PDA

View Full Version : Korea, Norway, and other tricky ahoges

Sikorsky
10-22-2010, 06:27 AM
There's one thing I've been wondering for a while, and that's how to do some of the trickier ahoges with floating parts, without having to resort to PhotoShop.

I'm sure I saw a photo once of a Korea cosplayer who had got around this problem... They had a bit of like ascetate paper (unsure of spelling lol) which they'd drawn a face onto, sort of attached to the hair curl somehow... I'm not sure how they did it, but it worked really well.

Because I'm a total perfectionist, I don't wanna just have to do this stuff in editing, y'know?

I'm going to cosplay Norway, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to attach Norways floating hair curl in a way so that the attachment wouldn't be too visible?

Jacaranda
10-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Lol, having the exact same dilemma. Why must two of the four countries of my heritage have such nonsensical hair? Dx

I started a thread in the wigs and hair forum about Norway's ahoge -link- (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=223821), and have gotten some okay input so far. Since it seems like no one's ever attempted the "floating" ahoge before, I'm expecting it to be quite the trial-and-error process.

Aside from the methods suggested to me already (thinner uncovered wire, clear plastic, fishing to prevent drooping), I'm thinking of experimenting with unjacketed fiber -link- (http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Unjacketed.htm), the stuff used in fiber optics. Like, creating the ahoge and dot with wire/extensions, then attaching it to the fiber... yeah, not exactly sure how this is going to work out, but since unjacket fiber is cheap, some experimenting shouldn't break the budget (not sure about my sanity, eep).

As for Korea, I had an idea about that the other day. Similar to the method you mentioned, it involves sticking a piece of clear plastic to the inside of the ahoge. Since the expression on Korea's changes, I was thinking that those plastic sheets for overhead projectors would work (it's thin and lightweight, too). Just construct the ahoge like you normally would, cut the plastic to match the shape (or alternately, bend the ahoge to match the shape of the plastic), glue the two together, draw the face on, and carry some overhead markers with you at the con in case you want to change the face, or you need to do touchups.

Sikorsky
10-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Ah, this is really useful, thanks ^^