PDA

View Full Version : Gust Jar

Colypso
11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone, I am in a pickle.

For my Link outfit based off of the Minish Cap game, I wanted to make a prop other than his normal sword and shield. Something that will hopefully help me stand out from all the other Links at the con. So, I thought about making the Gust Jar he gets at the first temple.

The only problem is, I never really made a prop like this before. DX I don't even know what material I should use or how. /useless

My mom suggested getting a vase in the size and shape, and just add the handles and wings and repaint it. I quickly shot down the idea because vases are made of breakable stuff and I dont want to hold it all day at a con worrying if I am going to drop it or not. lol Do they make plastic vases? I dont know D:

So, any help or ideas would be most appreciated and welcomed. :3

Oh, and here is a pictuer of the jar:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090512212708/zelda/images/1/1c/Gust_Jar.png

o01101011
11-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Vases come in plastic, glass, metal, crystal, clay, etc. I'm sure you could find a plastic one in a basic shape and add on to it with apoxie sculpt. Even adding a thicker top and bottom ring wouldn't be to difficult, simply use a circular ring like an empty tape roll (varying sizes) and if you want to smooth it out or toughen it up just sculpt over it with apoxie or use paper mache.

Actually, if you can only find a glass vase, jug, or pitcher at a thrift store in the appropriate shape, you could likely paper mache over the whole thing to toughen it up and add the parts you need. Then sand and paint. This way even if the interior does shatter, it has an outter shell holding the mess in.

Colypso
11-18-2010, 05:14 PM
That is true, about the paper macheing the glass vase. If I can't find any plastic ones I'll try that.

I'm not a vase or decorative person, so I wasn't really sure what vases are made out of, other than the glass ones my mom has. I'm that lame D;

Thanks, I'll go searching at the nearest good will this weekend for some vases and then for some clay. :3

verdatum
11-19-2010, 04:41 PM
A real vase of that style would be made from porcelain, which you can't really do without a kiln and somewhere between weeks and months of practice.

The only major concern in building this thing is that you're likely going to be carrying the vase around by the handles, so they must actually have some strength. Apoxie should be good since it is epoxy based. You wouldn't want to just use some random air-dry clay.

If you do paper mache, you're going to want to add armature for the handles. This means one or two strands of stiff wire (like coathanger) in the basic shape of the handle. Then wrap the paper strips around that. If you can use a bit of (possibly thinner) wire to tie these handles around the vase, and then paper mache the whole vase, that'd be even stronger.

mikazuki
11-19-2010, 05:10 PM
A person can buy a bisque piece and paint it. It won't have the same finish as a piece that went through a final fire but it would work if after painting the vase was sealed.

And not all vases of that style of made of porcelain. Any type of clay you can throw on a wheel would work. I miss throwing but it's too costly as a hobby.

ubercaledor
11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
The other issue with glass as a base is that it is REALLY heavy compared to a similar amount of papier mache, plastic, etc... If you wanted it to be sturdier without adding weight, you could also make a form out of foam/tinfoil and then papermache/resin/clay over the top. It wouldn't be hollow so you'd have less risk of shattering.

Colypso
11-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I once made a small clay ashtray thing long ago and it was really bad. lol I can't imagine myself making this thing by scratch. XD

Thanks for the ideas with the wire, I forgot about it would need strength in the handles. /Imanoob

How would I do it with the foam? I have only seen foam thats long but not thick, if you get what I'm saying. Would I have to jsut glue foam boxes together to get the height and width I need, or is there another way? I haven't really worked with foam much. DX

ubercaledor
11-29-2010, 03:41 AM
you can get foam in all shapes and sizes, depending on the type of foam. I think chopping up a pool noodle might be around the right size? as an example.