PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and exercising

DinoTabbi
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I do 45 minutes of walking and started at 3 reps of 10 crunches every other day of the week. Since I only walk 45 minutes, does this help at all with losing weight or does it just keep me in shape? I do buttlifts too. I'm wondering if doing crunches helps you lose the stomach while gaining muscle or does it just give you muscle?

distantarray
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
doing crunches will help make your stomach bigger but more defined, losing fat is diet and/or cardio. Although crunches only make abs bigger it can make it appear flatter as well.

Just remember losing weight doesn't generally mean your getting healthy, losing fat should be your target goal. Body fat calculators are great, calipers or analyzers with electric impulses.

Anything that gets your heart rate up is good cardio, aim for around 150-170 beats per minute for most people on this site would probably be ideal. Anymore for a prolonged time can be dangerous, and anything lower can result in little to no result after a while.

Remember also diet plans like weight watchers, or more pre-packaged meal diets can be tossed straight out the window if your incoporating exercise into the mix. Figuring out the correct calories to intake for a activity level and the person's body with it's almost limitless variables are hard to calculate.

Personally the way I see it, clean up your diet little by little, when you first workout don't diet at all just eat what your eating, then the diet will clean itself as your will power grows when you start thinking wow I was at the gym for 30 minutes this can of soda almost kills my workout! (180 calories is about 20 minutes of jogging)

DinoTabbi
10-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm going to try to cut most of the hight sodium foods I eat and hope that helps too. Most of what I eat has so much sodium in it. I drink aloe drink instead of pop. It seems to make me feel better

saiyamanmasenko
10-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Dino~I've never heard of aloe drink. It sounds interesting. What exactly is it?

distantarray
10-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Dino~I've never heard of aloe drink. It sounds interesting. What exactly is it?

Aloe drink is exactly just that, Aloe drink :p Aloe Vera juice.

Aloe vera contains all the vitamins, except D, that people need on a daily basis. It also contains enzymes, minerals, anti-microbial, amino acids and sugars that are all beneficial to the human body. All of these ingredients in aloe vera are why it is used to aid digestion, reduce inflammation, cleanse and sooth the body.

The main benefits of Aloe Vera are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and restoration. Other on going studies suggest that it is also beneficial to the heart and can destroy strong bacteria. Long time known benefits mostly have resulted from aloe vera used externally. Aloe soothes and helps support the natural repair of skin that has been damaged. Many cosmetics contain aloe because of its moisturizing benefits. Aloe vera can also be made into a juice where it is used to aid in digestion, ease muscular conditions and allergies.

Chocolahime
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
The walking will help but you need to get your heart rate up and your body moving more if you really want to see results. Like distantarray said, focus more on the working out then the dieting. If you don't have a lot of time to work out maybe in between workouts find small ways to be active. Walk around when playing a hand-held game? When chatting on a forum do some squats or jump some rope when waiting for responses.

I really love aloe vera drink, especially the ones with the chewy aloe bits in it. I didn't know it was good for me :D I feel better for drinking it so much. Another good yummy drink to replace soda and stuff is almond milk... if you aren't allergic to almonds... it tastes like candy to me, so I have a little sip of it when I am craving sugar.

distantarray
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
The walking will help but you need to get your heart rate up and your body moving more if you really want to see results. Like distantarray said, focus more on the working out then the dieting. If you don't have a lot of time to work out maybe in between workouts find small ways to be active. Walk around when playing a hand-held game? When chatting on a forum do some squats or jump some rope when waiting for responses.

I really love aloe vera drink, especially the ones with the chewy aloe bits in it. I didn't know it was good for me :D I feel better for drinking it so much. Another good yummy drink to replace soda and stuff is almond milk... if you aren't allergic to almonds... it tastes like candy to me, so I have a little sip of it when I am craving sugar.

Just careful about the carb content just cause aloe vera juice is good for you doesn't mean many ready to drink bottles aren't loaded with sugar, all in all it's MUCH better alternative than soda.

Berenice
10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
So my friend and I have been doing the Hip Hop abs thing
We often do the Cardio Fat Burn workout (30 mins) and sometimes we do the Ab sculpt (25-ish minutes)

Crunches and ab exercises make your waist bigger right?
the hip hop abs cardio fat burn workout... is it CARDIO or AB workout?

Because if it's cardio, then that's alright for us
If it's abs workout/like crunching, then should we stop if we're trying to make our waist line smaller? (especially my friend who';s trying to get in modelling by chasing that 24-26 inch)

Hanzo187
10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Walking is better for burning fat because it takes much longer for fat to be converted to ATP (adenosine triphosphate, the energy compound used to help muscle move) as opposed to carbohydrates. Because of that, fat is mainly used during moderate-intensity activity. If you run, you'll draw more on carbs, but if you can keep up the run for longer periods, over time, you'll draw more and more on fat because your body won't need ATP as desperately as you would in the initial stages.

At 3.5 mi/hr (assuming that's your speed) and 45 minutes a day, it appears you walk about 18.375 (or 18 3/8) miles a week, or a little over 1800 calories a week. If you're watching your caloric intake, that accounts to a little over a 1/2 pound of fat. I'd shoot for over 2000 calories a week if you're going for weight loss.

Hope that helps.

