PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions with first costume!

Salvior
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey! I've never done any cosplay or anything similar to it, but I've seen all the great costumes at Blizzcon and how proud people were of their costumes and how much work they put into it, and I figured I'd like to try my hand at that. So I decided to start out small, simple, and easy.

A Starcraft II Terran Marauder.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/unit/marauder
http://www.scifind.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/terran-marauder-portrait.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100814171727/starcraft/images/thumb/2/23/Marauder_SC2-WoL_Story1.jpg/362px-Marauder_SC2-WoL_Story1.jpg

I know this isn't the easiest to tackle for a first project, but there's really nothing else that interests me as a potential costume. I won't be able to start until after the new year as well, but I want to start fleshing out my plan for it as soon as possible, and would really appreciate some advice and insight from more experienced people here.

The material I plan to use for the bulk of the costume is floor foam, cut into the armour, just to hold the basic shape. This will hold it all together. The interior will be lined with fabric or pleather, not sure which yet, and the exterior will be wonderflex, if I can get that to work properly. Again, I've never even used any of these materials, so I'm not sure if this is the best option.

For the boots I want to use an old pair of work boots I have around here somewhere.. And Build around that right up to the knee guard, where it will cut off to the thigh piece. The boots will all be one huge piece, or would it be better to dock it down into as small of pieces as possible? I assume there would be no problem with my current idea, but I don't know for sure.

Thigh pieces seem easy enough, same for the cod piece (a slight problem there with being unable to see the marauders, ahem, rear end, but I can improvise that.) The Arms and the shoulders as well seem simple enough. The helmet I want to just use like, a $3 beach ball from Walmart and just use the top Quarter-ish section to make a dome out of paper mache.

The backpack like thing I can use two plastic trash cans attached to a wooden board, or some other material, I'm not sure yet, and go from there.

The biggest issues (besides the backpack) I can see will be the Chest, and the Hand cannons. I would like to make it so Theres a door on the cannons that I can use to slip my hands out, in case I need to use them for something, or at the very least they'd be able to slip off from the arms.

I do not know how I will go about attaching all of this together to form one complete body. From the looks of it already it will guarantee needing at least one additional person helping, which isn't to much of an issue. I've heard many different ways for keeping a costume strapped on throughout this forum, from Velcro to hooks/cords and whatnot, I'm just not sure which would be best for this particular project.

I want it to look as best as it can be as well, which I know will be difficult due to my complete inexperience. But any help anyone can offer will be much appreciated, thank you.

essex1984
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Well... you seem to have a pretty good plan of attack, but for a first costume damn you picked a big one.

I think your tracking right for most of the ideas, but i would just scale up the normal Marine if you need to see how the "Marauder" would look on the back side.

Best of luck with the costume, would love to see it at next Blizzcon.

Idmaif
11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
looks awesome, just keep in mind the stuff that makes it attractive. the bigger the better :D

Aleze
11-12-2010, 01:57 AM
I think that Volpin's Big Daddy construction may be very helpful:
http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2009/09/big-daddy-bioshock.html

I especially like the way he constructed the boots. They made the whole thing look much more massive. I guess the arm extensions are really important for that too.

Unfamiliar materials are dangerous. Make sure you test whatever material you're using with whatever method you plan to use to hold things together well ahead of time. I thought that the floor mat that I used for my Selendis would be similar enough to foam that I've used in the past that the glue would hold. It didn't on one side of the foam, and half my velcro fell off. I don't use pleather anymore as a result of a similar costume disaster. Vinyl doesn't exactly take to most glues very well.

Salvior
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Essex: Yeah, I know it's a big first timer, but like I said nothing else really holds my interest, Lol. Yeah, I figure I'll either go off the Marine for the rear end, or look and see how the Warhammer 40k Space marines are done and improvise from there.

I'd love to see it next Blizzcon as well, but next one will (hopefully) be my first, and I think I'd like to just enjoy it for what it is first. Plus I don't think I'll be able to work on this rapidly, I don't have a large monthly budget to work with so If it's ready by the 2012 Blizzcon I'll be happy.

Idmaif: Thanks :D I'm not sure what you mean by keeping the stuff that makes it attractive in mind, but It'll definitely be big. I'm guessing Somewhere around the 7'5-8'0 range. (I'm already pretty tall myself at 6'3, haha).

Aleze: Wow, thank you so much for the Big Daddy link. I never even thought of some of the stuff he's doing in here (Computer fans to cool the costume? What shenanigans!) What did you end up using the the Selendis then? I've heard good things about The Pink Insulation (Which is looking better every day).

And the Pleather I chose simply because it's a big costume, and It'll probably be hot in there no matter what I do. I figured it'd be easier to clean it of ah, sweat and other such bad smells if I could just take a damp cloth and wipe it down without having to worry about mold in the fabric. Would there be any workable alternative to this?

Thank you three for your speedy and helpful replies. Every day I get more excited about this and wish I could start sooner. :D

Aleze
11-14-2010, 12:31 AM
What did you end up using the the Selendis then? I've heard good things about The Pink Insulation (Which is looking better every day).

And the Pleather I chose simply because it's a big costume, and It'll probably be hot in there no matter what I do. I figured it'd be easier to clean it of ah, sweat and other such bad smells if I could just take a damp cloth and wipe it down without having to worry about mold in the fabric. Would there be any workable alternative to this?
Oh, my Selendis was falling apart the day of. I make my costumes at the last minute, so either they work or they don't. :D So, uh, I used friends to tape me together . . .

I'm not gonna say "Don't use pleather," just beware that it doesn't take glue well, or sew well. It tends to not be very durable. And it's kinda expensive. But there is a lotta variety from one pleather to another, and I haven't tried them all, so maybe there's some that's right for you. Maybe someone else can give better advice. I only know enough to know that I never want to work with it again.

catfetus
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Good luck! I'm sure it will be completely awesome when you finish! :D

To me the hard part seems to be the internal construction and how everything will move. The fortunate thing about Big Daddy was that he was able to leave his arms and legs exposed for the costume.

You mentioned its your first project but you seem to have decent construction knowledge :P (at least a lot better than I was when I started my first one, my first thread was "Here is what I want to make but I have no clue what to do, please help")

essex1984
11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Its a slow day at work and I wanted to add a few things becouse I considered a Marine for a few weeks milling over how to create the armor.

1. Size is the issue with the armor. Not how big it is, but the dimesions of the person inside of it are not quite human. The shoulders joints being the biggest problem due to the overly large chest on the costume to maintain proper dimenssions.

2. Weight of the costume will build very fast and although it will look awsome if done correctly, you run the risk of it being impractical to wear for any length of time other then the costume contest and for so much effort this seems like a waste.

Not trying to be discouraging, just trying to open up a dialoge and disscuss issue that may arise. The Warhammer 40K space marine armor is a bit more realistic in human shape, but is not nearly as bulky as Star Craft armor is.

dbchan
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
1. Size is the issue with the armor. Not how big it is, but the dimesions of the person inside of it are not quite human. The shoulders joints being the biggest problem due to the overly large chest on the costume to maintain proper dimenssions.

if the dimensions of the human inside aren't right, I don't know if this will apply. (maybe since you are padding it with a foam, you can carve out chunks of the foam to accomodate you without sacrificing the outer look?)

But, as far as scaling goes. I like to trace an outline of my armor piece using adobe illustrator straight from official art and then print it to 1:1 scale. This eliminates one shoulder being bigger than the other or different pieces being out of proportion to eachother (IE helmet too small for body). It's like using a blue print.