PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you are sick

Kasinator
11-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Take a guess why I am writing this. Yea I have one nasty cold right now luckily I know what to do! here is what you need to learn:

Rest:

Get as much as you can until you get better. hopefully you know this. Never exercise while sick. You will just weaken your immune system if you do that.

If you cant exercise, DIET!

nothing is stopping you from eating right and healthy make sure you do this. read into my simple guide to nutrition on this. just eat a bit less since you are resting mostly, but DO NOT STARVE. you just want to keep the fire burning.

Im going to pass out now. Take care guys! :)

Alicewonders
11-22-2010, 06:44 AM
My diet coach suggested to me when I came to see him with the con crude, to drink some pom juice.

Kasinator
11-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Juices can be a real trap food if you are not careful. always read the labels. ;)

Alicewonders
11-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Juices can be a real trap food if you are not careful. always read the labels. ;)

I've been seeing my diet coach for a year and few months. I know exactly what juice can do, it's why I don't drink juice. I only drink tea and water. He's taught me well.

It's why I said Pom Juice. It's a specific brand of pomegranate juice. It's made out of nothing but pomegranate. It's great for you because it's just filled with antioxidants. So when you're sick, it's what your body needs.

It helped fight against the con crude.

zssfanxxx
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I barely have a cold now..since I exercise everyday.
But if I do get sick though...I can't move.:sulk:

Loplod
11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
If I get sick I just don't go hardout. Rather than going for a run I'll just take a long walk (with plenty of water) or at least manage to do somthing. Otherwise I might get lazy and just tell myself I am too sick to exersize when really im doing fine.

ShineyPenny
11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I usually only get a severe case of congestion when I'm sick. Drink a lot of water, take those Vitamin C boosters, sweat it out under covers and eat a lot of peppers (a natural decongestant). I'm good to go within 2 days.

gothicpanda
11-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Being careful not to get dehydrated is extremely important.

If you have perscribed medications that tell you to take them until they are
all gone, DO IT, even if you feel better before they run out!

Chasie
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I was just going to post a question on this matter.
Me and my roommate have been volleying a cold back and forth and I haven't been to the gym in nearly two weeks. :/
I feel like I'm going to get fat if I don't go but I've been advised not to.
-sigh-

ShineyPenny
11-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Exercising while being ill is not something you want to do. Just imagine what your body is doing:

1. Fighting a virus/bacteria, your immune system is going nuts
2. Elevating the body temperature to drive out the sickness
3. Using insane amounts of carbohydrates to fuel the "war"

There are more things that happen, but that's the jest of it. This isn't including the energy your body needs to maintain itself.

You won't gain weight while being sick, it's actually very hard to do since fighting off the cold/flu is like an internal cardiovascular workout for your body 24/7 until it's gone. What you're probably feeling is the breakdown of muscle tissue, which is normal if you don't exercise after awhile. Which really sucks for us guys, the first day back to the gym after being ill is like working out for the very first time :)

Chocolat Booh
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Exercising while being ill is not something you want to do. Just imagine what your body is doing:

1. Fighting a virus/bacteria, your immune system is going nuts
2. Elevating the body temperature to drive out the sickness
3. Using insane amounts of carbohydrates to fuel the "war"

There are more things that happen, but that's the jest of it. This isn't including the energy your body needs to maintain itself.

You won't gain weight while being sick, it's actually very hard to do since fighting off the cold/flu is like an internal cardiovascular workout for your body 24/7 until it's gone. What you're probably feeling is the breakdown of muscle tissue, which is normal if you don't exercise after awhile. Which really sucks for us guys, the first day back to the gym after being ill is like working out for the very first time :)

Great to here because for the past two days all I've been doing is drinking tea,orange juice and watching Punkin Chunkin XD and even better to hear since I think I'll be out of school for the rest of the week

Kawaiichibiz
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I eat alot of junk when I get sick because there's nothing else I feel like eating, and I don't feel like moving because I'm sick. Right now I am sick and I am just planning on exercising and changing my diet back to normal as soon as I feel better. :(

Kanomi
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh.. you don't exercise if you're sick? Dx. Whenever I'm sick I just run a few laps and usually my stuffy nose goes away and I don't feel light headed... Then after I rest I get them back. Until I'm healthy anyway. Oh boy...

yuya_valentine
12-03-2010, 08:34 AM
When I get sick I never ever ever take any medicine. I make my body fight for it, that way its immune system builds up pretty strongly (I didn't get sick for 3 years). Just relax, drink lots of water and ginger/honey tea if your throat hurts. And stay warm!

Flora88
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I agree with the OP.
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but...
Fitness should come second to personal health (as in illness, etc.) If you're like, "OHNOEZ I can't work out today because I've got Mono! ...Wait, maybe I can work out anyway!" you might want to re-examine your priorities. It's one thing to work out to be healthy, and another thing to let working out control your life.

If you're sick, calm down and let your body recover.

therob127
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree with the OP.
Fitness should come second to personal health (as in illness, etc.) If you're like, "OHNOEZ I can't work out today because I've got Mono! ...Wait, maybe I can work out anyway!" you might want to re-examine your priorities. It's one thing to work out to be healthy, and another thing to let working out control your life.

^ THIS

I got sick at the beginning of the week. I'm just now getting over it after drinking more orange/apple juices and water than my body knows what to do with. I was tempted to go to the gym last night or the previous night but I decided to not even tempt it and let my body get more rest and time to recover. I'm glad I did because I know I wouldn't feel as good as I do now otherwise.

Now I will hit the gym hard next week and get back on track. :bigtu:

Flora88
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Exactly.
AND, it's not like you'll be able to get as thorough a workout as you'd ideally want while you're sick.

DaemonForce
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
When I get sick it's never something simple like a cold or the flu because I don't get those. I get severe internal problems where my body does a systematic shutdown. Usually takes some kind of surgery to fix it or reveal another problem.

Also, my diet sucks and I'm very lazy. I like chicken sandwiches, eggrolls and black tea. :/

alpha_helix
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with the OP.

Especially if it actually is Mono, seeing as strenuous activity + enlarged spleen = baaaaad. Bad, as in, risk of spleen rupture. That'll mess up your work out schedule.