PDA

View Full Version : A few weightloss tips :D

shuichixryuichi
11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Here Ill put a few tips to fit your cosplay~
Feel free to comment with yours! :3

I used to weigh about 155pds, and now 135. (going for 125 starting in Dec)
Its not easy because as you try to lose weight, your body functions change rapidly.
You must find a healthy balance.

1. tea is extremely good for you. Try green tea with breakfast and yogi tea with dinner. Yogi tea is an antioxidant tea that cleanses the body. (I get mine at Publix in the natural/organic items isle, not the tea isle.) WARNING: yogi tea does not taste good. Green tea will boost your metabolism. I only drink imported Japanese green tea. (usually sencha) Found at asian stores.

2. eat many small meals during the day. large meals will make you hungrier because the large amount stretches the stomach. This is hard at school because at my school food is only allowed in the cafeteria, otherwise you can get a refferal.<--school is soooo unhealthy

3. lay off all packaged snacks, especially chips. small sweets are ok on the weekend.

4. go to a restaurant only once a week at most. will put money in your pocket and remove fat intake, usually the other way around. try ordering a salad and fries.

5. goji and acai juice will help energize you. They taste good and if you dont like them in Walmart, usually around the checkout lanes, they have small purple packets with chewy candies made from acai juice. One brand has acai juiced mixed with blueberry, a smoother juice.

6. be sure to take calcium pills, vitamins, ect. Diets are never good for you because of the lack of nutrients.

7. learn a dance. I dance to Love&Joy. Its very quickpaced and upbeat.

8. listen to music that gives you a rush. Or play a videogame that has the same side effect, like Sonic. This will help your metabolism. <-- yes I love Sonic. Getting a rush is the same as getting hyper.

9. stay hydrated. If you become irritable that may be from dehydration. Its hard to stay hydrated at school becuse my school has a 10/10 rule where students arent allowed in the hallways 10 min after class starts and before it ends, so students are not allowed (unofficially) to go to the bathroom. So it is hard to drink water knowing youll have to go at the wrong time. (students usually go at those times because the teacher hasnt started teaching yet or has ended teaching. Most teachers refuse to let students out of the room while they are in the middle of a lecture.)

10. if you go to school dont take money with you so you cannot buy extra food. Same works for the workplace, but the what if situations...

11. at some point high caffeinated or sugared drinks will stimulate yourself quite effectively in small amounts. While they are not good for you, try clear sodas like Sprite or go alnaturelle.

12. keep moving all day long. Like when sitting in a chair move your legs back and fourth as if you have ADHD. And when walking try to powerwalk.

13. try building your will to keep yourself from wanting food. It is very hard, and although Im very good at it there is no perfection unfortunately. Its a mentality.

14. eat natural and organic foods. Less canned and processed foods as much as possible. Do not be fooled by food labels. I dont care if its plentiful of vitamins and fiber, its empty calories and lies.

15. yes. vegetables are good for you. I like to eat sugar snap peas raw... (no canned veggies! its mush and yellowed.)

16. all bread is bad. The only bread I like is French anyway... Doesnt matter if its 100% wheat... baaaad. (every once in a hile I spoil myself)
Eat oats(like oatmeal) instead if you want the nutrients. Though a little bread isnt bad for you. *bread is bad because of how quickly it turns to fat.

17. try walking places with friends instead of driving. Like to McDonalds. Some places are too dangerous however.

18. distract yourself from thinking of food. Great anime...manga...games...drawing...

19. working out doesnt make you lose weight. Try stretching all the time and feel your muscles.

20. always give yourself something to look forward to. Like a con or fitting into a cosplay.

21. spoil yourself sometimes. But dont think about it. ;)

22. never EVER skip meals. Your metabolism will drop dramatically.

23. anything (basically) in small amounts is ok. Dont shun foods just because its unhealthy.

24. what goes in needs to come out. If you eat something, you need to expend that energy. Basically, if you eat something and sit around it will turn to fat most of the time. (unless you have a high metabolism. then that energy is immediately expended even if you sit around)

Thats all I have for now. Any ideas anyone? :D

Also, these are just tips that work for me. It does not mean they WILL work for you or are completely correct. Take and try as you like.

And, if you are young there is a slight chance you can still be skinny and eat alot. As, removing the diet. However this tends to require mental training..

Random info:
Vitamin water doesnt work because the vitamins will lose their potency by the time you buy it.-source (http://www.uncrate.com/men/culture/drinks/activate-drinks/)
Vitamin Water doesnt contain very many vitamins and gives you a ton of sugar. -source (http://healthy-eating.fitsugar.com/Truth-About-Vitamin-Water-541747)

Alicewonders
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I think a few of these tips are misinformation..

