PDA

View Full Version : I wanna keep my curves! Help?

Machine_Sound
10-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey, I've been cosplaying for about 6 years now, but only recently have I become much more serious about it. I try my best to go for accuracy! But sometimes I worry about my weight inhibiting my cosplay choices.

For example I wanted to be Envy from FMA, so I told myself I'd exercise to fit the part. What I wanted was not to loose weight so much but just to tone my body. But I couldn't figure out how to do that.

I like my curves! I don't want to loose them by loosing too much weight, but I don't want them to be flabby and uneven either! I'm one of those people who is in between slim and a bit chubby, you know? I'd like my curves to be smoother, so I was wondering if anyone knew any exercise tips on toning your body so I don't have, for lack of better words, rolls or flab.

Please help! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chocolahime
10-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Well I guess I will start by stating the most obvious. You can't control how your body loses weight/reacts to exercise so whatever curves you have may decide to leave or stay no matter what you are doing.
As for toning people seem to misunderstand and think toning is something different than building muscle. It's the same thing. And the problem is that "toning" without losing weight is pretty useless since you need to lose the weight to show the muscle underneath.
So really start working out and see how you start losing weight. If you think you are losing too much weight then stop, you won't suddenly be a beanpole or weightlifter in the morning :D
Of course my knowledge could very well be flawed so here's hoping some more experienced people come around.

32spartan11
10-23-2010, 12:23 PM
The best way to stay in shape is to have balanced workouts anaerobic exercises such as (weight training and sprints) and cardio training. Girls and women focus more on the cardio aspect. Which is great because its something but often doesn't get people the results they want.

I would suggest starting a weight training program that consists of mainly compound exercises (multi-joint instead of isolation exercises). One of the most important reasons is because building muscles increases metabolism. There is six main compound exercise that anyone looking to stay fit and healthy should base their workouts off of. They are...

1.The Dead lift(Works most of the body)
2.The Squat (Works entire lower body and core)
3.The Pull Up/Lat Pull down (Back/shoulders/arms/core)
4.The Bench Press/Push-up (Works core/chest/shoulders/arms)
5.The Bent over row (Works back, Arms, shoulders, core)
6.The Shoulder(military) Press (Works Shoulders/back/core)

IMO they are listed in the order of most important, though cases can be made to changed the order.

If you need even more information you can check out my blog, I rarely update it but it has a lot of information on it good for gaining or losing weight. For myself I focus on gaining weight because that is my goal. But you can use the information on my blog to lose weight as well by just keeping your caloric intake the same or lowering it. If your looking to maintain weight but look/feel better keeping your caloric intake the same or slightly increase after starting a weight training program should do that.

My Blog
http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/

twitchy_fingers
11-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I found that dancing is the best way to keep fit and keep my curves! You can any type too.
I personally love belly dancing because it's not only exercise, but it's really helped with my confidence levels too (which you need because loads of people watch you in cosplay :))

But definitely try dancing.

Loplod
11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
By having a healthy lifestyle the changes will come naturally. You are not going to lose all the weight instantly nor are you going to bulk up massive ammounts overnight, You should stick to a good diet plan and keep up whatever routine you are doing. Once you hit a point where you look in the mirror and think "This is what I wanted" you can lighten up the routine (so you keep fit, But don't lose your progress!)

Dancing like said above is a good way to keep fit, Any activity/sport is really. As long as you are moving about and getting your body to do things (with correct form).

HomeDepot
11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
As Chocolahime said your curves may disappear or stay depending on your body type, but if you are doing a well balanced weight workout then you might find that you gluteals and your pectorals (the muscles under you butt and breasts) get a bit larger, which will make your breasts and butt look bigger. Emphasis on the balanced workout though. don't spend all your time on bench press and squats! (you probably know this)

Machine_Sound
11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks so much for all the helpful comments! I'll definitely keep them all in mind :)