PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory gun-jumping Blizzcon 2011 brainstorming thread

LalaFTL
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I saw Pyoska and Idmaif had already made some posts regarding costumes for next year and, on the long car ride home, I also started making a mental list of possibilities for next year.

Next year, my spouse wants me to actually start early so we can both wear costumes (and not be working on them the very morning of the con *ahem* >_>), so I am trying to come up with some decent pair costume ideas. I'm guessing after Alice and Essex's awesome witch doctors that there will probably be quite a few Diablo pairs out there but we've already stuck barbarians on the list of possibilities; I am leaning heavily towards this because it would mean I don't need a wig or bodypaint (lol) and the female version at least, going by the concept art, would be a great starter project for armor-making for me.

The only other idea I've come up with that I like enough to mention would be the Maiev/Akama combo I was considering last year. This would be considerably harder but I've yet to see an Akama and it would be neat to be unique.

What are some other ideas people have been tossing around?

And I am totally booking at the Hilton next year, lol.

Tonksie
10-26-2010, 08:32 PM
oh man, I promised myself I wasn't going to even think about costuming for at least 3 months, and then today, an idea popped into my head. It's not fully fleshed out yet, but I can't seem to get the idea out of my head.
Here's the thing though, it would be an original character based on an in-game character. It wouldn't be recognizable, but has the potential (with a LOT of hard work and dedication) to be awesome.
What do you guys think about something like that for Blizzcon, where the cosplay tends to be more specific characters/armor sets?

Oh, I'm also going to do this, possibly for day 2 (if you want to see the current model, click view in 3d) http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=49893 . Because, well... it's me, afterall.

P.S. Lala- You looked really hot as Fem-Illidan! I was like DAMN, I wish I looked like that!

SvK
10-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Can you be more specific than 'Something you won't recognize but could be awesome'? That's very vague.

Maryssa
10-26-2010, 09:05 PM
QoB Kerrigan is my plan. But it's going to take a crap-ton of help from my friends.

Edit: LOL Tonksie, that's awesome to go as your NPC. I could go as Emeriss but it would be JUST A BIT trickier :p

Amalaa
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Tonks!

you should totally go as yourself!!! that would be awesome!!!!!!! and Candy Vendor??!! haha, if you don't I will! ;p

Idmaif
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I was just going to copy and paste that post again but I think everyone got the message lol... high Templar then archon

Nozze
10-27-2010, 12:19 AM
QFT about Lala looking hot. No lie lol.

I'm going to finish Ysera and do it right, then maybe work on a fanart-inspired medic from StarCraft.

Maryssa - Pleeease do Infested Kerrigan. I can't believe someone hasn't actually gone through with it yet. The model at the nVidia booth looked okay, but the pink and brown hurt my eyes. She's on my dream list but I'm not even going to try it until I have more experience.

Fiendle
10-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Next year, my spouse wants me to actually start early so we can both wear costumes (and not be working on them the very morning of the con *ahem* >_>)...

And I am totally booking at the Hilton next year, lol.

Haven't put much thought on a costume yet, but I'm definitely going to be something that I don't have to make entire pieces (read: wire skirt and several half finished garments) in my hotel. It was a small miracle I actually got the whole costume back in my original suitcase, it only took me 2+ hours of playing tetris with it. So either something simple or easy to fold up, or we're buying a big car and taking a road trip (which as far as the car goes is a high possibility already).

My boyfriend refuses to dress up, so I'll either be a solo costume, or grouped if I find someone else willing to dress up with me. I'm always somewhat partial to bosses or less popular characters, so we'll see.

It would be awesome to stay at the Hilton, but that will likely still be out of my budget. ^^;

And I agree with everyone else, fem-Illidan was super sexy. Good job!

QoB Kerrigan is my plan. But it's going to take a crap-ton of help from my friends.

Edit: LOL Tonksie, that's awesome to go as your NPC. I could go as Emeriss but it would be JUST A BIT trickier :p

I didn't realize you had a Candy Vendor named after you, Lisa! xD And is Emeriss a play on your name, Marissa, or am I missing something? In any case, I am still waiting to see a worthy Kerrigan. You definitely have the figure for it, now you just need the several thousand dollars for materials and molding skills to make the pieces. If I lived in So-Cal and you funded the materials, I would LOVE to do some of the sculpts for your molds, and the painting once they were cast. I'm not very experienced with pouring molds, but I would have been happy to learn that too. But since I'm not in the area, I'll just send my best wishes. Good luck finding the help! :D

gun2yoface
10-27-2010, 07:22 AM
i will be going as infested Kerrigan for the next blizzcon, i am so excited! I was supposed to go this year as her but we couldn't finish in time and i didn't want to put something out that I rushed since I have been working so hard for the past year on her.

it's so fun to hear of other people already brainstorming for next year :)

Reformed Tomboy
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm going to finish Ysera and do it right....

Same. My costume actually wasn't how I wanted it to be. I plan on redoing the boots (which no one ended up seeing), and maybe the tail. And the dress. Ugh, broken sewing machine FTL. Next year I won't be eligible to win anymore, so I'll just be redoing/adding stuff for fun.

Though the boy wants to do Mal or a druid to match, so we'll probably start working on that..

LalaFTL
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Haha, thank you, guys! <3 Alas, I think being topless is part of the reason I'm sick, gah.

I would love to see a properly-done infested Kerrigan. Will take alot of money and work but it would be one of those costumes that just blows people away if done right. Good luck, ladies. :D (Hoping you post some progress shots!)

@Fiendle - Yeah, we drove from Arizona, but we still ended up playing Tetris in the trunk of the Camaro with wings, wig heads, and bags of stuff I needed to finish working on them. >< Never again! ...I say this but I'd also like to do a full set of AQ40 armor sometime, and I'm sure that won't fit in a tiny box. ><

@Tonksie - Awesome!! :D Will you be handing out candies in a basket...? Lol, people might end up hunting you down multiple times in a day if you do something like that. :D

Maryssa
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Fiendle your bone arms were so awesome, I may have to pick your brain a little for tips :D Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year!

And yeah Emeriss was named after me :p One of my best friends used to work at Blizz.

LilLadyBug
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Boy and I are also in planning mode. He has decided that he would like to cosplay..but I think right now he wants to keep it to himself, so I'll just say it's from the diablo universe and if he/we can pull it off, it will be pretty amazing.

For me, since his will be so much work, I'm thinking of doing a tier set. There should be no freaky mechanics to worry about, which means I can just focus on sewing and layering.

By popular request, the sprite darter will come back on day 2. :)

Idmaif
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Same. My costume actually wasn't how I wanted it to be. I plan on redoing the boots (which no one ended up seeing), and maybe the tail. And the dress. Ugh, broken sewing machine FTL. Next year I won't be eligible to win anymore, so I'll just be redoing/adding stuff for fun.

Though the boy wants to do Mal or a druid to match, so we'll probably start working on that..

lol don't complain that it wasn't perfect! it was good enough to get you 1,000$

Maryssa
10-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Doesn't mean she can't be particular in how she still wants it to look :p

Edalyne
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM

You won't be eligible to win anymore? Did blizz state if you win one year you can't win again? Cuz I remember that one girl won 2 years in a row...

Reformed Tomboy
10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
lol don't complain that it wasn't perfect! it was good enough to get you 1,000$

I'm not complaining, just particular. ;)

You won't be eligible to win anymore? Did blizz state if you win one year you can't win again? Cuz I remember that one girl won 2 years in a row...

I won't be eligible for other reasons. One should be able to guess, but if you're really curious pm me, it's not something I can just talk about openly.

Edalyne
10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking of doing another rogue set. I love working with leather and learned alot, so I want to apply that to my next major cosplay. I'm thinking of Netherblade or Deathmantle. Though I prefer the shoulders/mask to Deathmantle, I prefer everything else about Netherblade (I also actually owned the entire set in game back in the day...I only owned like 2 pieces of Deathmantle...). I also like that Netherblade looks more feminine too. Hmmm.

Fiendle
10-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Fiendle your bone arms were so awesome, I may have to pick your brain a little for tips :D Can't wait to see what you come up with for next year!

And yeah Emeriss was named after me :p One of my best friends used to work at Blizz.

Not a problem, send me a PM anytime if you have specific questions or want to fly an idea or progress pic by me. :) I also tried to friend you on Facebook, so hoping I friended the right Marissa, you can send me notes there too.

There are so many dream costumes I would love to make. But due to my lack of experience, I should probably work on simple, more realistic stuff first before being overwhelmed with OMGamazing-piece-of-art-but-I-can't-walk-or-see-and-it-took-3000-hours-and-I-had-to-sell-blood-plasma-for-a-year-to-afford-it costumes. XD Hakkar the Soulflayer, Yogg Saron and Reliquary of Souls are on that dream list (and of course these are also "road trip required" pieces). >.>; My aspirations are always a bit high, and my love of elaborate puppetry such as the work of Jim Henson doesn't help it. In any case, I hope to be able to buy a dress form and my own sewing machine this year so that it's easier to make my clothes. :B I'll probably start small and at least learn how to do LEDs, resin casting and simple latex/silicon molds, hoping I can afford those.

Maryssa
10-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Ahhhh I would love to see a Hakkar!! That was on my list at one time but was just too crazy for me.
I HAD been planning since the first Blizzcon to make C'Thun, and I still have some of the materials for it, but crossed it off my plans when they changed the rules after the turtle mount. I had specifically asked them about it and was told I wouldn't technically be "wearing" it so it was against the rules :(

LalaFTL
10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Should just wear the body as your costume and make guildies/friends wear tentacle costumes, lol.

Edit: Oh god, I just mentioned this to my husband and now he wants to do it, hahahaha.

Fiendle
10-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Ahhhh I would love to see a Hakkar!! That was on my list at one time but was just too crazy for me.
I HAD been planning since the first Blizzcon to make C'Thun, and I still have some of the materials for it, but crossed it off my plans when they changed the rules after the turtle mount. I had specifically asked them about it and was told I wouldn't technically be "wearing" it so it was against the rules :(

Yeah, I figured as much for the "float" costumes. How was your plan to wear C'Thun? I was figuring the overall piece would be a tent-like contraption on wheels, with a torso harness in the middle that I could strap into. I'd wheel around the costume, moving his mouth(s) and turning his tentacles on and off (they'd be wacky waving inflatable tentacle flailing tubes) from the inside. So as far as "floats" go, it's about as much of a float as Kel'Thuzad was, and he managed to both be allowed in the contest and place. :/ [Don't get me wrong, I love Kel'Thuzad! Just talking technicalities.] I thought maybe I could get away with it as dressing up as Valkyr Sara and having someone else walk in the Yogg costume so we'd be a pair. /shrug.

Anyway, that's all still way above my transportation, money, and engineering skills. But just an idea I had in my head. General Vezax would also be a lot of fun, I love the Faceless.

Who knows? If I magically manage to get at LEAST $1500 and am driving down, maybe I'll be able to make Hakkar, Vezax or something similar. xD Man, now I remember how badly I want to do Hakkar... maybe I should just start planning now, even if it takes me 3 years to finish/manage to bring it down. :P

Another idea I had was to make a warlock tier (since they're always so awesome and it's my main), and have a felhound with me. I just think felhounds are adorable and I never see anyone bring one. :P And I'd still love to be Sister Benedron from the figure sets, even though she's been done many times before. Being a priest with a shadowfiend would be really cool if I could manage to make it slightly transparent and glow.

I'm starting to ramble.

Maryssa
10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Should just wear the body as your costume and make guildies/friends wear tentacle costumes, lol.

Edit: Oh god, I just mentioned this to my husband and now he wants to do it, hahahaha.

That is actually exactly what the plan was :) but the way I was making the bodt was more of an "ill be inside it" rather than actually wearing it as a garment so they said no :/

Fiendle
10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
That is actually exactly what the plan was :) but the way I was making the bodt was more of an "ill be inside it" rather than actually wearing it as a garment so they said no :/

Maybe you could just make a very large (maybe about 3 feet wide), elaborate head/shoulder/torso piece that looks like his body, with a black body suit. Definitely not anywhere near as epic, but if you have tons of people being the tentacles, it could be a good "for the lolz" costume. You could even have it double layered, so that you could flip the outer shell down to become your "skirt" and then have his eye exposed. xD

LalaFTL
10-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Boooo, lamesauce. Would still be freaking amazing to see.

Fiendle, I made this thread so we could all ramble on about ideas! :D There's just been so much crap floating through my head (and not the sickness kind, yuck) that it would just be nice to toss around ideas together. It would be neat to see some of the lesser-done, or NEVER-done, costumes and I'd love to help as much as I can if somebody decides to take one on!

Brainstorming is fun. I also love bosses, wish I was pro enough to actually make some of the cooler ones.

EDIT: I already have guildmates who want me to make them Yogg tentacle hats now, lol.

Pyoska
10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I just want to reiterate here that everyone I saw at Blizzcon looked absolutely astounding! I've already started planning my next costume- and realizing that its going to be absolutely insane to do- and I would actually like to dress up with someone. However, I will most likely not be in attendance next year, so I will hold off making any arrangements for matching cosplays until I am sure I'll be there. Go Navy! -grumble- So... if anyone wants to dress up with me at some future BlizzCon, let me know! XD

essex1984
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I would like to state for the record your all crazy for even thinking about the next round of cosplay yet. Take a week off :)

No plans between me and Alice, Couple or not, wow, Diablo, Starcraft, and a wedding to start saving for...... going to be a crazy year.

ohh and on a fun note I am expecting an August 2011 blizzcon if they keep with the pattern... so 10 months to go!!

Tonksie
10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I would like to state for the record your all crazy for even thinking about the next round of cosplay yet. Take a week off :)

No plans between me and Alice, Couple or not, wow, Diablo, Starcraft, and a wedding to start saving for...... going to be a crazy year.

ohh and on a fun note I am expecting an August 2011 blizzcon if they keep with the pattern... so 10 months to go!!

I saw Alice's post on the blizzcon forums and just wanted to say GRATS x 100000000!!!!! How exciting for you two :D

Edalyne
10-28-2010, 01:52 AM
I saw Alice's post on the blizzcon forums and just wanted to say GRATS x 100000000!!!!! How exciting for you two :D

THIS. Congrats guys!! :D

°Kamui°
10-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Maybe I manage it next year to come to Blizzcon again. If there will be a further costume contest or a other chance to win a trip to this awesome convention. o.O
My next costume will be the female demon hunter heavy armor set and druid tier 9 for me and my boyfriend. It's a lot to do, but it's just so much fun to built an armor, so I guess I will be finished very quicky. :)

LalaFTL
10-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Eek, apparently I am behind on my reading but grats on the engagement, Alice and Essex!! <3

Kamui I hope you can make it next year! I think the T9 druid robe is one of my favorite chestpieces in the game (random).

