. The shade that matched best my skin (I'm slightly darker than MAC NC15 but significantly paler than NC20) was True Ivory. It's a little bit yellower/darker than my skin when I apply it on my face but it blends really well and see no line of demarcation on my jaw and neck.

Cons:
- Wet. The foundation stays wet on the face (no 'powder' finish) and requires a generous amount of setting powder.
- Shiny. I found the foundation to be shinier in general than other foundations. It does not become shiny throughout the day but rather it has a 'sparkly?' finish. I fixed this issue with applying a lot of blot/mattifying pressed powder over it but it still has a little shine. Nothing noticeable but a bit more than I'm used to.
- Yellow shades. Many other online reviewers of this product found it hard to match the colours to their skin and complained about the yellowness of the shades. I do not recommend this foundation for people with warm/pink overtones.

Overall Rating: 7/10, I would buy it again and I think it's a good pharmacy-brand foundation for cosplay at about 10$ a bottle.

Product link: http://www.rimmellondon.com/us/en/products/lasting-finish-25-hour-foundation/

danniebloo
10-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I love Rimmel's foundations :) This one is good but I prefer the Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation though because it doesn't seem as wet to me and is (as the name says) less shiny. I have a feeling they might discontinue it soon though :c

Apsara
11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you very much. I have dark skin but with very yellow undertones so there is nothing in the American cosmetics market that seems to work. Everything gives me an odd ashy-reddish layered mask.

I currently use Smashbox's Hydrating Halo mineral foundation in "medium", said to be the yellowest by a couple of Sephora sales person. I believed them much to my chagrin. I also have bareMineral's bareEscentual's foundation in "medium tan". BareMinerals made my skin look ashen and reddish at the same time so I actually use it to contour my face and as a blush. XD I than swipe Smashbox all over that to tone down the ashy layer and spend about five minutes just blending.

fechan
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I love Rimmel's foundations :) This one is good but I prefer the Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation though because it doesn't seem as wet to me and is (as the name says) less shiny. I have a feeling they might discontinue it soon though :c

After reading your comment I went out and bought the Stay Matte foundation but was disappointed. It only came in 5 (or so) shades and despite having the same name as the 25H foundation they were completely different. True Ivory (103) was very, very pink and much paler than 25H. I ended up getting the shade 200 but it was too dark for my skin. The coverage of that foundation is much lighter and I did not feel like it was more matte than other brand's regular foundation. :(

Axelai
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I tried this out today c: I was shopping for makeup, and then i remembered your review on Rimmel. I ended up getting "Rimmel London Lasting Finish 25H Foundation" in the color "102 Warm Ivory". I also got the "Stay Matte" pressed powder of the same brand after remembering how wet it was.

I am SO in love with this. I'm an odd ethnicity (1/4th Irish, 1/4th other European, 1/2 Mexican Indian), so my skin tone is pale... but brownish. Its not noticeable until i put my arm up next to a normal white person, and you see how i'm a light brown, and they're a light pink.

So the yellowness of this makeup was PERFECT for me. It went on nicely. I have slightly oily skin, so i was afraid it wouldn't go on right. But it went on just fine.

I've only been wearing it a few hours, but it hasn't come off on anything. I very much like this makeup <3

EDIT: It usually comes off by night time if i put it on in the morning. Kind of misleading, but not too bad.

Apsara
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I bought this in Soft Beige and I applied it with a sponge. I already moisturized heavily before applying this foundation and waited about 7 minutes to apply. My skin flaked. @_@ I've never had that happen with a foundation before, especially liquid. I even used their Fix and Perfect Foundation Primer.

I took everything off and scrubbed my face again making sure to polish in circles to remove the dead skin. I waited a few hours, moisturized again (though I did it immediately after drying my skin) and applied the primer then the foundation. Same thing. It instantly dried out my skin and the foundation was very powdery to the touch.

3rd try. I didn't use the Fix and Perfect primer. I put equal amounts of the foundation and moisturizer, mixed them and applied. Perfect match, and not. I forgot that my face isn't all one shade.

200 Soft Beige matched the lightest shade (the apples of my cheeks, tip of my nose and my forehead) perfectly. I could not tell it was there. However, where my skin is darker pigmented (around my mouth and nostril) it appeared as an ashy-brown haze over my skin.

I also couldn't return OR exchange it back to Target where I bought it from. Most other drugstores accepts returns, and I've never had a problem before. Lesson learned. I just wanted to go a shade darker. They absolutely won't do that. :( So I'll use it as a primer and use my mineral foundations over it because I actually really like the texture. The shine was spot on. My skin had that same weird shine to it so I was surprised when it practically disappeared.

Just for fun I slapped some on my chest and people at work wondered if I'd gotten a really good night's sleep or something. Did you get laid?! No, I just got a really good foundation. *laughs*

Oh, I should mention I have very dry spots, skin issues like breaking out in hives a lot and the normal oily T-zone. The foundation really did stay put.