PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Gears

elvis8tweeter
11-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't want to buy them, cause they'd probably be metal or something fancy like that... Would making different sized (mostly palm sized) gears out of cardboard work (I'd spray paint them rustic colors)? Where should I wear them? On my arm/sleeves?
Any information you can give me about making simple steampunk objects would be helpful to me and other Steampunkers. ^.^ Thanks.

Buster
11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Use metal. Trust me, cardboard would be pretty obviously NOT metal, but you can buy stuff called flashing from hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, which is a thin but rigid sheet metal that you can cut with scissors or tin snips. As far as I know, it comes in aluminum and copper. I believe the aluminum is about $15 for a 5-yard roll (if I'm remembering correctly) the copper is substantially more expensive. You can antique them by applying wood stain then spraying on a sealant, or (for the copper) you can smear it with peanut oil and burn it off with a blowtorch or a lighter for a really neat aged effect.

For smaller gears (up to about 3.5 inches), Michaels now sells small pieces of thick sheet metal in the jewelry section in silver, copper, and brass, which you can cut with a jeweler's saw (available online, for anywhere from $8 to $30)

Maybe try one of these methods.

mikazuki
11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
A few years ago here on Cosplay someone linked a YouTube video on making gears. I thought I bookmarked the YT page but apparently I didn't. If you go to the Props section here and look for it (between 2005 & 2009) you may find it. What I recall was that the props were casted and the finished product looked like a real metal gear.

Purified Ace
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
My advice would be to use metal.

As for where to put them, just remember; putting cogs and gears on something in random places doesn't necessarily make it steampunk.
A couple gears and cogs thrown in is all good and fun for style purposes, but don't get too carried away. The main idea about gears and cogs in Steampunk is to make them into something that could actually work and have a function (or at elast look like it).

If you're going to use them strictly in design purposes, I'd suggest something like a medallion, or a badge, or something to that nature. As if it would be a ranking badge on a military coat. I think a big cog belt buckle would be a great idea.

Just don't go overboard with gears and cogs, as I've seen done. It begins to look tacky. Make your gears at least look like they do something. It'll make you use your imagination more, and you'll get to explain things to people and what they do, and look oh so smart. Plus, it will not only look awesome, but it will impress people.

Gypsyangelf4i
11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
You could make a pattern out of cardboard, Cut open a soda can and trace the pattern onto the exposed aluminum inside. Cut a circle wider than your pattern out of the aluminum. Also cut the same pattern out of a piece of foam. Glue the aluminum onto the foam and trim the pattern so you can fold the edges over the foam a bit to kinda hide the foam. Not sure if this explains it very well, but it would work. Then you could just use some cheap model paint to paint it.

elvis8tweeter
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
My advice would be to use metal.

As for where to put them, just remember; putting cogs and gears on something in random places doesn't necessarily make it steampunk.
A couple gears and cogs thrown in is all good and fun for style purposes, but don't get too carried away. The main idea about gears and cogs in Steampunk is to make them into something that could actually work and have a function (or at elast look like it).

If you're going to use them strictly in design purposes, I'd suggest something like a medallion, or a badge, or something to that nature. As if it would be a ranking badge on a military coat. I think a big cog belt buckle would be a great idea.

Just don't go overboard with gears and cogs, as I've seen done. It begins to look tacky. Make your gears at least look like they do something. It'll make you use your imagination more, and you'll get to explain things to people and what they do, and look oh so smart. Plus, it will not only look awesome, but it will impress people.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind! My dad is very handy and likes to work with me on projects like these... Great feedback, thank you.

Purified Ace
11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Quite welcome, mate.