PDA

View Full Version : Hetalia Revolutionary War Musket Help

scdshuton
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I need help making it, i have no idea where to start or how to make it safe for a convention. Its the one in Hetalia when the Revolutionary War happens between England and America. Please help me.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/H0eX0zTHcqY/0.jpg
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oOOJB1L+L._AA280_.jpg

Zil
10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi there! Could we maybe see a reference pic? I'm familiar with the show but there's no way I remember what it looks like :)

scdshuton
10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi there! Could we maybe see a reference pic? I'm familiar with the show but there's no way I remember what it looks like :)

Oh sorry about that, i put some up.

ubercaledor
10-24-2010, 09:29 PM
The barrel would probably be where I'd start, as you could make it out of carboard or PVC or something, just a firm tube which you could use as reinforcement for the rest of the structure. I'd build out an armature in wire for the stock, and then build up with sculpey or paperclay (depending on how much weight you can carry) You could probably build the basic shape with paper mache or foam if you needed that extra lightness.

I would probably recommend leaving the bayonette off for conventions, I can't think of a method of building a bayonette that would yield one that looks realistic and also con-safe. You COULD make it detachable like in your second ref pic, if you wanted it for photos outside a con setting.

The hardest part would be the flintlock, your first stop would be getting lots and lots of reference pictures, trying to work out how to sculpt it. Otherwise if you had big bucks, it would look fantastic if you did a lost-wax cast XD, but that would be a- expensive and b-heavy.

But yeah, as far as where to start, I'd say start with the barrel, measure to proportion for you and then go from there.

scdshuton
10-24-2010, 09:40 PM
The barrel would probably be where I'd start, as you could make it out of carboard or PVC or something, just a firm tube which you could use as reinforcement for the rest of the structure. I'd build out an armature in wire for the stock, and then build up with sculpey or paperclay (depending on how much weight you can carry) You could probably build the basic shape with paper mache or foam if you needed that extra lightness.

I would probably recommend leaving the bayonette off for conventions, I can't think of a method of building a bayonette that would yield one that looks realistic and also con-safe. You COULD make it detachable like in your second ref pic, if you wanted it for photos outside a con setting.

The hardest part would be the flintlock, your first stop would be getting lots and lots of reference pictures, trying to work out how to sculpt it. Otherwise if you had big bucks, it would look fantastic if you did a lost-wax cast XD, but that would be a- expensive and b-heavy.

But yeah, as far as where to start, I'd say start with the barrel, measure to proportion for you and then go from there.

WOW! Thank you sooo much. I really appreciate it. ^^ This really helps.

Zil
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Ubercaledor makes some great points. You definitely are gonna need some kind of dowel/pvc pipe through the barrel to make sure it doesn't snap in two on you. You might think about using good old pink insulation foam. That with a dowel inside would give you the neccessary strength. Insulation foam is easily sanded, and that would enable you to to form the stock into that molded-to-the-shoulder shape without having to worry about connecting it as a separate piece. There's tutorial/compilation of tips on how to use insulation foam in one of the Prop Tutorial stickies if you have questions about the material.

If you can't get a hold of insulation foam, then I'm sure cardboard would work just fine. I just like making props like this in one piece; I have bad experiences with putting props together out of a couple bits. I know some people have a hard time getting it though :/

scdshuton
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Ubercaledor makes some great points. You definitely are gonna need some kind of dowel/pvc pipe through the barrel to make sure it doesn't snap in two on you. You might think about using good old pink insulation foam. That with a dowel inside would give you the neccessary strength. Insulation foam is easily sanded, and that would enable you to to form the stock into that molded-to-the-shoulder shape without having to worry about connecting it as a separate piece. There's tutorial/compilation of tips on how to use insulation foam in one of the Prop Tutorial stickies if you have questions about the material.

If you can't get a hold of insulation foam, then I'm sure cardboard would work just fine. I just like making props like this in one piece; I have bad experiences with putting props together out of a couple bits. I know some people have a hard time getting it though :/

thank you so much! this seems kinda hard...hehehe