Patches
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
There is no such thing as spot reduction. Fat burning happens all over the body pretty evenly and doesn't have anything to do with spot-exercises. Doing lots of "ab" workouts and crunches and stuff does not make you lose weight in your ab area any faster than just doing cardio. It does however, make your midsection look better when you do finally get down to your goal bodyfat percentage. :)

Berenice
10-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Walking is better for burning fat because it takes much longer for fat to be converted to ATP (adenosine triphosphate, the energy compound used to help muscle move) as opposed to carbohydrates. Because of that, fat is mainly used during moderate-intensity activity. If you run, you'll draw more on carbs, but if you can keep up the run for longer periods, over time, you'll draw more and more on fat because your body won't need ATP as desperately as you would in the initial stages.

At 3.5 mi/hr (assuming that's your speed) and 45 minutes a day, it appears you walk about 18.375 (or 18 3/8) miles a week, or a little over 1800 calories a week. If you're watching your caloric intake, that accounts to a little over a 1/2 pound of fat. I'd shoot for over 2000 calories a week if you're going for weight loss.

Hope that helps.

So..
it's the DURATION of an exercise that kinda determines fat burn?

Rjr3412
10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Theres a couple factors that determine how much fat is burnt during and post exercise.

The greater the intensity the larger percent of calories will come from carbs vs fats. So at low intensity, a higher "percentage" of fat is burnt, but a lower "number" of calories will be burnt in an equivalent time span.

On the other hand, a higher intensity workout will cause your body to raise its metabolism "post" cardio. So while you burn a certain amount during the exercise, the time after that exercise continues to burn more.

What is generally considered the most effective, for long term goals, is interval training. This is where you go at a higher intensity for a set time span, then a much lower intensity for a similar amount of time and alternate back and forth.
An example would be to be walking on a treadmill at 3.5mph for one minute, then bumping it to 6.5mph for one minute back and forth for twenty to thirty minutes.
Following intervals tends to be better about sparing muscles from being used as an energy source, burns more total calories than either straight out high or low intensity cardio, and also has the added benefit of being the most effective "post" workout.

A more advance version of interval training is known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which consists of a short burst (say 15-30 seconds) of an absolute sprint, as fast as you can go, followed by a similar or slightly longer rest period (30-45 seconds). This can be done in 15-20 minutes and be extremely effective, but is NOT NOT NOT for beginners. And as a point of advice, if you think you can do HIIT for more than 20 minutes, you ain't doing it right, lol.

Edit: Just keep in mind that cardio is a DISTANT second to diet. If you aren't eating right, cardio will not give you the results you wish for. It may allow you to stop gaining weight, but thats about it.

DinoTabbi
10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice guys!

Hanzo187
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
So..
it's the DURATION of an exercise that kinda determines fat burn?
Eh, not exactly. It's the DISTANCE you cover that's most important. How far you move will determine caloric consumption more than how long you move. If you go 10 miles a day, that burns about 1000 calories. It doesn't matter if you walk it or run it, you'll still burn the same amount. The difference is what your body draws on. If you walk, you'll use fat more. If you run, you'll use carbs more, but as your body adjusts and you get more mitochondria (the energy processor in cells) from endurance exercise, you'll draw more and more on fat.

It's a little tough to explain, but does that help?

Jia Jem
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
doing crunches will help make your stomach bigger but more defined, losing fat is diet and/or cardio. Although crunches only make abs bigger...

While this may be true, you have to watch it coming off as the same way as "lifting weights will turn you into a behemoth bodybuilder monster" when it comes to girls. There is nothing wrong with building a strong core, and I think putting it in such black/white terms scares a lot of girls in particular from concentrating on working this important area. They might get the impression that they should avoid all core work at great length for that "skinny waist".

Loplod
10-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Theres a couple factors that determine how much fat is burnt during and post exercise.

The greater the intensity the larger percent of calories will come from carbs vs fats. So at low intensity, a higher "percentage" of fat is burnt, but a lower "number" of calories will be burnt in an equivalent time span.

On the other hand, a higher intensity workout will cause your body to raise its metabolism "post" cardio. So while you burn a certain amount during the exercise, the time after that exercise continues to burn more.

What is generally considered the most effective, for long term goals, is interval training. This is where you go at a higher intensity for a set time span, then a much lower intensity for a similar amount of time and alternate back and forth.
An example would be to be walking on a treadmill at 3.5mph for one minute, then bumping it to 6.5mph for one minute back and forth for twenty to thirty minutes.
Following intervals tends to be better about sparing muscles from being used as an energy source, burns more total calories than either straight out high or low intensity cardio, and also has the added benefit of being the most effective "post" workout.

A more advance version of interval training is known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which consists of a short burst (say 15-30 seconds) of an absolute sprint, as fast as you can go, followed by a similar or slightly longer rest period (30-45 seconds). This can be done in 15-20 minutes and be extremely effective, but is NOT NOT NOT for beginners. And as a point of advice, if you think you can do HIIT for more than 20 minutes, you ain't doing it right, lol.

Edit: Just keep in mind that cardio is a DISTANT second to diet. If you aren't eating right, cardio will not give you the results you wish for. It may allow you to stop gaining weight, but thats about it.

This guy has it pretty much right, Listen to him.