PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Festival - Comments/Suggestions

Joshuaaaaaa
10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi folks,

I hope those of you who attended the Sunday Autum Festival enjoyed it. I would like to get feedback on people's experiences with the 2003 event and suggestions for 2004 so we can make it better.

There are a few things I wanted to mention though to take into account when making your comments.

1) There were several logistical problems that arose late in the week that prevented us from having all of the games we wanted. Notably, the dice game, marble and pick-a-duck were last minute substitutions. The "Pick-off-a-duck" was a modification of a planned event.

2) Similarly, we did not have enough time to coordinate getting better art done for the signs.

3) We opened late because of a staffing shortage...Sunday is a tough day with people scrambling to get packed and checked out, or being bushed from the dance Saturday night.

4) While the Sumo suits seemed to be enjoyed by all who used them, usage was overall light. Would people be interested in a tournament, with an entry fee and cash prize?

5) I think a food/drink/snack booth would have been nice, especially with Japanese themed items. However, I don't think AVI wanted outside food being sold on premises. I have no idea what the Hyatt's position will be on this next year, although I'd like to find out sooner rather than later.

6) The idea of the festival was to give people something more to do on Sunday, which is traditionally a slow day. Attendance was good, although not spectacular. I think lack of promotion of the event may have hurt. The idea has been tossed around about expanding the event to Saturday, too. Any thoughts?

7) The idea has also been brought up to have the Autumn Festival and Swap Meet more or less adjacent, so people essentially have "gift shops" near the carnival. Does this idea appeal to you?

Those are things I can think of off the top of my head. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the 2003 Festival and your suggestions will help make the 2004 Festival much better.

Thanks in advance,

Joshua Gottesman
Outside Events Coordinator

Rogue Marvel
10-07-2003, 10:33 PM
I think the idea was a very good one but it needed more time and work to be a really great event...good thing you have a whole year to get ready for the next one!

My high schools anime club was actually wanted to have a booth but we didn't have enough time.

I have a couple ideas for booths next year and I think with better orginization it could really be a great event.

tampopo
10-07-2003, 10:57 PM
I had fun with the games, but maybe make a few that are more challenging. Most of the games you just picked something and it took two seconds to play.

Festivals in Japan are all about food, so if you can swing it, food would be great, however, I don't recommend squid on a stick.

Don't remember if there was music playing, but that always helps to liven things up.

Overall I thought it was a good first effort! :bigtu:

hello kenney
10-08-2003, 05:05 AM
I had no idea it was happening- I was just wandering around on Sunday, turned a corner and was like 'what the hell is all this??'

I didnt hear anything about it the whole con, nor any mention of it at the 'official' type events (like the masq) although I will admit I didnt listen to everything said.

In regards to your question about the underuse of the sumo things- keep in mind it was already pretty hot out without wearing what looked to be 20 plus pounds of insulation. I remember looking at the suits laying on the ground and thinking you couldnt PAY me to wear one of those in this heat (then again, I already have sumo like padding)

KimikoChan
10-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Well it was enjoyable, but it was pretty far off. I had no idea where it was until after wandering around. Maybe some signage of some sort.

I was really expecting something different, more japanese-ish. It just seemed like something you'd find at any type of american festival.

Also I know the prizes were probably donated or whatever, but with everyone having the same prizes, a lot of duplicates were given out.

I just think more variety in general and more themed like the school festivals in japan would be really fun and interesting. Food booths, some games, activities, music, etc.

It definitely is a good idea though and I had fun going to all the booths to play games, but yeah after about 10-15 minutes, I was done and had nothing else to do but wander off :/

Joshuaaaaaa
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the feeback so far. To address a couple of things, I'll say:

1. Everyone said the sumo suits were hot and it was tough to go more than a few rounds. That probably contributed to more people watching than participating and would be the single biggest reason that event didn't return.

2. We didn't know if people would try lots of different games or just play a few favorites, which is why prizes were distributed somewhat evenly. The ultimate goal is to have anime clubs and dealers sponsor the booths, and in this case each sponsor would provide prizes for that booth, resulting in much wider variety.

3. I agree we should go for more of a Japanese theme. Again, a few more of the games were supposed to be Japanese themed, however logistical problems put the kibosh on that. In addition, if we have a food/gift booth, I'd like it to feature Japanese food.

4. An alternative to the sumo might be a stage/center circle with various Japanese crafts being exhibited. Of course, this assumes we could get people there to exhibit (I'm thinking like a mini Japan Expo).

5. The location of the festival by registration was supposed to make it visible to lots of people...unfortuately, that didn't work as well as planned. And, while it was mentioned on the website and in the program, it wasn't as actively promoted as it should have been. We'll do a better job of that next year.

Hey, we know we weren't perfect, we just want to make this a great time for everyone, so I'm open to many more suggestions.

FlameSniperRei
10-08-2003, 07:50 PM
holy crud it's JOSHUUU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :)

cactusmomma
10-08-2003, 08:15 PM
no more goldfish swallowing ;.;

Wolfgirl
10-08-2003, 10:10 PM
no more goldfish swallowing ;.;
ahh the goldfish i think that game didnt work because how do you take a fish home when most of us traveled:P

I played all the games jsut because i Had extra cash from the dealers room:P

I enjoyed the festival . We liked all the games because they where a bit cheesey hehe and easy. Just my style:P The dice thing was what we kept playing that was fun because we relized we would never go to Las vegas:P

The sumo things I would have but it was hot and I was still in my costume. It was fun watching though I think it would be fun to have a sumo contest like you stated above:P

I did manage to get a picture of mononke shooting ducks:P

The food festival if you had that I would spent so much money, monoke must eat:P

Kenny LOL your funny. I did the same thing we walked around this corner and here was this arch of balloons that kept falling down and attacking us. LOL The balloon arch of death:P

Joshuaaaaaa
10-10-2003, 03:26 PM
bumpity-bump

Beware_UY7
10-10-2003, 04:32 PM
I think some of the ideas mentioned were great. And as far as food... if we can have food... can you sell SNOWCONES? Ah, something like that would've probably been much appreciated too, because of the heat. But, with me, well, I just love snowcones.

You said that you didn't have enough time to get better art for stuff for signs. I'd be happy to help with something like signs, if you'll need it next year.