PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Judging Tips & Tricks

Yui
10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
The following list is composed of various experiences judging at the past 5 Youmacons. Some people have asked if the judges have any sort of tips that would facilitate the interviewing process, so I wanted to share them before the con. These are by no means regulations - but rather tips to make your interview most efficient and non-stressful. Please double-check the Youmacon website (http://www.youmacon.com/cosplay.php#signups) itself for the actual contest rules. The info below is specifically for the Hallway Cosplay competition, but these would be good tips for the Masquerade craftsmanship judging as well.

- A reference is required, as already mentioned in the Youmacon rules. This reference can be anything - from an artbook to a cell phone screencap to an action figure.
…However, to go one step further, the judges would appreciate a color print-out that we may keep. This will GREATLY assist in remembering our notes. A few different angles would be the best, but try to select just a few refs max on ONE PAGE. (Progress books are super awesome normally, but for this convention we honestly do not have time to thoroughly consider them with the time restraints.)

- Prep your costume and be ready to go at your interview. Iron and delint your fabrics. Brush your wig, fix your make-up. etc. These are little details, but can be possibly detracting, especially when the scores are close.
...This is a new hotel, but we should be accessible restrooms near the judging waiting area, and they will be pointed out to you when you arrive for the line-up. Please feel free to make use of them.

- There will be a strict time limit imposed this year of exactly 5 minutes. Like…with an actual countdown timer. This isn't to freak anyone out - it's just to make sure no one accidentally eats up someone else's time slot. I believe last year we were fully booked on interviews, so I expect that to be the case this year as well.
...So, please also prepare your presentation; this IS part of your score - how well you can explain what you did. Because you only have a few minutes, know what you are going to tell the judges without their prompting. We may ask you a question or two at the end, but it is up to you to start things off. You probably won't have time to mention anything you are *not* satisfied with, so please concentrate on every aspect of you costume that you *are* proud of. (If the judges call you on something, please answer honestly, but don't aim to point out your flaws otherwise.)

- Also, before turning your judging sheet in, be sure to include your nickname, cosplay name or other alias (i.e. what you want to be know as in photo captions &/or announced publicly as) + the pronunciation if not obvious. Please also include applicable pronunciations for your character/series. We will not publish/use your real name unless you specifically say it's all right to do so.

Hope that's helpful. ^_- Any extra questions I can answer before I leave tomorrow morning. (I might have internet at the hotel, but I'm not counting on it.)

A.R.C.
06-08-2011, 03:13 AM
this was helpful for a a cosplayer that has been cosplaying forever, and is NOW entering masqurade XD

ashe2kawaii
09-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Very helpful, i have yet to be in a masqurade but this help immensely on how i should present myself. Thank You!