PDA

View Full Version : strange doctor who cosplay moments

paper cosplay
11-09-2010, 06:27 AM
what are some of your stranges or funnies moments with doctor who based cosplay

1. a gold dalek showed up at a steampunk convention. then later the owner used its speakers to play music in a room offering samples of a local beer. stranges thing was hearing I Think We're Alone Now, Don't Fear the Reaper, and Bad to the Bone coming from a dalek.

2. while wearing my 2nd doctor outfit and carring a small tardis I had someone ask If I was dressed as the newest doctor.

Lucifer
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
At Gallifrey (both 2010 and 2009), someone made a replica of the RTD era Dalek. It would go riding around randomly, and respond accordingly. The two best moments:

- 2009: A little child was wearing the Supreme Dalek costume, and walked up to the Dalek. The Dalek then responded "Acknowledge presense of Supreme Dalek. Awaiting further orders." The child just stood there in awe. A Ten cosplayer then made a crack at the Dalek looking like a pepper pot, and the Dalek responded "Like I haven't heard that one before."

- 2010: The same Dalek roamed the hallways with a badge clipped to its eye-stalk, indicating it as "Convention Complaint Department." It'd often stop, then state "Does anyone have any complaints?", then look around, and state "I thought not." And keep going.

GraelynRose
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Haha! That Dalek sounds awesome!

paper cosplay
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
this dalek was fully acuate all the joints could be moved.
so at teslacon the kid driving it would suprise people he. would just sit still in the hall way people would come up take a look then he would move scaring the crap out of poepl. he would role towards them, bump them with the plunger, or turn the eye to look at them

Ani_BEE
11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it's the same dalek we are conversion about. I gets around, it made an apprence at FanExpo this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAF-RuUnBE

Yes I took a photo with it.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2767825/

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I have a plethora of them, and I could go on and on and on, but I won't bore you.

Okay, maybe I'll bore you just a little. Err.. let's see, what's a good one.

Anyone who has been to a central Texas con where Airship Isabella was in attendance probably is familiar with the Steam Hatter. For those who don't know, he's a ridiculously amazing and in character Steampunk version of the Mad Hatter from the Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland. Anyways, he's very good at acting crazy and very good at saying hilarious things (there is a Doctor Who related point, I swear).

We were doing a Doctor Who walk on at San Japan, me as Ten, and two of my friends as Jack Harkness and Rose Tyler. In the holding room after we had done our walk, I got separated from Jack and Rose.
The Hatter comes up to me, giggling like a lunatic, and says "Oh, are you looking for the Face of Boe? Wait, I wasn't supposed to tell you that! Hee hee!"
When I finally found the other two they told me they had each had separate occasion where the Hatter had dropped some little Doctor Who reference to them as well.
Then later, my Jack apparently dropped and lost his banana (I know! Good source of potassium, I told him!). Rose was looking for it, somewhat frantically because they were about to close the room in order to setup for a different event. The Hatter came up to her and said "Oh, hello again Rose! What are you looking for?" to which she replied rather hysterically "A BANANA!"

Later that night, when the cosplayer had changed out of his costume and was no longer in character, he found us and told us how cool he thought we were and how he had been wanting to say something, and how badly he wanted to break character, and how funny he thought it was that Rose was looking for a banana. We all couldn't stop laughing.

Well, that's all I've got for now, I have more, but my brain is having a train wreck at the moment.

paper cosplay
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
no same color different dalek this one was built out of washing machine. the guys wife told me a few years ago she asked her husban an engineer to look at her washing machine he then said this thing could be a dalek. he trashed it and start to weld it into a dalek and she got a new machine

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1770321/

Lucifer
11-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Another funny moment was at Dragon*con 2010, when all the Eleven's and Amy's took their fez and stacked them ALL ontop of one another...ontop of the First Doctor's head.