Calomel
10-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I was so disappointed to not get tickets for this year, but it ended up working out. I found out I was pregnant, and bodysuit plus early baby belly wouldn't end well. I've seen the evil cameras can do to a perfectly good costume.

The baby will be here by next year's convention, so I was thinking a hunter and 'pet'. I haven't put much thought into it, but that's what I'm leaning toward.

LilLadyBug
10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Ha! We were thinking about T9 druid over here too. I'm on a corset kick, so why not? LOL

Fiendle
10-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Yes, congrats on the engagement, although I've already told you two how happy I am for it. ^_^

And hypothetically speaking, IF I managed to make Hakkar, would it be better to be a prosthetic piece that fit on my face and moved with it, or would it be better to be a large sculpted helmet type mask that I can easily remove, or a headpiece that sits above my head? Keep in mind I'm only 5 feet tall, and I have a somewhat small head. :P I want it to look awesome, but I also want people to see it. I would love the mouth to move, at least be able to open and rawr like the beast he is, so I'd either have to learn robotics, or hinge jointed mouths... the latter would probably be much easier to learn. Also, I really want my arms to be on his flayer arms so I can swing around his giant scythes like a vicious scyther/raptor. >D But I also want to be able to flap his wing-a-lings wide and proud, and they're on a separate pair of arms. Attachment points at the elbows and some sort of hinged system that works with my arms, or a separate wing mechanism entirely like traditional wings? I'll definitely need to look into learning how wings are done. And as far as his dragging snake tail goes, is that best to be put on wheels, or just dragged and made out of a bottom fabric that won't rip or dirty too much?

Sorry if any of my vocabulary is overly wacky, I get that way when I'm enthusiastic. As I said, these are all hypothetical questions and even if I did make him, it would likely take a year or more to complete to the point I'm satisfied with it.

I was also thinking that while people like to dress up as elves for a simple costume, it would be entertaining to dress up like a crack elf of Silvermoon, hoarding mana crystals, pieces of sentinels and dead mana wyrms. xD Likely a day 2 idea, could be fun in a group for the lolz. We could photo-bomb paid model shots.

Shaylyn
10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Right now I'm just sketching ideas :) I'm looking at the diablo 3 wizard based on the concept art (http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2008/283/diablowizard817_screen.jpg)where she's wearing blue, but altered.

There are a whole lot of WoW things I want to do... but most of them are super out-dated. I'd really like to do something ambitious next year, I just have to battle the nervous feeling I get when I consider the amazing cosplayers I'll be "competing" with >.< I ALREADY feel intimidated and Blizzcon just ended :P

Maryssa
10-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. The bar is so high but that's why I just do what *I* want to do, regardless of the competition. I can only get into making a costume I'm passionate about even if it lacks moving parts and blinking lights. I'd say go for something you know you WANT to make. It will really show in the end.

Also, omg I LOVE the crack-elf idea, lol!!

essex1984
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I love the Hakkar idea, Would be nice to see a ZG boss boss represent. hinged jaws and wings should be pretty easy. Take some insperation from hogger and there is no reason your head has to be in the costumes head.

Any one know how blizzard defines a "puppet"?

LilLadyBug
10-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. The bar is so high but that's why I just do what *I* want to do, regardless of the competition. I can only get into making a costume I'm passionate about even if it lacks moving parts and blinking lights. I'd say go for something you know you WANT to make. It will really show in the end.

^ Totally this. I knew going in that my sprite wouldn't win anything, but I got into it and had a LOT of fun walking around. It may not have been as complex as the other costumes out there, but I got a great reception from everyone at the con. I'm totally going bigger this year, but I don't think anyone has to live up to the cosplay gods and goddesses around here, the crowd loves the effort that all of us put in - from the super complex to the more simple designs.

Fiendle
10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Any one know how blizzard defines a "puppet"?

Not sure. If it was me, I would define a puppet as something that you are inside of, but specifically controlling certain mechanisms or movements, whereas a float is something that you are inside of, but it doesn't really matter whether or not anyone is inside for the visuals and "ooh ahh" effect, aside from the fact that it walks. Summon stone would be float, mailbox would be float, Kel'Thuzad would be closer to a puppet since he had arm movements, but it could easily go further with movement abilities and still be considered a puppet. There are also mechanical puppets made with robotics, some that you manipulate yourself, and others that move on their own. I'm not sure where they place in the spectrum as the turtle mount was closer to this. As I see it, it's really a difference between you are inside the costume, you are controlling the costume, and you are the costume. There are likely various opinions and no clean cut definition.

I agree that while I think it would be absolutely amazing to place, I don't really dress up with the hopes and anticipation of winning. I mostly complete just so that I can make sure people see my effort and hopefully get a couple of people to appreciate it. Because really for me, it's about having fun learning how to make the costume and achieving my personal goals just as much as it is dressing up, if not more. I know I still have a lot of things to learn about costuming before I'd even think it was fair for me to place. :P So yeah, I just choose characters that I think are cool and I think need more love, and have fun being creative. ^^

Alright, unless I think up a cooler idea, crack elf it will be. Probably doesn't help that I've been playing Bioshock and getting influenced by that. XD

Idmaif
10-29-2010, 06:00 PM
yea I was thinking that, blizzard wants costumes, not big statues you cover yourself with. that's probly why they didn't give it to deathwing this year. which I think is cool so you just need good quality, not massive looks. I wouldn't really call some of those monsters a "costume"

Pouffe
10-30-2010, 12:18 AM
yea I was thinking that, blizzard wants costumes, not big statues you cover yourself with. that's probly why they didn't give it to deathwing this year. which I think is cool so you just need good quality, not massive looks. I wouldn't really call some of those monsters a "costume"

Deathwing here!

I don't think I deserved much of anything at all when compared to some of the outfits the finalists came up with. He was *nowhere* near finished when I got up on stage so I'm pretty sure I got marked down for it. There are a lot of things that I would have liked to have spent more time on. I had a huge blip in my schedule back in September because I had "conveniently" forgotten about my portfolio for scholarship consideration at my art school. I had to toss aside the costume and work on my art instead. :( I basically crammed everything in one week before Blizzcon in October (I was still working on him backstage during judging, hah). Regardless, it was a blast getting to meet everyone backstage. Everyone looked amazing!!

IMO, a costume can be defined as anything you wear to disguise yourself as something else, whether that be a creature, machine, or a person. It's a pretty broad category in itself...

catfetus
10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Grats Essex! You guys looked awesome.

Pouffe, the Deathwing was really great! I wish I could have seen more of it but I'm sure it was a huge hassle dragging that thing around :(

As soon as I saw it I started making plans to build a Hunter T11 helmet. http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2010/october/hunter_tier11.jpg
But my problem is that I only like the helmet, I'm not too fond of the rest of the armor :( Right now I am planning to do the full armor (I've never done a full set of armor before) for next year's Blizzcon. But I don't know if, when it comes down to it, I could motivate myself to make such a time consuming costume that I am just "meh" about. However, I am looking forward to only making one costume this year instead of two (Twin Val'kyr)! :D

Synariel
10-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Congrats, Essex and Alice!!
I loved seeing you guys at Blizzcon, and getting pics with you in your adorable Kalec/Tyri costumes. Can't wait for next year, Kamui I really hope you will be able to come! I absolutely love your work.

Fiendle
10-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Deathwing here!

I don't think I deserved much of anything at all when compared to some of the outfits the finalists came up with. He was *nowhere* near finished when I got up on stage so I'm pretty sure I got marked down for it. There are a lot of things that I would have liked to have spent more time on. I had a huge blip in my schedule back in September because I had "conveniently" forgotten about my portfolio for scholarship consideration at my art school. I had to toss aside the costume and work on my art instead. :( I basically crammed everything in one week before Blizzcon in October (I was still working on him backstage during judging, hah). Regardless, it was a blast getting to meet everyone backstage. Everyone looked amazing!!

IMO, a costume can be defined as anything you wear to disguise yourself as something else, whether that be a creature, machine, or a person. It's a pretty broad category in itself...

Well, you still did a pretty good job for putting together most of it in one week. xD It was definitely awesome and good for laughs, even if not quite as epic as you may have hoped it to be. So I'm glad you were able to pull it together enough at the last minute. I was in a similar boat of not being able to work nearly as long as I would have liked due to real life, but at least it got done enough that it wasn't falling off, even if it was missing ~tons~ of details. I had anticipated doing a lot of decorative bead work, and painting the fabric for more color gradients, and some parts didn't even get finished nicely and had to be safety pinned together. >_<

Hopefully your sacrifice means that your portfolio got put together nicely, school is always important. What art program/field are you studying?

And while I agree that a costume can be anything that you are wearing, the whole costume/puppet/float definition was really just for technicalities related to the judging and eligibility for the costume contest, since they specifically say "no floats", but I'm not sure if they define it much further than that.

Pouffe
11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, you still did a pretty good job for putting together most of it in one week. xD It was definitely awesome and good for laughs, even if not quite as epic as you may have hoped it to be. So I'm glad you were able to pull it together enough at the last minute. I was in a similar boat of not being able to work nearly as long as I would have liked due to real life, but at least it got done enough that it wasn't falling off, even if it was missing ~tons~ of details. I had anticipated doing a lot of decorative bead work, and painting the fabric for more color gradients, and some parts didn't even get finished nicely and had to be safety pinned together. >_<

Hopefully your sacrifice means that your portfolio got put together nicely, school is always important. What art program/field are you studying?

And while I agree that a costume can be anything that you are wearing, the whole costume/puppet/float definition was really just for technicalities related to the judging and eligibility for the costume contest, since they specifically say "no floats", but I'm not sure if they define it much further than that.

Thanks! ;D

Gosh, it was so embarrassing going up on stage with so many! unfinished areas visible. I actually ran out of black foamies at one point (Michaels/Joann's ran out!) and had to use a rainbow of different colors as a substitute. I underestimated the amount I needed by *a lot* and didn't have time to order more black rolls online by Blizzcon. Painting each scale black took FOREVER. It was a rush to make the front legs at 3 pm in the afternoon on Friday as well. I had to settle for "clawed boots" instead, haha. I want to work on a complete redesign of Deathwing at some point in time but I swore to myself that I would never make something that big again… for now. :p

I loved your costume! I was hoping someone would make Lady Deathwhisper this year.. you looked spot on. I'm sure a million people have already told you this but the hands look awesome. xD

Well, I got into the Entertainment Design program (basically concept art) at Art Center in Pasadena for Spring 2011. I got a letter that came with my financial aid package back in May about an additional portfolio review for Spring termers. I totally forgot about it until I re-opened up the letter in mid September so I could figure out student loans. I had been working on carving Deathwing's body at that point (slowly but surely) and was hoping to finish the bulk of the costume that month.. I squeezed in enough time during the last two weeks to redesign a couple of pieces from my entry portfolio. The reward letters will be sent out in a month; I hope I got something for it, even if it's small. Art school is wayyyyy too expensive. :/

Yeah, I remember the rules stated that you were eligible if you were "wearing" it, but not "riding it", aka mounts. I wish they'd post the rules earlier so people with elaborate costumes can have more time to work on their project without worrying about getting disqualified. I sent an email to the blizzconcontest address but I've yet to get a reply (it's probably too late :<).

Tonksie
11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I think I'm definitely going to go with Lisa McKeever <Candy Vendor> for day one. It should be fairly simple, but I can do a lot of fun things with it. NO SHOULDERS makes me happy, lol. I'm going to stick with the in-game look mostly, but make it slightly more victorian (natural form), rather than the semi victorian/ ren faire look that it's got going on now (I really hate the low back in the model). Yay for actually having patterns this year!

Unless of course I think of something really awesome that's way out of my difficulty level again >.<

I've got kind of a fun plan for day 2 next year, but I would love it if some people wanted to join me. I'm going to try to do some sketches to nail down the designs in my head, but basically it would be steamy/burlesque (and female) versions of the 5 aspects, Malygos, Ysera, Alexstrasza, Nozdormu, and of course, Deathwing. I could do it alone as either Ysera or Alexstrasza, but I think it'd be really fun as a full group. I just love the idea of taking such well known characters and putting a different twist on them. Plus, you won't ever catch me wearing Alexstrazsa's in-game outfit, I just do not have the figure for it (or rather, have too much figure for it, lol).

Let me know if you're interested in joining or if anyone has any fantastic ideas for it!

essex1984
11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry, i had to Tonksie.

Malygos is kind of dead.... and kalecgos is the new blue dragon aspect.

How ever I would love to see you pull this off. its a fantastic concept and group Cosplay is always more awsome then solo.

Tonksie
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry, i had to Tonksie.

Malygos is kind of dead.... and kalecgos is the new blue dragon aspect.

How ever I would love to see you pull this off. its a fantastic concept and group Cosplay is always more awsome then solo.

/gasp! I haven't been following the lore since... the Arthas book? Thanks for letting me know! I need to get more up-to-date, apparently. It seems kind of strange that Aspect-ness is transferable.

LalaFTL
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Time to tack some boobs on Essex! Lol

What an awesome idea! I'd love to a burlesque Deathwing, but it would come down to time and money after my main costume is done. ><

Reformed Tomboy
11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
/gasp! I haven't been following the lore since... the Arthas book? Thanks for letting me know! I need to get more up-to-date, apparently. It seems kind of strange that Aspect-ness is transferable.

The Aspects were bestowed their power, so it makes sense someone else could step up and take the job if one became available. They hinted at some really cool things at the lore panel, you should look it up on youtube (or read the transcript).

I'm interested in your idea. I'm not really sure what constitutes burlesque though. I know it's a dance...?

OrangeMoose
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Some great ideas here. I love the crack elf and burlesque ideas. It's always fun to see a twist on things like the "Vashj goes to Vegas" costume. That one was hilarious XD.

Not sure what I want to do yet. Kinda want to stick to my priest pattern, but not feeling the T11. It looks cool, but I don't think I am into it enough to spend a lot of time making it. I need something I can obsess over.

My husband really wants to be Deathwing in his human form. I might start on that until I settle on something for myself. I'm already tired thinking about it, lol. ~_~

Fiendle
11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks! ;D

Gosh, it was so embarrassing going up on stage with so many! unfinished areas visible...

I loved your costume! I was hoping someone would make Lady Deathwhisper this year. you looked spot on. I'm sure a million people have already told you this but the hands look awesome. xD

Well, I got into the Entertainment Design program (basically concept art) at Art Center in Pasadena for Spring 2011. I got a letter that came with my financial aid package back in May about an additional portfolio review for Spring termers. I totally forgot about it until I re-opened up the letter in mid September so I could figure out student loans. I had been working on carving Deathwing's body at that point (slowly but surely) and was hoping to finish the bulk of the costume that month.. I squeezed in enough time during the last two weeks to redesign a couple of pieces from my entry portfolio. The reward letters will be sent out in a month; I hope I got something for it, even if it's small. Art school is wayyyyy too expensive. :/

Ha, tell me about it, both with walking onstage with unfinished pieces, and art school being excessively costly. I feel bad not finishing my costume, but at least a few people really enjoyed my attempt. Thank you for the compliments. ^_^ And I went to a small university for my BA in studio art. It was a lot of work just like I would imagine a "real" art school would be, it just didn't have all the fancy equipment and studios, and hence was much cheaper. ^^; I focused in painting.

