PDA

View Full Version : stubborn fat of...stuborness!

Megantron
10-28-2010, 01:09 PM
hello all. i'm currently trying to slim down a few inches from my waist and thighs. i'm not at all big, but want to get into better shape. so cutting down on junk and trying to work out more

buuuuuuut my weight keeps going all over from losing 3lbs to gaining 5lbs :blubber: i don't have a set weight but it'll flux from mid 120s to 130. not cool.

in short, just wanting to know some tips on how to slim down without bulking up a lot as far as weight. exercise and food tips are all welcome.

only i'm poor without equipment in mind ;)

nadwolff
10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
well im in a diet and i lost 7 pounds in 1 week, you need to stop eating junk food, bread, sodas. Eat chicken, vegetables, fruits, sea chicken, yougurt. and walk 30 mins at day

nadwolff
10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
o yes i forgot, eat 5 times at day.

Megantron
10-28-2010, 01:23 PM
sounds good nadwolff. i gave up soda last week and switched to tea, juice, and good old H2o. neighborhood here is bad so i can't get out to walk often, but my boyfriend's dad has a stepper i can jump on from time to time.

Rjr3412
10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
A few things to keep in mind while considering weight:

Don't weigh yourself mutliple times per day:
- Pick one consisten point in time to be your "weigh in" time. This is usually first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. It is the least likely to be affected by food and water intake.

Try not to weigh yourself multiple times per week:
- Unless you are following a rather dangerous diet, or have a very great deal of weight to lose, you shouldn't realistically expect more than a one to two pound drop in weight over the course of a week. If you are it is either water weight, or you are eating too little and losing muscle mass along with fat (which is bad)

Girls weight tends to fluctuate differently than boys:
- Due to hormonal shifts, girls can have times when they tend to retain more water than at other points in the month, which can lead to an increase in weight, without any change in lean body mass or fat. Tracking your weight fluctuations from week to week will give you a better expectation of what your weight should be.

I believe a far, far better practice for measuring progress is taking measurements and progress pictures. Once every week or two weeks is usually best. Keeping an actual record can also be extremely motivating, to look back and see what you accomplished, and often the scale doesn't budge while you completely transform yourself (aka recomposition).

nadwolff
10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
only one thing, if you are drinking juice they need to be natural because the ones that sales at markets they arent naturals and they have a lot of sugar

Megantron
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
yeah i go for 100% juice. giving up soda has been terribly hard though DX

32spartan11
10-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Rjr Makes some great points, as well as nadwolff.

To elaborate a little further into what nadwolff was saying about eating 5 meals take the normal amount of calories and spread them out over 5 meals. This will fire up your metabolism, as well as keep your glucose and insulin levels more evenly distributed throughout the day which tells you body not to store fat. (Eating sporadically leads to spikes in both and triggers your body to store fat)

As far as a workout routine I would recomend a citcuit routine using weights or body weighted exercise. Keeping the amount of reps high (12+) won't build much muscle, if any depending on your fitness level. a decent routine would focus on your full body and include (or varitaions of) The Dead lift, squat, pull up, bench press (or pushup), Shoulder/military press and a form of rows. These 6 different compound exercises hit just about every part of your body.

a basic beginer routine that is quick and doesnt need equipment would be to go from a leg-to a pushing-to a pulling-to an ab exercise, circuit. Such as Body weighted squats, then push ups, inverted rows (basically the opposite of a pushup), and a plank. Do that 3 times for starters with 12-20 reps each (25-45 seconds for plank) and that is a good basic circuit that will target the whole body and can be completed within a half hour. Do this three times a week with at least a day of rest in between.

A great place to find workouts, nutritional information would be http://www.womenshealthmag.com (Womens Health magazine website)If your looking for even more information for about $20 (including shipping) you could get the womens health big book of exercises http://http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288305838&sr=8-1 (Womens Health Big book of Exercises)

this has alot of great workouts and nutritional advice as well I have the mens health edition and use the information in it frequently

Hope that helps!

