PDA

View Full Version : Chun Li Help?

angel_peach
10-10-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm working on a Chun Li costume currently, but her wrist spikey things are giving me trouble. I figured out how to make them fine, its the covering part thats being a problem.

What I had done was to cut out a strip of 1" thick foam. I then took a piece of vinyl and made a tube out of it. I turned the tube right side out and stuffed the foam in the middle. Up until this part, everything was fine. However, when I made the strip go into a circle, the fabric on the sides got all ripply. I tried making each side a seperate piece and sewing them together, that ended up sucking too. My last attempt was making another tube, but this time using a strechy swimwear knitted fabric. All I got was more ripples (see attached pic).

I can't think of any other ideas on how to cover it. Does anyone else have a good idea? Or an alternate way of constructing it? Am I being too much of a perfectionist?

darkninjayuffie
10-11-2003, 04:18 PM
To me they look really great! I can't think of any better way using your method.

ELFanatic
10-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I heed you a warning. wear something under that flap. I once got an accidental shot that was quite revealing. I'm sure she didn't want that and I'm sure you don't want that, so I warn you, wear something under that crotch flap.

liz-maru
10-11-2003, 05:10 PM
lol aside from that statement i think your wrist spikies bracelets are lookin awesome! ^_- actually i think once you get those spikes on there you wont even be able to notice the rippling look on there! ^_- cant wait to see it done! good luck!

angel_peach
10-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the encouragment, everyone. The perfectionist in me still says I should try it again, but at least its nice to get some other oppinions on the subject. ^.^

Thanks for the warning too, ELFanatic. I was kinda wondering about what I was going to do for that. I'm probably going to make some bikini bottoms or something to wear over my pantyhose. Because even though there isn't a huge difference between swimsuit bottoms and underwear, the idea of flashing fanboys my panties is not very appealing. =P

ELFanatic
10-12-2003, 05:01 PM
I insist that you do. I know that you can see the bikini strap on the hips and the costume doesn't look as good(which is why I think many don't do it) but I'm sure it's worth it to you to be covered up. If it matters to you then maybe you can tone the bikini strap to the color of your skin. I don't know.

Go to a punk shop. They may have braclets similar to Chun-li's. I know most you see are the really small spikes and tend to have two rows but, hey, maybe you'll find something.

angel_peach
10-12-2003, 06:56 PM
After thinking about it for a minute, I think I may have come across something for the bikini bottoms. If the straps are strechy and I make them sit high on my hips, I could probably make something similar to like you see in fancy dresses...I can't remember what they're called, but they pull your bra straps off to the sides so that they stay hidden. Hrm...*ponders*

ELFanatic
10-13-2003, 01:14 AM
I don't know much about it but I'm glad you have an idea that may work. You going to try my punk shop idea or keep it to all hand made stuff?

Definately post a pic of you in your costume when you get it done. I wanna see how this thing turns out. You know Chun-li's a badass character, right?

angel_peach
10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Getting ready made bracletes with spikes was one of the first things I considered, actually. While it is fairly effective and quick the effect is...just not quite right. There's just something cute about having the thicker foamy bracelets. I'll post pictures when I get the chance though.
And of course I know Chun Li's badass. Doesn't everybody? ^.~

ELFanatic
10-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Really. I would have thought the punker ones would have looked better but I have no fashion sense at all. Your using foam spikes right? you didn't post a pic of the spikes did you? I wanna see them, that's the thing I'm kinda scared of.

I hope everyone knows she is, because she kicks the llamas ass.

angel_peach
10-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Well, the punky bracelets would look better, as in more professional/not crazy ripply, but not too good on me. I'm probably just not hardcore enough ^.~
I'm not too sure about the spikes still. I was thinking vinyl stuffed with foam, but my boyfriend wants me to do something with metal. Metal, of course, would be better/more realistic, but then I have to worry about how to attach them =P I've got awhile to figure it out though, so its ok.

ELFanatic
10-15-2003, 10:44 AM
You know, your going to get ripples because it's a soft medium and it has to turn itself inward. I think you need to use a much stronger material to stop the ripples, that or have less material on the inside then the out. I'm sure that's all obvious but uhh... uh... I'll shut up.

angel_peach
10-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I realized *why* I was getting the ripples. I was just hoping that maybe someone would have better ideas than I did. =P
Meh, I'll probably try and recover them.

ELFanatic
10-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, as I said, I should have shut up. JK. Well, the punker braclets would change that. Again, stronger(thicker) material may avoid that. You said you already tried a smaller circle on the inside so I think you just need thicker material or make due with the ripples.

I'm not a crafter so I can't be of real help. I hope I did help somewhat though. I don't know.

angel_peach
10-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Nah, I know thicker material won't work, unfortunatly. The stuff I used on my very first try was some fairly thick vinyl, and I got ripples too (even more prominent). It ripples because you have an excess amount of fabric going into too small of an area, thus producing the ripples.

But like I said, I've got some time to think about it, thank goodness. Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions though.^-^

ELFanatic
10-17-2003, 12:06 AM
I was thinking it was thick enough it couldn't ripple. Like leather. but I don't know. Best luck to you, again, post a pic of you in costume when your finished as well as a close up shot of your bracelets as soon as you figure them out.