I wish you luck with the scholarships! Even though I didn't go to an extremely expensive school, I still got through a lot of it on scholarships, so I understand. There's no way I would have ever been able to afford more than one term without them. x(

I've got kind of a fun plan for day 2 next year, but I would love it if some people wanted to join me. I'm going to try to do some sketches to nail down the designs in my head, but basically it would be steamy/burlesque (and female) versions of the 5 aspects...

Let me know if you're interested in joining or if anyone has any fantastic ideas for it!

You should talk with Lorraine, I know she mentioned having a very similar idea at one point so she would probably enjoy being involved unless she has already found her group of 5. :) And if I have the funds to make two costumes, I would love to be an Aspect! *-* I'd probably be best fit as Ysera since she's supposed to be small... But I know Reformed just did her. I've always wanted to create a fashion inspired Onyxia, if I'm allowed to tag along as a non-Aspect. >.> You can show me progress sketches of the aspects and I can try to make something based off of your style/theme, or just give design tips so your 5 are awesome. :D

But crack elf is still my back up--too poor to make a real costume-- plan. XD

Tonksie
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
The Aspects were bestowed their power, so it makes sense someone else could step up and take the job if one became available. They hinted at some really cool things at the lore panel, you should look it up on youtube (or read the transcript).

I'm interested in your idea. I'm not really sure what constitutes burlesque though. I know it's a dance...?

ah, good call on the aspects.

I'm excited to see some interest in this!

This is kind of along the lines of the burlesque I'm thinking of http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/spaz2phreek/halloween%25202008/burlesque1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D249792.20%3B&usg=__kWtq4Khd4YPQxJsMOUBBYszd-ow=&h=541&w=341&sz=23&hl=en&start=10&zoom=1&tbnid=rMetwmqQ54SNEM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsteampunk%2Bburlesque%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1046%26bih%3D451%26gbv%3D2%26t bs%3Disch:10%2C440&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=308&ei=4S_PTJWxHY2osAPthMz7Dg&oei=3S_PTNKbL4HGsAO21-DyAQ&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:10&tx=71&ty=72&biw=1046&bih=451

It could be changed up to be more modest if desired (or less, if that is desired too, lol).
I really need to try to get some general sketches done.

At this point, I have no real preference of whom I go as. I just probably wouldn't prefer Alex, since red is in general a horrible color for me >.<

@Fiendle: I'm down with adding Ony to the group!

Fiendle
11-01-2010, 06:13 PM

This is kind of along the lines of the burlesque I'm thinking of http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/spaz2phreek/halloween%25202008/burlesque1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D249792.20%3B&usg=__kWtq4Khd4YPQxJsMOUBBYszd-ow=&h=541&w=341&sz=23&hl=en&start=10&zoom=1&tbnid=rMetwmqQ54SNEM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsteampunk%2Bburlesque%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1046%26bih%3D451%26gbv%3D2%26t bs%3Disch:10%2C440&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=308&ei=4S_PTJWxHY2osAPthMz7Dg&oei=3S_PTNKbL4HGsAO21-DyAQ&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:10&tx=71&ty=72&biw=1046&bih=451

Ok, that's a simple enough idea to work with.
I think that each of the dragons should have a little mask on a stick that they carry around, like in the image, but characteristic to their particular dragon. Like, Deathwing instead of having the eye veil, should be a lower jaw armor. Ysera should be the eye veil with closed eyes, and look very shiny and ethereal. Alexzstrasa should at least have a lot of gems. Nozdormu could overall be somewhat steampunk, somewhat futuristic, with a lot of different eras thrown into one, since he is timeless. I also think Deathwing would be great with red bases, covered in layers of a black lace and metal/armor looking bits to get the idea of his ripping body. I think I would enjoy going as Deathwing too, if you don't mind him being the smallest one when he's supposed to be the biggest by far. XD Go chibi Deathwing.

You think they should have actual wings? And actual horns? It would get the idea across better, but not sure how literal you want to go with them being dragons. If you do, they would all definitely have to be unique to their models.

Tonksie
11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok, that's a simple enough idea to work with.
I think that each of the dragons should have a little mask on a stick that they carry around, like in the image, but characteristic to their particular dragon. Like, Deathwing instead of having the eye veil, should be a lower jaw armor. Ysera should be the eye veil with closed eyes, and look very shiny and ethereal. Alexzstrasa should at least have a lot of gems. Nozdormu could overall be somewhat steampunk, somewhat futuristic, with a lot of different eras thrown into one, since he is timeless. I also think Deathwing would be great with red bases, covered in a black lace to get the idea that his body is ripping. I think I would enjoy going as Deathwing too, if you don't mind him being the smallest one when he's supposed to be the biggest by far. XD Go chibi Deathwing.

You think they should have actual wings? And actual horns? It would get the idea across better, but not sure how literal you want to go with them being dragons. If you do, they would all definitely have to be unique to their models.

Those are some great ideas! What I figured I'd do is let everyone choose their own and make up their own details. For instance, I'd do something similar for Deathwing, like Red/black, but then also try to have some silver armor type details. For Ysera, a green dress, of course, and I'd try to figure out a hat (maybe a mini top?) with a veil covering the eyes. Alex would have a corset similar to her normal, with the gold detailing, etc. Noz could be more steampunked out, I was thinking of ways to incorporate hourglasses, etc. Kal is the one that is a little more hard to pin down, Blue, of course, with silver. Not quite sure how to incorporate the magic bit of it.

I was thinking about wings/tails/claws, etc, but the only thing that I really think that should be absolutely included would be horns. Alexstrasza still has horns in her two-legged form, so I think that makes sense.

I like the idea of a mask, but then again I dislike the idea of having to carry something around all day.

As for people's sizes, looks, etc etc, I don't really care. Deathwing is supposed to be a dude anyway, so if it's the smallest girl it doesn't much matter to me! Not really going for accuracy, just a lot of fun!

krystlejo42
11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
First, (and apparently really late >.<) Super congrats Essex and Alice! I'm super happy for the two of you!

I completely agree with this. I didn't expect to win anything with the goblin, but it was a ton of fun! (Minus the jerk-guy!) And not being the only cosplayer made it even more epic! (At one of the local cons, i'm one of maybe 10 people to dress up. >.<)>

And ideas... i've actually been bouncing between a few. My first idea, I threw out since "floats" arent quite legal. :P I was gunna make a giant hearthstone with leds. :P But now, i'm stuck between two!

I recently finished "The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm". Well, i won't give any spoilers away, but it inspired BOTH of my costume ideas. I was considering a Dark Iron Dwarf, but i'm not sure I would even know how to start making their armor. lol. So, that one may be out... Unless I find an armor piece one is wearing that I like better. The other one... is... Moira Thaurissan (formerly Moira Bronzebeard). Her new model can be found here http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=42129/moira-thaurissan#modelviewer

Any feed back would be great!

Fiendle
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Those are some great ideas!...

I was thinking about wings/tails/claws, etc, but the only thing that I really think that should be absolutely included would be horns. Alexstrasza still has horns in her two-legged form, so I think that makes sense.

I like the idea of a mask, but then again I dislike the idea of having to carry something around all day.

Perhaps to incorporate the hourglass to Nozdormu, you could try to make sure that it is someone with a nice hourglass form to begin with (even if a corset is required), and then do a very heavy beaded detailing on the front that looks like sand trickling through an hourglass. You could do a darker fabric around the sides of the waist too to make the illusion that it comes in really narrow. And of course if going with a steampunk idea, bronze, metal bits and clocks are always popular elements, which fits great for his flight.

I read the manga with Kalecgos, but that's about as much as I know of his personality. (I know of his importance with the Sunwell too, but my guild couldn't even beat his fight back when it was current content. :P ) Blues are masters of arcane magic, so lots of shiny fabric and big jewels. If he could have glowing parts, that would be cool too, but not necessary. His human model wears leather, so belts, the chest harness, or leather bits could be included. Deathwing, likewise, would be cool if he had glowing parts where his insides are pouring out.

I think Alexz needs to be very regal and decorated, but other than that her styling isn't too specific. She can be both matronly and dangerous, as her job is essentially to dictate what lives and dies.

I agree that I think horns are pretty vital. And everyone could have their hair in the color that matches the aspect color. But optional other dragon pieces, depending on the personal styling may be nice just so that people don't think we're draenei. XD I think if I did Deathwing I would do some awesome hand and shoe armor with spiked bits, over just doing actual claws. But he is very much into armor so it works for him. The other dragons could be actual claws.

I was considering a Dark Iron Dwarf, but i'm not sure I would even know how to start making their armor. lol. So, that one may be out... Unless I find an armor piece one is wearing that I like better. The other one... is... Moira Thaurissan (formerly Moira Bronzebeard). Her new model can be found here http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=42129/moira-thaurissan#modelviewer

I think Moira would be cool, her long quest chain was always fun in vanilla WoW (although I have NEVER managed to do all of BRD in one sitting at level without the aid of someone a few levels higher. XD ), I hadn't realized she has a new model. Dark Iron Dwarves are neat and it's nice to see they'll have some place in the game again. But I agree, in order to do it right, you really need to have the armor, chains, glowing lava etc, as well as the darkened skin and glowing eyes (although I realize Moria isn't a dark iron dwarf so you wouldn't need to worry about this for her). An easy way to do armor would be to just paint paper mache or pleather in shiny, metalic colors, either acrylic or spray paint. For my Deathwhisper costume I just used plain plastic chains that I spray painted to look metalic, and several people asked me if they were actually metal, so you can easily get away with that. :) If you can figure out LEDs for the base, that would be nice to give the idea of the burning cauldrons.

krystlejo42
11-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I think Moira would be cool, her long quest chain was always fun in vanilla WoW (although I have NEVER managed to do all of BRD in one sitting at level without the aid of someone a few levels higher. XD ), I hadn't realized she has a new model. Dark Iron Dwarves are neat and it's nice to see they'll have some place in the game again. But I agree, in order to do it right, you really need to have the armor, chains, glowing lava etc, as well as the darkened skin and glowing eyes (although I realize Moria isn't a dark iron dwarf so you wouldn't need to worry about this for her). An easy way to do armor would be to just paint paper mache or pleather in shiny, metalic colors, either acrylic or spray paint. For my Deathwhisper costume I just used plain plastic chains that I spray painted to look metalic, and several people asked me if they were actually metal, so you can easily get away with that. :) If you can figure out LEDs for the base, that would be nice to give the idea of the burning cauldrons.

I didn't realize it either until I read the book. Then I decided to explore Wowhead. At first nothing came up for Moira Bronzebeard. When I typed in "Moira" it brought up Moira Thaurssian. I checked it out... and really liked the way her new outfit is (the original was a wee bit too revealing for me.) Though... I was really looking forward to the dark skin and red contacts. XD

Maryssa
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh man Tonksie the burlesque idea... SO AWESOME. SO TEMPTED TO DO IT.

Fiendle
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh man Tonksie the burlesque idea... SO AWESOME. SO TEMPTED TO DO IT.

So does that mean a 4th year of Alexstrasza? XD

Maryssa
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Well she is my gal! I luffs her.
Butttt I have to see. I really want to commit to Kerrigan but I'm still researching construction and collaboration with friends to see if it's possible.

Fiendle
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Butttt I have to see. I really want to commit to Kerrigan but I'm still researching construction and collaboration with friends to see if it's possible.

If you buy me a plane ticket, I'll come live in your closet and be your personal aesthetic advisor and costume slave. ;D But I agree, you definitely want to make sure Kerrigan is awesome if you commit to her. This is just a fun day 2 option if you have extra time and funds and don't want to wear Kerrigan for both days.

OrangeMoose
11-01-2010, 09:19 PM
krystlejo42: I recently finished "The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm". Well, i won't give any spoilers away, but it inspired BOTH of my costume ideas. I was considering a Dark Iron Dwarf, but i'm not sure I would even know how to start making their armor. lol. So, that one may be out... Unless I find an armor piece one is wearing that I like better. The other one... is... Moira Thaurissan (formerly Moira Bronzebeard). Her new model can be found here http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=42129/moira-thaurissan#modelviewer

Any feed back would be great!

I was thinking of doing Magni (despite what happens to him). His action figure is really detailed and I always loved the ram motif. Regardless, seeing Moira would be awesome!

Fiendle: Perhaps to incorporate the hourglass to Nozdormu, you could try to make sure that it is someone with a nice hourglass form to begin with (even if a corset is required), and then do a very heavy beaded detailing on the front that looks like sand trickling through an hourglass. You could do a darker fabric around the sides of the waist too to make the illusion that it comes in really narrow. And of course if going with a steampunk idea, bronze, metal bits and clocks are always popular elements, which fits great for his flight.

A steampunk inspired Nozdormu sounds so fun and creative! An hourglass corset is a great idea. I think it would look cool if someone did this and used bronze body paint as well. Sexy!

Maryssa
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd definitely want to do lots of flowers incorporated into Alex.

Shaylyn
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Not sure what I want to do yet. Kinda want to stick to my priest pattern, but not feeling the T11. It looks cool, but I don't think I am into it enough to spend a lot of time making it. I need something I can obsess over.

I'm feeling this SO MUCH. I'm planning every costume under the sun, just for something fun to think about :)

OrangeMoose
11-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm feeling this SO MUCH. I'm planning every costume under the sun, just for something fun to think about :)

Lol, all this planning is fun, but at the same time my head wants to explode. XD For my last two costumes it was an instant "Aha!" moment where I KNEW I had to make it. I really can't wait for Cata. I know there will be something that will give me that "Aha!" again.

Etrina
11-01-2010, 10:43 PM

It could be changed up to be more modest if desired (or less, if that is desired too, lol).
I really need to try to get some general sketches done.

At this point, I have no real preference of whom I go as. I just probably wouldn't prefer Alex, since red is in general a horrible color for me >.<

@Fiendle: I'm down with adding Ony to the group!

I was a burlesque peacock for halloween - so I LOVE this idea.
I really had no plans for blizzcon next year since with my luck I won't get to go yet again. I still work on my Sylvanas here and there. it's like, nearly 50% finished

essex1984
11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Alice and my self are plotting away on costumes. We are both feeling something from Cata, but as for now I am eying the human form Deathwing... even with my aversion to leather work, but nothing has caught Alice's eye for now. But after all ICC didn't launch until Feb of this year so there is plenty of time for new awesome things to come about.

