PDA

View Full Version : Not Only for My Cosplay, but for Myself

Wordwok
11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi, my name's Wordwok. ^^ For years I've been a bit pudgier than most people. But, I am still less chubbier than most people in the overweight category. I look fat, my weight is heavy, and I really need some support (if any of you are willing to help this stubborn, lazy person, here. -__-) I'm 5'2" and weigh roughly 150 lbs. Yeah, not THAT bad, but unlike some other people I've found out I'm close to becoming diabetic (and I'm only 18. So, this was a bit difficult to hear.)
I know I need to exercise. I want to exercise. I love to dance secretly in my room and I love that I have to walk to work, but still none of its working.
I really need some support and advice on exercising and good eating plans.
And, as stated in my topic title, I really want this for my cosplay, but also for myself.
So, if anyone is there, I'd really appreciate your advice.

And of course, I'm going to start reading everyone else's forum topics for help, too. (^o^)/
So, for now:

Goal: Lose 25 lbs by AX'11 (July 1, 2011)!!! (*o*)
Reason: Health
Need help in:
-Support
-Exercise
-Food

Sorry, if I sound totally: annoying? And that I should just get help from a doctor(of course), but it would help knowing that there are people rooting for me, or whatever...you know? (^///^)
Please and thank you.

It'd also be awesome if I'd be totally awesome looking if I was to crossplay as my fav. male character! d(>o<)b

Crydda
11-08-2010, 12:02 AM
It's good to know this is for yourself, as well~

For starters, though:
-If you drink soda, try and get off of it.
-Try eating about 5 times a day but in less portions than usual
-Jumping rope and jumping jacks are good cardio along with running and such
-Veggies, fruit and protein are important.
-Increase water intake if at all possible
-Try not to skip any meals!
-Sleep is important as well.

and there's more that I can't think of...
Good luck, You can do it!~ =3

Wordwok
11-08-2010, 12:05 AM
@Crydda Thanks so much! (^o^)/
I'm taking everything into consideration! :D
I've stopped drinking soda for a while, but sadly nothing happened (-_-)
I'm going to try all that you've suggested of course! Thanks~!

Loplod
11-08-2010, 01:01 AM
8 hours sleep minimum.

Jogging once a day (jogging, not walking. or at least brisk walking)
Do little things like take the stairs, Walking that extra 2 minutes to go the long way. It all adds up in the long run

Food:
Lean animal protein sources, including but not limited to:
o Most turkey and chicken in general, especially if it is skinless. Turkey and chicken breasts especially. Contrary to dumb Internet rumors, going to the deli counter to have them slice up a roasted or smoked turkey breast for you is also fine. If you're worried, ask to see the nutrition label and look at the ingredients.
o Ground turkey, chicken, beef or pork.
o Virtually all forms of fish, even the fattier fishes are very good for you. Tuna, while also good, should be eaten sparingly if you're concerned about mercury consumption.
o More exotic-type meats, if you can find them: buffalo, ostrich, lamb, elk, venison, alligator, etc.
o Whole eggs. The unhealthiness of whole eggs is a myth; contrary to past assumptions, they have no impact on heart disease at all.(http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/281/15/1387). The main reason for this is that cholesterol in food does not impact the actual cholesterol level in your blood; almost all your cholesterol is made in your liver, based mainly on your saturated fat & trans fat consumption.
* Whole grains, including but not limited to:
o Whole wheat bread, bagels, rolls, etc.
o Whole wheat pasta
o Brown rice
o Oatmeal
o Whole grain breakfast cereals like Cheerios and Grape Nuts
* Virtually all fruits and vegetables, including beans and dry-roasted nuts.
* Healthy fats like olive oil (for sauces, dressings & low-temperature cooking) and canola oil (for high-temperature cooking), and Omega-3 rich fish oil.
* Low fat dairy products like skim milk, low fat/nonfat yogurt and reduced fat cheeses. Just be aware that some "reduced fat" cheeses are still relatively high in saturated fat.

And after all of that, Everything in moderation. Even cardio, Over exerting yourself is bad, Drink loads of water (half your body weight in ounces) and you'll be fine.

scortor
11-08-2010, 09:28 AM
^ so much of this

Also, no one is perfect. If you cheat a little, don't beat yourself up about it afterwards, because the truth is, unless you do something like eat an entire cake in one sitting, or your once in a while cheating becomes far more frequent than once in a while, it won't make that much of a difference. For example, I have such a sweet tooth, and no matter how many healthy snacks I had lying around, sometimes I'd just really want something like a cookie. Well, if I'd kept on track with my food that day, I'd allow myself to eat one or two small fatty delicious cookies. =D Not only does this satisfy my craving at that moment, but it helps me resist temptation later because it eliminates the chance of my snapping and eating all the pastries at the nearest bakery. That really helped me, but I suppose this maybe isn't a great idea if you don't have enough willpower to stop after one or two cookies...

So yeah. My point. Really, don't beat yourself up about it. I managed to lose about 80 pounds in 9-10 months by walking and eating healthier, and I still managed to stuff my face for thanksgiving, christmas, and new year's, along with going out drinking at least once a month. =D If you can manage your food properly before/after a holiday/celebration/outing, don't torture yourself by eating a piece of turkey and 2 peas for thanksgiving.

Wordwok
11-08-2010, 05:18 PM
How 'bout potatos? Are those okay or not? Beacause I love them~ But, I know they're basically starch, right?
So, would they be a must on trying to eat not to many?
please and thank you!

Also, @loplod and @scortor thanks so much for the input and advice. I'm going to try my best at this~!
And 80 lbs in 9-10 months!? Amazing! I hope I'll have awesome results as well! ^^

Eau de Decus
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
So yeah. My point. Really, don't beat yourself up about it. I managed to lose about 80 pounds in 9-10 months by walking and eating healthier... That's quite impressive. Congrats, Scortor, on the progress.

