PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars cosplay

Kypros Volteous
11-21-2010, 06:34 AM
I noticed a couple of threads along this line, but there are both 3 or 4 years old >.<. Just wondering if there any Guild Wars cosplayers out there. If so, are any of you planning on wearing your Guild Wars costume to Anime North 2011?

I plan on going as my Guild Wars character, Kypros Volteous. A male elementalist in elite Kurzick armor dyed white, with a flame aura, Droknars scepter, and a flame artifact (flame style not the eye one).

Visage
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Greetings Kypros Volteous,

I have considered Guild Wars cosplay in the past because a lot of the art is really gorgeous and the costumes look very visually stunning. However, I also find the detail work on a lot of it to be incredibly intimidating, so I haven't gathered up confidence to attempt any of them. I give you a lot of credit to undertake such an ambitious project. :) You should post some photos when it's complete! Maybe one of these days I'll actually summon up the drive to tackle one of the designs. :)

Kypros Volteous
11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes the artwork is good, and the detail is intimidating. Shouldn't let that hold you back though. This will be my official first costume that I have done myself (mostly), and I think I've taken on one of the more detailed character outfits Guild Wars has to offer. Anime North is currently about 6 months away. So I'm trying to take my time with it. Get a bit done, relax, do the next bit. Just a small bit every day. Got 6 months so, it should be done in time.

I do plan on posting pictures of what I'm planning on doing, and posting update pics as well. Right now I've got a fair amount of blueprints, patterns, materials and ideas on how things will go together. I have tomorrow off, so I'll try to remember to post some pics then.

Visage
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
It's good that you have a plan, and allotted yourself time for its execution. For a costume so detailed and elaborate, having a plan is invaluable, and starting with plenty of time to spare allows for all the unexpected bumps and setbacks along the way. (Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it seems in *every* project at least one issue crops up that I didn't initially anticipate.) I also personally like to have all my materials before I start, because nothing bothers me more than having to stop work until I acquire the fabric/trim/beads/parts I need to continue.

What fabrics are you using for your elite Kurzick set and how were you planning on tackling the details? Looking forward to seeing the plans/progress. :)

Kypros Volteous
11-28-2010, 08:46 AM
For Droknars Scepter

I'm using a piece of PCV pipe for the shaft. The double interlocked pyramids at the staff head is made from plasticard, the same material used for the Votoms last year. It will have lights set up in it.

For the Flame Artifact

Using a dense pink styrofoam, normally used in construction. Fairly rigid and strong stuff, easy to cut (somewhat) and can be filed or sanded down. Once formed it will be covered in plain old children's white glue. This glue doesn't melt the foam as most glues do, and will provide a paintable surface. As paints tend to melt foam as well :). Will also be wired for lights.

Armor itself

I've alread picked up a slightly stretchy black fabric for the gloves, boots and pants. And a durable, almost like a light denim, white material for the pants and boots. Haven't gotten anything for the overcoat yet. (sorry, don't know the exact names for the fabrics, and I can't track down the receipt)
The boots will be made like a cloth leg-warmer style, with a foot attached, that will attach to and over a pair of sneakers.
As for the detail work, which is found on the arms, sides and back of the overcoat, sides of the pants and to a lesser degree the gloves. That will all be hand stitched. I've already tested the feasibility of this on an old tee shirt, and its doable, but time consuming. Though with practice, I hope the time bit will get better :)

I did set up an album to show the stuff. But for some reason all the pics I posted keep disappearing. Trying to figure out what I'm screwing up.

Anyways, I'm expecting my share of unexpected events causing problems. All projects have that issue. In fact I've already encountered one, and have fixed it.

Visage
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Wow, that's a lot of hand stitching! To make your life easier, I would probably try to find a way to transpose the design onto the fabric before you start stitching to help with the spacing and symmetry. If you have access to a sewing machine, you may want to see if the stitch you want to use is something the machine may be capable of doing. A lot of newer sewing machines have a lot of decorative stitch options. :) You may still have to do smaller pieces by hand, like the gloves, but it might save you some time on the large pieces (like the back of the jacket).