Hell maybe tier 12 will awesome like no other before it... or so I can dream

Nozze
11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Tonksie - I would love to be one of the burlesque aspects! I'd be fine taking whatever was leftover, but I think being female Deathwing would be my favorite; a gothy burlesque-inspired costume with some fire/lava-inspired details! AHH! I'll try brainstorming too but if you get the basic designs down, I'll start working on it asap to ensure having it done (even if my first day isn't done XD). That is if I can be in the group ^^;

I've also always wanted to do an original design based off of A'lar (which ironically, someone's already done - just proves that original ideas are hard to come by ><) - like a phoenix Goddess kind of thing. Original designs are so fun!

Maryssa
11-01-2010, 11:14 PM
eying the human form Deathwing

I was soooo hoping someone would be him this year =( I wanted pics with one!

OrangeMoose
11-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Alice and my self are plotting away on costumes. We are both feeling something from Cata, but as for now I am eying the human form Deathwing... even with my aversion to leather work, but nothing has caught Alice's eye for now. But after all ICC didn't launch until Feb of this year so there is plenty of time for new awesome things to come about.

Hell maybe tier 12 will awesome like no other before it... or so I can dream

YESSSSS! Bring on some awesome priest T12! That is what I am dreaming about XD.

I was thinking of doing leather for Deathwing, too, but I might just go the foam method. Easier to get a substantial look without too much layers, which can get expensive. Husband suggested Lady Sinestra for me. I wonder if she is getting a new model? Not really feeling her though. I am too in love with priests. ;_;

essex1984
11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
YESSSSS! Bring on some awesome priest T12! That is what I am dreaming about XD.

I was thinking of doing leather for Deathwing, too, but I might just go the foam method. Easier to get a substantial look without too much layers, which can get expensive. Husband suggested Lady Sinestra for me. I wonder if she is getting a new model? Not really feeling her though. I am too in love with priests. ;_;

Foam works, but after the witch doctor I have half a cow left of 2-3oz leather that needs to be doing something :) Its such a dynamic outfit that i worry the foam wont be dense enough to provide the depth around the lava effect on his chest. Plus it means i get to bust out some fiberglass and build me a huge iron jaw thing!!!

Amalaa
11-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I love steampunk Nozdormu! sounds EPIC!!!!

LalaFTL
11-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I did some Lady Deathwing planning at work but I'm just going to say there's no way I'd finish one in time, lol. I'll upload some sketches later if whoever decides to take him on would care to hear some ideas. :> Yummy metal/lava details...

OrangeMoose
11-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Foam works, but after the witch doctor I have half a cow left of 2-3oz leather that needs to be doing something :) Its such a dynamic outfit that i worry the foam wont be dense enough to provide the depth around the lava effect on his chest. Plus it means i get to bust out some fiberglass and build me a huge iron jaw thing!!!

Ooo, extra leather. Nice! I was thinking of carving out foam to get the lava effect. Leather would probably be easier though. It's so forgiving.

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm sure if people wanted to double up on characters, no one would conveniently push them off a building right before the con as to avoid a double. I mean, they're day 2 outfits, so it's not like it's a huge competition who is the better dragon at that point as much as just a fun group idea. :) It's not like we're all going to be hanging together 24/7 either, but having a large group that can come and go for photos and get in the spirit would be fun.

I still think Deathwing would be the most fun to make and I've been enjoying brainstorming ideas for that, but I am drawn to steampunk Nozdormu too, it's just he's the least known of the aspects to most players as he doesn't even have a unique character model (and only shows up as a generic dragon once or twice in some phased quests) so I'd have to make sure I can properly portray him. ^^; He knows everything that will happen, so he is wise, calm and never in a hurry. He doesn't say much as to not disrupt the balance of time, and doesn't have many personal views as he understands the greater scope of what happens. Hmm. I would definitely give him an awesome dragon horn headdress and some wings, so that people don't just think I'm a crazy engineering gnome. But people might also think I'm Chromie. :P

If you have the leather, I would say that is the way to go. Also, heck yes to fiberglass jaw! I was thinking the same thing if I did Deathwing. xD Just make sure to make it months ahead of the con so it has ample time to air out and you aren't breathing leftover fumes. :P

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
haha, wow!!!! I really didn't expect my idea to get so much interest! Um, there's only 5 aspects, but if people want to do more, we could do a whole burlesque group! There are other dragons of each color besides the aspects. Or why not add in burlesque Jaina or Sylvanas, etc?

So, um, sorry to ask again, but could you guys post again saying if you're seriously interested and which aspect you'd prefer (maybe first and second choice)?

I need to decide which I prefer, I'm thinking of going with Kal, Noz or Ysera. I don't really want to take Ysera if Reformed wants to do it, unless she'd rather not do Ysera again. Noz would be cool, but I'd probably want to go with a more gold-bronze than the yellow bronze of the game, would anyone have an issue with that?

I was going to do some sketches at work today, but actually had to work! booooo. I'd love to see whatever sketches you guys have (plus you probably draw way freaking better than me)

Edit: Ongoing list of interested folks:
Fiendle: Lady Deathwing or Nozdormu
Tonksie: Kal, Noz, Deathwing or Ysera
Etrina: Sylvanas (DO EEET)
Nozze: Deathwing, Kal, Alex, Jaina
Reformed: (Strong Maybe) Ysera
Amalaa: Noz, Kal, Consort
Maryssa: Alex
Pouffe: Deathwing (Did you actually want to do it, or just providing us with awesome concept sketches :) ?)

krystlejo42
11-02-2010, 12:30 AM
I figure that if I start now.... it'll actually be done by blizzcon, and look a lot better. XD

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm currently torn between Deathwing and Nozdormu, as both would be equally fun but in different ways. >.< Deathwing would be hardcore awesome, and I know I could fit a costume of his in a suitcase as it would all be fairly form-fitting with a few key armor pieces. But everyone and their grandma wants to be Deathwing. XD Nozdormu would be more unique and interesting to design, but I am imagining an amazingly decorative headpiece and pretty delicate bits that may be fragile, and I'll have to figure out transportation. I need more time to brainstorm on him, because I have a cool idea in my head, it's just hard to fine tune. But yes, my idea is kind of Cleopatra (particularly in the make-up and excessive beading details) meets steampunk, to get the idea of both time and sand/desert. x.x

I would also lean more towards gold bronze in regards to Nozdormu. He's supposed to look kind of like sand, which is definitely closer to a gray gold than yellow. I imagine metallic sheens as opposed to matte ones.

Etrina
11-02-2010, 12:48 AM
i claim burlesque sylvanas :p

Nozze
11-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I definitely agree about the more gold/bronze tones than yellow for Nozdormu, especially keeping the burlesque theme in mind. I mean, bronze dragonflight, not yellow! XD Fiendle, I'm especially fond of the Cleopatra meets steampunk - I think that's a great start for inspiration!

I'd honestly probably want to be Deathwing, Kalecgos, or Alextrasza (if Maryssa isn't in on this, definitely giving first dibs on Alex to her). Duplicates are cool, I'm sure, especially depending on the level of interest, but I'll avoid it if I can. If others are extremely deadset on being one of the aspects, doing a burlesque Jaina would be JUST as fun for me! :)

To incorporate magic into Kalecgos' design, the first thing I think of is LEDs to get a glowing affect. I imagine glitter, too, but used in a subtle way.

Reformed Tomboy
11-02-2010, 01:38 AM
So, um, sorry to ask again, but could you guys post again saying if you're seriously interested and which aspect you'd prefer (maybe first and second choice)?

I need to decide which I prefer, I'm thinking of going with Kal, Noz or Ysera. I don't really want to take Ysera if Reformed wants to do it, unless she'd rather not do Ysera again. Noz would be cool, but I'd probably want to go with a more gold-bronze than the yellow bronze of the game, would anyone have an issue with that?

Edit: Ongoing list of interested folks:
Tonksie: Kal, Noz or Ysera

I'm def planning on redoing some parts of Ysera and wearing it again next year, so I'm not against doing her on day 2 at all. I'll have to think more about it, but put me down as a strong maybe for now. I'm just really busy at work and haven't been able to think too much about what exactly I'll be doing for next year yet.

I can already see myself going your way with Ysera... Not sure if that 's a good or bad thing ;)

Amalaa
11-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I would love to get on board

I like Noz, or Kel..

and as far as extras, there is always the consorts.. could be very fun to have a mini groups within the big group. I'd be willing to be a consort type dragon, so there is no drama of being the head cheese..

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I would love to get on board

I like Noz, or Kel..

and as far as extras, there is always the consorts.. could be very fun to have a mini groups within the big group. I'd be willing to be a consort type dragon, so there is no drama of being the head cheese..

That would be fun. ^^ Besides, what's a dragon without their consorts? And aside from Alexstrasza and Deathwing, none of the aspects really have real models in game (at least not highly distinct, unique, memorable ones), so most dragons are up to artistic interpretation. :P

I tried drawing Nozdormu, and it turned into a horrible mess. >.< I've been on a drawing hiatus for a long time and need to practice. I think I also need more resource images for inspiration, as Cleopatra, hourglasses, steampunk and dragon are difficult ideas to roll into one design without looking extremely messy and confusing, or ignoring certain elements. x.x For the hourglass I wanted to do an over the bust corset, but the steampunk styles are all under the bust corsets. And it's hard to mix the regal feel of Cleopatra with the working class steam punk style, or the loose, flowing style of Egypt with the millions-of-belts-and-buttons style that was western late 1800's. Lol, like I said, it will take a little work to figure out.

But I definitely think he should have a bunch of different things relating to time. Clocks with different times, hour glasses, sun dials, random cogwheels and clock hands. I also thought it would be cool to look into symbols, graphs and other things related to relativity and quantum physics since he never exists in one definite space, but I only got confused. T_T So if someone smarter wants to brainstorm ideas for that, that would be cool.

Maryssa
11-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Would this be a day 2 thing? Or? I'm interested enough I've already done a sketch, but it's still early to know for sure what my plans are.

Nozze
11-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Would this be a day 2 thing? Or? I'm interested enough I've already done a sketch, but it's still early to know for sure what my plans are.

Pretty sure it's a Day 2 thing. :)

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 03:45 AM
I would imagine it would stay a day 2 thing. At least day 2, even if some people wanted to wear it for day 1 as well.

Also... Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Oh my God-- Shoes.

These shoes rule. (http://loversandrags.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/alexander-mcqueen-steampunk-like-heels/)

I think something like this would be super hot to make for Deathwing. ^.^ I was initially thinking more of a cage style shoe (1 (http://www.shoewawa.com/assets_c/2009/09/lipsy-shoes3-97305.html), 2 (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_B5paD6xrVis/SoqU5Sy6zbI/AAAAAAAAA30/I87l0Zh4RhM/s1600-h/edea3ac8-067c-4e98-8ade-5c4d62c58637.jpg)), but the metallic parts and the marbled finish on these are really awesome.

Pouffe
11-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Got inspired and spent half an hour working on a concept piece of burlesque Deathwing. It's sorta messy and the anatomy might be *a little* off.. :/

Nozze
11-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Fiendle - LOVE those shoes. Holy crap. I wasn't even thinking about heels... looks like I'll be practicing wearing heels for a year so I'm not the only one in flats. (Yes, I don't know how to walk in heels, everyone can /laugh at me now :P)

Pouffe - I like it so far, though it may be a little too armored. I really like the effect with the eyes, too. ^^

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Fiendle - LOVE those shoes. Holy crap. I wasn't even thinking about heels... looks like I'll be practicing wearing heels for a year so I'm not the only one in flats. (Yes, I don't know how to walk in heels, everyone can /laugh at me now :P)

Pouffe - I like it so far, though it may be a little too armored. I really like the effect with the eyes, too. ^^

Yeah, it looks awesome, but maybe too serious and battle-ready for the theme, even for Deathwing. xD I'd say ditch the shoulder armor and lighten up the leg armor and it looks pretty decent, or at least close to what I was imagining. Not sure on the belt, or if it could be simplified to a single metal buckle. I was thinking long 3/4 arm gloves with awesome hand armor and simple lower arm armor pieces. And a few layers of tights with cool shoes with armor pieces, and maybe some metal garters?

The eyes are awesome. Curse my tiny eyelids and my inability to wear sclera lenses! T^T

I don't wear heels very often, but I have practiced enough to manage in them. Although I also usually walk with my whole foot stomping down at once, since I'm always afraid of falling if I step with my heel first. ^^;

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
lol, first of all, you all stay up way too late.

Secondly, I tried to get some sketches done and realized yet again that I can't draw >.<

Thirdly, Yes, this is planned to be a day 2 group. That way everyone can do their desired costume for day one, contests and stuff, and we can just all have fun dressed up on day 2.

There are some really really awesome ideas floating out there! I am a little intimidated though >.< I kind of intended these to be more fun/easyish costumes. I love the idea of going hardcore awesome on it, but some of us (meaning me) might not be up to that level.

@ Pouffe- instead of shoulder armor, how about a high collared shrug? Gives the effect of having something on your shoulders, but spins it away from armor and more towards burlesque.

@Fiendle, Steampunk uses some over the bust corsets too. I plan on using a half bust corset for mine, like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/37513729/steampunk-midbust-corset-with-halter (I actually own that corset made by her in a different fabric, and will probably order my dragonlady one from her because her work is impeccable). I was kind of thinking out Nozdormu last night, I loved your beading idea on the corset (again a lot of work >.<) There are a lot of accessories for steampunk at http://www.clockworkcouture.com/?q=SteampunkAccessories that would work for Noz. AND OMG LOVE THEIR SHOES, just saying.

So, I kind of think hairstyle should be based on the aspect's traits/personality. Like Ysera kind of floaty and dreamy, Deathwing would look awesome with kind of a punk hairstyle like a Fauxhawk.
The hair could be the same color as the aspect, but that might get difficult for Nozdormu. Not a lot of good bronze wigs out there. If Noz goes blond, he's off my list. I'm a brutal blond.

Right now I'm leaning towards Kal, but it's really the one I feel the least sure about design. I'm also leaning towards Ysera, because I have a lot of fun ideas for her. DAMMIT Lady Deathwing would also be really cool.
I need to make a decision, lol.

Pocket X
11-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm not per say... A girl who wear corsets and burlesque things... Eh, but I'd love to join in somehow in something perhaps more modest. Ideas?

Maryssa
11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
We should get miss Sprite Darter in this too imo :D

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm not per say... A girl who wear corsets and burlesque things... Eh, but I'd love to join in somehow in something perhaps more modest. Ideas?

You could do a non-corseted, non-burlesque steampunk version of a character you like. There are lots of ways you could do it and be more modest.

Something like this http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs40/i/2009/031/d/7/Steampunk_Girl_by_ZoeStead.png is awesome, and is quite a bit more modest.

