View Full Version : What kind of dress is this?

Grey's Princess
11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi! I'm going to cosplay Sophie Hatter from Howl's Moving Castle for Acen 2011, and I have no idea what her type of dress is called so that I can look for a pattern. Ironically enough, when I searched "old lady dress" it was the fourth image result (labelled as a "school marm" dress, which yielded no results elsewhere) but I can't get more specific than that. Here's picture of it for those who don't know who I'm talking about:

Any help would be appreciated. Or if you know of somewhere I could get a good pattern for this, that would be great too. Thanks!

11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
looks like a prairie dress

11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Here's another version of prairie dress: http://www.folkwear.com/201.html
You might also check simplicity & mccall's (they have pattern books online on their websites), under the costume section. Look at all the costumes, though, because some of the historical ones don't show up if you click just the "historical" option.

11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
You will probably have to alter something like this

Lengthen the sleeves, cuff them, and add a collar.

This one has the right sleeves.

Grey's Princess
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks, everybody! I'll be going to the fabric store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good idea of a pattern to use.

12-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I was kinda of wondering what kind of dress that was as well, thanks.

06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Most typically, it's a Gunnisac dress. There should be some good patterns for them out there.