I'm not sure how much experience you have with fabric, but if you're experienced with it, you can disregard this paragraph. Because you're not familiar with fabric names, I'm guessing you don't have to shop for fabric too often. :) When you go to purchase your coat material, make sure you bring little cuts of the other fabrics you chose along with you to make sure the fabrics will look all right together. The cuts don't have to be very large, just large enough to match colors and textures. I usually make mine out of corners and they're usually about an inch or two wide. (While it sounds a bit crazy, blacks don't always match.)

I don't have much experience with prop building at all, but it sounds like you really have a good plan laid out for those. :) I think it's awesome that you're planning for them to light up! :D

Technowraith
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I play Guild Wars periodically and find the costumes to be really neat. While they aren't easy to do, off someone pulls one off, wow. That would be a neat costume to see. There's so much detail in the artwork and such.

Alucardalina
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm going to cosplay Eve sometime in the future, and perhaps my Elementalist, Alucardalina Claire.
I feel confident in making the costume itself, because I'm going to be using vinyl, something I've used before, and a lot of metal notions.
The only part I'm not going to be able to do myself is the styling of the wig. I'll probably pay someone to style either wig.

Kypros Volteous
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Great to see. Eve has been done by many cosplayers, thats what happens when you are on the cover of the box :) I'm not sure by what you mean by metal notions. But if you want a suggestion, try using rivets for the stud work. They are cheap and easy to use.

What armor would you create for your elementalist? So many decent ones to choose from.

Alucardalina
12-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Stormforged Elite for my ele, complete with firewand and flame artifact.
I think Eve's the prettiest of all the henchmen out there. XD Strange enough, I'm told I pull off darker characters than girlish, even though I'm not really into that sort of cosplay.
And I like your idea with the rivets. I already have some studs that I'm looking into using with this cosplay, but I think I'll incorporate it all. Thank you!

Kypros Volteous
12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Found my receipt for the fabrics. The black is Cotton Lycra and the white is Old Navy Twill. Borrowed a friends sewing machine. He never even opened the box >.< But it has an embroider function on it that will shave hours off of my work time :)

Took your suggestion and cut a couple of corners off my fabrics. One set to compare to other fabrics when purchasing, and one set to see how well they wash.

Going to set up a journal here soon. Just gotta get some of the holiday craziness to settle down a bit :)

Have a happy holiday season

Kypros

Visage
12-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Sounds like you have some nice, comfy fabric types that will be easy to work with. :) It's great you were able to find a machine with a function that will cut down your work time and avoid tedium!

I've never thought about taking swatches to wash before, but it's a good idea. Although I've never had a problem with prewashing any of my fabrics per the care instructions on the bolt before starting, it would be nice to see exactly what I'm going to end up with before I put the entire cut into the machine.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and start working on a Gwen cosplay after the holiday season. :)

Can't wait to see the progress journal. :) Happy holidays!

Kypros Volteous
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (or happy holidays if your non-christian).

Go for it. Take the plunge.

Now that holiday madness is over, I can get back to my costume :)

I have also started my journal. Little bit long for the first entry, but the updates shouldn't be anywhere near as long.

Need to get more game pics, and actual progress photos done.

Kypros

Liiansa
01-26-2011, 01:18 AM
I can't wait to see the pictures! I've seen a few Guild Wars cosplays on here but never in person. If i get all my other projects finished I'll do one for PAX Prime in Sept. Maybe try and convince my guild leader to cosplay too.

Ranmao
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Not this year but probably next year I want to cosplay the necromancer that was on the cover. :3

Kypros Volteous
06-13-2011, 11:20 PM
I must apologize, for not keeping up with a log of progress like I promised. Several things happened to hamper me. If it wasn't for a friend, I wouldn't have had a costume for Anime North. I will post in my galleries some shots of it. It isn't 100% accurate to the look in the game, but it was as close as I could get.

Kypros