PDA

View Full Version : Issue with exercising

Lord RPGs
11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
So anyway, I tried exercising for the first time in... Well, it's been a while, let's just say that. The point is, it's been well over a day since I did exercise at this point, and my arms and legs are still aching. Like, I'll walk up/down the stairs, and my legs will be in utter pain. I opened a can of beans using a manual can opener a few hours ago, and my arms ached like hell.

Is it supposed to be this painful for this long? I have no clue if I've just done something horribly wrong, or if this is normal, or what, so seriously, anyone who knows why this is, let me know. Please.

FE Freak
11-25-2010, 09:21 PM
You're most likely just sore. Your body isn't used to doing however much exercise you did. Give it another day or so and you'll be fine. Try getting the rub-on cream for achy muscles.

Lord RPGs
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Thank you so much for letting me know that! At least the pain let's me know it's probably working. Xp

Incidentally, should I do any more exercise today (whilst I'm still aching), or should I wait until I feel less sore?

daylight
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
soreness lasts for about 3-4 days

I recommend a day of rest.
If you keep exercising on top of your soreness, it will take a couple weeks for your body to adjust

Loplod
11-25-2010, 11:46 PM
While you are starting 2 rest days is good, Make sure you don't over exert yourself, That would be bad

But don't wait for the soreness to be fully gone before you go again.

What sort of exercises are you doing? it might be smart to divide different sections into days. I have my workout days on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and do a different body part each day so that part has time to rest.

ShineyPenny
11-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Eat protein rich foods and water. You're sore from the workout, that's all.

Captain Planet
11-26-2010, 02:36 AM
As you work out, the muscles secrete this ''lubricant'' which, if said muscles haven't been exposed to it for some times, will cause an impression of inflammation or soreness. It never lasts longer than a couple days and should you train again, you might feel it harsh at first, but the aftermath should be much better. A few sessions from now you'll start feeling much lighter, and the pain will be gone.

Over exerting yourself is bad too, but like one of my teachers used to say ''Effort is only worth effort when it begins to hurt.'' ;)

Rjr3412
11-26-2010, 04:26 PM
One thing you can do, depending on how you organized your exercise, is alternate between upper body and lower body workouts. So basically even if part of you is sore, it won't really be the part you are working on the next time you exercise.

But yeah, if you aren't used to working out, you will most definitely be sore. Even if you are used to it, when you push yourself you'll be sore, but it usually fades after a day or so.

Enjoy, you'll learn to love it!

HomeDepot
11-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Make sure to warm up before you exercise, cool down after you finish, and ALWAYS stretch after your cool down.

This may seem counter-intuitive but with weight lifting (which I take up and drop often) I have always found that the cure to my initial soreness is my second workout a couple days later, so don't give up! ^_^