PDA

View Full Version : insane asylum patient

lyraparry11
10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
i want to make a steampunk insane asylum patient costume and was looking for ideas. im not new to the steampunk fashion, but the outfits i have made so far are more along the lines of the stereotypical airship captain/adventurer kind of thing.

so far i have a grey victorian-esque blouse and a knee length-ish grey lacey skirt that, when worn together, look kind of like a dress/nightgown. im open other things for clothes, and am looking for any and all suggestions for accessories/weapons.

any ideas you can give are appreciated, thanks!

Mangochutney
10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
An asylum patient would have no weapons, and few accessories other than those put on them by the asylum staff. Consider, given the state of psychiatric medicine at the time, how you can incorporate restraints into your outfit: typically wide, thick leather with heavy buckles and the classic straitjacket made of heavy canvas--which needn't be buckled, of course. A vial of medication around your neck on a string, possibly with a tag in terrible doctor handwriting reminding you when and how to take it, might be a nice touch.

Use a little makeup to give yourself a wan and haggard look and muss your hair; if possible, you might also want to weather your clothes to give them that faded "washed-three-million-times-with-industrial-grade-detergent" look.

lyraparry11
10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Hmm some very good ideas, I like the vial one especially. I had something along the lines of dog tags thought out for "identification" and I think an old key dangling from my neck, as well as a fake makeshift knife like prop might be good because my character could have "escaped" from the asylum. Sawed off looking ropes around my hands and feet as restraints?maybe some old muslin scraps as bandages for my legs/arms/head?

Ironhill
11-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Maybe a doll or something as a "security blanket" type item. You can hide your shiv in it and if you talk to it like a person everyone will know your insane. 8)

Of course the best accessories you can have are a couple of people from the asylum walking around the con with a sketch of you asking people if they saw you.

divine_fanaticy
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Just wanna say this sounds awesome.

Maybe you could hairspray your hair while wet, to make it look like you've been dunked in water as treatment? Or walk around making jerking motions to imply you've had shock therapy?

Vince Noir
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I deffinately want to see this when it's completed! Don't forget dirty teeth!

starrypawz
11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you got some good advise. Maybe add some fake scars/bruises to your arms or face, maybe even a burn mark or two? Maybe have some old leather straps around your arms to make it look like you've 'broken away' from stuff.

As for a weapon. Maybe you could have some broken chains or something from shackles/some other restraint.

Sounds like an awesome idea though!

takimoto
12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
wishes you were in texas!! me and 3 friends are doing insane asylum nurse and patients! we made it so that the patients were soo experimented on that instead of improving they got crazier and like..one of the patients has a permanent set of vials in a back pack that are injected at various times..thus creating different behavior changes and..well lets just say it gets too detailed..msg me!

lyraparry11
01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Maybe a doll or something as a "security blanket" type item. You can hide your shiv in it and if you talk to it like a person everyone will know your insane. 8)

Of course the best accessories you can have are a couple of people from the asylum walking around the con with a sketch of you asking people if they saw you.

^^best idea ever! I think one of my friends would love to be the doctor or whomever.

rubyspitfire
01-05-2011, 05:12 AM
see if you can come up with an OLD wedding corset (the kind worn strictly under the gown). they look similar to a straight jacket or other restraint/torture device but are surprisingly comfortable and can sometimes be found at goodwill or salvation army

something like this: http://i52.tinypic.com/2zo9dtt.jpg

Luxuria85
01-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Corset=torture device. Nawww. Sorry, that made me giggle.

I want to see failed lobotomy scars. :)

Buckshot Billie
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, if you wanted to go ultra-realistic, you could use a very plain gray wool full-length dress with a white apron over the top, as well as a white headscarf covering your hair, which would be tightly braided.

Historical accuracy is always kind of disappointing in this regard.