PDA

View Full Version : Post Blizzcon 2010 photos and stories!

Idmaif
10-24-2010, 02:54 AM
hey everyone! I have to say it was great meeting you all and seeing everyones costumes!

this thread is for anyone who wants to share pictures and stories of things that happened this weekend!

I can't say much right now but I'll edit this later. here's one story though:
me and my friend were trying to get passed security to get into the con. the guard stopped us to check our weapons. she feels them and says "these are too hard, you can't bring this in, take it back to your car (right after the 30 minute line to get in) so we were both like fml. so I said "let's just go try a different door!" so we did and the guys let us in right away haha :D

Pyoska
10-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Oooooo!

This is the only picture I've gotten loaded so far- I'm too sleepy to do the rest. But it is pretty much the greatest picture of me and my husband at BlizzCon!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2748468/

My goodness, as soon as he started climbing those stairs, the cameras in the line behind us came OUT. My hubby looked so good up there!

Fiendle
10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
I was Lady Deathwhisper.

As I've said, I was really rushed to put my costume together at the last minute, and I was terribly worried that it either would not be wearable, or it would be extremely awkward to look at. x.x I went for three days without sleep prior to the con, and I even had to leave the convention center and finish my headpiece and chain attachment right before the contest, so I missed the photo shoot! :( I'm so glad that it got to a finished state, but I feel really disappointed for missing that. But it does give me some consolation seeing as I got to chat with many of you either backstage or at the meet ups. All of the costumes I saw were gorgeous, and it was nice to see that there weren't too many duplicates. I even got a chance to talk for quite awhile with Kel'Thuzad from last year. He walked by and complimented my costume after the con and I was like, "Hey, I recognize you from last year, I was Grand Widow!" XD And he totally remembered me too. Liches for life.

On day on, prior to the contest, without the headpiece, veil, and chains, nobody recognized what I was supposed to be. And even after I had the full attire on I got tons of compliments on how amazing my costume was, but many people still didn't know who I was. But that's what you get for dressing as an unpopular character and taking artistic license with it. xD I still had fun.

I dressed up for the very end of day 2, since I had seen most of what I wanted to see, and felt my costume needed more floor time in the finished state. :P I hung out at the Hilton party which, thankfully, I found a group of several of you to chill with, between being attacked by beer-breath drunkards. xD It was fun actually getting to chat with some people, although one guy took it a little far kissing my hand and getting less than 6 inches from my face... Thank you Leslie for stepping in and saving me. I don't drink, dress up or get out much, and I try to be polite to everyone, so I'm not used to being in such settings and dealing with creepers. :S

My feet are so swollen from those shoes right now. I was so in love with how they looked, but boy were they painful. Hopefully they were worth it for the full costume effect.

I sadly have no pictures of my costume, since I didn't bring a camera. :( So if anyone else got any or finds some, I would love to have them. :)

Also as a note unrelated to costumes, I got to play through the whole Diablo III demo, and the double rainbow at the end made me happy. XD

Aleze
10-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I was Lady Deathwhisper.
I didn't even realize that it was you who I was talking to backstage. :o I really liked your costume.

I only started working on my costume 4 weeks ago, so I hardly slept at all this week; between 1 and 5 hours each night. I barely made it to the convention on time after having to convince my instructors to let me leave the last day of class early. Then once I tried putting the costume on, I had a total glue/foam surface incapability and most of my velcro feel off. I was ready to give up . . . but somehow my friends managed to tape and pin all the pieces to me.

But it was so fun going on stage. :D I'd never done it before and I may never do it again, so it was potentially once in a lifetime. All the stilt people should really take the stairs though. Ramps and stilts don't mix.

And, looking at the video, I am disappointed with my stilts. You can totally see where my toes are. Guess design just gets sacrificed when I'm scrambling at the last minute.

Skylin
10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
After seeing the priest sets from last year at blizzcon I decided to try the whole going to blizzcon in costume. First time ever doing something like this and I had tons of fun. Didn't even think about checking the forums here and the blizzcon section of the WoW forums. Next year I'll defiantly look for meetup details/plans.

Anyways, I need to try to track down some people that took my pictures during blizzcon, but here are two quick ones I have on hand.

Thanks WoW Insider :D
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2491/p1020358r.jpg

and

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8395/pic0012v.jpg

Maryssa
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Oooh love that shadow picture!
I already posted in the progress thread about the con but I'll repeat here that you are all SO talented and awesome!!!