His expression was priceless.

paper cosplay
11-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I've had some fun at photo shoots the photos below are some of my funny shots form one shoot

me as gas mask zombie and everyone else form the shoot running
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2020293/

this one we strangled the 4th doctor with a tug of war
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2020296/

Fennius
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
At Time War 2010, one of the Daleks was wearing a Fez and a bowtie. :D

paper cosplay
11-11-2010, 06:47 PM
At Time War 2010, one of the Daleks was wearing a Fez and a bowtie. :D

thats simple but epic the "Doctor Dalek"

kenshin-chan64
11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
At Gallifrey (both 2010 and 2009), someone made a replica of the RTD era Dalek.

I remember that guy at '10 :D In a room we were having the gatherings at, he had the gall to exterminate me while I was wearing a mini skirt XD Though he was talking to some of the other people, I was the first he exterminated, so of course the whole room was looking at me and expecting me to die. But I couldnt let my fans down :P (I kid myself). Dont worry, I was wearing a blocker under the skirt so no one could get a 'sruprise', but my ungraceful fall to the ground was probably amusing to the others XD

Gotta say though, I had a funny moment at the same con: Some kids were hanging in the front hall near the end of the day, and started to hit the ground in a four beat pattern. A few other people joined in as did my friends and I on my lunch pail (we just finished dinner and were making our last rounds). We rounded the corner while pounding and scared the bageezes out of a poor girl dressed as the Master XD The pounding from all of us was rather loud and came out of nowhere...I hate to say it though, but her face was priceless XD

EDIT: Oops, I forgot! :D Same con, same Dalek, but with a group of dolled up girls around him. We were sharing the first floor with some sorority shindig, and some curious girls were walking around the halls and the Dalek's handler was able to persuade them to get in for a picture. Wish I had a copy of this pimp Dalek XD

paper cosplay
11-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I love seeing doctors actings off each other.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2552189/

vampricyoda
12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I was The 11th. I offered a 4th I saw a Jelly Baby. He got "upset" about stealing his gimmick and started ranting that I was going to take his scarf next.

tereshkova2001
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I have had three or four people come running up to my Tenth Doctor for hugs. Some of them asked first, some just ran straight at me with their arms out. :D

Fennius
12-22-2010, 06:21 AM
As a Time Lord I had a Dalek come up to me and ask me about the weather on Gallifrey.

Rather hot lately:)

And apparently Skaro doesn't have any weather any more.

Triguntri
04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
I was at Otakon 2009 and we had a full range of Doctors. I was dressed in my pink Romana 2 outfit from Destiny of the Daleks. We wanted was to reacted the regeneration scenes of all Doctors. Well, when it came to 6th Doctor dieing, we needed a Peri for the Doctor to choke. So, the 6th Doctor cosplayer saw that I was only one close to be Peri (i.e. pink and girly) and he choked me.

Doctor killed Romana!

GraelynRose
04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I was at Otakon 2009 and we had a full range of Doctors. I was dressed in my pink Romana 2 outfit from Destiny of the Daleks. We wanted was to reacted the regeneration scenes of all Doctors. Well, when it came to 6th Doctor dieing, we needed a Peri for the Doctor to choke. So, the 6th Doctor cosplayer saw that I was only one close to be Peri (i.e. pink and girly) and he choked me.

Doctor killed Romana!

Aw! I just went through my photos to see if I had a picture of that. Sadly, I do not. :(

...Speaking of those photos, I still need to upload them. <.<

paper cosplay
05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
went to free comic book day on may 1st local store had someone bring a Tradis to free comic book day and park it right outside the store. it brought in people who didn't know it was free comic book day. there were also ghost busters and some 501st members at the shop in costume.

ghost busters scaning tardis (what kills me is I deleted the next photo me coming out of the tardis as the 9th doctor as the ghost busters scan the tradis.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2924624/

tardis at the comic book shop ghost buster and imperial officer also in picture

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2926998/
article
http://www.maggiethompson.com/2011/05/even-tardis-came-to-free-comic-book-day.html

Ktar
05-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I have an awesome Doctor Who cosplay story!

So last year at Dragon*Con 2010 a friend of mine and I were dressed as Weeping Angels. We had just met up with another Weeping angel who we had met online so we could have a photoshoot together. The shoot was awesome and everyone was so surprised and awed to see three weeping angels in one place, tons of Doctors, Amys and Riversongs just found us and started posing with us.. but that is not the point of this story.

