PDA

View Full Version : Picture question

Infini
10-10-2003, 11:34 PM
I know this is very sad, asking about pictures of AN 2003 when everyone's already planning for 2004, but I just registered today.

At Anime North this year I was the ugly Yuna. I was wondering if anyone has seen any other pictures of me than this one:
http://www.stillvisions.com/events/AN2003/gallery/saturday/images/132-3285_CRW.jpg

I look horrible in it, and was hoping there might be another picture out there, and I have checked almost all the links from past AN'03 posts with no success.

Thanks, if anyone reads this.

-Infini

Sarcasm-hime
10-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Just from that one pic, my #1 suggestion for you for photos in the future: Stand up straight! This is something that I have to remind myself of...because I tend to slouch too. But it looks so much better in pics and you look more confident. ^_^

Infini
10-11-2003, 09:08 AM
That's a good suggestion. I don't have my picture taken often, so I have no idea on how to stand or look. It gets really frustrating not to have any decent costume pics. I'm clueless about hair and makeup as well, so I always look like a freak in all my pictures. Ha ha.

-Infini

archangeli
10-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Infini, I borrowed my boyfriend's sister's digicam (lol... oh dear) and the pics are still at her place... I most likely won't get most of my AN03 pics back until Christmastime....

I might have a photo of you - I'm not sure.

All I really know is that I have a gorgeous glamour shot of Kirby Morrow!!

heki-chan
10-11-2003, 04:08 PM
GAH! U made a gorgeous yuna! Very accurate too ^___^ i wish i had seen u @ the con ;_; i was so busy with the videogaming room and coulndt walk around much to just take in all the wonderful costumes--but really^_^ ur WAY too hard on urself :) u look great

but i SOOO know what u mean about not knowing how to stand/pose and whtnot ^_^;;; i am the EXACT same--hence i only have one pose per costume bcuz im lame -_-;

it takes some getting used to (the photos/posing), but even something as simple as a hand-outwards "pose" works^_^

Infini
10-11-2003, 11:35 PM
I had a lot of problems with the costume that I worked out, and I'd like to redo some of it with better fabrics and stuff too. Maybe if I was in a group I wouldn't feel too weird, and maybe get some suggestions on poses, but when I'm running around loose by myself and someone wants a picture, I haven't the slightest idea how to stand or anything.

heki-chan, I saw you at anime north and took a pic of your yuna costume! You're very good at posing, so you suit the costume perfectly. I hope I can eventually look as comfortable in my costume. :)

I guess I also should try to get some makeup pointers, since I am pale and weird-looking. I've never worn makeup (other than LARP stuff) in my life, nor do I own anything other than black nailpolish, so that part is frustrating too.

I think I'll buy a wig next time I'm in Toronto. Using my normal hair makes my forehead look bulbous. Ew.

ha ha ha. I'm typing too much.

-Infini

stillvisions
10-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Sorry you didn't like the picture; if you run into me at another con throw something non-lethal at me and remind me to make sure I get a pic you like better. ;)

Sarcasm-hime
10-12-2003, 03:59 PM
You don't need a lot of makeup--just invest in some good foundation/concealer to even out your skin tone, and wear some eyeliner, mascara and/or eyeshadow to bring out your eyes. A light-colour lipstick or lip gloss is good too. You just want to make your skin look smooth and even, and accent your eyes and lips a bit. And bring some translucent powder to the con so that you can keep your face from getting shiny. ^_^

Infini
10-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the tips! Now I know what to get at the store tomorrow. (I never buy stuff like that, so I wasn't sure what I'd need. I know, I live a sad, sheltered life.)

stillvisions: The bad pic wasn't your fault at all. I was stressed out at the con and had no idea what to do when my picture was taken. Cameras scare me.

lainey
10-13-2003, 11:16 AM
you know what heki...i just realized the "hand outwards pose" when you mentioned it

it's the "winnie pose" LOL

I actually do not wear a lot of makeup either...! I wear none or very little and didn't wear too too much at the con.

But when I wear wedding Yuna, it'll probably take me a VERY long time to get out of my house. i'm hoping to get my sister's help for the con in the makeup aspect LoL

stillvisions
10-13-2003, 02:43 PM
stillvisions: The bad pic wasn't your fault at all. I was stressed out at the con and had no idea what to do when my picture was taken. Cameras scare me.