Edalyne
10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I had so much fun! It was great finally getting to meet some of you :) My costume chest piece was too small and just shaped incorrectly, so it kept popping up in the belly area (making me look square and fat lol). I also had 4 straps on my thighs and one of them fell off while i was walking off the stage!!! Other than those costume issues, Blizzcon was amazing and I had a wonderful time cosplaying for the first time! I can't wait to make another costume, I'm totally doing it again for next year. :D

\Skylin, that shadow picture is way neat!

Tonksie
10-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I had such an awesome time!!! Everyone's costumes looked so fantastic and I was just really amazed

Grats to the winners of the costume contest!!! I <3'd everyone's costumes and am so glad I never have to judge a contest like that.

My fiance put a bunch of pictures he took up on his facebook page. A bunch of you are in them! http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=242888&id=841284833

Hopefully that works, if not, I'll try to match up who goes with which picture and send the links out.

Reformed Tomboy
10-25-2010, 01:21 AM
My fiance put a bunch of pictures he took up on his facebook page. A bunch of you are in them! http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=242888&id=841284833

Wow, thanks for sharing. There are some really great ones in there.

Eva Xgouki
10-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Another year, another BlizzCon has come to a (reluctant) end. I will say that this year's Day 1 was a lot more bearable then last year. The fans that I installed into Hogger helped sooo much in keeping the internal temperature bearable. Wasn't cool but didn't get overly hot. One of them did die due to a connection failure but thankfully that was at the end of the day after the contests were over.

It was great to see everyone in costumes at the gathering and for the contest :) . I was a bit amazed that there were some that did remember that I did the Tree of Life last year :thumbsup: . All the water loss and headache from my head supporting the bulk of Hogger was worth it. Also many thanks to my gf for having to follow me due to lack of sight and mobility <3. Now just need to hunt down pics of myself as I really had no way to take pics with those massive hands :thumbsup: .

Day 2 was a lot more relaxed wearing my SC2 Matt Horner uniform. Though don't think as many people recognized me that day, lol.

Oh and definitely want to give huge props to the contest winners this year!

Tonksie
10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing. There are some really great ones in there.

You're welcome (I say this like I did anything but link his album, lol)! He loved your costume, so he got a bunch of pics of you. He also loved Lil's Sprite Darter too! He just thought you two in particular were super creative :)

AnimeGamer
10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I could make a long winding post about how awesome my BlizzCon experience was, but I'll just leave these here instead:

BlizzCon Day 1 (http://fatallycurious.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-1-is-in-wraps-for-most-part-though.html)
BlizzCon Day 2 (http://fatallycurious.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-after-blizzcon-2010.html)

And my photos are now up. Link is in my signature below.

Idmaif
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I could make a long winding post about how awesome my BlizzCon experience was, but I'll just leave these here instead:

BlizzCon Day 1 (http://fatallycurious.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-1-is-in-wraps-for-most-part-though.html)
BlizzCon Day 2 (http://fatallycurious.blogspot.com/2010/10/day-after-blizzcon-2010.html)

And my photos are now up. Link is in my signature below.

awesome! I found a picture of my costume on the Internet! better than last year! :D haha I suck at this stuff compared to most everyone else here

I posted my blizzcon story here: http://forum.blizzcon2010.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=656&p=4957#p4957

Pyoska
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Here is a link to all of the pics I took! I got a lot of you, but not all, sadly. Feel free to tag yourselves, if you wish!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2080052&id=1548907390&l=19852b3af8

LilLadyBug
10-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi guys!!

This is the first chance I've had to sit down and breathe a little. I want to thank you guys for everything, I seriously had SUCH a blast this weekend and I have a lot of you to thank for it. Let's see - stories!!

My husband was able to track down Samwise just before he took the stage at the artist exhibition and I went all fangirl and had him sign my wings! Then, after the costume contest, a very sweet friend took me by the hand and had me get a picture with him. It was Sam's concept art of the sprite darter that my costume was based on, so that was pretty damn amazing.

I had a great time talking with a bunch of people backstage, but Fiendle, you were SO awesome. I had a blast with you!

I guess my biggest story is just the whole first day. I'll be the first to admit, I was concerned about the costume's reception at the con, but seriously, walking through the main hall, looking for seats for the opening ceremony was all it took to shed all of my doubts. There was just a ripple of people saying "OMG, it's a sprite darter", "Oh wow, that's so cool" and at the very least, I knew I did okay. I never had any grand plans of winning the costume contest, I was just happy that people knew who I was and I even got a couple of squees out of the players. That was totally enough for me. The boy was so happy with how everything went, he wants to cosplay next year as well! Looks like we'll have our work cut out for us! (and yes, as long as I have tickets, the sprite will return next year for day 2 :D)

And Tonksie - OMG - your boy got some amazing shots!! Well done! (and I'm TOTALLY blushing that he was into the costume - that wing shot is spectacular!)