Our angel costumes are hot.. the masks and wig-hats prevent a lot of air from getting to our heads and faces so we have to constantly take the masks off for a breather. The three of us decided to take a break from the photoshoot and go chill in a lobby. When you are wearing awesome weeping angel costumes.. this is VERY difficult. EVERYONE still wants to take pictures of you and we ended up telling people they could take pictures of us with our masks off if they wanted them so bad and they would take a picture anyway!

So we are sitting there.. refusing to put our masks on for anyone for a while, when a guy comes up to us with a request. His friend had fallen asleep in a chair nearby and he wanted us to gather around him so when he tapped his friend on the shoulder we would scare him. We all agreed that request was a good reason to end our break so we gathered around our sleeping victim and his friend tapped him on the shoulder. The sleeping man woke with a start and FLEW BACKWARDS OVER HIS CHAIR!!! It was the most hilarious moment I have ever had at a con and I am so mad at myself for not handing someone my camera so that we would have this on film. Totally worth it! I did not expect such a huge reaction from him! :D

11thDrWho
05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Very Cool and I would have loved ot have seen that ^_^

Yazoo_the_Kazoo
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I have had three or four people come running up to my Tenth Doctor for hugs. Some of them asked first, some just ran straight at me with their arms out. :D

This happens to me all the time!
They just run up to you like they're Jack Harkness or something, arms all extended, shouting "DOCCCCCTOOOOOOORRRRR!"

Another funny story, at Ikkicon 2011, I was in a group with a Jack and Ianto, and my friend Robyn was dressed as Bill Nye the Science Guy.
People kept on assuming she was a Doctor Who character. She got asked if she was Eleven (bow tie I guess), if she was from the Classic Series...
We just sort of went with it. And then pictures like this were born:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2812218/

And as it got later, and we got derpier.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167430_171413386228614_100000798626864_290444_1353 480_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163134_171414489561837_100000798626864_290500_7276 847_n.jpg

Then Jack and Bill started trading bits of clothing:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163726_171414529561833_100000798626864_290502_1636 208_n.jpg

The final result? Many lolz.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5319822249_96c32fc282_b.jpg

Can not sew
06-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Hm... not specifically Doctor Who related, but the cosplay in question was Boom Town Rose, so...
As you may know, Rose wears two braids in Boom Town. I hadn't thought to get a decent wig, and was also wearing a winter costume in the middle of August. For this reason, I had taken the wig off, and was carrying it, swinging it by its braids. After a few minutes, the guy behind us in line says "Excuse me, but did you scalp a girl on the way here or something?" I guess because I was holding a ratty little wig that could be from somebody's head or something. So I turn around, plop the wig uncerimoniously on my head, and say "Billie had to die. She should never have come back from Doomsday." And then we all stood in silence.
Eventually everyone involved burst into laughter, though. It was pretty amazing.

paper cosplay
07-09-2011, 12:02 PM
a general thing I find funny is fans fo the new shows not knowing what the other doctors look like. as the second doctor I have had several encounter at cons with people dressed as 10 and 11 who have no idea what the 2nd or 3rd doctor look like

Captain_Rachel
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
My favorite moment came at Anime Expo in 2010. I was dressed as a femme!4 and my friend was dressed as femme!5. We were standing outside artist alley, trying to decide where we wanted to go and joking about how no one but Littlekuriboh knew who we were... and then this girl comes rushing over, skidds to a stop in front of us and asks me "ARE YOU THE DOCTOR? CAN I HUG YOU?" I flash my best "Tom Baker" smile and say "Well of course!" and she squeezes the life out of me, ranting about how awesome it is to see a Doctor Who cosplayer.

My second favorite moment is actually a series of moments at Anime Boston 2011. I was wandering around Artist Alley, dressed as the Fourth Doctor, trying to decide what I could afford to buy... and it seemed like every other artist would look at me, do a double take, as if I was the Doctor and squeal excitedly, before asking for my picture.

