PDA

View Full Version : Leg Exercises

Naria
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi there!

I am 21 years old, weigh 135 lbs and measure 5'7". I am very satisfied with my weight and have quite a good figure: small waist, good hips and bust...

However, despite all this, I have one issue: my thighs! In comparison to the rest of my body (even the rest of my legs!) my thighs are completely disproportionate. I think that they look huge, especially when compared to what my calves look like.

I have tried all sorts of exercises, from lunges, to squats, to weights... yet I see absolutely no difference in my thigh circumference. This is really bothering me as I am at the point where I feel embarrassed by the way I look in a skirt...

If anyone has any advice or exercises they know of, please, please, PLEASE let me know! I am getting very desperate (I am tired of being ashamed of my legs!)

Thank you!

PSY-chan
10-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I would recommend ballet moves and anything related to pilates. Try workouts like Bar Method, NYC Ballet workout, Lotte Berk, Physique 57, etc...

Hanzo187
10-21-2010, 08:37 PM
So you want them them to look smaller? If so, it's not weightlifting you should be doing. Weights will make them bigger because those exercise will increase muscle size (hypertrophy, it's called).

You'll want to do endurance workouts. Long walks, aerobics classes, jogging, any activity where your legs will be moving for long periods. Biking might work, too, but endurance rather than strength activities are a good way of decreasing size.

Just be careful about them getting TOO small. If that happens, get back on the weights.

Bonne Chance!!

PhDPepper
10-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Well, you have to treat muscle growth and fat loss as two seperate things. To shrink the body its usually done by fat loss, while to grow a part of the body its done by muscle growth. Muscles are pretty high density so, you can work them out quite a bit and still not build too much bulk, especially as a female. But when it comes to fat loss, most females tend to store a lot of their body fat in the thighs directly, and, since your unable to pick and choose where you lose fat from, you really can only continue to drop your body fat percentage and hope eventually your thighs will trim down. To keep the rest of your body from losing their curves though, you have to replace the lost fat with muscle.

To give an idea of muscle density, i can use a 45 degree squat machine, load it to 630lbs and do 8 sets, but my thighs are only 19 inches for their circumference, so don't worry too much about muscles adding too much volume to the legs.

Rjr3412
10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Long distance running is probably your best bet (think marathons) 10+ mile runs on a regular basis. If you look at runners, sprinters which are short intense runners tend to be rather muscular, whereas long distance runners are typically very slim.

Your body wants to be as economical and efficient as possible. If you are continually subjecting it to long distances, its going to shift your body to better accommodate that.

Keep in mind I am NOT telling you to just start running 10 miles everyday, but maybe if you build up to something like that you may see some great results. Plus running is great cardio and may help shed some fat that may be lingering as well.

Naria
10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the tips! I will make sure to try out the cardio... I really hope it works out! Thank you all for the advice.