Amalaa
10-26-2010, 03:02 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalaa/sets/72157625243976260/

not every single picture I took yet as it seems to only let me upload only a certain amount for free >.< lamesauce..

best story besides meeting and catching up with some of you was that I won a spectral tiger in the Cryptozoic League play!!! (yes, I'm an actual regular tcger and not in it "for the lootz") and that a few people recognized me from last year!

Falinadin
10-26-2010, 03:47 AM
I had an amazing time at Blizzcon! My costume went over very well, and in the end I'm very glad that I picked a harder cosplay and put in the time and effort (I was the night elf in druid t3 with atiesh).
One of my favorite moments was just as I stepped out of my hotel, and there was this little little girl there whose parents were unloading their car. Her eyes got huge and she smiled and waved at me... it was the cutest thing ever!!
My other favorite would be at the beginning of the closing ceremony when they played the recap video... and showed me saying "night elf druid is ready for Blizzcon 2010"... I was so shocked!

There were so many great costumes there, and I feel like I made some great friends too while chatting with other cosplayers. I'm already thinking about next year!

Idmaif
10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
so who else got taken backstage for a video interview with blizzard.com? this guy comes up to me and says "hey! you mind coming backstage and be interviewed for blizzard.com?" so he took me up to this room backstage and then I told him I was with my dad so he told me to find him and he came with me too because they were saying something about families who went to blizzcon together.

krystlejo42
11-02-2010, 11:02 AM
so who else got taken backstage for a video interview with blizzard.com? this guy comes up to me and says "hey! you mind coming backstage and be interviewed for blizzard.com?" so he took me up to this room backstage and then I told him I was with my dad so he told me to find him and he came with me too because they were saying something about families who went to blizzcon together.

I was interviewed... but I never saw the videos..

Here are the photos I have from Cosplaying at Blizzcon. I apologize. There are a lot of photos from the roadtrip and Carlsbad caverns before it gets to the cosplay photos.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=242888&id=841284833#!/album.php?aid=2131486&id=70301213

Pyoska
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM
My husband and I did an interview for Direct TV. We have no idea if it got used or not, they had to reshoot it 3 times because they couldn't figure out what they wanted us to say. Anyone out there watch the Direct TV version and see us saying something about being 'Geeks to the Extreme'?

LilLadyBug
11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I did a couple of interviews too. One for a youtube channel just before the opening ceremony (with Phaedra from the forums) and one with direct TV while we were waiting backstage for the costume contest. I haven't seen the video of either of them. LOL

Pocket X
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
did anyone get interviewed by PCGamer? I have yet to see clips from that either. Hmm.

snarkie
11-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I finally got my photos up. Sadly, I wasn't able to get everyone at the fountain. =/ But some of you are there!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkie/sets/72157625138894897/

Pocket X
11-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I finally got my photos up. Sadly, I wasn't able to get everyone at the fountain. =/ But some of you are there!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkie/sets/72157625138894897/

Oooo great pictures of my husband! Thank you!

birdyface
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
did anyone get interviewed by PCGamer? I have yet to see clips from that either. Hmm.

I also was interviewed by PCGamer, and no word on that yet either. Maybe it was just a couple of guys with some nice camera gear pretending to be PCGamer? *shrug*

birdyface
11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Finally got access to the photos my husband took at Blizzcon:Here (http://www.ultramaticorange.com/all.php?dir=../web_images/BlizzCon%202010&ppr=3&width=250&height=250)
I'm glad I told him to get photos of other people, I didn't want a photo album of just my costume x_x;

It was such a strange experience, getting stopped so often and being asked for photos with people. This was my first ever cosplay at a convention, and it was nice to meet some of the people from this community. :) I think I'm hooked and hope to see more of you next time around.

snarkie
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Oooo great pictures of my husband! Thank you!

Is he the Monk? I think that first one of him is my favourite of all the photos I took. :)

Pocket X
11-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Is he the Monk? I think that first one of him is my favourite of all the photos I took. :)

Yep that's him, you actually got a good one of him smiling. :)

Eva Xgouki
11-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Wonder when the pics that were taken backstage will be released...

moldycheese
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
This was my first time ever going to blizzcon or making a costume for anything and I had such a blast!!!! This is also my first time posting on the forums, but I definitely lurked during my costume making process for tips and techniques =P

It was great meeting some of you throughout blizzcon, especially on Friday.