16. Breads are not bad for you. Ezekiel breads or whole grains breads are good for you. Any bread is okay in moderation.

11. I don't know if am understanding you correctly but high caffinated drinks and sugared drinks do nothing to your metabolism. Infact they add extra sugar and if not worked out they turn into fat pounds.

6. If you eat right on a diet, you are not lacking in any vitamins so a person doesn't need to take any additional vitamins.

shuichixryuichi
11-20-2010, 12:10 AM
16. That's misinformation. Breads are not bad for you. Ezekiel breads or whole grains breads are good for you.

in what way?

There are benefits to whole grain bread, however bread is too calorie rich for those who are trying to lose weight. Try oats. Oats are more beneficial to the body and less calories.

Alicewonders
11-20-2010, 12:19 AM
in what way?

There are benefits to whole grain bread, however bread is too calorie rich for those who are trying to lose weight. Try oats. Oats are more beneficial to the body and less calories.

Your body needs those calories to function. Your body is like a furnace and you need oil to keep it going. Carbs gives your body energy which keeps your body moving.

Yes oats are beneficial but they can be as much calories and carbs as breads.

So no, breads are not bad and yes people should eat them.

shuichixryuichi
11-20-2010, 12:26 AM
*I think a few of these tips are misinformation..

16. Breads are not bad for you. Ezekiel breads or whole grains breads are good for you. Any bread is okay in moderation.

------------------------------------------------------
see end comment.

11. I don't know if am understanding you correctly but high caffinated drinks and sugared drinks do nothing to your metabolism. Infact they add extra sugar and if not worked out they turn into fat pounds.

I meant energy use. *edits-thanks for the letknow*
If your mind is stimulated you can use energy at a better rate. 1 can a day doesnt hurt. Nothing will hurt you in small amounts.

6. If you eat right on a diet, you are not lacking in any vitamins so a person doesn't need to take any additional vitamins.
You shouldnt be following an exact diet. You need to follow what your body craves or your needs will not be met. A diet is usually interpretted as consuming less, as you are. If you are consuming less then you are not obtaining the same vitamin intake as not dieting. Even though it is possible to take enough nutrients from a diet, most people cannot handle that for they will have to completely change their lifestyle to obtain everything. You cannot expect people to do that so vitamins are needed. If you had a healthy lifestyle you wouldnt need to do this in the first place.

You can get calories from any food. Oatmeal is a great alternative to bread because bread will turn to fat quickly like soda.

Arti
11-20-2010, 06:22 PM
*I think a few of these tips are misinformation..

[I]

I meant energy use. *edits-thanks for the letknow*
If your mind is stimulated you can use energy at a better rate. 1 can a day doesnt hurt. Nothing will hurt you in small amounts.

It's just the caffeine that gives you that added boost. It releases ephinephrine which causes your metabolism to increase slightly, and allowing fat to be readily available to be used as energy. It's usually the added sugar that gives us the excess calories that aren't really needed: the calories consumed throught the day is sufficient enough. Energy drinks load sugar into them to give them that extra surge of energy (the so-called sugar rush) but you then get the usual crash. This is caused by the excess insulin in your bloodstream caused by that hi-sugar spike that prevents fat to be used as an energy source. Once the Insulin is cleared out of the bloodstream, you're back to normal.

You shouldnt be following an exact diet. You need to follow what your body craves or your needs will not be met. A diet is usually interpretted as consuming less, as you are. If you are consuming less then you are not obtaining the same vitamin intake as not dieting. Even though it is possible to take enough nutrients from a diet, most people cannot handle that for they will have to completely change their lifestyle to obtain everything. You cannot expect people to do that so vitamins are needed. If you had a healthy lifestyle you wouldnt need to do this in the first place.

For just a cosplayer just looking to keep in shape I would not worry about diet too much to the point that you're crunching vitamins. You should get all the necessary vitamins and minerals on a well-balanced diet. If you're really concerned about getting all the necessary micronutrients, either take a multivitamin or get a blood test to see what your body is lacking.

You can get calories from any food. Oatmeal is a great alternative to bread because bread will turn to fat quickly like soda.

For the people who are gluten sensitive, Oats is great because it's high in fiber and in complex carbs which white breads lackof. Also, it depends on the type of bread too. I assume you're talking about white bread because it's pretty common. I honestly started to drift away from white bread not because it was bad for me, but it had a pretty bad shelf life. I woudn't say that bread is bad for you. Oats can be the same thing if you eat tons and tons of it. The catch about oats is that oats will keep you fuller with the extra fiber in them, so it naturally keeps limits you from eating to much in a sitting. Oh, and White bread itself doesn't necessarily make you fat, its the butter/peanut butter/mayo/condiments that's put on that makes you fat much faster than just the bread itself.