Cosplaying as the 4th Doctor at anime cons is fun, because you surprise people and everyone seems so excited to see you!

paper cosplay
09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2981179/
doing a contact shot

DazzlexMe
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Another funny moment was at Dragon*con 2010, when all the Eleven's and Amy's took their fez and stacked them ALL ontop of one another...ontop of the First Doctor's head.

His expression was priceless.

I would have died to see that. I saw over 100 fez's this year.

paper cosplay
09-13-2011, 06:51 PM
geekkon was great this year we had the winner of the where's the tardis contest. so we had a tardis. we allso had a full size dalek a large K-9 and a torrtis being chaced by daleks here is the torrtis
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2011/09/12/funny-pictures-videos-daleks-chase-tortoise/

NeikoRae
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
geekkon was great this year we had the winner of the where's the tardis contest. so we had a tardis. we allso had a full size dalek a large K-9 and a torrtis being chaced by daleks here is the torrtis
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2011/09/12/funny-pictures-videos-daleks-chase-tortoise/

I don't have anything to share but I have to say that video of the tortis being chased by the daleks made my day. ^_^

Purified Ace
05-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Actually, only one story comes to mind. In my made up, closet cosplay of the Doctor (26th, I believe, long story), I went to a small local sci-fi con. People were wanting me to be in the costume contest, but since I didn't actually make any of my costume, I couldn't. So, I sauntered into the contest room like I owned the place, put my elbows on the judges table, flashed my best charismatic smile, and tossed my psychic paper at them.
"Hello. I'm the guest judge."
They proceeded to pull up a chair and I help them judge the cosplay contest. Pretty cewl.

ten_again
06-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Not sure if I told you guys this before...

But when I was at the Elf fantasy fair, dressed up as the tenth Doctor, a woman walked up to me and said that i could have put a little more effort into my costume than just wearing a pair of 3D glasses.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6123/eff03.png

patriciarakel
07-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Actually, only one story comes to mind. In my made up, closet cosplay of the Doctor (26th, I believe, long story), I went to a small local sci-fi con. People were wanting me to be in the costume contest, but since I didn't actually make any of my costume, I couldn't. So, I sauntered into the contest room like I owned the place, put my elbows on the judges table, flashed my best charismatic smile, and tossed my psychic paper at them.
"Hello. I'm the guest judge."
They proceeded to pull up a chair and I help them judge the cosplay contest. Pretty cewl.

Can I just applaud you really quick? Because that's pretty fantastic. XD

Since I've only worn my Rose cosplay once to a con so far, I don't really have much. There weren't a lot of Whovians (who am I kidding, there weren't a lot of PEOPLE) at this convention, and so not many people seemed to understand who I was. I did get my picture taken by a girl selling Steampunk jewelry on the last day, and she texted my picture to her friend, who promptly replied with, "OH MY GOD IS THAT THE REAL ROSE TYLER?!?!?!?!" It sort of made my day. XD

vampricyoda
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I forgot this one when I first posted on this thread. No idea how.

I was at NYCC a few years back. It was Matt Smith's first year as The Doctor so the people who don't follow Doctor Who well didn't know what he looked like. I was doing a somewhat lazy 11. I was FAR from the best one there. Heck I was probably one of the worst. Plus this con had maybe one Amy.

Anyway. I'm wandering around and ended up with a Speaker badge for helping a friend bring her stuff into the artist ally before the con started. When I tried to return it to get my normal badge back she let me keep it since it got me into VIP areas and whatnot. (Apperently for the most part at NYCC the speaker badges are for the celebrities and other professionals. I assume it was just a found badge or something?)

Anyway so I'm wandering the halls with an NYCC speaker badge, dressed as 11. I get stopped for an interview. I'm thinking "Alright. Nothing new here"

So I do the interview and I notice a few odd questions here and there. "What do I think of the Fanbase? Have they been welcoming to me" Which I thought was odd for a cosplayer. But I've fielded my fair share of weird questions from reporters covering cons before. At the end of the interview the person goes. "Thank you for your time, Mr. Smith"

I was floored. Someone who knew enough about Doctor Who to know my costume, interviewed me. . .but somehow mistook me for Matt Smith. I figured it had to be the Speaker Badge, and the fact that he was still pretty new?

But it was just weird. I never cought the name of where the interview was for and never saw a video of it uploaded. If was filmed. I figured his boss saw it and was all "Uh. Yeah. That's not him"

seiryuux
07-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Kinda bland, but two moments on the Sunday of Fan Expo 2011:

1) I happened to run into a group of DW cosplayers (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3179007/) early on in the day. Then came a rush of people for an impromptu photoshoot.

2) When I first saw Dalek Auric, I was like "Cool, someone made a remote controlled life size replica of a Dalek." I never ever saw it/him before then so just look at my face at the bottom right when he first spoke in this video (http://meghar.tumblr.com/post/9596213486/yeah-we-got-exterminated-by-a-dalek-twice-no).

supergeekgirl
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I was Tux!Ten at Kawa Kon this past year and entered the date auction. The girl who won me was obviously really excited, but since I'm the chair, I had to run and do some stuff before the dinner. When it came time to go to the dinner, I walked around the whole con looking for her so I could escort her. I saw her talking to her friends in one of the hallways, so I threw all caution to the wind.

I ran up right beside her, looked her up and down, said, "Hello, I'm the Doctor," glanced around us hurriedly, then took her wrist and said, "Basically, run." I took off down the hall with her in tow, and she was giggling like crazy the whole time.

On Sunday, I passed by in a different outfit and heard her talking to another friend. I caught just a bit of the conversation, something about how "he took my hand, and we ran all the way to the dinner, and then he ate like David Tennant." :)

ChatNoir
11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
These are all great. XD This is such a fun fandom to be a part of!

I debuted my Rose Tyler cosplay at a small con near me in PA. It was the last day of the con so there weren't a whole lot of people left but there was a 4th Doctor, 10th Doctor, and 11th Doctor. The lady at the registration table mentioned them, so right away we were on the lookout.

We found Four first. He was almost 7 feet tall and absolutely sweet and adorable. He offered us "jelly babies" but for lack of actual jelly babies, had Swedish Fish.

A bit later we found 11 as we were sitting around eating. We asked for a picture, but he seemed in a hurry. But in true Doctor fashion he goes, "follow me!" and we all abandon our seats and food and follow him in zig zags through the hall until we ended up in Artist Alley, where we got our picture and then he disappeared. :)

All day we kept hearing people mention there was a 10th doctor walking around but we couldn't find him, and it was such a tiny venue too. We were having a bit of fun with the fact that I was Rose and was trying to get back to the doctor. FINALLY late in the afternoon we stumbled upon him and he yelled "ROSE!" and gave me the biggest hug ever. Turns out he'd heard about a Rose cosplayer walking around and had been searching for me too. XD

It was just really a great first time using that cosplay, I can't wait to do it again and see what shenanigans I can get into. :)

VickyAmis
12-03-2012, 03:17 AM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2981179/
doing a contact shot
Haha, looks great!I am so happy now, because of your picture.

Purified Ace
12-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Can I just applaud you really quick? Because that's pretty fantastic. XD

Since I've only worn my Rose cosplay once to a con so far, I don't really have much. There weren't a lot of Whovians (who am I kidding, there weren't a lot of PEOPLE) at this convention, and so not many people seemed to understand who I was. I did get my picture taken by a girl selling Steampunk jewelry on the last day, and she texted my picture to her friend, who promptly replied with, "OH MY GOD IS THAT THE REAL ROSE TYLER?!?!?!?!" It sort of made my day. XD

Yes, you may. I'm honored with your applause.

It's really fun when someone recognizes you at a con, innit?

KuruttaKanashii
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I went to the Steampunk World's Fair and attended the DW fan meetup there. I was in my non-related steampunk outfit but was carrying a plushie Eleven I had just made. Well, anyway, I struck up a conversation with a One cosplayer, and we were chatting about the series, when someone yells at us, "DOCTOR! QUIT HITTING ON STEAMPUNK SUSAN!" To which I was speechless, but the Doctor replied smoothly, "She's steampunk Dodo if anything!" and glared at the guy.