There's also a lot of steampunk that wears pants and cool hats, etc. What character do you think would you like to do (at this point, any characters are welcome, doesn't have to be just dragons), and we can brainstorm on ways to do it in an awesome but more modest and less corseted fashion!

Also, I'm starting up a facebook page because I've got some people interested who aren't on cosplay.com for various reasons. We can stop flooding threads like this, post pictures, etc. I need a cool name for the group though! Any ideas?

LilLadyBug
11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
We should get miss Sprite Darter in this too imo :D

You know, reading all of this, I'm TOTALLY regretting my commitment to bringing the sprite darter back next year. I would LOOOOOVE to get in on this group, the ideas you guys are pulling out are amazing!! I totally hope everything comes together for it, I can't wait to see some of these!

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Ok guys! I made a facebook page. I have no idea what I'm doing with it, but it's here: http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy#!/pages/Aspects-of-Awesome/172170592795585

I think if you like it, I can make people admins and you should be able to see/share/etc.

LeslieCrystal
11-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I've got kind of a fun plan for day 2 next year, but I would love it if some people wanted to join me. I'm going to try to do some sketches to nail down the designs in my head, but basically it would be steamy/burlesque (and female) versions of the 5 aspects, Malygos, Ysera, Alexstrasza, Nozdormu, and of course, Deathwing. I could do it alone as either Ysera or Alexstrasza, but I think it'd be really fun as a full group. I just love the idea of taking such well known characters and putting a different twist on them. Plus, you won't ever catch me wearing Alexstrazsa's in-game outfit, I just do not have the figure for it (or rather, have too much figure for it, lol).

Tonksie: Kal, Noz, Deathwing or Ysera
Etrina: Sylvanas (DO EEET)
Nozze: Deathwing, Kal, Alex, Jaina
Reformed: (Strong Maybe) Ysera
Amalaa: Noz, Kal, Consort
Maryssa: Alex
Pouffe: Deathwing (Did you actually want to do it, or just providing us with awesome concept sketches ?)

I would LOVE to join in. This sounds like such an AWESOME idea. But any ideas who I should do?

Nozze
11-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Ok guys! I made a facebook page. I have no idea what I'm doing with it, but it's here: http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy#!/pages/Aspects-of-Awesome/172170592795585

I think if you like it, I can make people admins and you should be able to see/share/etc.

Joined. ^_^ This is so excitingggg XD

Pyoska
11-02-2010, 03:06 PM
This thread makes me sad that I won;t be going next year. :( :( :( I'd SOOOOOOO do a burlesque!Katrana, I still have her horns and wig from last year!

Nozze
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I didn't even think of Onyxia... black and purple would be sooo beautiful. Damn it, too many choices!!

Pocket X
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
You could do a non-corseted, non-burlesque steampunk version of a character you like. There are lots of ways you could do it and be more modest.

Something like this http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs40/i/2009/031/d/7/Steampunk_Girl_by_ZoeStead.png is awesome, and is quite a bit more modest.

I'm very, VERY excited about this idea and think it would be proper for Pocket of teh pocket-size to do a steampunk gnome NPC for sure. Anyone know a female gnome NPC?

[Been wanting to do steampunk cosplay for AGES]

EDIT: Sidenote: On my webcomic for this Sunday I am doing a special comic for all Blizzcon 2010 cosplayers I encountered. Just because I <3 y'all.

Pouffe
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Pouffe: Deathwing (Did you actually want to do it, or just providing us with awesome concept sketches ?)

I'm sort of thinking about it, although I kind of want to try Sindragosa (frost wyrm version?) as well! I'm not sure how well that'll go since she's pretty much dead (lorewise). :p I'll do some more concept sketches later this week. The last time I did anything with fabric was a bazillion years ago for Renfaire. :( It'll be nice to pick up the sewing machine again.

I like it so far, though it may be a little too armored.
Yeah, it looks awesome, but maybe too serious and battle-ready for the theme, even for Deathwing. xD I'd say ditch the shoulder armor and lighten up the leg armor and it looks pretty decent, or at least close to what I was imagining. Not sure on the belt, or if it could be simplified to a single metal buckle. I was thinking long 3/4 arm gloves with awesome hand armor and simple lower arm armor pieces. And a few layers of tights with cool shoes with armor pieces, and maybe some metal garters?

Hrm, yeah, the design does look way too armored. I was trying to make her look a little recognizable with the armor plates, haha. It was 2 am and my brain was @_@; I'll do a redesign with some of your suggestions later!

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Pouffe;3685464]I'm sort of thinking about it, although I kind of want to try Sindragosa (frost wyrm version?) as well! I'm not sure how well that'll go since she's pretty much dead (lorewise). :p I'll do some more concept sketches later this week. The last time I did anything with fabric was a bazillion years ago for Renfaire. :( It'll be nice to pick up the sewing machine again.

OMG Sindragosa would be awesome!

Everyone join my facebook page (if you can). It's kind of blowing up more than I expected, haha. Lorraine is on there and has a list of stuff going up that when you decide who you want to do, you can put your name on it and also add suggestions

@Pocket: Tons of gnome females! The most well known one I can think of is Chromie.

essex1984
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
If you are not aiming for a specific dragon, then keeping in style and color should allow great group synergy.

Chromie is well known, but why restrict yourself to an already established look. Take the steampunk / Bronze dragon flight and have fun. If every one has one or two items the same then the tie ins will show.

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 04:07 PM
If you are not aiming for a specific dragon, then keeping in style and color should allow great group synergy.

Chromie is well known, but why restrict yourself to an already established look. Take the steampunk / Bronze dragon flight and have fun. If every one has one or two items the same then the tie ins will show.

true! You can pretty much do whatever you want. This group has pretty much no restrictions, lol. Take something that you like and make it loosely steampunk or burlesque themed. I almost find it easier to do a well known character with a set look. Since I'm not super creative, I like being able to take an already established 'look' and figure out how to translate it to another fashion. It's all about whatever you want to do and have fun with!

Maryssa
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I'll join when I get home! My iphone facebook thing doesn't want to show groups for some reason.

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Exactly. The Aspects can have their unique piece that makes them most notable in the group, but we can just think of general themes for each flight, and people can interpret the rest how they will:

Black: Armor/metal, high collars
Blue: shinies, sparkles, lights
Bronze: steampunk, sand, time
Green: iridescent and translucent fabrics
Red: Royal, gems, flowers

Something like that, if people have different opinions I can change it, that's just what I was thinking from what we've all said so far.

Also, I love the idea of Sindragosa. Even if she's dead, everyone knows her (or at least of Frost wryms) from the login for Wrath. :3

Nozze
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I really like what Essex is saying. If people can't decide what to do, they can pick their favorite dragonflight and make an outfit inspired from that. People can coordinate together to have a relationship between their individual looks within their dragonflight; kind of extending on the whole consort idea. I'm just imagining how could it would be to actually see a mixed group of a single flight ^^

Edit: I'm a slow typer apparently, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked where Essex was going with his idea. XD

Black: Armor/metal, high collars
Blue: shinies, sparkles, lights
Bronze: steampunk, sand, time
Green: iridescent and translucent fabrics
Red: Royal, gems, flowers

I agree with this. I keep trying to think of more ways for blue to get its magic across, but I just keep drawing a blank. :(

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
is there anyone here for the group idea who does not have a facebook account?

It'd be nice to consolidate all these great ideas to one place, haha.

It's also looking like we're not just going to have dragons! We've got an Azshara and a Kael-thas and a bunch of other things too!

Etrina
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
holy crap you guys talk alot.

I wanted to say really quickly - Fiendle - I have DEFINITELY seen steampunk done in a non underbust corset sort of way - with a full on corset. I don't think you would ever been seen as "not steampunk" for using a full corset instead of an underbust.
Example of something totally steampunk and not underbust: http://www.harlotsandangels.co.uk/catalog/images/steampunk_lady_adventurer.jpg

I've joined the group - and I'll start brainstorming Burlesque Sylvanas in a bit. I'm thinking purple and black with silver trim maybe.

An FYI for those skirts - invest in a "thick fabrics" needle if you don't already have one. I made one of these for halloween and after 4 layers of gathered fabric I literally could not get my machine to sew through it until I slapped a denim/upholstery needle onto my machine.

Tonksie
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
An FYI for those skirts - invest in a "thick fabrics" needle if you don't already have one. I made one of these for halloween and after 4 layers of gathered fabric I literally could not get my machine to sew through it until I slapped a denim/upholstery needle onto my machine.

Great tip!

And I talk a lot because otherwise I'd have to concentrate on work :p

Etrina
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM
ah its my day off - so i've been mage leveling all day :P

Nozze
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Still trying to think of what character I want to do. Deathwing would be the most fun to wear/make and would probably look the best on me (would also mean not having to change my eyebrow color at all) and Kalecgos is one of my favorite characters period and would also be extremely fun to do.

I know it's no real rush, but I hate not being able to decide. XD At least I've narrowed it down to 2 now (trying to ignore how fun Onyxia would be... we'll see how long that lasts). Maybe I'll do some concept sketches for both and go from there. I do have homework to do before my class tonight so I'm off for a while - keep the brainstorming going!! ^^ <3

Etrina
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM
if you're worried about coloring your eyebrows:

easy peasy lemon squeezy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyoH1911Jgk

Colored eyeshadow = win

Reformed Tomboy
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Right now I'm leaning towards Kal, but it's really the one I feel the least sure about design. I'm also leaning towards Ysera, because I have a lot of fun ideas for her. DAMMIT Lady Deathwing would also be really cool.
I need to make a decision, lol.

Do Ysera, don't let me stop you :) Anyway, as much as I've love to get in on this, realistically I'm too much of a procrastinator to see myself getting a third costume done. Unless I can recycle parts of my costume for day 2, or someone helps me with the skirt (I don't pretend to be a seamstress), I'm not sure I can do it.

It seems like this year I'll be tackling leather, which is a big part of why I'm sceptical. And more chainmail, of course. I'm kind of going crazy over here with ideas about how I can make her look more transformed haha. It'll be fun to start working on in the coming months. I've pretty much decided my Ysera costume is more like fan art in costume form, if that makes sense.

Nozze
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
if you're worried about coloring your eyebrows:

easy peasy lemon squeezy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyoH1911Jgk

Colored eyeshadow = win

Hm, I've only ever seen the gluestick method, and I didn't really want to screw with that for just a second day costume. If it's that easy then you just made my decision go back to being at square one with zero progress... rawr *shake fist* XD

Etrina
11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Hm, I've only ever seen the gluestick method, and I didn't really want to screw with that for just a second day costume. If it's that easy then you just made my decision go back to being at square one with zero progress... rawr *shake fist* XD

lol sorry!

It does look like you need a pretty pigmented shadow though for the color part - those are fairly easy to come by though.

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Gluestick method? o.o I sometimes lightly color my eyebrows with bright brown eyeshadows just in daily wear, particularly when I dye my hair to be more saturated and my eyebrows look just dull by comparison (my hair is naturally a mousy brown/gray color and I usually opt for something in various shades of red-brown). As long as you're not rubbing your eyebrows, eyeshadow alone works fine and lasts all day. :)

I feel really bad, I need to figure out a single idea, but I keep coming up with more ideas. T_T

A few other unique dragon models: Nightbane, Razorscale, Felmyst. And twilight dragons will play a bigger part in Cataclysm. And infinite dragons would be a lot of fun to go with the "evil steampunk" look...
And non dragons (some awesome, most comical): void walker, fel hunter, fel guard, arakkoa, murloc, kobold, Aviana, Putricide, Auriaya (with cats). And if he needs a cameo, Decard Cain? xD

Since I was also interested in one day making a real Hakkar the Soulflayer, making him for this might be a cheaper, easy-to-wear alternative.

Ugh, so many to choose. >.< I really want to stick to a dragon (Noz, Deathwing, Onyxia), but some of those others are so tempting, particularly the arakkoa and warlock pets. I may seriously do an infinite dragon too, do you think anyone would recognize that? :/

I'll probably start 10 of these costumes, and just narrow it down as I finish my favorite parts and decide I don't feel like finishing one or the other. :P

Etrina
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Gluestick method? o.o

indeed: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=152632

Pocket X
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hmm. Maybe I can do my own spin to Chromie. I will do some research and character sketching. I'm sure Boom would like to join in and I can totally see him rocking something dwarf.

If anyone needs help sketching an idea out let me know. :)

Psycho Sukafu
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Good lord, this steampunk dragon/NPC sounds positively evil. I really don't need to add another costume but I will love to see pics as you guys go. That said, I must be evil myself and point out Merimask's dragon masks (http://merimask.deviantart.com/#/d31jzei) for more fuel to the fire. I know you don't like the idea of carrying around a mask but they are so very pretty and fitting. Oh a different note, did anyone else really like the cultist robes in the pre-Cata quest line? They look awesome on dreanei.

Etrina
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
AHMIGAWD those are awesome.

and the robe looked awful on a blood elf.

the best part is she's posted tutorials of how she makes her masks - and it's all just leather. I bet easy to replicate the method for what we'd want to use it for.

Maryssa
11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't really even notice it on my troll because from way zoomed out it didn't look that different from my regular armor, heh.

And WOWWW that mask is pretty!!! Would be so cute haha.

Nozze
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Gluestick method? o.o I sometimes lightly color my eyebrows with bright brown eyeshadows just in daily wear, particularly when I dye my hair to be more saturated and my eyebrows look just dull by comparison (my hair is naturally a mousy brown/gray color and I usually opt for something in various shades of red-brown). As long as you're not rubbing your eyebrows, eyeshadow alone works fine and lasts all day. :)

I have veeery dark brown (practically black) Anne Hathaway/Audrey Hepburn-ish kind of eyebrows, so I've never really played around with coloring mine or filling them in or anything outside of once or twice. Uh ... /facepalm, now that I think about it, I *have* seen the method of "filling" your eyebrows in with a white eyeliner pencil, then using a pigmented shadow over that. This would probably work the best for me, otherwise I don't think I'll get the color payoff I'm after with how naturally dark/thick my brows are. I should think more better :B herpderp

That dragon mask is absolutely beautiful... I am in love with the color. *-*
Edit: ooo Look at this pretty half-mask! http://www.etsy.com/listing/60440059/black-green-and-bronze-dragon-half-mask

Fiendle
11-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I never had anything against masks if the costume calls for it, and those dragon ones are really pretty. :O Thanks for the link, I've been interested in learning to make masks. I'd probably lean more on the half mask designs.

We should all start practicing our dancing and singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKjDUrmecA&t=0m40s

In other news, I've been on Blizzard phone support in the queue for awhile, trying to see about getting my lost authenticator removed from my account (I think I lost it in Cali T_T ). Hopefully once I finally get through they're able to remedy the situation. :/
Edit: Authenticator situation has been remedied. :)

LilLadyBug
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Good lord, this steampunk dragon/NPC sounds positively evil. I really don't need to add another costume but I will love to see pics as you guys go. That said, I must be evil myself and point out Merimask's dragon masks (http://merimask.deviantart.com/#/d31jzei) for more fuel to the fire. I know you don't like the idea of carrying around a mask but they are so very pretty and fitting. Oh a different note, did anyone else really like the cultist robes in the pre-Cata quest line? They look awesome on dreanei.

