http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115733178482748
http://cryptozoic.posterous.com/costume-contest-at-darkmoon-faire-los-angeles

Time:
Saturday, December 4 @ 5:00 PM

Place:
Torrance Marriott South Bay
3635 Fashion Way
Torrance, CA

Registration begins at 4:30pm. You do NOT need to take part in other TCG events to compete! Just come in a Blizzard costume and register on time. There are over $3,000 in prizes being given away! Good luck!

Reformed Tomboy
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Are there any rules we should know about?

I wonder if it counts as cheating to go in my blizzcon costume..? haha

Maryssa
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Hmm. I may think about doing this. LOL it's right around the corner from work.

Tonksie
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
pondering going to this. I'd like to get another use out of my mage costume (it always makes me sad to spend months of work on something just to only wear it once). I would love to hang out with all you cosplayers some more though!

Maryssa
11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah if anything it would be nice to just hang with everyone!

Ayabi
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Are there any rules we should know about?

I wonder if it counts as cheating to go in my blizzcon costume..? haha

The only rule is that you have to be in a costume from a Blizzard game. BlizzCon costumes can be reworn.

EDIT: You can wear LITERALLY ANYTHING as long as it's related to Blizzard games. Original designs are fine.

Definitely come by to get more use out of your costumes and get another chance to hang out. This will be a MUCH more casual atmosphere than BlizzCon, so it will be easier to visit without yelling over each other or being herded all over the place like sheep.

Maryssa
11-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Not really sure what to wear though, maybe I'll just go for the hell of it. I have tons of cards but no one really to ever play the game with so maybe I can learn to play =p

ZerinaX
11-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I would love to teach you how to play Maryssa! I also have a friend coming to DMF who is also very new to the game and is just coming to learn and have a fun time.

dbchan
11-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd like to get another use out of my mage costume (it always makes me sad to spend months of work on something just to only wear it once).

I echo your sentiment. So much effort for one weekend of use!

Also, only god knows how many of those card I have. Got a starter deck from the con goodie bag a couple years back, paired with random fits of buying TCG in attempt to get loot cards from it. haha.

ZerinaX
11-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I echo your sentiment. So much effort for one weekend of use!

Also, only god knows how many of those card I have. Got a starter deck from the con goodie bag a couple years back, paired with random fits of buying TCG in attempt to get loot cards from it. haha.

!

I never got to tell you how much I LOVED your Auriaya costume at Blizzcon, it was hands down one of my favorite ones there. You did such a great job on it and the body paint was fantastic.

Pocket X
11-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Wish we could make it. Alas, work and distances make it impossible.

Have fun though and good luck to all entering! :) Should be a blast.

Nozze
11-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I wish I could go just to hang out with everyone. :[

AnimeGamer
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Trips to LA for me are actually quite rare - so I doubt I'll be able to make it to this. I do recommend if you are in the area though to actually go to this. The first time I met Samwise, it was at the WoW TCG's 1st World Championships when it was held in San Diego (it still blows my mind he actually remembered me years later back at SDCC 2010 and seeing him again at BlizzCon this year). It wouldn't surprise me to see Samwise there again - and maybe a few other high-profile Blizzard employees.

I would be kinda sad actually if Christie Golden showed up. I would love to get my novel signed.

Tonksie
11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
If I set up a lunch or dinner cosplayer and friends meetup on Saturday, would people be interested in that?

Reformed Tomboy
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Possibly. I'm about 80% sure I'll be going to participate in this contest, so after or before? I'll still need to get dressed, not sure how I'll be working that one...

Maryssa
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeahhh I have to figure out how I'm getting dressed there too...

dbchan
11-30-2010, 10:21 PM
!

I never got to tell you how much I LOVED your Auriaya costume at Blizzcon, it was hands down one of my favorite ones there. You did such a great job on it and the body paint was fantastic.

!!

Thank you! I think i blushed a little when I read that! haha. <3

Yours was absolutely amazing. Not that I need to tell you that! Congratulations on your win, btw. Maybe we'll get a chance to chat at the next one.

dbchan
11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeahhh I have to figure out how I'm getting dressed there too...

Didn't even think about this! bah. I'd have to body paint myself at HOME and then drive for two hours and get it all over my car!! yikes. haha.

... but, maybe thats not so bad. I'm kind of excited to wear the costume again. ^^'

Tonksie
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
haha, I'm going in street clothes and either find a bathroom to change in, or just do it backstage. Lucky, my costume is pretty easy to get into and out of. I wear a tank top under it, so can just start putting things on top without having to take anything off. I'm going low key on the makeup, so I can just put it on normally at home. Even my wig is simple, haha.