I loved how being in costume the first day made for such a unique and completely different experience than the second day (where I could actually experience the con and not have it take an hour to walk anywhere haha)

Oh, and I would totally make a costume again...so fun ^_^d

Fiendle
11-05-2010, 01:36 AM
This was my first time ever going to blizzcon or making a costume for anything and I had such a blast!!!! This is also my first time posting on the forums, but I definitely lurked during my costume making process for tips and techniques =P

I loved how being in costume the first day made for such a unique and completely different experience than the second day (where I could actually experience the con and not have it take an hour to walk anywhere haha)

I loved your costume, great job for it being a first time project and glad you had fun! :D Shame I didn't get a chance to tell you in person. Your staff was pretty nice, what did you make it from?

And yes, there's definitely a difference between being in costume and not. When in costume, you can't go anywhere without people stopping you. When not, it's hard to get people's attention even if you try. XD Then again, I'm shy and don't like to intrude on other people. :P

Thanks for coming out of lurking to say hi. Don't feel intimidated to post in the future. ;)

Pocket X
11-05-2010, 01:39 AM

You did an awesome job on your costume. Glad you had fun, me too. :)

moldycheese
11-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Your staff was pretty nice, what did you make it from?

thanks =)
i did the expanding foam over cardboard technique that i stumbled across in a cosplay blog and then carved that and covered with paper mache. In retrospect i should have used paper clay or something to give a thickness that I could have sanded for a smoother surface, but I was running out of time (i totally didn't sleep for 3 days straight prior to blizzcon). the "glowy part" which looked waaaaay better in the dark was fibre optic lights cut at different lengths with cotton stuffing stuff around it.

oh, here's a link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielmacgibbon/sets/72157625224384994/) to my husband's blizzcon album that has several of you in it too =)

Fiendle
11-06-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks =)
(i totally didn't sleep for 3 days straight prior to blizzcon).

OMG I'm so glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that did this. XD

I think I'll definitely have to try this expanding foam technique, it seems to get really good results for being so cheap. What tools did you find work best for the initial foam carving? I own a Dremel, but would buying a hot knife be better? Or something else?

The fiber optic parts looked really good, and I've actually been considering doing something similar if/when I get into lighting, so glad to see that it worked out. :D

moldycheese
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I think I'll definitely have to try this expanding foam technique, it seems to get really good results for being so cheap. What tools did you find work best for the initial foam carving? I own a Dremel, but would buying a hot knife be better? Or something else?

expanding foam is soooo easy to carve. i only used 2 untility knives (a larger one for the majority, and small one for tight areas). I don't even think you'd need anything else. However, it's pretty squishy, so putting paper mache over it or something seemed to a be a must. if you want to see my staff progress work, you can check out my costume blog (http://moldypicklelatte.blogspot.com) which also has a link to the flickr i used for progress pics. i kept the blog for wow friends who wanted to see what i was working on, but totally neglected it in the last week when it was crunch time =P

my shoulders, on the other hand, i carved from pink insulation foam and i didn't want to invest in expensive tools so i used a 10 dollar meat carver (and have a scar on my thumb knuckle from that now to prove it!) and metal rasp/file. i can definitely see how a hot knife and/or dremel would help with denser foam! maybe in the future ;D

i don't think i really saw your costume up close this year, but from what i did see it looked fantastic =) i also remember after blizzcon last year being in awe of your sewing work (after previous blizzcons i always googled costumes hehe)

Idmaif
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
so has anyone seen any video interviews with any of the people there at blizzcon?
i must have been interviewed at least 5 times, i just want to see if any of them made it online. some of them were really funny, this guy from PCGamers i think it was was like "there must be some kind of detection here around blizzcon because i am looking at a dark templar right here!"

dbchan
11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I was interviewed by something called Electric Playground and one other I can't recall the name of.

Did anyone else get interviewed by the guy with the british accent? I can't even google if i don't remember the name. haha.

It was awesome to see you all!

Idmaif
11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
i will just be posting all of the videos with cosplayers in it from blizzcon 2010 that im sure you could find them all yourselves easy enough but just to organize them

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/8083781/Fans-gather-in-California-for-BlizzCon-2010.html

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfg4pl_blizzcon-2010-plenty-of-mods-and-jiggling-bods_news

http://www.ocregister.com/video/?lineupId=1125998380&play=now&videoId=645538929001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWP2RWGvDIc

http://g4tv.com/videos/49762/BlizzCon-2010-Cosplay-All-Access/

krystlejo42
11-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks for sharing!

I also found this one on electric playground

http://www.elecplay.com/watch/20/266/2/11