I had contacted them about a custom mask for my sprite costume...but they never got back to me about it and I ended up being pretty happy with my makeup. They're still on my radar, but I wasn't thrilled about the lack of communication.

Etrina
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I had contacted them about a custom mask for my sprite costume...but they never got back to me about it and I ended up being pretty happy with my makeup. They're still on my radar, but I wasn't thrilled about the lack of communication.

I've watched her "tutorial" videos and honestly it doesn't look all that difficult - and you don't really need that large of a piece of leather, you could do this relatively cheap yourself.

catfetus
11-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I've watched her "tutorial" videos and honestly it doesn't look all that difficult - and you don't really need that large of a piece of leather, you could do this relatively cheap yourself.
Leather mask commissions are also very expensive :( I would be surprised if a custom mask like that dragon one is under $100. They do seem relatively easy to do at home, but I'm not sure how easy it is to make the more complex designs. Unless you really want leather there should be a simpler way to do it, but leather would be pretty nice and solid.

Maryssa
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
How do I join the group? Like it?

LilLadyBug
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

And I may still try to do it on my own, since I don't have the time constraint anymore :D

Etrina
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I will definitely try to do one on my own :)

OrangeMoose
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
So, after looking at my tuskarr figure all day, I am pretty much settled on that XD. I am pretty excited about it. It will be fun to construct and I bet I will learn a lot. Plus it will give me an excuse to use some of my extra leather for details. Tuskarr are probably my favorite part of Northrend. Such noble and regal creatures. =) Kinda scared though since it's a bit out of my comfort zone, but what the heck. This and Deathwing will for sure take me a whole year.

catfetus
11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I will definitely try to do one on my own :)

:D I know! Watching the tutorial makes me want to go out and make one right now... :( Where do you get leather? The internet? Or are there any large chain stores that carry quality leather? (I guess I'll start searching for small leather stores in my area)

This makes me all excited to try to make masks for those con masquerades that I never go to, now if only I was more creative...

catfetus
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
So, after looking at my tuskarr figure all day, I am pretty much settled on that XD. I am pretty excited about it. It will be fun to construct and I bet I will learn a lot. Plus it will give me an excuse to use some of my extra leather for details. Tuskarr are probably my favorite part of Northrend. Such noble and regal creatures. =) Kinda scared though since it's a bit out of my comfort zone, but what the heck. This and Deathwing will for sure take me a whole year.
Fffff, Tuskarr is going to be completely amazing! If you show up in this next year I am going to take so many pictures of you it'll be unsettling.

OrangeMoose
11-02-2010, 11:28 PM
:D I know! Watching the tutorial makes me want to go out and make one right now... :( Where do you get leather? The internet? Or are there any large chain stores that carry quality leather? (I guess I'll start searching for small leather stores in my area)

This makes me all excited to try to make masks for those con masquerades that I never go to, now if only I was more creative...

Wickett and Craig sells quality hides online. If you live near a Tandy leather, try there. Tandy stores are pretty spread out though. I have to drive 1.5 hours to reach the nearest one. It's always worth it though. You can order from them online too, but the quality when you can't pick it out yourself might be questionable. Tandy is cheaper though.

And I love Merimask's work! Her tutorials helped me so much with my armor.

Fffff, Tuskarr is going to be completely amazing! If you show up in this next year I am going to take so many pictures of you it'll be unsettling.

Hehe! if you bring fish, I'll strike some cool poses!

Nozze
11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
How do I join the group? Like it?

Yup! Just like the group and bam you're in.

Leather mask commissions are also very expensive :( I would be surprised if a custom mask like that dragon one is under $100. They do seem relatively easy to do at home, but I'm not sure how easy it is to make the more complex designs. Unless you really want leather there should be a simpler way to do it, but leather would be pretty nice and solid.

Yeah, if you look at her etsy store, the blue dragon mask that was linked originally is being sold for $350. The half-mask that I linked was like $110. Now, the initial costs of getting longterm, quality leatherworking supplies in addition to trial and errors and the leather itself will probably outdo the price of one mask, but then you become self-sufficient and can make multiples and now you have a new hobby! :D

We should all start practicing our dancing and singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKjDUrmecA&t=0m40s)

Oh yes please lol! That's probably one of my favorite parts of Phantom. ♥

Etrina
11-02-2010, 11:47 PM

I live near a tandy - but what orange moose said about wicket and craig. You can order from tandyleatherfactory.com as well if you dont live close to one.

Edalyne
11-03-2010, 04:38 AM
If you plan on going to tandy, sign up for their email list. Every month they have lots of different things on sale and they send you an email to let u know what they are. I've picked up so many tools and various leather for 50% off because I bought them while on sale. It's an awesome money saver. I bought a cow side that was normally would have been $150 for $50 thanks to those emails! So stock up on tools and stuff during the right sales.

This is the current stuff on sale: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/eflyer/1011RT-USA/1011RT-USA.aspx

snarkie
11-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Maryssa told me y'all were doing a Burlesque/Steampunk group of Dragons! I haven't posted here much and I don't know yet if I'll have time for a second costume, but I'd love to tentatively join if you'll have me. :)

I think it was Pocket who said she doesn't really do the whole girly/burlesque thing, and I'm the same way, so I'd probably be a bit more Steampunk with burlesque influences than the other way around. I also don't need to do an aspect, or even a specific dragon for that matter. I'll leave that to the professionals. :) I can just pick a dragonflight and run with it.

Bronze is definitely the most obvious for Steampunk, but I was thinking Infinite would be cool, too. Black and blues. If I really wanted a named character, I could even snag Corrupted Occulus... if no one else wanted to take it. (Not like anyone would be able to tell *which* random dragon I was in any case. :P)

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure yet if I'll have the time or anything, but it sounds awesome. I can't stop thinking about Steampunk dragon wings!

Some other character ideas:

Consorts (Eranikus, Soridormi, Keristrasza, Korialstrasz, etc.)

The Aspect-Choosing Titans (Eonar! But also Aman'Thul, Norgannon, and Khaz'goroth)

Other Dragons (Nalice, Itharius, Onyxia, Tyrygosa, Kalec, Galakrond [bone version! Ha!])

Related (Rhonin maybe?)

Nozze
11-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Someone should do a burlesque Elune.

LalaFTL
11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Therazane imo.

Maryssa
11-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Also I was thinking it might be cute, since a few people were interested in Deathwing, to have Deathwing and a matching "twin" former-Neltharion (without all the metal and crazy).

Falinadin
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anybody had any sketches or anything of what you're planning on doing, I'm still a bit new to cosplaying and I guess I'm having a hard time picturing a burlesque Alextrasza lol.

Maryssa
11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a rough sketch of mine but I'm at work atm ><

birdyface
11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
omg you guys, I don't check the boards for a couple days and come back to this burlesque/steampunk awesomeness?! I'd love to get in on this, but it looks like all the aspects/dragons have been taken. ^^;

Tonksie
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
omg you guys, I don't check the boards for a couple days and come back to this burlesque/steampunk awesomeness?! I'd love to get in on this, but it looks like all the aspects/dragons have been taken. ^^;

it's opened up quite a bit now, haha. It's gotten huge since my original idea. It's now just "choose your favorite wow character and steampunk or burlesque it out". We also are having a bunch of each dragon color/aspect and organizing them into flights basically. Check out the facebook page (especially the discussion section) if you want to join!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Aspects-of-Awesome/172170592795585

birdyface
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
it's opened up quite a bit now, haha. It's gotten huge since my original idea. It's now just "choose your favorite wow character and steampunk or burlesque it out". We also are having a bunch of each dragon color/aspect and organizing them into flights basically. Check out the facebook page (especially the discussion section) if you want to join!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Aspects-of-Awesome/172170592795585

Well, count me in, then. I've been doing some 'research' (aka drooling over steampunk costumery) and sketching a possibility for Tyrande for the past couple hours. Not sure if I'll go with her or not, but designing is fun! :D

Fiendle
11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Maryssa told me y'all were doing a Burlesque/Steampunk group of Dragons! I haven't posted here much and I don't know yet if I'll have time for a second costume, but I'd love to tentatively join if you'll have me. :)

I think it was Pocket who said she doesn't really do the whole girly/burlesque thing, and I'm the same way, so I'd probably be a bit more Steampunk with burlesque influences than the other way around. I also don't need to do an aspect, or even a specific dragon for that matter. I'll leave that to the professionals. :) I can just pick a dragonflight and run with it.

Bronze is definitely the most obvious for Steampunk, but I was thinking Infinite would be cool, too. Black and blues. If I really wanted a named character, I could even snag Corrupted Occulus... if no one else wanted to take it. (Not like anyone would be able to tell *which* random dragon I was in any case. :P)

Anyway, like I said, I'm not sure yet if I'll have the time or anything, but it sounds awesome. I can't stop thinking about Steampunk dragon wings!

Some other character ideas:

Consorts (Eranikus, Soridormi, Keristrasza, Korialstrasz, etc.)

The Aspect-Choosing Titans (Eonar! But also Aman'Thul, Norgannon, and Khaz'goroth)

Other Dragons (Nalice, Itharius, Onyxia, Tyrygosa, Kalec, Galakrond [bone version! Ha!])

Related (Rhonin maybe?)

I was already considering possibly going as an infinite, and we've been discussing people dressing as lesser dragons and consorts of the main 5 groups. :) The titans would be awesome if someone wanted to try one of them! :O

Steampunk is kind of an interesting fashion in and of itself, considering it never actually existed and is a mix of several different eras and make-believe. I'm not sure how well steampunk fits into all the groups, it was really just an idea I had for the bronze/infinite since they don't really fit into a particular time period and are constantly shifting, and steampunk often incorporates clocks and unique technology and bronze colors and mixed fashions, so it seemed cool. But if people can make it work for other flights, ok. xD

Blues might be able to fit into it, being interested in science and learning, but a more "magical" version. I don't think Greens or Reds would particularly take to steampunk though, lol. That doesn't mean you need to avoid steampunk inspired fashion eras (victorian, edwardian, etc) that actually existed, just not incorporate all the silly mechanical bits. Whereas the blacks if they crave to take to it, could also follow the apocapyptic/victorian looks too. Or any corrupted greens and reds could follow the same as blacks.

Pocket X
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Working on a Chromie steampunk sketch the next couple weeks. Mostly brainstorming and figuring how to create on a VERY limited budget for next year. Should be interesting.

Tonksie
11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I think that since these are silly day 2 costumes for just the sake of fun, if you're inspired by the idea of something, you should do it whether or not it is perfectly accurate to the theme of the character. I mean, half of us are taking Deathwing and making him a female in slutty victorian wear. Not exactly accurate!

This group is not serious business! It's meant to be a fun idea where people can get creative and mix some of their favorite things together :)

Fiendle
11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I think that since these are silly day 2 costumes for just the sake of fun, if you're inspired by the idea of something, you should do it whether or not it is perfectly accurate to the theme of the character. I mean, half of us are taking Deathwing and making him a female in slutty victorian wear. Not exactly accurate!

This group is not serious business! It's meant to be a fun idea where people can get creative and mix some of their favorite things together :)

Sorry, even when just for fun, sometimes my analytic nature gets the best of me. XD

Pyoska
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Now I'm REALLY sad I probably won't be in attendance! You guys have to promise to do this in 2012, too!!!! :( I'm probably still going to design a LadyKat!Ony burlesque- in all of her red and purple glory! It'll just have to wait, though.

Tonksie
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry, even when just for fun, sometimes my analytic nature gets the best of me. XD

Which is great and why you always have such awesome costumes! But other people may not want to be quite so analytical :)

LilLadyBug
11-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Okay...I'm seriously considering joining as sind-y and ditching the sprite for day two. I'm afraid of the lynching I'll receive....so I'm not committing yet....but we'll see what I get done this year.

Tonksie
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Okay...I'm seriously considering joining as sind-y and ditching the sprite for day two. I'm afraid of the lynching I'll receive....so I'm not committing yet....but we'll see what I get done this year.

Could mix the two and do a burlesque version of the sprite! You're already mostly there!

Nozze
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
To expand on the whole steampunk thing, I've been doing some research to try and figure out what the hell to do for Kalecgos/blue dragonflight. I've been talking it out with my boyfriend (a fantasy, science, math junkie), and really the blue dragonflight would be the ones who are more associated with steampunk than the bronze dragonflight. Steampunk just usually has bronze/gold colors, which I think is what is misleading.

Nozdormu is described as being patience incarnate, and with the whole ebb and flow of time, sands and desert, they'd probably be more eastern culture/Tibetan Monk inspired than they would be steampunk. The pocket watches associated with steampunk can inspire the fashion for bronze dragonflight (and it doesn't help that sometimes when portraying the bronze dragonflight, Blizzard uses "contraptions" that give off a steampunk vibe) so I'm not saying they can't be steampunk at all, but I'd say anyone going blue probably wants to start looking at steampunk for their inspiration. You'll just have to get more creative since the color scheme doesn't match!

I know that for Kalecgos I'm thinking more along the lines of just incorporating designs of what inspires me when I think of the blue dragonflight into the burlesque dress, instead of making a steampunk-themed dress. I hope that makes sense. Black dragonflight has it so easy lol. Death, punk, goth = gg.

edit: I have more to add to this but I need to leave to go to my DND session (haha gosh...), so I'll edit this once I get to my nerd cave err I mean store. :)

edit 2: I know this is just for fun, but I'm really loving researching everything and getting to know each dragonflight better than I did even before, so I'm just sharing what I find with everyone. Of course anyone can do whatever inspires them! That's the best part of ideas like this and I LOVE that Tonksie shared her idea. :)

birdyface
11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
What do you all think? I'm not sure if it's burlesque/steampunk/etc enough. I did have a ton of fun researching Tyrande's outfit though!

Tyrande (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_tyrande.png)

I'm also kicking around an idea for Sylvanas, but again I'm not sure if it's the right style. Also I think someone else is doing Sylvanas?

Sylvanas (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_sylvanas.png)

Picspam, ahoy!

Fiendle
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
What do you all think? I'm not sure if it's burlesque/steampunk/etc enough. I did have a ton of fun researching Tyrande's outfit though!

Tyrande (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_tyrande.png)

I'm also kicking around an idea for Sylvanas, but again I'm not sure if it's the right style. Also I think someone else is doing Sylvanas?

Sylvanas (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_tyrande.png)

Picspam, ahoy!