Yonbi
11-20-2010, 07:08 PM
19. working out doesnt make you lose weight. Try stretching all the time and feel your muscles.

Working out DOES make you lose weight. Everyone should do some physical activity (walking, jogging, running, hitting the gym, yoga, dancing, sports, anything)daily, you don't need to hit the gym to "properly" work out. There's thousands of enjoyable activities that is incorporated with working out. It's extremely beneficial. People who diet and expect to lose weight without exercising, that's ridiculous. Daily exercise helps you sleep better, slows the ageing process, gives you plenty of energy during the day, builds and maintains healthy muscles, bones and joints, strengthens your immune system, and helps you manage your weight. Not to mention that it just makes you feel good. There's several different ways to lose weight by exercising, as well as just toning or building muscle.

Stretching is every bit a part of working out, too.

Loplod
11-20-2010, 08:10 PM
shuichixryuichi, I think you have worded some things poorly and thats whats confusing people.

Also it would be good to put some sort of disclaimer on your post saying that this is your opinion and yadda yadda not a nutritionist just me experiences blah blah (Kinda like that Kasinator does, Its just a little safety net if you get something wrong :P)
Edit: You do have something like that, I just didn't get down that far. PUT IT AT THE TOP :thumbsup:

I think its really cool that you are chucking up a good wall of text like that and helping people out. Don't be disheartened by all the nay-sayers, Take what they are saying on board, Learn from it and gain new perspectives and ideas!

Yonbi
11-20-2010, 09:44 PM
shuichixryuichi, I think you have worded some things poorly and thats whats confusing people.

Also it would be good to put some sort of disclaimer on your post saying that this is your opinion and yadda yadda not a nutritionist just me experiences blah blah (Kinda like that Kasinator does, Its just a little safety net if you get something wrong :P)
Edit: You do have something like that, I just didn't get down that far. PUT IT AT THE TOP :thumbsup:

I think its really cool that you are chucking up a good wall of text like that and helping people out. Don't be disheartened by all the nay-sayers, Take what they are saying on board, Learn from it and gain new perspectives and ideas!

Agreed, I kind of missed the little safety net at the bottom, too. I wouldn't get disheartened by "nay-sayers" either, but do take into consideration some corrections. Learn, and move on. But, I've gotta say that you've got some good points about dieting, being hydrated, and taking vitamins if you can't eat a balanced meal that has everything (Sometimes, we just don't have time). It's expensive to be healthy. ;)

Though, I'll repeat again, WORKING OUT is essential to losing weight. Unless your metabolism is over 9000.

32spartan11
11-20-2010, 11:00 PM

24. what goes in needs to come out. If you eat something, you need to expend that energy. Basically, if you eat something and sit around it will turn to fat most of the time. (unless you have a high metabolism. then that energy is immediately expended even if you sit around)

14. eat natural and organic foods. Less canned and processed foods as much as possible. Do not be fooled by food labels. I dont care if its plentiful of vitamins and fiber, its empty calories and lies.

17. try walking places with friends instead of driving. Like to McDonalds. Some places are too dangerous however.

These quotes directly conflict with each other. There is a ton of misinformation in your points. Some of them have value but many don't, sorry but true. As with what the others have said it's great to put the time out and try to help out.

But losing fat (weight) is not just about dieting and nutrition. Working out is just as important. By dieting without working out you'll lose about 75% fat and 25% muscle. By working out and maintaining muscle you'll help keep body image up and accelerate your FAT loss.

Most people just want to lose fat for their body image to look and feel better. They then get caught up with how much they weigh and focus on pounds. Which is important because you should lose anywhere from 1-5 lbs a week (depending on how much you have to lose) any more will be too easily gained back. I would recommend for everyone to NOT focus so much on the lbs but how you look and feel.

Rjr3412
11-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Sorry, but there is just some horrible, horrible misinformation here. While you may have seen some success despite this, like the others, I feel compelled to clarify a few things.

2. eat many small meals during the day. large meals will make you hungrier because the large amount stretches the stomach. This is hard at school because at my school food is only allowed in the cafeteria, otherwise you can get a refferal.<--school is soooo unhealthy

Eating many small meals throughout the day "can" be very effective. It does not however have any actual benefit beyond easier control. Eating larger less frequent meals is perfectly effective, but requires greater will power for portion control.

4. go to a restaurant only once a week at most. will put money in your pocket and remove fat intake, usually the other way around. try ordering a salad and fries.

