PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Cosplay 2011 - Need Suggestions plz!

krystlejo42
11-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Ok. So, i've decided that with the physique I have, even if I were to lose tons of weight, i'm built like a dwarf. So, I figured I should base my cosplay on a notable dwarf. After reading "World of Warcraft, The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm" by Christie Golden, Moira Thaurissan (formerly Moira Bronzebeard) really stuck out. I did some research, fell in love with her Cataclysm model, and knew that is what I wanted to cosplay.

Anywho... on to what I need help with. I have never been good at making tops, or modifying patterns. I am completely at a loss as to how to go about making the top of her costume. The skirt and belt will be no problem. (It's always much easier for me to make a dress in two pieces, a top and a skirt). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about even starting the top? I'm smashing my head into a wall.

Thanks for any help!

Oh! Almost forgot. Moira's model can be found here>>

http://cata.wowhead.com/npc=42129/moira-thaurissan#modelviewer

Fiendle
11-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok. So, i've decided that with the physique I have, even if I were to lose tons of weight, i'm built like a dwarf. So, I figured I should base my cosplay on a notable dwarf. After reading "World of Warcraft, The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm" by Christie Golden, Moira Thaurissan (formerly Moira Bronzebeard) really stuck out. I did some research, fell in love with her Cataclysm model, and knew that is what I wanted to cosplay.

Anywho... on to what I need help with. I have never been good at making tops, or modifying patterns. I am completely at a loss as to how to go about making the top of her costume. The skirt and belt will be no problem. (It's always much easier for me to make a dress in two pieces, a top and a skirt). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about even starting the top? I'm smashing my head into a wall.

What it looks like to me, is that the shirt fabric is divided into two major pieces, the first is the basic shirt, and the second, is a shawl type piece (in the same fabric but with a gray-blue trim) which wraps completely around the neck/shoulder section. If I were you, I would probably put some snaps or a cool broach to attach it where the front scoop in the neckline is, and just wrap it around to get it on and off. As far as the main piece of the shirt, it could either be an under-bust corset over a shirt to accentuate the curves, or just a basic shirt sewn to fit the colors/pattern.

As far as the gray on top, it looks like a harness that runs around the front part of waist, and between and around her chest. This could be made out of leather or pleather, depending on what you can afford, and then painted to match the "skirt armor". But if you can make it out of some sculpted material that looks more dimensional like real metal chains and polls, that could be good too. It would probably be best to somehow secure these onto the shirt, so that it doesn't swing around awkwardly. It might also be a good idea to have some sort of built in cups to the shirt, or even exterior cup armor if it's difficult getting the "metal" to stay in place. >_>

Anyway, that's what I would personally go with, and then change it if anything seems overly awkward or you think of a better idea. :)

Are you going to have actual chains on the skirt? I said this in one of your previous questions for her model, but spraypainting plastic chains would work great to get the metal effect, but not be heavy. You can buy them cheap by the yard at Home Depot/Lowes type stores.