PDA

View Full Version : APO Question

kiratsukai
11-02-2010, 04:10 AM
I just had a transaction in the marketplace involving an APO address.

The Japan post refused to send it with the original code I was given and instead said it would begin with a 9.

I took it to two other post offices after the correction and they pretended not to understand me until I left, frustrated.

Finally I brought it back to the original office that turned me away across town and they called tech support again. This time my number was right, but the very light 280 yen package was apparently only sendable at yuu-pack to Tokyo rate. Now a yuu pack is a domestic flat rate package for like... 5 freaking POUNDS.

They charged me 800 yen.

With the exchange rate - 10 bucks!!!!

This on a $50+ shirt that I sold for about $15 with shipping included.

ARGH!

Now I have no choice but to look rude to a customer (it's already late) or eat the charge.

Is APO rate supposed to cost so much? If so, does the US military really consider APO a discount service??? Do military members have... regular addresses, too? Or do you have no choice but to use APO even if you live in the same country? O-o;;;

I'm just really horrified by what a mess this has been.

I will not send to APO addresses again.

Screw you, Japan Post!

(They ALWAYS insist that US postal codes MUST have 9 numbers, too. Even after I've explained to them multiple times that practically no one in the USA knows theirs....)

shortsheik
11-02-2010, 05:53 AM
I sent several things to my brother while he was deployed, using his APO address. I never had any additional charges. To my surprise, I had little trouble over-all, though it did take a bit of computer searching and a phone call for them to figure the APO thing out.

I've also never had a post office require all 9 numbers for the US zipcode.

DigiSlug
11-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Well for us with APO/FPO addresses it's really our only option for getting mail. Especially for lower ranks and people that are deployed. I have noticed that when I order stuff online the shipping price is always higher because it ends up going through USPS. I don't think it's meant to be a discount service, it's just meant to get the mail to places that USPS can't deliver. It also takes about an extra week or two depending on where it's going.
So I guess most of the time APO/FPO is one's only option. ( I haven't noticed many higher ranking people interested in anime but I'm kind of anti social.) I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with shipping to APO/FPO but for the people that live on installations, it really is their only option. I used to be on a carrier for 4 years and would prefer not to have someone I work with bring my mail from their house. Honestly I don't trust people that much.