PDA

View Full Version : Take the Otakuthon 2011 CHALLENGE!!!!!

Ani_BEE
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
This topic is for those completing going to Otakuthon due to frustration with other cons. (That shall Not Be Named) :rolleyes:

The thought of going all the way out to Montreal was daunting for me since A. the bus out there seems horrid and long B. I've never been to Montreal ever and going by myself down was intimidating.

However VIA is a viable option and from my home town it would take 7 hours with a half hour stop in Toronto to get there for the price of a tank of gas which is what you would pay to get there buy car one way. It would be even cheaper for people that live in Toronto and a much more sane option for those bring there cosplays.

Coach Canada, offers $10 Bus Between Toronto and Montreal as well although the prices have gone up from the rumour mill.

For us out of towners shall we try to to generate as much options and info for us to get around this foreign city. ;)

DireKitty
10-24-2010, 08:17 PM
This topic is for those completing going to Otakuthon due to frustration with other cons. (That shall Not Be Named) :rolleyes:

The thought of going all the way out to Montreal was daunting for me since A. the bus out there seems horrid and long B. I've never been to Montreal ever and going by myself down was intimidating.

However VIA is a viable option and from my home town it would take 7 hours with a half hour stop in Toronto to get there for the price of a tank of gas which is what you would pay to get there buy car one way. It would be even cheaper for people that live in Toronto and a much more sane option for those bring there cosplays.

Coach Canada, offers $10 Bus Between Toronto and Montreal as well although the prices have gone up from the rumour mill.

For us out of towners shall we try to to generate as much options and info for us to get around this foreign city. ;)

How much is a via rail ticket? I have contemplated going there but i figured the cost of travel and hotel would be prohibitive and well.. it's Montreal... so many other things to do!

Actually... I wonder how much a flight on porter is... $144 round trip...

not bad... and quite fast too.

Ani_BEE
10-25-2010, 08:54 AM
It's about $201.14 round trip from Guelph normally but they can have sells on for $120. My co-worker got that rate for the winter.

For Otakuthon I would have to book time off to get there and back. ^_^

DireKitty
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Hmm, at that rate taking the plane makes more sense since it's only 40 bucks more then the sale price and it's much faster. Via is so expensive >: (

Ani_BEE
10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
It is and always has been. >_<

Ani_BEE
10-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes a round trip on the megabus is $40 from Toronto to Montreal but it's also non stop (no pitstops) and horrible from what trixyloupwolf was saying. :untrust:

BeepSushi
10-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Actually, I took megabus to Montreal for Otakuthon this past summer!
It was actually very comfortable and they have a washroom on board. They also make a stop in Kingston for everyone to grab snacks and such. Kingston is kind of like the half-way point. Plus, the commute is sooo worth it. Otakuthon is excellent!

Ani_BEE
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
It's good to hear second options. ;)

It was interesting go down to the Cosplay picnic with your crew BeepSushi. :toothy:

Sarcasm-hime
10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Otakuthon is really worth it IMO. It's shaping up to be a really large and great con and definitely the #2 cosplay event in Canada. I have a great time every year!

Kaoru133
10-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Hello!
I know this is off topic but, I just moved to quebec
from the states so I know no french. I was wondering
if the panels and such are in French or is it in english
and french or what? :p

Kimmy
10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
It's a mix of both. Some are in English, some are in French, and some are bilingual. =)

BeepSushi
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
It's good to hear second options. ;)

It was interesting go down to the Cosplay picnic with your crew BeepSushi. :toothy:

Bahahah, yeah, I'm sure we kept a lot of people amused for the 7 hour bus-ride to Montreal. It was a lot of fun for us.

But I agree with everyone in this thread. Otakuthon is definitely my second favourite Canadian con, next to Anime North of course. Not to mention the venue is absolutely marvelous and wonderful for photo ops. I highly reccommend it for anyone interested in a nice travel with a fun time :D

Ani_BEE
10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I love how they don't advertise where the terminals are but shows you on a map. I only know that the pick up is at the Greyhound Bus terminal and that from the map the drop of it not too far away.

Departs 07:30 Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal
Arrives 14:15 (1:15PM) Montreal, Montreal Bus Terminal, Metro Berri UQAM

Departs 09:30 Toronto, Toronto Coach Terminal
Arrives 16:05 (2:05PM) Montreal, Montreal Bus Terminal, Metro Berri UQAM

jusdepomme
10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
it's two metro station from the bus station (the bus and metro station are connected to one another like at Union station). You can walk but prepare for more than 20 minutes, especially if you have lugguage. If you need to know how to take the metro to here, I can describe it ;)

Kaoru133
10-28-2010, 06:31 PM
It's a mix of both. Some are in English, some are in French, and some are bilingual. =)

Thanks Kimmy ^_^

DireKitty
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Hmm, i would anticipate that taking Porter airways would lead to taking public transit as well.

I wonder if driving is still an option. I like the freedom that allows... but I think i'd go crazy driving the whole way.

Ani_BEE
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
It's about a 10 hour driver from Kitchener area so long as there is no hickups along the road during a Friday. It's doable but might be stressful.

With VIA there is only one transfer at Union and no traffic to contend with.

If your going by air you may end up with the whole Plans, Trains and Automobiles nightmare. lol

trixyloupwolf
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
yeah more friend ^^
rent a mini bus and come all togetter in it ^^;;;

ps: we have a big pokemon group in honnor of the one that passed away
were yet more then 40 peopel if any wanna join sunday of otakuthon nya^^

QuiteVile
11-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Megabus is love~ I take it up to Kingston a lot.
And the drive really isn't too too bad, but maybe because I go up usually twice a month I don't notice. Just be sure to stretch.

I'm hoping to come up next year~

VickyBunnyAngel
11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Megabus is love~ I take it up to Kingston a lot.
And the drive really isn't too too bad, but maybe because I go up usually twice a month I don't notice. Just be sure to stretch.

I'm hoping to come up next year~

oooo please do! it's a fun and friendly atmosphere.

Angathol
11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking of going. I have family friends in Montreal that I'd like to visit, and their daughter (who's around my age) still goes to the con, as far as I know. :) Montreal is a gorgeous city, and it'll be nice to have a trip to look forward to next year.

MDA
11-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I go to Montréal a few times a year now since my b/f lives there, and I have friends there :) But I make sure to go to Otakuthon~! It's so worth the trip on VIA Rail :) Next year worries me though because I think my friends who I stay with are thinking of getting a hotel for next year >< That'd only add another $70-$80 for me xP

Ani_BEE
11-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Ok it was 10 To Quebec City but your looking at 7 to 8 hours from the Tri-City area to Montreal in bad trafic.

Chibi Lenne
11-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I know me and Jayuna are going this year for sure :) I keep hearing such good things about this con, (and I haven't been to Montreal since I was in grade school)

Though depending on how the job hunt goes I may be moving to Montreal anyway :S

note to self: brush up on my french / relearn EVERYTHING

QuiteVile
11-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I know me and Jayuna are going this year for sure :) I keep hearing such good things about this con, (and I haven't been to Montreal since I was in grade school)

Though depending on how the job hunt goes I may be moving to Montreal anyway :S

note to self: brush up on my french / relearn EVERYTHING

DO WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING. Watch all your favourite shows in French. It works. Kinda

Ani_BEE
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
So my coworker took 6 hours from Guelph on Thursday to drive to Montreal. The traffic was moderate dispite the weather and leaving at 2 pm.