PDA

View Full Version : Niholoid Design

alliaxandromeda
11-28-2010, 08:30 AM
A while back, I posted a question asking questions about existing designs for the Hetalia parody of Vocaloid.

For the sake of ease, I drew up a different design for Niholoid, but before I start making it, I wondered if people would be able to tell me what they think of it?

http://alliaxandromeda.deviantart.com/art/Niholoid-186168360

I was trying to make the outfit look in keeping with the more iconic Vocaloids, but still keep him recognizable(?) as Japan.

Sikorsky
11-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I think that's really cool! It encorporates both the Hetalia and Vocaloid designs so they're both recognisable in the costume. I hope you do cosplay this ^^

Axelai
11-28-2010, 01:57 PM
To me, your version looks just like a recolor of Len, and not really... original, per say. I think you should probably try and make it look more like one of Japan's actual outfits, like his uniform or his official Niholoid design. Since if it looks too much like Len, people are going to think you're evil Len or something ^^; A design on paper doesn't always come off right as an actual person, you know? You'll know its Niholoid, but everyone else won't know the art and think you're an evil Len.

So, in my opinion, i think you should do a redesign of it to look more like the character Japan, and less of Len. Maybe change the color scheme a bit, but keep the actual clothing style (with a few tweaks).

This is all just my opinion ^^ Others might not agree.

alliaxandromeda
11-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Since if it looks too much like Len, people are going to think you're evil Len or something ^^; A design on paper doesn't always come off right as an actual person, you know? You'll know its Niholoid, but everyone else won't know the art and think you're an evil Len.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I drew a few other Hetalia-Vocaloid crossovers (Italy, England and America) and for them, I had their country's flag on the left hand side of the shirt where the pocket would be.

I did wonder whether to use purple instead of red, given that purple is the colour of the 'official' Niholoid, but I thought at the time red would be better since it's one of the colours of his flag.

Another idea I had would be to have a large red circle in the centre of his shirt - I saw an 'Iggyloid' whose uniform was similar to Miku's but had the British Flag design for the shirt.

I did look long and hard at Japan's existing outfits, but it's actually harder than a lot of people think to try and create an intermediate.

Axelai
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. I drew a few other Hetalia-Vocaloid crossovers (Italy, England and America) and for them, I had their country's flag on the left hand side of the shirt where the pocket would be.

I did wonder whether to use purple instead of red, given that purple is the colour of the 'official' Niholoid, but I thought at the time red would be better since it's one of the colours of his flag.

Another idea I had would be to have a large red circle in the centre of his shirt - I saw an 'Iggyloid' whose uniform was similar to Miku's but had the British Flag design for the shirt.

I did look long and hard at Japan's existing outfits, but it's actually harder than a lot of people think to try and create an intermediate.

I think you should go with the purple, and maybe make his arm warmers more like Kimono sleeves. And put the japanese flag somewhere more noticeable than just that part in the middle. Then i think it'd be more recognizable. Since with just that color scheme and "nihon" written on that part of his chest, its not particularly recognizable as Japan, ya know?

If you want, i can sketch up my alteration of your picture later, in what i think would be a tad more noticeable as Japan. (I would do that right now, but my tablet is at home, and i won't be home for another 5 hours or so)

alliaxandromeda
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Many thanks =D

Just had a thought. Instead of altering the armwarmers' shape, would it be a good move to incorporate onto them the design that is on the cuffs of Japan's naval jacket?

Because I also thought that if I inverted the colour of the shirt, and replaced red with gold, I'd have Black!Kiku Niholoid 8D

Axelai
11-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Many thanks =D

Just had a thought. Instead of altering the armwarmers' shape, would it be a good move to incorporate onto them the design that is on the cuffs of Japan's naval jacket?

Because I also thought that if I inverted the colour of the shirt, and replaced red with gold, I'd have Black!Kiku Niholoid 8D

Oh, that works too o: I was just saying Kimono sleeves since it'd look more like the official design, + looks very Japanesey

alliaxandromeda
11-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Oh, that works too o: I was just saying Kimono sleeves since it'd look more like the official design, + looks very Japanesey

Because the convention I'm going to falls around the time of my last year of high school exams, I thought the arm warmers would be quicker and easier to make, since my sewing machine skills are very very limited, that's all.

If I had more time and more skill, I'd go with your idea.

Axelai
11-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Because the convention I'm going to falls around the time of my last year of high school exams, I thought the arm warmers would be quicker and easier to make, since my sewing machine skills are very very limited, that's all.

If I had more time and more skill, I'd go with your idea.

Kimono sleeves aren't hard to make o: I've made two kimonos in one day before, with no sewing skills XD;;

But its your choice c:

alliaxandromeda
12-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Kimono sleeves aren't hard to make o: I've made two kimonos in one day before, with no sewing skills XD;;

I know full well that kimonos aren't hard to make in principle; if I was sewing by hand, I could do it, but I'm not very savvy with my sewing machine. Two and a bit years ago, I wanted to make a kimono for my Halloween costume. Since I had next to no sewing ability at that point, I asked my aunt for help, since she's made her own clothes in the past. Also, even though I wanted to be the one to make it, both my mum and my aunt insisted, in essence, that I don't get involved.

Ever since, my mum has been very paranoid about me engaging in any sewing project because my aunt wasn't able to make it in under a week, and even then, it came out wrong. I myself am not too fazed by making something like a kimono, but I know that my mum would forbid me from making one. Which is why a design similar to Rin/Len Kagamine would be less stressful - I could buy a white T-Shirt, and a pair of black shorts, and the sewing involved would be, in my mum's eyes, minimal. If I planned it carefully, detail would be removable so that I could wear the clothes as ordinary outfits, since again, my mum is strict about cosplay clothing.