You put the same link for both characters. Sylvanas here. (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_sylvanas.png)

I think they are a nice start, but to get the burlesque idea across better, poof up the skirts a bit, and maybe add some big feathers on Sylvanas, since she already has the feathers in her actual outfit. :) Maybe add some more moon motifs on Tyrande? I do love the detailing on Tyrande's bodice.

birdyface
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
You put the same link for both characters. Sylvanas here. (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_sylvanas.png)

I think they are a nice start, but to get the burlesque idea across better, poof up the skirts a bit, and maybe add some big feathers on Sylvanas, since she already has the feathers in her actual outfit. :) Maybe add some more moon motifs on Tyrande? I do love the detailing on Tyrande's bodice.

Bah, I always have problems with photobucket copying highlighted links correctly. >_<; Thanks for catching that.

The skirt is poofy on both, it's just on the backside (going to have a huge awesome bustle). I should probably draw a 3/4 or rear view of the costume, since it doesn't really translate well from the front. ^^;

More feathers on Sylvanas would be good, I just didn't want to get too silly, since she's all skulls and badass armor for her in-game model/concept art.

Fiendle
11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Bah, I always have problems with photobucket copying highlighted links correctly. >_<; Thanks for catching that.

The skirt is poofy on both, it's just on the backside (going to have a huge awesome bustle). I should probably draw a 3/4 or rear view of the costume, since it doesn't really translate well from the front. ^^;

More feathers on Sylvanas would be good, I just didn't want to get too silly, since she's all skulls and badass armor for her in-game model/concept art.

Ah, back bustles will work great! ^^
And this costume theme is somewhat silly, imaginative, and up to artistic license to begin with, so don't feel bad about "getting too silly". I think it would be flamboyantly awesome. :3

Tonksie
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Sylvanas (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/steampunk_sylvanas.png)

Picspam, ahoy!

WOW! Those are gorgeous. I wish I could draw like you! I love the top portion of Sylvanas's corset. It is a really good way of incorporating her normal outfit into it.
Tyrande is also gorgeous, I love the detailing on the corset!

Etrina
11-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Picspam, ahoy!

fyi you stole my brain..../facepalm

I've been throwing Sylvanas around in my head the last couple days as far as color combinations and whether or not she should wear her hood/cloak whether or not to encorporate her breastplate along with a corset....
I don't so much like the sleevy deal, unless it could be like a little bolero jacket - but I love it. You stole my brain and put it on paper I swear (and way better than I ever could have drawn her)

I agree on the feathers though as well :) Maybe on the trim of the skirt or something.

birdyface
11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
fyi you stole my brain..../facepalm

I've been throwing Sylvanas around in my head the last couple days as far as color combinations and whether or not she should wear her hood/cloak whether or not to encorporate her breastplate along with a corset....
I don't so much like the sleevy deal, unless it could be like a little bolero jacket - but I love it. You stole my brain and put it on paper I swear (and way better than I ever could have drawn her)

I agree on the feathers though as well :) Maybe on the trim of the skirt or something.

Yeah, the top is a little bolero jacket. I wanted to do something to mimic the shoulders but not go for all-out armor. I still would like to incorporate the skulls in there somewhere, but I just haven't figured how yet.

snarkie
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm definitely too analytical for my own good, so it's nice to hear others' opinions on things, even if they're also analytical. :)

@birdyface: Those are really great! I like both, but I'm fond of Sylvanas in particular, I think because of the bolero. Very cool. The skulls could be subtle, like buttons/clasps/etc. Or hanging from the tassels on the bottom of the bolero, maybe? (Kind of like the bead work you see in a lot of burlesque costumes.) Or even as simple as a Victorian cameo-inspired piece at her neck?

Aleze
11-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Got inspired and spent half an hour working on a concept piece of burlesque Deathwing. It's sorta messy and the anatomy might be *a little* off.. :/

That is amazingly awesome. I would make that exact design a reality in a heartbeat. Let me know if whoever does Deathwing goes in a different direction, and I will do it.

Someone should try to convince Blizzard to have a steam punk ball or something so that you all have a specific event to wear your costumes to.

Anyway . . . for next year I'm getting excited about Kerrigan.

Nozze
11-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I really love the Sylvanas concept piece. It screams burlesque to me, especially knowing about the bustle.

Pouffe
11-04-2010, 01:23 AM
That is amazingly awesome. I would make that exact design a reality in a heartbeat. Let me know if whoever does Deathwing goes in a different direction, and I will do it.

Thanks! :D

Feel free to use my concept piece for Deathwing if you'd like (as long as credit is given, of course!). I think people are doing doubles+ of some of the aspects anyway so you don't have to worry about "claiming" a character, I think? Let me know if I'm wrong here.

catfetus
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm really excited to see what you guys end up doing for this, it's going to be epic <3
One thing I am wondering about is the hair, don't forget to do burlesque style pinup hair! :D

Maryssa
11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Here is my ridiculously fast sketch with far too many overlapping scribbles/elements. Just sort of my brainstorm process and then I'll streamline it down. I'm more happy with the back than the front, I thought it would be cute if we did little wings as part of the "butt" peices!

I'm just using my same wig, I don't really want to restyle or ruin it so I'm not sure how to make it fit the pinup theme more =/ I'm also just going to reuse the corset I made for my Labyrinth Ball version of Alex since it was really hard to make and I'd prefer to stay on the cheap for this.

Tonksie
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Here is my ridiculously fast sketch with far too many overlapping scribbles/elements. Just sort of my brainstorm process and then I'll streamline it down. I'm more happy with the back than the front, I thought it would be cute if we did little wings as part of the "butt" peices!

I'm just using my same wig, I don't really want to restyle or ruin it so I'm not sure how to make it fit the pinup theme more =/ I'm also just going to reuse the corset I made for my Labyrinth Ball version of Alex since it was really hard to make and I'd prefer to stay on the cheap for this.

Love it!! It's perfect for Alex. Incorporating the wings into the bustle is a really good idea.

Also don't feel bad about not having "burlesque" style hair. I'm not going to either. As much as I love pin-up style hair (seriously, I want to just be able to style my own hair that way all the time) I thought it was a bit too soft for my character. Since I'm doing Lady Deathing, I want a more 'punk' edge to my hair. I'm looking at doing a fauxhawk, either just normal, or in one of those really tough looking ponytails (sometimes seen on project runway, but I can't seem to find pictures of them anywhere). I just need to figure out how to style a wig to do that...

birdyface
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM

I love the butt-wings! :D And all the rest! Hearing what everyone brainstorms is making me super excited.

Maryssa
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Actually it occurred to me it might be easier to make the wings as one of the draped pieces wrapping around the skirt instead (out of cloth), less dealing with 3D things that may fall over, and it might look more elegant that way.

Annnnd in fixing that on my sketch I thought I would add butterflies sort of floating over my flower explosions!!! (on little wires) omggggggg

And in typing this I may add flowers on my shoes to give the idea of the whole flowers-sprout-where-she-steps thing.

STOP ME NOW before this gets tacky-tastic.

snarkie
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm just using my same wig, I don't really want to restyle or ruin it so I'm not sure how to make it fit the pinup theme more =/
Might just add a flower or feather... something that's not permanent. Really, though, I think you could wear it as is and it'll look great.

Also, butt wings! I was thinking of doing a bolero/jacket and attaching wings there, but butt wings are very tempting. And it's a really good way to have cohesion in the group without being all matchy.

STOP ME NOW before this gets tacky-tastic.
If you're worried about going overboard, I'd pick the flower shoes before butterflies, I think because I know the flower thing as something very specific and interesting about her character. The butterflies are a cool addition, but less character related. (Although I don't know Alex as well as you, so I may be wrong!)

birdyface
11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Might just add a flower or feather... something that's not permanent. Really, though, I think you could wear it as is and it'll look great.

Or a ... TINY HAT! (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lkP_r77niLk/SloukAIzd8I/AAAAAAAAAMA/qmb_HpoQB0M/S220/mini+top+hat.jpg)

Or there's always the fascinator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinator).

Etrina
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I'll probably end up with a hood on - so I wont be styling anything. Plus wig styling is a pain the ass....and my hair will never be white irl so...yeah :P

Tonksie
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Or a ... TINY HAT! (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lkP_r77niLk/SloukAIzd8I/AAAAAAAAAMA/qmb_HpoQB0M/S220/mini+top+hat.jpg)

Or there's always the fascinator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascinator).

I <3 tiny hats. If I can't figure out how to make a wig do what I want, I'm totally going with a something like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/60546539/black-rose-victorian-mourning-veil?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_search_query=victorian+hat+veil+black&ga_search_type=&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=handmade&filter[1]=accessories&filter[2]=hat

or
http://www.etsy.com/listing/60308989/small-black-skull-burlesque-mini-top-hat?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=victorian+hat+veil+black&ga_search_type=&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=handmade&filter[1]=accessories&filter[2]=hat

Nozze
11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I'll probably end up with a hood on - so I wont be styling anything. Plus wig styling is a pain the ass....and my hair will never be white irl so...yeah :P

Bleach bleach bleach, toner, more bleach, more toner, bleach! Congratulations, your hair is now white but is also the texture of straw! WEE!

Etrina
11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Bleach bleach bleach, toner, more bleach, more toner, bleach! Congratulations, your hair is now white but is also the texture of straw! WEE!

yeah we did that....it turned YELLOW and I had to go to a salon to have it fixed. Thankfully my hair is pretty resilient and didnt A)fall apart or B) turn to straw....wont be doing that again though lol.

Nozze
11-04-2010, 09:18 PM
yeah we did that....it turned YELLOW and I had to go to a salon to have it fixed. Thankfully my hair is pretty resilient and didnt A)fall apart or B) turn to straw....wont be doing that again though lol.

Oh you're so lucky. >_< My hair flipped out when I bleached it and it's still pretty screwed up from it. I'm with you - never again. D:

WR_Pouncival
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, Pouncival here. I know it's been awhile since I've popped up on here, but now that I'm back and have had a while to clean everything up, get my stuff and myself organized, I'd just like to join in.

I know my last post was pretty emo. I'm sorry for being so mopey, but I hope you understand how I feel after pouring months of work and hundreds of dollars into something only to have it go bottoms up on you at the last minute.

I also know I said I didn't feel like going, but looking back, I was sad, frustrated, and exhausted. I had my little pity party Friday morning, got cleaned up, and sat down for a minute to rest and collect myself...and fell asleep (read: passed out) 'till 4PM. I woke up, got dressed, and hauled ass to Anaheim, but due to traffic I ended up missing almost the whole first day. Blah. Not all bad news, though. As I got to the convention hall, and walked in (saw a couple sweet costumes on the way in, too!), I started to remember why I wanted to cosplay and why I wanted to go to BlizzCon. I love gaming, and I love Blizzard games. Gaming is my true passion, and I go to BlizzCon because I love to be with the games and the people I care about most.

I cosplay at BlizzCon because I want to go above and beyond to show my fandom and my love for the games, players, and people who make them.

I had forgotten that. In the midst of trying to get everything to work, I lost sight of WHY I was cosplaying. I was...obsessed...with getting the costume done just to get it done and wear it, which kind of defeats the spirit of Cosplay, if you ask me.

SO! Here we go again for 2011, and yes, I will be throwing myself back into the ring next year if the circumstances allow.*

I learned/realized a lot about costuming and came up with some ways to improve myself:

-Appearance: I am a big person, over 6 feet tall and with a barrel chest. I have a big frame. I am also somewhat overweight. Because of this, I try to make costumes that have lots of armor that can cover or hide my body shape. Usually costumes like that are large, elaborate, and require work from master cosplayers or a ton of time. And since I don't like to show off my current body shape, the best way to fix that is to finally start getting in shape. I've always wanted an excuse, this is as good as any.

-Experience: I am a novice cosplayer. I have made 3 costumes, and finished one. My skill in cosplay is like...100/450 or something. I can do more if I do less, if you know what I mean. Next year, I'm going to try to stay mostly human, and pick something I can DO.

-Time Management: Procrastination is my demon. I put off stuff too long and then everything takes longer than I think it will because of my inexperience. If I start earlier, I have the much needed time to work, and I don't have to hurry and take shortcuts or get sloppy and sacrifice quality. This is a huge one for me.

So, to get back on the thread topic, I've been brainstorming for next year. I think I would like to make a cool armor tier from Cataclysm or maybe a more simplified Starcraft costume. I'll see what's out there and start again. Earlier this year. Regardless, I'm already looking forward to next year.

That's all I have for now. Thank you for sitting through my long winded post about, well, myself. I'm sorry I missed so many of you at the con but I'm looking at the photos and they are just awesome. I'm really proud of our community this year. Congratulations to everyone.

*you may have noticed an asterisk waaaaaay up near the start of this rambling post. The reason I say circumstances permitting is that I am actively seeking a job at Blizzard Entertainment, and have been for 4 years. I moved to California because I came to understand that most of their entry level positions are filled locally. By this time next year I hope to be gainfully employed by them and as such, may end up working the con. If not, I am going to cosplay (I just won't enter the contest). Thats really the end of this massive post, I promise.

catfetus
11-06-2010, 10:57 AM
It sucks that you had to go through that :( But I'm glad that you still went to the con! It's completely understandable that you were so disappointed.

I missed my flight Thursday morning (had never missed a flight before) due to an alarm malfunction and was freaking out, almost crying (I did a little), thinking that I wouldn't be able to wear my costume since I might not get there on time, my suitcase with all my parts might get lost in all the standby transport, I would miss most of the con, etc. But you just have to keep a level head and do whatever you can do.

Exercising for cosplay purposes is a pretty good motivation (it's my only one too...) :D Take it slowly, start exercising a little bit at first and gradually do more and more so it doesn't feel like a chore. If you can find a sport that you enjoy that really helps, it's more like you are just enjoying yourself rather than forcing yourself to do something.

essex1984
11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
OMG!! Had to toss this up to the ladies doing the dragons. (still love the idea)
SINDRAGOSA.jpg (http://9pgbrq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pq-AutZClq8gbIj3axp48nfWYjXuk-I44TBjSFh7bP3ELtqjCtanW988BZEWNeRQc6Rj1AsY4mKDSPEH 8X7LpbQ/SINDRAGOSA.jpg)

Thought this image may strike a cord or help out with some ideas on a lesser loved Dragon.

Merodi
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
OMG!! Had to toss this up to the ladies doing the dragons. (still love the idea)
SINDRAGOSA.jpg (http://9pgbrq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pq-AutZClq8gbIj3axp48nfWYjXuk-I44TBjSFh7bP3ELtqjCtanW988BZEWNeRQc6Rj1AsY4mKDSPEH 8X7LpbQ/SINDRAGOSA.jpg)

Thought this image may strike a cord or help out with some ideas on a lesser loved Dragon.

Who drew that? It looks AWESOME.

