PDA

View Full Version : Hetalia Portrait

Snyder
10-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for viewing, fairly simple lighting setup one flash reflecting off a gold reflector and one flash rim lighting her and of course the sun.

http://images.cosplay.com/photos/27/2749214.jpg

Blasteh
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll skip the sun since I can't tell where it is and how it's affecting your image. Your shadows do look very dark in daylight. (you've probably over-powered the sun with the strobes)

I can see the main light coming from low-camera-right; despite it being bounced off a reflector, it is still a very harsh light. Since it is a very tightly cropped portrait, you could try bringing it in closer to get a larger relative light source.
It is also at a very low angle which creates uplighting; which isn't very flattering.

Your rim light looks relatively cool compared to the main light which makes the thing look completely mismatched.

There is a very dark shadow cast across her face, some fill light would be useful or reposition your main light so it's at less of an extreme angle.

The hand coming in to the frame out of nowhere is a bit odd. A portrait doesn't have to be shot in portrait orientation, a landscape orientation could work too, then you could see her arm.

What was the reason for using the gold reflector? the portrait is very isolated from the environment so it just looks yellow/golden for no reason.

Snyder
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
The gold reflector mimics that golden hour of sunrise/sunset giving the subject a nice warm glow. I normally shoot 1-2 stops more than available light to give the subject more seperation from the background and make the subject pop. My goal was to make beautiful dramatic lighting. I do agree the hand does bother me aswell.

brucer007
10-25-2010, 06:35 PM
The end result does not have a warm, sunset effect. You may have had your camera set to automatic color balance. If so, this could have caused the warm colors to nuetralize, reducing the warmth and also causing more blue in the rim light. Rim lights tend to look a bit blue on skin, even when the light sources are the same color.

The reflector was at a low angle, which could have been more flattering if her face was angled down, or if the reflector was brought higher. Turning her face towards the reflector would bring more light on her right eye. The rim light shinning on her nose is distracting. Turning her head away from the rim light, or moving the rim light more behind her would solve that.

I recommend when you bounce your flash, try the white side of a reflector for a softer, more natural light. If you want to warm it up, add an orange CTO gel over the flash, and set your white balance to shade, flash, sunlight, or cloudy setting.

Your subject does seperate well from the background, when there is enough brighness behind her, but her hair blends into the dark background. You could clone some blurred tree leaves in behind her hair.