While salads are a great choice, and I firmly support that, they are not by default healthy. If you load it up with fried chicken, cheese and dressing you are probably going to end up eating more calories than you would otherwise, and most of it will be fats. Dressing has a huge amount of calories per serving, and so you should be mindful of what is on that salad.

5. goji and acai juice will help energize you. They taste good and if you dont like them in Walmart, usually around the checkout lanes, they have small purple packets with chewy candies made from acai juice. One brand has acai juiced mixed with blueberry, a smoother juice.

Juice energizes you because its full of sugar. It may be great in anti-oxidants and nutrients but a good multi-vitamin takes care of that too. While I am not saying you can't have and enjoy juice while trying to lose weight, it is not likely to help you.
6. be sure to take calcium pills, vitamins, ect. Diets are never good for you because of the lack of nutrients.

8. listen to music that gives you a rush. Or play a videogame that has the same side effect, like Sonic. This will help your metabolism. <-- yes I love Sonic. Getting a rush is the same as getting hyper.

Video games, regardless of how exciting, are not going to significantly affect your metabolism. If you want to increase your metabolism, eat better and move more.

11. at some point high caffeinated or sugared drinks will stimulate yourself quite effectively in small amounts. While they are not good for you, try clear sodas like Sprite or go alnaturelle.

Caffeine does offer a small benefit to metabolism, when not used regularly. If you have had caffeine everyday for years straight you will be unlikely to be able to realize any real benefit from it. Try taking two weeks off from it every two or three months for greater effect.

But, and this is important, if you are combining caffeine with sugar, whatever minor benefit is being offered by it, will be more than counter-balanced and cancelled out by the sugar. Diet soda, sweetener controversy aside, can be useful, but should still not be consumed regularly as it can still make you retain water.

13. try building your will to keep yourself from wanting food. It is very hard, and although Im very good at it there is no perfection unfortunately. Its a mentality.

While I don't necessarily disagree with building willpower, I would like to add that it can be quite useful to stick to a very regular schedule and plan your meals ahead. If you know that you will be eating "X" in an hour, you will be far more likely to stave off any cravings to snack now.

Overrated, but if your wallet can afford natural and organic, enjoy yourself.

16. all bread is bad. The only bread I like is French anyway... Doesnt matter if its 100% wheat... baaaad. (every once in a hile I spoil myself)
Eat oats(like oatmeal) instead if you want the nutrients. Though a little bread isnt bad for you. *bread is bad because of how quickly it turns to fat.

Wow. Just wow. Bread is not fattening on its own. Too many calories is fattening. In fact de novo lipogenesis (the process of converting carbs to fat) just isn't all that effective, unless you are consuming far too many carbs day after day after day.

This does not mean you can eat breads without restraint, but they can be included in a healthy diet.

Even if you walk to McDonalds, if you are eating from there, I doubt the five minute walk is going to help with the burger, fries and shake you order. Even if you get a diet soda....
18. distract yourself from thinking of food. Great anime...manga...games...drawing...

Where did you even get this? Lifting weights offers the BEST long term effect at losing body fat. It helps you retain/add muscle mass while reducing body fat. So that once you have dropped the pounds your body composition has improved. If you go from 200lbs at 30% bodyfat, and drop down to 150lbs at 30% bodyfat, you're still going to look fat.

Adding in weight training and a moderate amount of cardio is the best, best, best addition you can make to a healthy diet in order to get into better shape. If all you care about is the number on the scale though, forgoing lifting will allow you to drop muscle mass more quickly, and so the number will drop faster.

22. never EVER skip meals. Your metabolism will drop dramatically.

False! It takes about 18 hours after a decent sized meal before the metabolism will drop significantly. Blood sugar, in healthy normal individuals takes almost a week to significantly drop.

However, eating right and getting the right number of calories will be the most significant effect. Simply skipping a meal offers no benefit, if you binge later.

I apologize if any of this came off overly harsh, but some of us have been making continued efforts to spread good information on this board. There is a lot of misleading, mistaken and just plain wrong information out there.

If anyone disagrees with any statements I made feel free to PM me and I will send links to the appropriate studies backing it up.

marluxia666
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
After I eat Diner I go walking for about 3 hours and it keeps me intertained because I get to watch the sunset and listin to my favorite music.

~BloodCaduceus~
08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I drink a LOT of Green Tea, not from a bottle, brewed from a teabag.

Second, I use an elliptical machine for one hour sessions, this does WAY less harm to my knees then a treadmill and have done WONDERS for my thigh and calf muscles.

Third, I allow myself snacks, then one large meal per day, that way I am not starving, but not eating constantly as well.

Slapthefatcat
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
On number 16, you said "hile," not "while." Aside from that, good job!