Megantron
10-29-2010, 07:21 PM
thnx ^^

distantarray
10-30-2010, 05:13 PM
carb cycle, take in good carbs like fruits like apples, pears, grapefruits, oranges etc in the morning. Generally try to stick to things that have a high nutritional value over things like grapes which doesn't really have much but sugar. keep these towards the mornings

Take some carbs before or/and after a workout is fine, and generally try to avoid carbs within 4 hours of sleep (unless you workout close to bedtime), meats and veggies only is a good rule.

distantarray
10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
also vary up your workouts, changing pace like say you jog for 30minutes, instead mix running walking sprinting jogging in random order. and say you run every other day, try resting for 3-4 days then doing triple sets on a single day etc, basically throwing your body out of it's routine and create muscle confusion is a great way to break through new barriers.

if your lifting weights don't rest more than 1 minute between sets, and run AFTER you lift (on leg training days, running after is NOT recommended)

Yukikittie
10-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Running. I joined cross country and ran every single week day. I slimmed down pretty well for only doing it for two months.

Megantron
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
thanks guys.

distantarray: i never thought to try those things! i have no weights but i know some strength training moves that can substitute till i can get some weights.

Berenice
11-03-2010, 10:49 AM
also vary up your workouts, changing pace like say you jog for 30minutes, instead mix running walking sprinting jogging in random order. and say you run every other day, try resting for 3-4 days then doing triple sets on a single day etc, basically throwing your body out of it's routine and create muscle confusion is a great way to break through new barriers.

if your lifting weights don't rest more than 1 minute between sets, and run AFTER you lift (on leg training days, running after is NOT recommended)

If you say "triple set"s it's three sets of 30 mins exercise in a day?

Also, what do you mean by "basically throwing your body out of it's routine and create muscle confusion is a great way to break through new barriers."

keinseele
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
well im in a diet and i lost 7 pounds in 1 week, you need to stop eating junk food, bread, sodas. Eat chicken, vegetables, fruits, sea chicken, yougurt. and walk 30 mins at day

so you say you lost 7 pounds by just doing that???
my dad got bariatric surgery for being way over weight so our eating habbits in my family have changed lots but it seems like just not eating junk food, soda, and eating chicken with every meal and walk more then 30 minutes a day (changed that long time ago and still no success?)

Megantron GOOD LUCK

32spartan11
11-03-2010, 11:56 AM
If you say "triple set"s it's three sets of 30 mins exercise in a day?

Also, what do you mean by "basically throwing your body out of it's routine and create muscle confusion is a great way to break through new barriers."

Triple Sets or tri-sets would be doing a set of exercise then immediately doing another and then another with no rest in between. resting only when you finish the three sets.

Muscle confusion is a term coined by Tony Horton and p90x, but basically our bodies are excellent at adapted to something. So for example if you do regular push ups everyday or every other day eventually your body is going to hit a peak and only be able to do so many.

If you switch from doing regular push ups to incline push ups it will work you muscles in a new way having them adapt to this new way (ie confusing them, though its not really confusion its just different that's why most health experts don't use the term, it's really more of a marketing term) allowing you to get past your plateau.

blacknekohinata
11-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Two things to keep in mind are
1. A girls weight goes up during her period do to bloating. Do not weigh during your time.
2. If it goes up and down that could simply mean you lost 3 pounds of fat and gained 2 in muscle. That's one thing I've seen a lot of people struggle with (watch The Biggest Loser). Most think that if they have lost some weight then gained a few pounds that they messed up and make themselves feel bad. But muscle does add weight. It's nothing to get upset over.

Megantron
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
well i've lost inches even though my weight is always up and down so i guess i'm doing well ^^

ShineyPenny
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
32spartan11 has great points.

Women tend to stick with muscle toning (more reps, less weight) whereas guys do the opposite to gain muscle.

Go easy on that juice. Juice is usually loaded with sugar (natural or synthetic), I think the suggested daily sugar intake is 15 grams.

Rjr3412
11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
well i've lost inches even though my weight is always up and down so i guess i'm doing well ^^

Inches are totally what counts. Its great to have measurable positive changes. The scale can be misleading, and water retention can screw with your mind, but as long as you can track improvements you know you're on the right track.

I was getting annoyed with myself when I see that I think I looked better a few weeks ago, but when doing measurements I see that I took another half inch or so off my stomach, so something is working.

Loplod
11-08-2010, 11:32 PM
And even if you can't see changes, Just wait, People you know will come up to you and talk to you about it. Or you'll put on some pants that used to be the right size and they will feel loose.

And never forget that feeling, That feeling that you have accomplished something. So every time you think "I'm to tired to go for a run" you can reflect back on how good it feels to put effort in, and then go for the longest run ever and feel like you are the king of the world.