PDA

View Full Version : early 1900's

Volnixshin
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone dressed in the fashions of the 20's, with flapper dresses, or noir style, dark clothing.. Ah how do I explain this... Okay, if anyone has seen Boardwalk empire, that style of clothing. Pinstripe suits, suspenders, fedora's. Nice polished shoes.
I wear it pretty much all the time unless I am at work. Am I the only one? I don't know what to call it, so I usually end up referring to it as Noir Fashion.

Volnixshin
12-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Guess not... huh... Oh well then

LilMaibe
12-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, I haven't seen anything dressed all "roaring 20's " outside cons, but i have seen some Neat hats

scareXalchemist
12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
so like the mobster look? yeah i dont know anybody under 60 that dresses like that

Mehdia
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
I've got a friend that is big into steampunk, but his everyday dress is a lot what yours sounds like. He wears very nice, crisp clothing with suspenders, a hat, and even driving gloves when he goes out. He looks like he could easily have stepped out of the late 1800s to early 1900s. I love fashion from those eras, but I don't get a chance to wear them much just because of where I work and the fact that I don't get to go out much besides work^^

kuko-chan
04-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I certainly am a fan of 20s flapper girl look. I try to work certain elements into my wardrobe, like fringe hemlines, loose silhouette, accessories and jewelry.

ballet shoes
04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
I dress in a vintage style on a regular basis although it's mostly 1940s as 1920s clothes don't suit me whatsoever. My main hobbey outside geek interests is swing dancing (lindy hop, although I dance authentic solo jazz, blues and charleston too), so we have themed nights a heck of a lot and a popular theme is a speakeasy so a heck of a lot of 20's fashion is on show.

Boreotheria
05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
It'll be coming back in because of the new movie of The Great Gatsby.

But read this article (http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-great-gatsby-still-gets-flappers-wrong/) about who flappers really were and how F. Scott Fitzgerald got them totally wrong. It makes me want to dress up in the style just as a tribute to these women.

Haji1
05-26-2013, 11:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone dressed in the fashions of the 20's, with flapper dresses, or noir style, dark clothing.. Ah how do I explain this... Okay, if anyone has seen Boardwalk empire, that style of clothing. Pinstripe suits, suspenders, fedora's. Nice polished shoes.
I wear it pretty much all the time unless I am at work. Am I the only one? I don't know what to call it, so I usually end up referring to it as Noir Fashion. 1984. For Me.

PoshCrusty
06-02-2014, 04:25 PM
One time on Etsy I came across a shirtwaist pattern from the 1910s and thought, why the hell not, it fits my measurements. It ended up being a better fit than any contemporary pattern I've tried.

Lately I've also been playing around with a dress pattern from 1918. My approach is this: anything designed between 1914 and 1989 (the "short 20th century") is acceptable street wear/"not a costume" since it's not so old that it's completely a costume, but it's not so recent that it just looks unintentionally out of date.

One time someone asked me, "so if you're always wearing mid-20th century clothes now, are you going to be wearing this decade's clothes when you're old?" and my response was, "How dare you suggest such a thing! No, I will never ever change sizes and I'll always wear stuff from the short 20th century. The older I get, the more deliciously absurd it will be!"

I also like to mix multiple decades in one outfit. Punk/New Wave hair with a flapper dress. 1910s shirtwaist blouse with a 1970s maxi skirt. Mod dress with 1980s oversized jewelry. You get the idea.

EvilLittleKiss
09-06-2014, 11:59 PM
so like the mobster look? yeah i dont know anybody under 60 that dresses like that

You have obviously never met my boyfriend.

One time on Etsy I came across a shirtwaist pattern from the 1910s and thought, why the hell not, it fits my measurements. It ended up being a better fit than any contemporary pattern I've tried.

Lately I've also been playing around with a dress pattern from 1918. My approach is this: anything designed between 1914 and 1989 (the "short 20th century") is acceptable street wear/"not a costume" since it's not so old that it's completely a costume, but it's not so recent that it just looks unintentionally out of date.

One time someone asked me, "so if you're always wearing mid-20th century clothes now, are you going to be wearing this decade's clothes when you're old?" and my response was, "How dare you suggest such a thing! No, I will never ever change sizes and I'll always wear stuff from the short 20th century. The older I get, the more deliciously absurd it will be!"

I also like to mix multiple decades in one outfit. Punk/New Wave hair with a flapper dress. 1910s shirtwaist blouse with a 1970s maxi skirt. Mod dress with 1980s oversized jewelry. You get the idea.

I'm so doing that when I get old.

"My grandma is so weird. She wears 1910's dresses with 1960's pillbox hats. She also loves dressing like a flapper and like Cher from Clueless. Come on, it's 2074 already!" - My future grandkids on me