After being blue two years of Blizzcon and a year at comic-con, I feel your pain Db. I see a spot of blue on my fiance's passenger seat everytime I sit down and feel a little bad >.<

As for a lunch meet up, maybe around 1 or 2? It's hard to say because a lot of the people are working/volunteering for the event so might not be able to make it. Or we could go after the contest. Thoughts?

Maryssa
12-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Shall we all find a decent sized bathroom and have a help-everyone-get-dressed session? hah. I'll probably change right after we go eat if we even have time to eat. I may do a beginner tournament or something, so indecisive since I got back from vacation...

Tonksie
12-02-2010, 10:39 AM
haha I don't mind helping people out to get ready if they need it.
If you want to wait and put your paint on at the con DB, I can probably help you out.
My costume takes ~15 minutes to put on, tops. I'm thinking since my hair has grown out a little bit more, I may even forgo my wig (I really hate wearing wigs). Especially since my hair now looks almost exactly like my wig, lol.

Does anyone know what kind of format the contest will have? I'm a bit (ok, a lot) stage shy, and if I have no idea what to expect that will make it work. Anyone have any tips for ways to improve my "presentation"? I kind of blanked at Blizzcon and just did this really dumb little wave (even more dumb because I have almost no range of motion in my arms- I made my bracers slightly too long).

Sigh, I need to get better at the posing/ getting into character part of cosplay. All my pictures look the same because I just stand there and smile like a goober.

Reformed Tomboy
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Shall we all find a decent sized bathroom and have a help-everyone-get-dressed session? hah. I'll probably change right after we go eat if we even have time to eat. I may do a beginner tournament or something, so indecisive since I got back from vacation...

I think this is a good idea. I can't dress myself in this costume (ok, I get like half of it on) and I'm starting to think that dragging my boy out to this is going to be a bad idea. Especially if we go out somewhere after. So will someone be my squire? lol

When do the card events start? Depending how much it is I may participate as well.

Tonksie
12-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Here's the schedule that I found: http://cryptozoic.com/files/DMF_Los_Angeles_Event_Schedule_v4.pdf It doesn't include the costume contest, so I don't know how up-to-date it is. It does have prices though.

I can help out. I may need someone to tighten my corset laces and help me put on the back panel of my costume, if someone can help with that.

We're possibly checking out a wedding venue that morning, so I'm not sure when we'll be getting there- Are you guys competing in the tourney? When are you all planning on coming?

ZerinaX
12-03-2010, 01:21 AM
More costume contest information should be posted up tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that.

Maryssa
12-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Can't wait to see you gals!

catfetus
12-04-2010, 01:09 AM
You lucky people that live in the area! :( I wish I could go to fun casual stuff like this.

Does the event have a website or somewhere where pictures from it will be posted afterward?

Tonksie
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
So, my fiance and I are going to have lunch at BJs near Dmf around 1 or 1:30. Anyone is welcome to join! I'll update the time once we finish ou
r appointments and i have a better idea of when we'll get there.

dbchan
12-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Baaah I'm running late! It's 230 and I'm just leaving in San Diego. Pedal to the medal!

See you all soon (hopefully)!

Ayabi
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey, guys!

If some of you are being delayed due to traffic or other such things, toss up a post here or let someone already present at DMF know so they can pass on the info to staff. Ben said they are willing to delay the event to make sure everyone who wants to compete can do so :) I will check this post again closer to the start time to let him know if anyone here needs a bit more time.

LalaFTL
12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Can't wait to see some pictures!

Tonksie
12-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Grats to Maryssa and Ayabi on their tied first place!! So well deserved for both of you! Zerina did an awesome job MCing the contest!
Everyone looked fantastic, and I had so much fun getting to hang out with you all again!

dbchan
12-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Pictures!!!

http://www.wowtcg.com/live-coverage/darkmoon-faire-los-angeles-2010/gearing-costume-contest

Idmaif
12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
haha, i dont even know what this whole thing was, looks like a fun costume contest in so cal though! maybe someday... hehe

LalaFTL
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Yay, thanks for the link, db! You all looked fabulous. <3 Grats on your prizes!

Maryssa
12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Omg thanks guys! Tooooootally unexpected! I just figured why not, I'll get another outing for my Blizzcon costume, and bam! Everyone looked awesome as usual, and warlock gal you were amazing!
This was such a fun laid back event and it was nice to get to hang out with everyone!