Camera scare me too. I overcome this by always being on the other side of the lens myself, but armed with this knowledge, you should be fine for next time. If you've got access to a digicam, try practicing the look a few times prior to test which expression/pose/makeup works best on camera. Just a feel thing to get used to...

Some people photograph really well; it's not an appearance thing, just a knack/skill for looking good on camera. Practice and experience will help you feel better about how you look on camera. I just gave up and became a photographer... ;)

Mekou
10-13-2003, 06:17 PM
I feel your pain! *hugs* I have no clue on how to pose for pictures and I usually end up hating all of them X_X

I never wear make-up so...maybe that's something I should concentrate on for next time -.-;; *hates make-up*

Your costume is beautiful and that's all that should matter. ^_^ *pat pat*

xiola
10-13-2003, 10:45 PM
makeup DOES work - somehow i had MUCH better luck with my photos this year than i have in previous years. i didn't expect it to make that much of a difference at first, but i attribute this to mainly two things: wigs and makeup. when i put on makeup i often wonder how the hell it will make much difference, because i never put alot on. but it does.

a) light wigs look better on me than dark wigs. most people look good in either cool or warm colours, so it's good to figure out which you look best in. for some reason i get a much higher percentage of good pics in a light blonde wig than i do in with my own natural hair, as evidenced by Nokoru and Merry. O_o

b) i wore makeup and light foundation this year. normally, makeup is something i don't bother with, and i NEVER wear foundation because i hate putting stuff all over my face. but while my skin tends to look perfectly fine in real life, flashes make me look harsh and i have stupid eye-bags and stuff, so before the cons this year i specifically went and bought foundation for photo purposes. i HIGHLY suggest just going to like, shoppers drug mart (coz there's no need to go to like, MAC or something if you don't want to pay alot -_-) and asking the lady at the counter for advice, because they usually like helping and you *really* want to be able to test out a few and get the different types explained if you dont' know much about it, and you NEED to get the right colour - i am REALLY pale and always need to buy the lightest colour. if i wore a darker colour i'd look ridiculous.

but even though when i put it on i don't look that different, i'm always surprised that i get fewer crappy photos. it really is worth it. o.o

nuriko001
10-13-2003, 11:15 PM
just wanted to comment one the beautfufl pleating of you skrit:) you get me thumbs up:)
hehe.. itt looks like you weren't prepared:) it's cool

Infini
10-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Today I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and asked the counter lady for advice. Got some foundation and eyeliner and powder...etc. Next I have to work on the hair, so I'll be checking out Mavis or whatever the name of that wig place was. Almost 3am and I just finished making a new bow for the back of my Yuna costume and (somewhat) fixing the things that hang from the belt.
Unfortunately I haven't even got a nice camera, so practice for pictures is no good. I'd feel silly going to the park in full costume by myself and trying to set up the camera and then run to pose anyway. I don't have anyone around my house who is the slightest bit competent at taking pictures. :(

Infini
10-14-2003, 01:40 AM
Oh, I can't take credit for skirt pleating. My mom saw the costume design and dragged me to Value Village to see if they had a skirt the right color and length, which they did. I would like to remake it in a more exact color and length, but I'm too lazy to paint all those patterns on it again.

heki-chan
10-14-2003, 07:38 PM
u know, i think u have the perfect colour (hair) for Yuna, u dunt really need a wig, ne?

my head looks fat in wigs -_- and my hair is uber long now, so byebye yuna :(

ur lucky u have the right colour :) Use it to ur advantage :D
all u may need is just a BIT more fringey-bangs and *BOOM* ur done :D
o and X-yuna's hair the ends of it usually goes in or is straight; i dunno why, but when it goes inwards it matches the overall costume better hmm

but ya! ur hair colour is great ^___^

Infini
10-15-2003, 12:02 AM
In the picture you can't really see that my hair is of the most horrible type. The color is good (for about another 2 weeks or so, then it's becoming silver! Yay!) but I have thick, coarse, frizzy, puffy hair. At the beginning of the con I had enough fringey bangs and it DID go straight.... but after 2 seconds it went back to being stupid-hair. :)
I've been trying to grow my hair out as well, and at anime north I had it cut for Yuna, which made me a little sad. Now it's back to growing it again....
I love long hair!

-Infini

xiola
10-15-2003, 01:22 AM
yeah... i have the opposite problem really - i have really THIN hair. but it still looks messy - when i was little people would complain i had messy hair all the time because it does that thing where you'll brush it out completely and 10 minutes later it will look completely messy again -_-;; useless.