PDA

View Full Version : The mental/spiritual aspect

saiyamanmasenko
10-26-2010, 10:26 AM
‎"One must first believe. Then, one must have great faith in one's owan abilities . . . Faith is the source of all power. Strong bodies and grand ideas are born of it . . . Faith is the foundation of all things. But faith is a difficult thing for human beings. Faced with the unknown faith is fragile. However strong a pe...rson is he must work hard to keep faith from flagging . . .Where one's strength of spirit is what matters an unwavering faith is everything."
--Mikihisa, Shaman King ch. 102

I hadn't seen many people really address anything other than workouts and nutrition (both very important, of course. But I am curious to know what sort of things people do to mentally and spiritually prepare for their workouts and help them stay dedicated to their goals. Quotes like the one above help me. I also have recently returned to meditating two or three times a day (for multiple reasons, not the least of which is help lowering my blood pressure).

So what say you all? Is there something you do to prep yourself other than physically? Does anybody else even think it is important? Share some of your experiences and tips.

therob127
10-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Bruce Lee has said many interesting things regarding philosophy and fitness. Not only was he a great martial artist but a great philosopher as well. Here are some examples

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

I feel that if you have a goal you want to achieve, such as an image of yourself you want to look like, keep it in your mind. If you keep your mind's eye set on what you want to look like and put the dedication into reaching it, your body will shape itself to adhere to your image.

Rjr3412
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
One of the things I've always found the most helpful is consistency.

I eat at almost the same times each day.
I arrive at the gym at about the same time each day.

I plan out ahead what I will do, follow that plan, and know I don't need to worry about doing this or that now, if I know I will be doing it then.

I've had coworkers tease me when I start lunch a minute or two later than usual, lol. Might seem a little OCD but when trying to build a habit, repetition is key.

Loplod
10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
One of the things I've always found the most helpful is consistency.
repetition is key.

It might be good for you, But to get the most out of your body you may want to shake things up. If you body knows when it is going to work out every day It will start saving energy and getting ready in advance. Which can be bad if A) You don't work out one day. Or B) if you are trying to cut. Because the body will not use as much energy.

As for me: spiritual? Nope.. Not really at all..
Mental: I lock myself in a room. And I listen to hardcore trance and house music. then I hit the gym like the fist of a furious angry Greek war god! :drink: