PDA

View Full Version : Original Versions of Existing Characters

Art1st4786
10-29-2010, 01:16 PM
How do you guys feel about original versions of an already existing character? For example, I make original Zelda designs, but I'm still cosplaying as Zelda. Do you feel it falls along the lines of "creative interpretation" or "out of character" for said character? Does anyone else cosplay original versions of existing characters?

Yukikittie
10-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I think it falls in creative interpretation. :) I haven't done it yet, but I don't see a problem with it.

Stormraven24
10-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I quite like the idea of it. Heck, I already have plans in the works for original interpretations of Red Riding Hood and the White Rabbit (Alice in Wonderland). Oh, and the Mad Hatter. Gave her a backstory and everything :P

Miki Starwind
10-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I love it! Oftentimes, people come up with the most amazing designs, and it's super fun to see. :3

I've actually toyed with the idea of designing a "but make sure you tell me that ten years form now" version of Maria Ushiromiya. Not only because that particular joke/punchline is my favorite line in the entire anime, but because, while I love Maria, I wouldn't feel that comfortable wearing the cutesy lolita original 9-year-old design. I would actually like something based off her style, but more appropriate for a high school upperclassman age. I don't know if I'll go for it, but the idea's been on my mind...

Art1st4786
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I love it! Oftentimes, people come up with the most amazing designs, and it's super fun to see. :3

I've actually toyed with the idea of designing a "but make sure you tell me that ten years form now" version of Maria Ushiromiya. Not only because that particular joke/punchline is my favorite line in the entire anime, but because, while I love Maria, I wouldn't feel that comfortable wearing the cutesy lolita original 9-year-old design. I would actually like something based off her style, but more appropriate for a high school upperclassman age. I don't know if I'll go for it, but the idea's been on my mind...

I say go for it! That sounds like a really good idea!

Axelai
10-29-2010, 02:23 PM

if she ever survives to that age XD I'd imagine her in Ange's school uniform. They'd probably go to the same school.

EDIT: To add to the actual discussion... i'm cosplaying an original version of an existing character. But its not MY original version. Its from a doujinshi that i fell in love with <3 Yay fem!America in a polka dot bikini <333

haruhi32
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
ooh this sounds soo cool ^-^ I don't see why people would dislike anyone for adding on to a character that you love's wardrobe. I've thought about it myself and decided to go for it. I am still desingning but it should turn out well x3

Soku
10-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Well I've changed design elements for cosplays ( Like for my Syaoran costume I made some cool shorts instead of boring cargo pants) does that count? I try to stay true to the design, though sometimes I make my own interpretation as well if I think it works better than the original xD

Sikorsky
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I've actually cosplayed L from Death Note in a different outfit (photos here: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/196215/ ) I haven't worn it out yet but my next meet is in a couple of weeks.

I think it's a totally awesome idea, and I intend to do it for most of the characters I intend to cosplay - especially based on crossovers and cool fanart. For instance, I'm going to cosplay Russia from Hetalia as a the man from the viral DirecTV advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMsSIjQXxo), and in the outfit he wears in the fanmade Amore Mio video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKYjMMzMiYg).

Miyabi-
10-29-2010, 08:20 PM
If you want to make an original design go for it..just don't get upset if someone doesn't get it right away and it's all good.

kiratsukai
10-29-2010, 08:40 PM
If you do it well and it makes sense, it mightbe enjoyable for others.
If you do it poorly and it isn't well thought out, it might still be enjoyable for you.
Worst case scenario: no one else "gets it" or asks for a photo.
If you can live with that ~ go for it.

YukinaKipling
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM

ladyxzeus
10-30-2010, 09:17 AM
For some reason designs exist. I believe that whatever the designers do is for a specific reason, and thus it's meaningful that such character has such design. Changing it around is not cosplaying that character, but someone else.

But you do whatever you want.

DarkKozame
10-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I love it~
Although I usually only do it if people will still be able to tell I'm so-and-so character. It'd just discourage me if people have to guess at who I am because I designed the outfit.
I'm actually procrastinating working on a couple of designs for Roxas and Ciel ATM. ><

HarpyLink
10-30-2010, 12:26 PM
As you see, I pretty much took stuff away from Link here. Namely cutting off the legs of his pants, his sleeves. And cutting his tunic in half and folding it up. So you can guess my answer to this question.

l3 Why not share the design idea?

LilMaibe
10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd say it depends.
If you, for example, make a themed group (For example...err... victorian/steampunk bleach or something) and the characters are still recognizable there's no problem with original designs.
It does get silly, if not plain ridiculous, IMHO, the moment one goes and makes a design that is 99.9% original and would be 100% it would just be given another name and not claimed to be -this and that character-

kithara
10-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I really love when people create steampunk versions of existing characters. They are usually very diligent and put together some amazing designs.

BerryBunny
10-30-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm going to a convention in a few weeks as "casual Demyx" from Kingdom Hearts and my fiance will be "casual Vexen". We're wearing matching shirts from here (http://sharkrobot.com/kingdom-arts) but we're still going to have our props. (sitar, shield) so hopefully people will still recognize us and not call us lazy because we worked VERY hard on our props!

iiChin-chan
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I enjoy original versions of characters that already exist, as long as the outfit is something you know for a fact would be something that character would wear. And you keep their personality and what not in mind.

LavenderCrimson
10-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I agree with what iichin-chan said. :)
I think variations can be fun as long as you keep the character in mind. Throwing on some gold chains and loose pants and calling something a "gangsta" variation, is one of the most lazy things I have witnessed. At least incorporate symbols or such that have to do with the character (for example, if you were to do a variation of Sasuke, perhaps include the uchiha family chest or a sharigan symbol in the costume). I like variations, not complete redesigns to the point that the character looks nothing like the original. I see a lot of this with gender bends, too. People throw on random dresses and call it a variation, even though you can hardly tell who they're supposed to be.

in short: I think variations can be vrey cool, but only if you put the time and consideration into it.

CapsuleCorp
10-30-2010, 07:58 PM
There's variation and there's variation. kiraitsukai said it best so far - be prepared to not be recognized, or cared about, be prepared to be overlooked, and even insulted apparently (though it's never kosher to insult someone to their face).

Original designs are one of the founding ideals of costuming, it's only in the last 30 years or so that media recreations have taken over from original/generic designs to such an extent. But there's a fine line between throwing together random casual clothes and your wig and going as "casual version of X" (we've all done it) and actually designing an elaborate but appropriate-to-the-character costume. And then constructing it.

I really don't care one way or the other. But I also have so many costumes on my docket that I don't have time to do alternate versions, or else I'd never get the canon versions done. That said, I also tend to see the argument about "doing whatever you want" trotted out more often to justify actual laziness or casual versions or not-appropriate-to-the-character omg-yaoi versions, than to justify amazing outfits that happen to be your design. Think about that one for a second.

I'm also with LilMaibe - if the only reason you're calling the outfit "version of X" and not "my completely original design" is because you're wearing a specific character wig, why not go the full nine yards? Why NOT do an amazing original design? It's totally cool, and probably will get more nods of approval than trying to pass yourself off as a version of a character. People tend to roll their eyes in disapproval of poorly-conceived or poorly-executed original designs. If I would have any preference, it's that: your design should be good, and pulled off well. I would rather you look nice than anything else, and if you didn't put a lot of thought into the design or the execution, it shows. And that's what fans get annoyed by.

HarpyLink
10-30-2010, 10:37 PM
There's variation and there's variation. kiraitsukai said it best so far - be prepared to not be recognized, or cared about, be prepared to be overlooked, and even insulted apparently (though it's never kosher to insult someone to their face).

Original designs are one of the founding ideals of costuming, it's only in the last 30 years or so that media recreations have taken over from original/generic designs to such an extent. But there's a fine line between throwing together random casual clothes and your wig and going as "casual version of X" (we've all done it) and actually designing an elaborate but appropriate-to-the-character costume. And then constructing it.

I really don't care one way or the other. But I also have so many costumes on my docket that I don't have time to do alternate versions, or else I'd never get the canon versions done. That said, I also tend to see the argument about "doing whatever you want" trotted out more often to justify actual laziness or casual versions or not-appropriate-to-the-character omg-yaoi versions, than to justify amazing outfits that happen to be your design. Think about that one for a second.

Love how no one mentions the lazy gender bends... :/

Nekomeishi
10-31-2010, 12:58 AM
On a mostly related note, I've seen some really amazing outfits in fanart and doujinshi from series I cosplay from, and I'm definitely planning to make some of them in the future. But when I'm working on those I'm still going to be looking at reference images - just not 'official' ones.

There's a lot of really amazing original-design cosplays out there, but also many more that fall flat and are just closet/casual than anything. Which I've done 'casual' for photoshoots and things, it's just a matter of thinking "Would the character actually wear this?" and styling yourself appropriately.
Most characters are not going to be running around in fishnet armwarmers/Tripp clothing/goth makeup/belts everywhere, but that's sort of become the "original design/casual" go-to. XD

atlantisan
10-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Love how no one mentions the lazy gender bends... :/

I'm so glad you brought that up. I think it's super fun designing genderbends (I'm designing some Male K-ON outfits right now for my friends), but it's one of those things where you stress out about if you incorporated enough of this element or that hairstyle while maintaining a masculine or feminine touch without going over-the-top and still being the character.

I've seen genderbend fanart where the outfit's been designed as pretty much the female outfit for the male, making the male just look like a really really manly girl.... Awkward! Not something I'd see a guy wear. (For example, the Listen! genderbend outfits for K-ON are awkward haha. Somehow I don't see many guys wearing off shoulder tunics <.<)

I think the trick to pulling off an original design of an existing character is being in a group, or being with someone who is your character in the canon version. Or having key props (ex. Female Shizuo from Durarara! having a vending machine). Otherwise, it's difficult for people to recognize you. And yes, those lazy genderbends are a little... ergh. Casual!FemNaruto in an orange bikini and sandals is just a bit on the lazy side. Just a little.

HarpyLink
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm so glad you brought that up. I think it's super fun designing genderbends (I'm designing some Male K-ON outfits right now for my friends), but it's one of those things where you stress out about if you incorporated enough of this element or that hairstyle while maintaining a masculine or feminine touch without going over-the-top and still being the character.

I've seen genderbend fanart where the outfit's been designed as pretty much the female outfit for the male, making the male just look like a really really manly girl.... Awkward! Not something I'd see a guy wear. (For example, the Listen! genderbend outfits for K-ON are awkward haha. Somehow I don't see many guys wearing off shoulder tunics <.<)

I think the trick to pulling off an original design of an existing character is being in a group, or being with someone who is your character in the canon version. Or having key props (ex. Female Shizuo from Durarara! having a vending machine). Otherwise, it's difficult for people to recognize you. And yes, those lazy genderbends are a little... ergh. Casual!FemNaruto in an orange bikini and sandals is just a bit on the lazy side. Just a little.

Yes indeed, a GB is something you need to put effort into. Though I honestly never see Female to Male (Let alone good ones.). Only the Male to Female fanboy fanservice shit. The stupid sexy no justu things are just the type of thing that makes me angry, its like "Just do a female character in a damn bikini then!" And the generic random slut in the male character's clothes without anything that makes them remotely resemble the original male for the excuse of either wanting to be fanboy bait or not wanting to bind (Can understand binding, cause it can hurt but still! :< Try it once.)

atlantisan
10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes indeed, a GB is something you need to put effort into. Though I honestly never see Female to Male (Let alone good ones.). Only the Male to Female fanboy fanservice shit. The stupid sexy no justu things are just the type of thing that makes me angry, its like "Just do a female character in a damn bikini then!" And the generic random slut in the male character's clothes without anything that makes them remotely resemble the original male for the excuse of either wanting to be fanboy bait or not wanting to bind (Can understand binding, cause it can hurt but still! :< Try it once.)

I saw quite a few male Hatsune Mikus (Vocaloid) which weren't too terrible. And of course, there's the male Faye (Cowboy Bebop), male Misty (Pokemon), male Sailor Moon, and male Yoko (TTGL). They're usually done in jest though, because oftentimes it's a guy who's hairy, with a protruding belly, or something of the sort. It's not something really taken that seriously. Of course, it's often hilarious -- just not serious.

I can agree with you about the SnJ Character X thing. >:| It feels like they're just looking to get attention without putting in effort.

Zeerogue
10-31-2010, 06:58 PM
I abosolutely love Ciel's style, and I made an original design that I worked really hard on for him. For the most part, I was recognizable, so, I think if you can still tell what the character is and if it's definately something the character would wear, then it's cool. ^.^

MDA
11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I do that all the time.

For example, for Roxas alone, I have several versions:
Halloween Town
Femme (2 versions, 1 is retired)
Street Style (2 versions, both retired?)
Skater Boy (retired)
Working on a secret version
Also working on a Christmas Elf version.

They end up being hits, least the ones I wear to cons xD

It's fun to think up original designs for characters. I do it especially for the characters that I love enough to do that (ie Roxas, Rider, Agito/Akito... etc)

Braithcakes
11-24-2010, 04:09 PM
within reason.

There's a male version of blair from soul eater in the manga....and I'm currently making that.

However, as Blaine(male blair as fans have named him) is very undetailed in the manga, I'm....adding a bit to him, sprucing up the hat to be more like hers, and adding fur onto the jacket appropriately. I'm also designing shoes for it because you never really get a look at his shoes.

I like it if it's very in character, I don't really support when people pop out some...seemingly random thing that they thought was pretty.

Clyde_2.0
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I totally have a dream cosplay that would fall under this category... I really want to see a well put together group of Kingdom Hearts characters(Org. 13, the main trio, just a lot of people) in what they would wear if they were in the Tron/Space Paranoids world... That would be Amazing!!

There are not many who have actually done Tron outfits, in comparison to the KH fanbase as a whole, it just makes me want to do it more! ^_^

alpha_helix
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I really love doing re-intrepretations of existing characters, and the ones I've done so far have gone over pretty well. Mostly I've done Victorian re-imagings because I like being able to be a history nerd and a scifi nerd at the same time!

The trick is incorperating some of the more iconic elements. For example, my Blind Mag dress has the blacks and red feathers, my 1890s hogwarts uniform has the same color scheme and a house tie, you get the idea.

I think anything well thought out and well made will be liked at a con. Even the gender benders, I've actiually seen a handful that were truly awesome

KaleiDoVi
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I see no problem with it. :D BUT don't get mad if people don't get it/like it.
I'm currently working on trying to make a custom Ciel Phantomhive outfit, using the phrase 'crowned clown' as inspiration. :D

BooDestroyer
12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Original versions of existing characters? GOD NO, BCUZ IT BREAKS TEH CANON OF TEH SERIES!!!!111 AND U RUINED THESE CHARACTERS BY DOING SO!!!!111 BCUZ FANS ALWAYS RUIN EVERYTHING!!111

(God, those kinds of fans are stupid) Haha, but seriously...

If you really do this kind of thing and derive it from a fanart, I suggest you print out said fanart and scotch-tape it to yourself.

I'm trying to see if I can organize a cosplay group for an original concept I came up with for Mario princesses Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina.

And cosplay shouldn't be done solely for recognition as your character. Freaking countless Narutos and Mikus at most cons notwithstanding.

As slim a chance as it may be, cosplays of original designs for existing characters may as well cause them to actually happen in another entry of their series! At least if they get lots of attention, and still retain the notable aspects of said characters. You never know...

TR Rose
12-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I always try to do a holiday-themed version of a character for YuleCon (a holiday/Christmas convention held in November/December in DFW). It's always so much fun to see how different cosplayers interpret their character in a Christmasy version. Some of them are super creative or put a clever little spin on a character.

I've done several of these holiday versions - Franziska von Karma, Maya Fey, Malon (Legend of Zelda) - taking the original designs and adding holiday accessories.

For example, I made Malon (a farm girl) a fleece scarf with the designs from her sleeves on it, and I also made her an fleece apron that has a design similar to Link's Hylian shield. It had a "homemade" look to it, very rural and like something grandma would give you.

Franziska, being a wealthy German, had accessories trimmed in white fur with snowflake details. She looked very elegant and regal with the fur.

Maya Fey (who's childlike and silly) got a Santa hat and a hoodie in the same color as her jacket, with beads like those in her hair on the hoodie strings. It was a more youthful look than a character like Franzy would have.

I used my Winter Belle cloak with my Princess Peach dress to give her a holiday style (I figure they're both royalty, it works).

It was really fun to think of accessory ideas to add to these characters that I love and already cosplay as. At a holiday kind of event, it's almost expected to see original spins on characters like that.

I have plans to do a version of Malon for the Renaissance Festival. Keeping the blouse and skirt, adding another skirt underneath, and wearing a brown bodice over the shirt. It's not canon, but I think it would be fun. And if nobody recognizes me, I don't really care. It's a way I can show my fandom if anyone happens to notice, but really just recycle some costume pieces that I absolutely love and have a fresh outfit for the festival. :)

I will also add that a very cool group I saw once did Steampunk Alice in Wonderland. Fantastically creative. I also saw a very cool Steampunk Black Mage (Final Fantasy) who made the black face/yellow eyes using yellow goggles to great effect. And even though it's not quite the same, I saw an adorable elderly couple at ACEN as Mario and Princess Peach. It was seriously one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

BooDestroyer
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
If you're going to try one for Malon, then I really hope you don't get called "Zelda" all the time. Like this Malon right here has been: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/224411/
(To all you misguided ones who cosplay solely for recognition, there's something that could be worse.)

But then, that's just irrational fanboyism on the loose. They never like or care about anything other than main characters of a series. I'm pretty sure all the real people (so to speak) would at least know that you're Malon regardless.

TR Rose
12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
As I said above - I'm not looking to be recognized with the original version I'm doing for the Renaissance Festival. I'm doing it to reuse costume pieces I've already made rather than making an entirely new outfit. If someone knows who I am, then yay. But this isn't for a convention and I'm not expecting to be photographed or anything.

As a side note, I'm not sure what your beef is about people liking to be recognized as the characters they cosplay. It's disappointing if nobody knows who you are, especially if you put a lot of work into the costume. :\

BooDestroyer
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Eh, it all comes down to whoever does it.

Sure, there are some cosplayers who do it mainly for recognition as their characters. Good for them. And there are others who are willing to try different takes on characters as they see fit (so long as they're fairly reasonable about it) without paying attention to the general public's responses. Good for them too.

To me, the effort into making the costume should be the higher priority than being recognized. But that's my take on it.

SeleneHino
12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking of doing an Original Lulu for Final Fantasy Dissidia

Apsara
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
I saw a white (albino? Negative?) version of Black Rock Shooter. Though there wasn't a regular all black Black Rock Shooter with her I knew instantly who she was. So did a lot of other people, apparently. It was like, "Damn, you're so cool! You look just like her, only in negative."

belligerent
12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
IMO, why not? I imagine anime characters don't wear the same thing every single day of their lives. As long as it's in character or a thoughtfully put-together/well-made/clever variant, I don't have an issue with it.

Apsara
12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Well, I hope to cosplay of Yoko from Junni Kokkii and at the same time I've always wanted to make an all-white costume. I'm planning on doing other, more recognizable versions of Yoko but I chose this illustration to base my all-white one on:
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt69/Mucilinda/208352.jpg

Unfortunately it's rather ambiguous. So I drew up my own design based on what I think is going on beneath all that fluttery-ness. I took most of the design elements from other outfits that she wore though only adding the "fur" and stole because that's what it looks like she's got on in the illustration.
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt69/Mucilinda/208352.jpg

I hope to make all-white costumes for most of my favorite characters.

~Alandra~
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I dont mind when people do a original take on a exsisting character. I myself am currentley making a human guise for Eden from Final Fantasy XIII. Much like Barthandelus. It helps widen your creativity.

Lady In Red
12-31-2010, 03:58 AM
I think that it's a pretty cool idea, and some of them can be really impressive.
I saw a punk Naruto once (Yes, Naruto. one of the most 'over done' charas out there- but hey. I, personally, think he's funny : 3) and it was really cool and well done.
I'm going to be doing a formal Integra Hellsing, in a red strapless dress.
: )
What bothers me is when people take a character and put them in totally unreasonable clothing, that is just not suited to the wearers body type.
I have absolutely no problem with 'heavy-set' cosplayers, but I do believe that people, even when cosplaying, should keep in mind what looks best on them. I think costume alterations can really improve a costume if it's to make it more flattering on the cosplayer.

Annwyn
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I think it's a great idea! I love interpreting characters in my own way, and I think it presents more interesting and creative challenges. In my opinion, if you are working with an existing character, the main thing to remember would be their likely role in whatever new era or situation in which you've placed them. It's good to include some recognizable elements so you can really embody that same character, just placed in a different setting.

krys-chan
01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I do it for the characters I cosplay.

Rin Tohsaka from Fate/Stay Night- Archer version. I originally saw a fanart of this but I didn't like how she didn't have the pigtails or the cross on her shirt so I added those in. I also kept the pleated skirt and used knee high buckle boots.
Pic 1 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2674290/) Pic 2 (You can see the boots better) (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2674289/)

I also made a bit more of a holiday Rin by changing a few pieces (adding stripped thigh highs, a scarf and gloves and different color hairbows)
Pic 1 (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2821587/) Pic 2 (http://krys-chan0.deviantart.com/gallery/26247185#/d376k6n)

Vampire Rin- Halloween (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/335758/)

I like to try to do different versions of characters just to try some different things :)

Draga03
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I enjoy original versions of existing characters!
I've done 5 original verisons of Lavi but I do them for cosplay meetups outside cons and I do those for weather and for themes.

There's Irish Casual Wear Lavi that's ideal for summer activities; Fighter Pilot Lavi (Originally done for Hetalia Day) for cool days and Hobo Lavi for winter nights (and for lols too)
I've also done Zombie Lavi for Zombie Crawl and Formal Lavi for New Year's Eve Ball.

It might be a while before I come up with more original versions for Lavi but I do know I wanna do more of them! XD;

Kesra
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I did one for Garnet once http://www.cosplay.com/photo/922848/

Aurora's Heart
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
So far I have only done one original interpretation of an existing character. I did Halloween Town Kairi last year and am currently drawing up plans for a Tron version in the near future.
I knew the issues with possibly being unrecognizeable, so, I made sure to include a few key peices such as a different version of the pendant she wears, a twist on her high top shoes, and a Holloween version of her keyblade. I aslo made a Zero for our photo shoot, 'cause well I knew we needed one. ;) It seemed to be a big hit and I even had a Marluxia do a double take, as I was walking the halls by myself, before she asked for a pic. :D

Shuko
02-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure if it counts or not, since the outfit itself comes from the series, but is never on this character... I'm making a Bulma costume (from DBZ) with battle armor. She isn't one of the fighters in that series, but I want to have her wearing what the guys wear anyway (long story short, I wrote a fanfic way back in the early 2000s where she was a fighter along with the rest of them, and I've always preferred that version of her to the original bossy, obnoxious one, lol). The wig is going to be the hardest part though, since I'm going to make a semi-original hairstyle to suit her new digs. Her old hairstyles were all so froofy and feminine, and I think that for a combat suit, she would want something a little more practical. :)

Still, though, the costume design isn't entirely my own, and neither is the character, so I don't know if it counts for this thread's purposes. :x

Sisshi
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Me and my friend do versions of our Cid and Shera cosplays. We've got our regular cosplays that are simply based off the reference. We made a Formal version of each of them and right now we're working on pyjama versions. The main thing that stays consistant is our wigs. ^^

I've done a 'casual' version of Belarus. I had a black skirt, black boots, black sweater and a white turtle neck. I tied a black suede string around my neck in a bow. Also put a big bow on my head, she was recognized so I suceeded.

Rosegoddess3
03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
I love to do original versions of existing characters!! I designed a "Dark Zelda" taking a variety of elements from earlier games and the cartoon: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2823227/
It was a lot of fun!

glitter bomb
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I love to do original versions of existing characters!! I designed a "Dark Zelda" taking a variety of elements from earlier games and the cartoon: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2823227/
It was a lot of fun!

that is AMAZING! I love what you did. :D

BooDestroyer
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Speaking of which:

http://nerdreactor.com/2010/10/04/cosplay-babe-jessica-nigri-as-samus-aran-in-her-zero-suit/

There you go!

See, it's a fun thing to do, alright.

Rosegoddess3
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
that is AMAZING! I love what you did. :D

Thank you :D

Lady Saru
03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea to do, and highly encourage people to do them if they get the urge. To repeat what others have said, as long as you keep the character in mind and don't expect everyone to know who you are, it's a fun venture.

Currently I'm working on two original designs for Grell Sutcliffe-one is inspired by Phantom of the Opera, the other is a self designed formal wear I'm calling the Marchesa version.