PDA

View Full Version : Duo Maxwell Wig

KaineMaxwell
10-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Anyone got any ideas where to find a decent wig for Duo Maxwell? Or what wigs should I look for at say, party City or Halloween stores?

domestik
10-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Yanno, I was hoping someone would make this topic as well since I, too, am looking for a Duo Maxwell wig. I would've commissioned it from Katie Blair but she's booked throughout the months I needed it done by. @_@

Anyone else have any ideas/advice/tips? ^^;

kdthompson
10-12-2003, 01:25 PM
http://www.witchwigs.com/
http://www.madgeelainesworld.com/index.html
http://www.ragdolly.net/

Those are all really good places to order wigs from. I'd definately suggest madge elaine's world. It's a little costume shop and Florida, and she actually has a clue of what the world 'cosplay' means. She's really nice to, and quite understanding and willing to work within a budget in need be. I'm planning on ordering myself a Duo wig from her myself. However, even if you're not in Florida (I'm located in NC myself), she'll happily ship anything to you. I've heard the other places are good too, but I haven't worked with them personally.

Beware_UY7
10-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Hm, you can get wigs from amphigory.com (where katie bair actually gets most of her wigs)
Their enchantment wig is 44 inches long, but doesn't have bangs. So, you'd have to cut bangs into it. But that's quite simple. Their prices are good, too, well, the best I've seen, and they're good quality wigs, aswell.

KaineMaxwell
10-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks so far! hey Dar, IM me sometime please, like your Duo outfit.

KaineMaxwell
10-14-2003, 10:33 PM
It's not bad to use a girls wig for Duo right and then braid it somehow?

Lucifer
10-14-2003, 10:44 PM
If you're going to wear Duo's priest hat, you could also attach a hair extenion (braided) to the back and glue in fake bangs. Then merely tuck your hair up into the cap. I've seen a few do this, and with a little work it comes off nicely (plus much cheaper).

KaineMaxwell
10-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I actually do have the black baseball cap...

Spooky Brew
10-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Hate to tell you, out of every five Duo's, four are wearing caps. The cap thing get's really old really quickly. I did do the braid to the cap thing, it really is a pain, just because how much weight the cap has to hold for the hair, and the cap does start to slip back from the weight. I would suggest get a nice long wig, put it on a foam head, and braid it from there, you can get some nice ones off of eBay. That's just my opinion though.

KaineMaxwell
10-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Spooky, so go for the wig then for *some* orginially? Got it. Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Chiri
10-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Originality is usually the greatest way to go, and Ebay can be a God when it comes to finding wigs :D *just recently recieved her Seras wig, that looks excellent in comparison*

KaineMaxwell
10-15-2003, 04:21 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=chestnut+brown+wig&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

*Wonders if any these would work

Spooky Brew
10-15-2003, 11:39 PM
With eBay, you can't be totally specific with colours, because most of the sellers aren't actually wig know it alls. The best is just to put "Brown wig" and see what comes up, put "long" everyone once in a while as well. If your specific, you may lose that perfect wig that some dumb-nut put under 'Brown long wig shiny!'
Don't get me wrong, you can go very specific for something, but for wigs you need a broad range! lol

KaraokeKate
10-16-2003, 01:45 AM
If I were making a Duo Maxwell wig, I'd start with a medium length wig, not a long one. The long ones tend to be less full, and pulling them back into braids doesn't provide the best of results.

By combining a shorter wig with extensions, you can have the braid and still have enough fiber on top of the wig to make the bangs correctly. ^_^

-Katie

KaineMaxwell
10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys, if anyone does ocme across a good medium or long lengthed wig on ebay and I miss it please lemme know.

kate, could we speak more on wigs later sometime please?

TsukiGuujin
10-16-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm a big Duo fan, and since my hair actually isn't really long enough, I was considering getting a wig for a while. I actually saw a French braided wig that would have worked perfect....but it was blonde. >.<

Of course, I just ended up dyeing my hair Duo's color and braiding it, even if it is too short. Next year, it will be long enough. ^^;

Anyway.
I think hair extentions are more feasible than French braiding a wig, actually. French braiding a wig would be a huge nightmare. Because of how wigs are made, I think that French braiding one, or even regular braiding one, would leave a mess of netting.

If your hair is too short for extentions, then, I guess a wig is the only option. But my guess would be you'll have to add more hair to a normal wig.

eBay is a good place to look for wigs, definitlely.

Good Luck! ^___^

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

KaineMaxwell
10-16-2003, 12:47 PM
My hair is definitly too short. lol

TsukiGuujin
10-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Then I would definitely suggest buying both a wig AND extensions. Think about sewing them into the netting or something. Because wigs aren't made to French braid. Which really sucks. >.<

~~Tsuki~~

KaraokeKate
10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
But you need to add side panels first.

As for ebay being a "great place to get wigs"... well, it can often be a "cheap place to get wigs", but I don't know if that's necessarily the same thing.

Although it might seem like saving the $20 by getting a $15 wig on eBay is a financially wise decision, consider that you could probably take a lighter to that $15 and it would be just as well spent. Then again, if you're only making the costume to wear once, you might as wlel get a wig you can only wear once too. ~_^

Spooky Brew
10-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Side Panels? What exactly does that mean? As well, how would you go about putting extensions onto a wig? Would it just be as simple as the instructions on your site, Katie?

KaraokeKate
10-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Side panels are just like they sound: panels, of fiber, on the sides. Basically they're folded wefts that are attached inside out to conceal the meshing and add more to braid with.

The next tutorial I'll be putting up (in December) will be all about adding wefts to wigs, either for length or thickness. ^_^

KaineMaxwell
10-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Katie may I ask where these tutorials are?

Spooky Brew
10-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Their on her site www.KatieBair.com
Just click oh her wigs section and you'll see the tutorial section on her wigs menu!

KaineMaxwell
10-17-2003, 09:20 AM
If anyone finds some good ones I may be intrested in on ebay pleas elemme know if I miss them...

*Jibrielle*
10-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Well you can start with a medium wig and as you are braiding it you can add extensions...

KaineMaxwell
10-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Hmm, that's true too...thanks

KaineMaxwell
10-20-2003, 09:42 PM
I talked to some friends about it and I think I'mg onna go for a medium length wig, have it start to be braided, then get the french braid extensions to finish it. Then figure out the bangs.