PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to get some help sewing a full sized piplup.

MinnieMay9
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I am hoping to go as Dawn/Hikari to a con sometime. I know she always has her piplup. I can't find a plushie the right size, and I probably wouldn't want to know what one that size would cost. I have decided that since I don't have a deadline, I could sew one.

Does anyone know of any good patterns I could use to try and make one?

~-~-~-~
Also, just as a side question.
What kind of pleats do you think are on her skirt? I used to think regular ones, but now I'm wondering if they are box-pleats...

theKELPIES
11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
In my experience, it's really difficult (near impossible) to find full patterns/tutorials for Pokemon plush. You'll probably have to make your own, but it's not as daunting as it might seem.

I like to refer to this Serebii topic (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=183625) on making life-size Pokemon plush. Read through the whole thread. It's long (fourteen pages) but there are some really good tips in it.

This DeviantArt tutorial (http://lonepichu.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d25xv6r) is a great reference on making round headshapes with photos depicting the process. It's the same thing you'll be doing to make Piplup's head.

As far as fabric goes, you'll probably want to use felt or fleece. They tend to be pretty cheap, come in a wide array of colors, and won't fray easily. I use fleece, because I like the feel and I have less trouble machine-sewing fleece. Though you probably won't use it for Piplup, fake fur can be a useful fabric for creating textures like a Rapidash's mane or Vulpix's tail. I'm working on a Mareep plush with a main body made of curly fake fur and the face and feet made of fleece.

For stuffing, I like to use polyfill which can be found at almost any craft store. There are tons of options though, depending on what you'd prefer. Super cheap options: fabric scraps or torn up newspaper.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!