ShineyPenny
11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Loplod has best rundown of what to eat.

-Also try to reduce your carbohydrate intake. Don't follow the Atkins diet or anything, that does more harm than good in the long run. Unused carbs turn to fat very easily.\

-In addition to Loplods suggestions, drinking a protein shake before bedtime has magnificent results in losing weight. You don't need one of those idiotic "Mass protein XXXL" protein mixes you see at GNC. The grocery store should have the kind you need, stick to the one low in sugar.

nannyogg
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Another thing that might help, since nutrition is going to be especially important for you: a tool I use when I'm trying to eat healthier is fitday.com. It's free and if you put in what you eat (they have a huge database of foods, or you can add custom) then it lets you put in the amount, and it does all the math on everything from calories to fats/carbs/protein, to RDA. It really helps me, when I use it, LOL. But even when I'm not using it, it still made me more aware of what needs more balance. It also has a huge exercise section, but I haven't used that much.

Wordwok
11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone!
But, protein before bed? I'll try it out. x)

Loplod
11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
How 'bout potatos? Are those okay or not? Beacause I love them~ But, I know they're basically starch, right?

I like potatoes, they are good enough for you (though, everything in moderation) So I would say its fine for you to have mixed in with other sorts of meals.

and @scortor. Funny you should say that, cause I got on to browse the forum and decided I wanted an Ice block so I was eating one (With the least sugar I could find)

So yeah, Just goes to show, You don't have to give up completely, A little treat is good every once in a while but like I have said at least 50 times in this forum. Everything in moderation :bigtu:

daylight
11-09-2010, 12:59 AM
25 pounds you can do it!!!!

it helps a lot to cut out soda

over the summer I got addicted to brisk iced tea and would drink like a 1 liter bottle like twice a week and it made me gain like 10 pounds!
but as soon as I stooped drinking it I lost 6 pounds just like that.
also yeah soda, I only drink water now, and plain iced tea. the occasional soda (but only if it has real sugar in it)

Asmaria
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
If you have to eat potatoes, eat a baked sweet potato (and don't put toppings on it!). My mom told me that your body digests the starches in those better and I think they taste better than regular potatoes anyway. But don't over eat them, just as you wouldn't over eat any food.

I lost 15 pounds between January and May by counting my calories, carbs, and sugar. It was really tedious, but I learned a lot by reading labels, and when I was good I would let myself have something I was craving at the end of the week. I was keeping my calories around 1300-1400 a day (don't eat less than that or you will actually harm your body), and my sugar at 15 grams a day (diabetics watch their sugar too, so it's a good habit anyway to steer your body toward correcting itself), and I don't remember what amount of carbs but just try to limit them to the healthy kind like whole grains and fruit/vegetables.

I also took Yoga and started to gain muscle mass because I can't do high impact workouts due to my knees. I really noticed that it was the veggies, the muscle I was building, and the lack of sugar that made the biggest difference. Even if that's all you do, you should be healthier and stronger for it. When my metabolism got back on track I could even have one or two sweets during the week and not notice a difference as long as I still did my yoga and ate healthy otherwise. I've begun to slack off and I can tell that my body is paying for falling back into bad habits again, so I'm working to go back to that healthy lifestyle. You can do it too!

PS! Eat smaller meals, more often! It takes some getting used to but I'd buffer the gap between breafast and lunch with a handful of almonds (raw)! It's good for you, has very little else in it, and will keep you full until your next meal. I am sure there are other foods that work for this too, but that's what I do.

Rjr3412
11-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I am a big proponent of recommending to people that they should start a food journal. It can be an incredibly useful tool when starting out to get and keep a very good and clear picture of how much you are eating each day.

Before you try to make a ton of changes to your diet, figure out what you are doing right, and what you are doing wrong, currently. Once you have about a weeks worth of info, break it all down and find out how many calories you are averaging each day, then break it down to see the split between protein/carbs/fats.

Remember, fats don't make you fat, too many calories make you fat.

When you know what number of calories is making you gain weight, then you just reduce that number 200-300 and see what changes occur. If you add in exercise, that total number may not need much reduction at all, but you will still need to shift around the macronutrients a bit. Making sure you get enough protein in your diet is pivotal to recovery from working out. You also don't want to drop your fats too low, as they are necessary for proper hormone balance.

Just remember, a step at a time, and make changes you can stick with. If you try to change your entire life all at once, it will be incredibly hard to keep up your efforts, but with small mini-goals working up to a bigger goal, you will certainly be rewarded in the long run.

K1k2
11-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Keep yourself active is what I would have to say helps a lot.

I use to weight about 320(Sounds like Bull I know. but its true. I have pics to back it up.) and am now 200. Cardio is what is best for weight loss, I'd recommend at least 30 mins a day. and with cardio it has to be a steady rate. Keeping your heart rate up is best. as stupid as it is to say I did DDR. but you have to do that for at least an Hour a day is what I'd recommend if you don't like running.

eat 6 times a day, No fast foods, No soda's, Switch to skim Milk, more protein, Less carbs(still need them thought, just look in to complex carbs, and don't eat them later in the day.)limit sweets.

It sounds worse then it is, and you can splurge every now and again(Not starting out and as long as you understand that everything you take in you'll need to work off)

Another thing is lifting weights. This will seem counter productive at first. You will see no change in scales if not going in the wrong direction, but in the long run it helps. you don't need to hulk out but it will help. a pound of muscle eats 7 times the calories(Or so I been told) at rest then a pound of fat. so over time it works

Your goal should be easily done if not exceeded as long as you can be disciplined over the coming months. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or want someone to listen to and try to help.