Etrina
11-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I love the OHAI I'M HOLDING A HEAD look on her face. FAN FLIPPIN TASTIC

LilLadyBug
11-13-2010, 12:10 AM

This is actually the pic I was using for reference on Sindy! :D Pretty huh? I'm planing on Sindy if I decide not to bring back the sprite :)

Pouffe
11-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Yar, I saw that drawing while googling images of Sindragosa! The design is pretty cool. I have a totally different concept for her in mind though. :D

dbchan
11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
oh wow. I'm definitely sworn to not crafting any new cosplay until after the new year, but that doesn't mean I can't plan.

and this is an incredibly awesome idea!

The drawings that are up in this thread are fantastic.

Maryssa
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Blah so now I'm having doubts, and it seems like a bunch of people want to do Kerrigan (though this seems to happen every year). I may just say screw it and finally make C'thun with the materials I bought for it ages ago. I don't even care if it's not prize eligible, I'm just too discouraged to make anything else at the moment. Plus it'd allow me to wear clothes I could do the dance contest in.

Merodi
11-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Blah so now I'm having doubts, and it seems like a bunch of people want to do Kerrigan (though this seems to happen every year). I may just say screw it and finally make C'thun with the materials I bought for it ages ago. I don't even care if it's not prize eligible, I'm just too discouraged to make anything else at the moment. Plus it'd allow me to wear clothes I could do the dance contest in.

Dude. Everyone always says they're going to do this or that and no one ever does. I say do what you WANT to do. Don't let anyone else stop you.

Though, if you do have materials for something, it would be a good idea not to let it go to waste.

Maryssa
11-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Well yeah, but I also have zero experience with the materials I'd need (though many of my friends do) and I'm not sure I'd have enough time/money/skill to pull it off at the level I'd be happy with.

Nozze
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I feel you. I think that's what happens - everyone says they're going to do Kerrigan (and honestly... Kerrigan is an amazing female character, something that's rare in the video game world, so not surprising she's a popular pick), realize how expensive it'd be to do it "right", then change their minds and/or don't do it. Hell, I know that's what happened with my plans. D: I decided to just make her an ongoing project and she'll be done when she's done until I have lots lots lots of free time/money. It's something you could always do. =)

krystlejo42
11-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Woohoo! I'm excited! I talked one of my friends into cosplaying with me for this coming year! We're starting sometime within the next couple weeks. We're going to attempt to use Essex's horn tutorial on his blog for it. Oh right... my friend has decided to cosplay as Garrosh Hellscream. the new model. lol.

ProjectMatrix
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
lol @ Maryssa: yea I'm doing infested kerrigan as well, of course when i'm done with my sister benedron costume. I was gonna start on her right away but I had already bought too many materials for sister benedron to scrap her now and start on kerrigan. Yea, she's gonna be my most expensive to date but she won't be ready til blizzcon 2012. Thankfully I have learned moldmaking, the only problem is I learned and am comfortable with expensive stuff to do it with. :/ Such is the nature of things. This is why I only do one a year. Also thank goodness my hubby doesn't wanna dress up, cause I can't make kerrigan and something else at the same time! Everything is figured out except a good way to break up her RIDICULOUS wings to fit in a very large suitcase...I am only shipping it as a last resort...and I'd have to ship it to essex XD. And I'm stubborn so you WILL see an infested kerrigan at blizzcon 2012 (gee, i don't plan in advance, I don't know what your talking about XD)

best of luck to all! Hope to see you guys at Blizzcon! Hopefully my hubby can get off from work...he's in the army so they like to be retarded about letting him off : /

Tonksie
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Aspect of awesome-rs! Please go post real quick on the facebook page if you're wanting to be involved. In an attempt to make it clearer who is actually going to do it and those who just like the idea, I'm going to attempt to make it a private group. I don't want to accidentally leave anyone who wants to be involved out.

ProjectMatrix
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
@Tonksie, oh man I wish I could join yall! I would have so much fun with that! But i vowed only one costume a year so i can't v.v plus time would be a little difficult considering my other costume that I'm doing. Best of luck to yall and I hope i get to see all of you ladies with your burlesque group!

EDIT: hmmm maybe if I used scrap materials I can break that vow a little bit! I'd either like to do that drawing Essex linked or lady deathwing! Seeing how the colors I have to work with are white and black broadcloth, red velvet, and gold matte satin...hmmm what could be done with that...plus I could sculpt up some quick easy armor for deathwing out of scrap resin...hmmmm possibilities. Let me know which you would rather have me do. I can always dye the white fabric for the blue too

alicetehfaerie
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
For the people who are considering doing burlesque costumes the second day, if you aren't already skilled at making corsets, I have to recommend this lady for custom corsets:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/damselinthisdress
I had her do a custom corset for me with extra boning in the back for my current project, and had her tweak the design a little bit, and she charged me what she usually charges for a ready made corset, and it got her so quick it's insane. I just paid for it two weeks ago and today it was at my door. These corsets have GOOD boning in them, girls, you know what I'm talking about when you get a cheap corset and you sit down and the boning starts to bend and then it stays bent and looks terrible? These things hold you in, and they do it well. If you're iffy about making corsets yourself or don't really know how to, then definitely contact her. Oh, and did I mention they're extremely affordable? Cheaper than the lower quality ones at Fredericks. She also makes bustles and such, too, if you're looking for more, but I would definitely recommend her for her corsets. Her simple corsets without sleeves or too many embellishments are well under 100, and if you catch a sale or one on clearance, they can be as low as 40.
I don't generally promote people like this, but omg. I am in love with this lady.

Edited to say that I think I've figured out what I'm doing for Blizzcon, and will be starting on it soon, but since I'm not 100% that I can pull it off, I won't be saying who or posting any pictures until I'm sure that it can be done :/ Essex, though, may be doing a simpler costume, that we may post progress of.

dbchan
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm liking her style!

That vixen style one with some red accents would be dashing for my headless horseman. I love that collar. I'd still have to make it taller (or she would) but it's a start.

Reformed Tomboy
01-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Edited to say that I think I've figured out what I'm doing for Blizzcon, and will be starting on it soon, but since I'm not 100% that I can pull it off, I won't be saying who or posting any pictures until I'm sure that it can be done :/ Essex, though, may be doing a simpler costume, that we may post progress of.

I can't wait to hear what you're going to do! That not-sure-I-can-do-this-but-I-am-really-crazy-enough-to-try feeling sure is fun huh? Good luck!

I'm making some real progress over here planning-wise. I've cut some patterns, and already located the perfect piece of leather and I'm hoping it isn't sold before I can get it on friday. I bought a better pair of base boots that are easier to put on, fit better, and are way more comfortable. I'll be starting the covers on this week with my left over supplies.

Meanwhile I'm still working out the final kinks in this design, and hope to be able to make final estimates on my ring order soon. My major obstacle right now is how I'm going to do the tail, so it's the hardest to measure at the moment.

I wish I had pictures to post, but I just don't. Unless someone wants to see pictures of my hand drawn notes lol!

Also, what do you guys suggest: Because the design is different, this is new costume right? Even though it's the same character? I'm trying to figure out where I'll post pictures in my profile..

Tonksie
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I've heard really good things about Damsel in this dress corsets! Their corsets are lovely and such good pricing. I just wish they had front-busk/back-lacing corsets.

@Reformed: If the costume is pretty different, I would definitely make a new costume profile for it. I like it better when people do that so that I can see the difference between the two versions more easily. Sounds like you're getting a lot done! Can't wait to see it!

As for myself, I've actually gotten my bustle petticoat about 90% done and am getting ready to start on the skirt. The only thing that is holding me up is that I have absolutely no freaking clue what color the bodice and train is supposed to be. I'm at work, so I can't link wowhead, but if anyone wants to help, look up Lisa McKeever on Wowhead and let me know what color you think it's supposed to be. It looks like a cream, brown and grey all in different parts, but I'm thinking that might be the shading? It kind of looks more grey than anything else, but I'm leaning toward a cafe au lait sort of color, since it goes with the darker brown and kind of bronzey color of the rest of the dress. Grey, brown and bronze would be pretty weird. What do you all think?

LalaFTL
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Looks like my barb costume is going to be put on hold to see if I can get money for a trip to Ireland with my mum in the summer. I already have some of the stuff I was planning to use for my Maiev burlesque lying around the house so I may just do that. I'm kind of ignorant to some aspects of the designs so you guys should definitely post more sketches. :D lol I think it's mostly hair I am worried about... I'll see if I can pop off some sketches this week.

Edit: Not sure if I'm going to do the WC3 or WoW version of Maiev... I've always favored cosplaying the WC3 version but I think I may like the color scheme of the WoW version better for a project like this...

Tonksie
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Trip to ireland >>>>>>> costume that can be done another year. How exciting!

Nozze
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
@Reformed: I think it's fine if you do a different costume profile for the new design. I believe that's the most common practice.

The Damsel In This Dress corsets are definitely gorgeous, though it just makes me want to learn by her design. I do think the green one she has posted would be lovely for any Ysera's out there, though. :)

dbchan
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
. The only thing that is holding me up is that I have absolutely no freaking clue what color the bodice and train is supposed to be. I'm at work, so I can't link wowhead, but if anyone wants to help, look up Lisa McKeever on Wowhead and let me know what color you think it's supposed to be. It looks like a cream, brown and grey all in different parts, but I'm thinking that might be the shading? It kind of looks more grey than anything else, but I'm leaning toward a cafe au lait sort of color, since it goes with the darker brown and kind of bronzey color of the rest of the dress. Grey, brown and bronze would be pretty weird. What do you all think?

I think the bodice front panel looks like a nice, creamy coffee color. The sides look more gray to me but it does seem like they almost have brown on them. The train looks like it's gray at top, and then goes into that same gray/brown into the bottom. Maybe you could try create a gradient like that with some airbrushing?

birdyface
05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Hello, old thread resurrection! This is more brainstorming and less progress report, so I figured I'd post about this here. Feel free to correct me if this should go elsewhere.

How ridiculous would a femme/gender-bendy Nozdormu be as a costume to wear for Blizzcon? How likely do you all think the judges at the costume contest would take something like this seriously?

LalaFTL
05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
They seemed to be genuinely interested in my boob-sporting Illidan, so I would encourage it. :D I didn't really expect to win anything though, haha.

Hooray for thread necro!

birdyface
05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
To be fair, I think most people were interested in your boob-sporting Illidan. It was an awesome costume!

LilLadyBug
05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Hello, old thread resurrection! This is more brainstorming and less progress report, so I figured I'd post about this here. Feel free to correct me if this should go elsewhere.

How ridiculous would a femme/gender-bendy Nozdormu be as a costume to wear for Blizzcon? How likely do you all think the judges at the costume contest would take something like this seriously?

We have a female Noz for the Day 2 Burlesque group - so it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

LalaFTL
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
To be fair, I think most people were interested in your boob-sporting Illidan. It was an awesome costume!

Thank you! With a crooked ratio of female:male costumes and female:male cosplayers (yeah, I totally ratio'd two ratios; I think I just lost myself), I really don't think lady versions of any of the male characters would be too totally weird (cept for maybe pit lords? lol). Lyeric's femme Arthas turned out great as well! As long as you stick to the theme of the character to modify the shirtlessness, you can make it blend pretty well with the male design.

birdyface
05-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Yo dawg I heard you like ratios..?

There isn't a terrible lot to modify with doing a lady Nozdormu, just axe the facial hair and give her something to keep from getting booted for indecent exposure.. the back spikes will be interesting. Prosthetics casting, woo!

Thanks for the input, all. I'm still torn between a femmeNozdormu or Ysera's current model, but I'm glad that Nozdormu's not completely out for now.

ProjectMatrix
05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
You could always use some of the same fabric used on the undersash to continue up to make a halter top. The hair would cover it so it would look like your shirtless ; ) but not be. I do suggest lots of fashion tape, it's a god send! I'd love to see that done though! I think the design itself is stunning

birdyface
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I just know someone else (a guy, I think) is planning to do Nozdormu as well. But.. eh, we can have both. Photos together would be epic! :D

LilLadyBug
05-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Yeah, I just know someone else (a guy, I think) is planning to do Nozdormu as well. But.. eh, we can have both. Photos together would be epic! :D

I think that model inspired lots of people - my hubby's doing Noz and I believe Kitty's boyfriend was thinking about it as well!

Nozze
05-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Let's go for more Nozdormus than tier sets! :P

LalaFTL
05-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Army of Nozdormus and army of femme barbs, gooooooooo!

Cjiadon
06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking to trying a female wizard from Diablo III but I can't deicide which costume. Between the concept art, her cinematic trailer and whatnot I can't decide.

snarkie
06-06-2011, 01:29 AM
[EDIT: Tickets are sold. Thanks!!]

Thanks! Sorry to hijack the thread. To make up for it, here's some of the progress I made on my costume last year before I injured myself not taking the proper safety precautions like a dummy. Hoping to finish it up for this year if I can, but I don't know if I'll have the time. +10 points if you know what it is (unless your name is Maryssa and you already know). :)

http://vault.snarkie.com/wow/blizzcon2011/DSC_0050.jpg

AnimeGamer
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Okay guys, Blizzard has finally gotten around to making humanoid models of all the currently living Dragon Aspects.

Photoshoot at BlizzCon 2011 with Alexstraza, Ysera, Nozdormu, Kalecgos, and Deathwing? Lets make it happen! :P

Aleze
07-06-2011, 08:56 PM
So, suddenly I'm thinking about Blizzcon again. Probably because I just finished a costume and I'm dreaming about what's next. I have a bunch of ideas, most of which I'll probably never do.

But I'm thinking that what I'd really like is to be part of a group or a pair that goes together. So does anyone want me to make a costume that goes with theirs or their group?

You wouldn't be disappointed. I make impressive-looking costumes on short notice, and I'd start working in August.

cyrwrynn
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
*waves to some peeps she already knows*

I'll hopefully have a status report on my Tarecgosa!burlesque cosplay. One of my guildies has been going through the staff quests and took some screenies for me as she actually has an elven form ^-^~

sanfordcam
07-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Hello all (and to those of you from Facebook!)! So excited to be attending Blizzcon2011 after wanting to the last several years!
I'm currently in the makings of a Tyrande Whisperwind cosplay (my facebook page with progress pictures is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petrai-Cosplay/220773454632008) and am extremely excited to meet everyone!

Any wonderful Malfurions out there!? ;P

ProjectMatrix
07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
*raises hand frantically* I'm a malfurian! And it's looking good! I wish I had the bone structure to pull off an elf : /

Idmaif
07-23-2011, 07:34 PM
i think you guys are part of the cause that makes me kinda go crazy and dream about blizzcon and wow and such... you guys make your costumes look so real that i feel like im in the game! it starts to screw with my head and i think thats why ive been having so many dreams about blizzcon lately, also just because im crazy about blizzcon haha...

anyway, im not complaining! keep up the good work!